Turn on thread page Beta

Should anti-Islam cartoons have been published ??? watch

• View Poll Results: Should "anti-Islam" cartoons have been published ???
    Yes
    58.59%
    No
    41.41%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherrychocolate)
    They are reacting in the worst possible way IMO.You know,reacting violently to a cartoon depicting Mohammed as a bombing and thus suggesting that Muslims are terrorists and then going on to set fire to flags and threatening Danish embassies and so on is NOT making them look very good.
    the best way for them to react would havwe been for all arab media to join forces and post anti-jewish and anti-christian caricatures, continuously and seen the reaction when the shoe was on the other foot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teehar)
    it isn't sexist, and nowhere in the Quran does it say "be anti western". it is as homophobic as all the other major religions. the list does not go on. like all scriptures Islam is open to interpretation, that is why you get freaks who claim to act in the name of Islam when commiting atrocious acts. the only difference is, nobody is sad enough to sit down and read the new testament or the torah and think of how it can be amnipulated to turn christianity and judaism into horrific religions. at the end of the day if you are against the whole concept of faith, then i respect this, even if you are anti Islam, i respect your right to do so, but please do not make judgements based upon ill informed information. if you feel that you cannot be bothered to read the Quran and truly understand its meaning, then fine, do not do so, but then please do not comment on its content.
    Why did you chop the other bit of my post, that criticised the way you were constantly mentioning jews as though it is the same thing as Islam?

And i've seen enough of the Quran to dislike it, as I have done the Bible (old testament) and there is nothing wrong with criticising them, especially when I constantly see religious activists using such religions to discriminate against homosexuals.

If muslims can't take criticism then they should shut up and mind their own business in future, it is a game of two players and Muslims don't have some moral monopoly (or atleast they shouldn't).

I'm fine with people criticising homosexuality, what I do is counter it with debate and discussion. I don't see why muslims can't be as reasonable in their conduct. I've been 'insulted' on many occassions, but I would never, ever call for any intervention into other peoples rights to free speech.
    I am as must a victim of other peoples beliefs as muslims are, in fact probably more than you, and despite that, I have no problem with people exercising their rights.

(Original post by Beekeeper)
    I must say, I am gobsmacked that so many people have voted 'no'.

It is a religion for heavens sake, you should be able to mock it as much as you see fit, even the Christians agree with me on this one.
    Perhaps Islam is just not compatible with Western values then?
    I don't!

ReputationRep:
    Common sense is not something that needs to be put into law. Do you really think that people are unable or not obliged to see the logic and consequences of their actions? In this case newspapers exercised their right to publish not very funny cartoons that were going to inspire rage. They had the right to do that; that does not mean they were right to do it. Here they ended up with the worst ending- offending everyone and apologising too because it wasn't important enough for them to risk more enmity over. Ditto with other european papers. People leap up and announce they fight for a principal and then realise that apart from the principal it's a silly fuss and not worth bothering about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teehar)
    the best way for them to react would havwe been for all arab media to join forces and post anti-jewish and anti-christian caricatures, continuously and seen the reaction when the shoe was on the other foot.
    Yes,exactly.Although the problem there is it could escalate and create some real problems,far worse than a few silly tw*ts setting fire to a few flags and shouting 'Death to Denmark'(or whatever it is).

I wonder if this will lead to the terrorism alert being raised.After all,Westerners have been experiencing problems in the Middle East due to all this.

ReputationRep:
    While watching BBC News 24 before, on the centreal london rally against the cartoons of The Prophet, I saw what I thought I'd never see. Watch the signs closely what are being held up if you get a chance, written on Cardboard, you can read messages like

'Europe your 9/11 will come'

'Hitler will be saved in allahs eyes'

'Massachre (Sp?) the danish'

'7/7 in every european capital - Allahs revenge will be served'

I'm not saying the cartoons were a good thing put the messages and retailations to the drawings are stupid. I have the right to offend and I have the right to fell offened if one hell of a way to go. I would be angry if someone was drawing dipictions of the head of my religion, but the response is almost proving the cartoonists right, with bomb threats and asuch. Also, I'd like to comment that goverment run newspapers in islamic countries daily post cartoons of Jews, like autswihz (Sp?) with israeli flags, children with stars of david on their clothing being sent into gas chambers and a such. Did you see Jews storming the countries in questions embassy? No you didn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    "You can f**k my wife, but don't kick my dog?"
    Well, I wouldn't mind, as far as wife herself is a believer of infedelity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beekeeper)
    Islam is a viscious religion
    Now that remind me of Nick Griffin since you share the same QUOTE

ReputationRep:
    And as was said on the ITV news,yes,those cartoons were offensive,but isn't celebrating the September 11th atrocity 100 times worse?
    Although you've a rather sensible point here, however, sadly, you're view would be cast aside saying "Oh well, that JUST a minority"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnaChance)
    While watching BBC News 24 before, on the centreal london rally against the cartoons of The Prophet, I saw what I thought I'd never see. Watch the signs closely what are being held up if you get a chance, written on Cardboard, you can read messages like

I'm not saying the cartoons were a good thing put the messages and retailations to the drawings are stupid. I have the right to offend and I have the right to fell offened if one hell of a way to go. I would be angry if someone was drawing dipictions of the head of my religion, but the response is almost proving the cartoonists right, with bomb threats and asuch. Also, I'd like to comment that goverment run newspapers in islamic countries daily post cartoons of Jews, like autswihz (Sp?) with israeli flags, children with stars of david on their clothing being sent into gas chambers and a such. Did you see Jews storming the countries in questions embassy? No you didn't
    That reminds of Gandhi, when he said .......... "an eye for an eye, will make the whole world blind"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnaChance)

If I went into Central London with a sign even remotely offensive to a Muslim,let alone one that threatens to kill and destroy I would be immediately arrested.Why is this being allowed?Get the police down there.

Now,what is worse?A stupid drawing in one tiny little newspaper or people in Central London threatening more bombings and more death?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j4mes_bond25)
    Although you've a rather sensible point here, however, sadly, you're view would be cast aside saying "Oh well, that JUST a minority"
    Yes,maybe just a minority of Muslims celebrated September 11th.This cartoon was only published in one newspaper though(well,when this whole thing broke out,I'm aware it's now ben published in France).I think celebrating one of the most terrible things to happen in recent times is a lot worse than a drawing in a newspaper which didn't even say anything THAT bad IMO.Yes,it was silly to depict Mohammed as a terrorist but it's just the same as any other silly cartoon in a newspaper poking fun at someone/something.

Except this time it's been taken completely out of context and viewed as incitement to racial hatred and all sorts of rubbish.I doubt that the artist actually intended to stir up hatred.

Well, I wouldn't mind, as far as wife herself is a believer of infedelity
    We can tell you don't have a wife whom you love and respect! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    If I went into Central London with a sign even remotely offensive to a Muslim,let alone one that threatens to kill and destroy I would be immediately arrested.Why is this being allowed?Get the police down there.p
    BLOODY Labour :mad:

Now,what is worse?A stupid drawing in one tiny little newspaper or people in Central London threatening more bombings and more death?
    Ummmmm............. People in Central London OPENLY threatening more bombings & more death, I would've thought but they are MERELY exercising their own "Freedom of Expression", I suppose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    We can tell you don't have a wife whom you love and respect! :rolleyes:
    As a matter of fact, I don't have a WIFE at all

ReputationRep:
    BLOODY Labour :mad:

Ummmmm............. People in Central London OPENLY threatening more bombings & more death, I would've thought but they are MERELY exercising their own "Freedom of Expression", I suppose
    Pfft,freedom of expression.That's all the Danish newspaper were doing:rolleyes:

I'm wondering why the hell people are "campaigning" (i.e. rioting probably) in London anyway-the UK have nothing to do with this thing.There's no use going to the Danish embassy,they have nothing to do with it.

I get the feeling some people are just using this as an excuse to be incredibly racist and express hatred towards Westerners.

ReputationRep:
    Well whether it should or shouldnt have published the article is a minor question at this time. The really more important question is
    Have they not thought that this would have a created this huge rage and what impact would this have?

All in all this is YET again another reason Ousama could add to his list to incite hatred.

ReputationRep:
    This made me laugh, In the Telegraph:

"The protesters held placards, one declaring: 'Behead the one who insults the prophet.' Another said: 'Free speech go to hell.'"

How can you say 'free speech go to hell' in a protest?

ReputationRep:
    has anyone actually seen these cartoons? i can't find them anywhere....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chewwy)
    has anyone actually seen these cartoons? i can't find them anywhere....
    I saw them but they were covered with huge 'censored' stickers.Try google?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.