Turn on thread page Beta

Should anti-Islam cartoons have been published ??? watch

• View Poll Results: Should "anti-Islam" cartoons have been published ???
    Yes
    58.59%
    No
    41.41%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teehar)
    the best way for them to react would havwe been for all arab media to join forces and post anti-jewish and anti-christian caricatures, continuously and seen the reaction when the shoe was on the other foot.
    They do that already. That's why the barbarians don't have a bloody leg to stand on over this issue. The muslim world pours out anti-semitism in every form on every media available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    Another said: 'Free speech go to hell.'"

How can you say 'free speech go to hell' in a protest?

Ahaha. That's classic.

Eh this just seems to be a complete tempest in a teacup - and those protesting against the cartoons have made themselves look incredibly silly. But I suppose this will fuel far-right anti Muslim opinion as well as the anti Western sentiment of some (many?) Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't muslims just refuse to look at them? Or why don't they just say;

"yeah sure, you've drawn a pretty picture and labelled it 'mohammed' but it isn't really him you know. It looks nothing like him. It's just a picture of a man. not of mohammed."

Why?

And no, you can't argue that the very idea of the pictures offends muslims because then what next? If I'm eating a lovely pork sandwich in front of a muslim would that offend them? Why the hell should we observe their religious practises if we are not members of that religion?

ReputationRep:
    And no, you can't argue that the very idea of the pictures offends muslims because then what next? If I'm eating a lovely pork sandwich in front of a muslim would that offend them? Why the hell should we observe their religious practises if we are not members of that religion?
    Hmmm I dunno but we once had a Muslim student staying with us who asked if there was pork in our orange juice :confused:

It can be hard to reconcile freedom of speech with tolerance, but we should always be free to satirise or criticise any ideology. Especially when a lot of those cartoons seemed to be poking fun at the distorted view of Islam which, for example, is used to convince suicide bombers that what they're doing is okay. And as Jonathon said, there are some examples of far more hideous anti-semitic cartoons in the Arab media

ReputationRep:
    hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Loved that cartoon! :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    in the "civilised" west we have the power of freedom of speech, does that then justify going around insulting and swearing at any person we come across, does freedom of speech also justify disrespect of race's and religions, last i saw these actions were punishable by law, then why do over 30 people on this thread feel it ok that the anti-islam pictures were published? if anti-semitic pictures were published why would the artists then be charged with a criminal offence, but the legal system doesnt think it necessary to act on anti-islamic cartoonists?

ReputationRep:
    70% saying yes!!! What a bunch of ignorant fools. You are telling me it is okay to provoke an entire religion. You are telling me that drawing cartoons that infer that muslims are all terrorists that are then circulated in major newspapers in europe as responsible.

I could never make racist comments and hope to get away woth it in the guise of free speech. It is ridiculous that newspapers are using this to highight freedom of speech.

Should anti-islam cartoons have been published. When major newspapers publish them and then millions of europeans buy these newspapers, what does this tell me? As far as im concerned this gives the rest of the world the message that people are prejudiced in europe against muslims because of the actions of a few terrorists.

These started out as satirical cartoons. Now they have been taken from that context and published by major european newspapers to state that we can offend all muslims around the world and there is nothing you can do about it.

I am horrified at the result of this poll. Any sensible person will immediately realise that these cartoons were completely distasteful.

The reactions of a few muslims in and around the world has been a huge mistake.

They have turned this into an ideolistic conflict about freedom of speech vs. respect of other people's beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    ^ But does respect of other people's beliefs mean not questioning them at all, ever? If we disagree with people who use Islam to justify killing innocent civilians, or executing homosexuals, or treating women as second class citizens, then we should be able to say so. Plenty of Muslims have fleed to the West for more freedoms - and now those freedoms come under attack?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost101)
    70% saying yes!!! What a bunch of ignorant fools. You are telling me it is okay to provoke an entire religion. You are telling me that drawing cartoons that infer that muslims are all terrorists that are then circulated in major newspapers in europe as responsible.
    So you voted no? Would you like me to throw out my pork sandwich and bottle of vodka and instead be beaten by my [future] husband and have to grovel like a slave several times a day?

You know what you can do:

Go **** yourself!

you know what provokes me?

thousands of idiots getting their knickers in a twist over something as trivial as this. where is their sense of humour.

I've an idea....now, I know this might be a tad scary and new for some people but, how about, if they are offended they don't look!

:eek: Yes yes yes...a major breakthrough I know...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    oh for ****s sake - they're at it again! :mad:

"butcher those who mock islam"? :eek:

Get a sense of humour people else, just DON'T LOOK!!!!

ReputationRep:
    It isn't so much the fact that anti-Islam cartoons should or shouldn't be published - rather it's the fact that for Islamic persons, ANY image of Mohammed is offensive. He is not meant to be depicted in any way. This is what is bad about this particular incident. Oh, and the fact that he had a bomb in his turban...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax)
    ^ But does respect of other people's beliefs mean not questioning them at all, ever? If we disagree with people who use Islam to justify killing innocent civilians, or executing homosexuals, or treating women as second class citizens, then we should be able to say so. Plenty of Muslims have fleed to the West for more freedoms - and now those freedoms come under attack?

The cartoons are not questioning beliefs or aguing a point. They are there to create offense. You tell me what the cartoon with Mohammed s.a.w his turban with a rifle is questioning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Che!)
    It isn't so much the fact that anti-Islam cartoons should or shouldn't be published - rather it's the fact that for Islamic persons, ANY image of Mohammed is offensive. He is not meant to be depicted in any way. This is what is bad about this particular incident. Oh, and the fact that he had a bomb in his turban...

No, if it was merley pictures, it would not create such offense. Pictures have existed for hundreds of years. They are blatantly offrensive.

ReputationRep:
    Let me rephrase the question:

Should anti-semitic comments be made by newspapers?

ReputationRep:
    We know. We DON'T CARE WHETHER IT'S OFFENSIVE.

Religion is all dandy by me, but freedom of speech takes a higher value.

ReputationRep:
    The cartoons are not questioning beliefs or aguing a point. They are there to create offense. You tell me what the cartoon with Mohammed s.a.w his turban with a rifle is questioning?
    They were supposed to test whether or not freedom of speech still existed in Denmark.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is saying that freedom of speech should not be universal. Just tell me by publishing these cartoons what point you are making and what you are hoping to achieve?

ReputationRep:
    Erm yeah it is, in a way, --> questioning the perversion of Islam into a religion which allows violence towards innocent civilians or non believers perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dougie)
    They were supposed to test whether or not freedom of speech still existed in Denmark.
    Incorrect, they have been turned into that by newspapers. They have turned it into a front for freedom of speech. A front that could be made elsewhere and not by ridiculing religions.

ReputationRep:
    Let me rephrase the question:

Should anti-semitic comments be made by newspapers?
    This has been said countless times, but the state controlled newspapers in Arab countries don't seem to have any problem printing anti-semitic comments or cartoons.

There is a difference between questioning an ideology and actually being threatening to those who hold a belief in that ideology. We can question Judaism all we like, but most people don't have a problem with the religion itself. But obviously saying nasty things about the Jews as a people isn't acceptable. I do however, accept that Muslims do feel marginalised in Western countries, and especially in Denmark, so perhaps the cartoons weren't a good idea for that reason.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.