vet_hopeful!_worried
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Hi everyone,

Could I please ask for help with an empirical formula question I'm stuck on? Is there generally a best way to approach these questions? Thank you very much every1!

16g of hydrocarbon burn in excess oxygen to produce 44g of carbon dioxide. What is the empirical formula of the hydrocarbon?

(hint given was to work out the mass of carbon contained in 44g of CO2, which is the same as the mass of C in 16g of the hydrocarbon). (The answers say it is methane).

Thanks again. Struggling with these
tobnot
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vet_hopeful!_worried)
Hi everyone,

Could I please ask for help with an empirical formula question I'm stuck on? Is there generally a best way to approach these questions? Thank you very much every1!

16g of hydrocarbon burn in excess oxygen to produce 44g of carbon dioxide. What is the empirical formula of the hydrocarbon?

(hint given was to work out the mass of carbon contained in 44g of CO2, which is the same as the mass of C in 16g of the hydrocarbon). (The answers say it is methane).

I've always used this rhyme (it's never let me down):

Percent to Mass
Mass to Mole
Divide by Small
Multiply 'till Whole.

Hope this helps!
ryanboi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mr of CO2 is 44. so 44g divide 44= 1 mol

1 mol of CO2 contain 1 mol of C
and because one mole of hydrocarbon react to form one mole of CO2

therefore the hydrocarbon should contain one mole of C too.

1 mole of CO2 made from 1 mole of hydrocarbon.

1 mole= 16g divide by Mr of hydrocarbon.
Rearrange, = 16g divide by 1= Mr=16

Mr of this hydrocarbon=16 and this hydrocarbon contain one mole of C

one mole of C=Mr of C=12
16-12=4
Hydrocarbon consist of carbon and hydrogen and Mr of H=1
so 4 hydrogen in this hydrocarbon.

therefore, one C and 4 Hydrogen=CH4=Methane.
ElMoro
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by vet_hopeful!_worried)
Hi everyone,

First, notice how the question says excess oxygen this means that it is complete combustion so CO2 and H2O are the products of the reaction

We have the mass of the CO2 so we can work out how many moles of CO2 we have

Spoiler:
Show
1 mole

This means that we had one mole of carbon atoms in the original hydrocarbon which has a mass of 12g

The hydrocarbon has a mass of 16g so that means the mass of the hydrogen is 16-12=4g

Next you'll need to work out how many moles of hydrogen you have and from there you have the empirical formula

Hope this helps. Need more depth just shout :wink2:
vet_hopeful!_worried
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
Thank you very much everyone, X
ramadan123456
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.04%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.14%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (32)
8.29%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.5%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.33%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed