Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Explain why the boiling point of hydrogen bromide lies between those of hydrogen chlo Watch

ReputationRep:
    Explain why the boiling point of hydrogen bromide lies between those of hydrogen chloride and hydrogen iodide

FIRST i thought polar-molecules but they all are, then I thought electronegativity but that would contradict the boiling points

so..
    I said because Bromide is a smaller molecule than iodide therefore less electrons and weaker van de Waals forces on the other hand it is a larger molecule than chloride atom therefore more electrons and stronger van der waals forces.

correct?

ReputationRep:
    So it was right to talk about van de Waals?
    I knew it!

ReputationRep:
    Explain why the boiling points of HBr is lower than HI but higher than HCL?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    HI is a larger molecule (has more electrons) than HBr and therefore has more/stronger forces of van der waals so more energy is required to break these bonds thats why it has a higher boiling point. Opposite reasoning for HCl.

ReputationRep:
    SO i WAS RIGHT? YAY

Poll
Is GoT overrated?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.