Turn on thread page Beta

Should anti-Islam cartoons have been published ??? watch

• View Poll Results: Should "anti-Islam" cartoons have been published ???
    Yes
    58.59%
    No
    41.41%

ReputationRep:
    What makes me laugh is how people mock christianity severely and on a daily basis with little response.

The moment muslims get offended, everyone jumps up and down...

ReputationRep:
    "'The Daily Telegraph has chosen not to publish the cartoons. We prefer not to cause gratuitous offence to some of our readers, a policy we also apply, for example, to pictures of graphic nudity or violence. We are equally in no doubt that a small minority of Muslims would be offended by such a publication to an extent where they would threaten, and perhaps even use, violence. This is a problem that the whole of the Western world needs to confront frankly, and not sidestep.'

Translation - we don't want to offend Muslims because we fear reprisals. We're **** scared of them and don't mind admitting it.

Of course, even in times of appeasement, the Telegraph is along way behind Al-Guardian..

"printing cartoons of Muhammad creates fear and insecurity of Muslims across Europe" (apparently, to do so "feeds into profound feelings of disempowerment, fear and insecurity among Muslims").

or the Independent..

"The affair is an example of Western ignorance and arrogance combined."

Uh-huh, how arrogant of us to want to defend free speech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Stop being fakin stupid.
    Curious to how you got 'UKL Debator of the Year 2004'
    My question was simple, are you deporting those who are showing hostile to aspects of the West or all muslims and how do you decide/find all those who are being hostile and whatnot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toto8462)
    What makes me laugh is how people mock christianity severely and on a daily basis with little response.

The moment muslims get offended, everyone jumps up and down...
    Its because offending a minority will always have such an effect and it is important to make sure minorities do not feel prejudiced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    Curious to how you got 'UKL Debator of the Year 2004'
    My question was simple, are you deporting those who are showing hostile to aspects of the West or all muslims and how do you decide/find all those who are being hostile and whatnot
    Why don't you read post 116? I think that'll clarify my position as to WHO exactly I am talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)

"The affair is an example of Western ignorance and arrogance combined."

Uh-huh, how arrogant of us to want to defend free speech.
    Nobody is arguing that. Why would you use such a topic to demonstrate free speech? Arrogance as in, we are right in choosing what is taboo and what isnt, we are right in deciding that freedom of speech spreads to being able to insult religions. We need not be sensitive about what other nations think. We believe that *the cartoons in question* are hilarious at the expense of an entire people.

ReputationRep:
    I don't condone any kind of religeous hatred or abuse. However...

At the slightest hint of persecution a bunch of protestors condemn the western world to death?

Why is Islam so violent?

it is important to make sure minorities do not feel prejudiced
    Since when was Islam a minority!

I never never seen such violent protesting from Christianity even after all the bashing it take. At least Christianity practises what it preaches...

ReputationRep:
    Its just cartoons, c'mon, I mean if you try to blame West for being prejudice about Islam, they tend to mock with their own beliefs and religions to. Feel free bro

ReputationRep:
    Its just cartoons, c'mon, I mean if you try to blame West for being prejudice about Islam, they tend to mock with their own beliefs and religions too. Feel free bro

ReputationRep:
    for god sake, i love newcastle united but i wouldnt go and protest and want to kill people if a cartoon had a pop at alan shearer...and he is actually a real life miracle performer (:P) not some fictional dude for a book. you wouldnt expect harry potter fans to protest over an anti HP thing either

pathetic

ReputationRep:
    for god sake, i love newcastle united but i wouldnt go and protest and want to kill people if a cartoon had a pop at alan shearer

pathetic
    So is your argument. Afterall, how many people follow Newcastle?

Just kidding... At least you don't love chelsqe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lone Fox)
    Actually, it's incredibly ironic that muslims respond to their being branded terrorists with threats of terrorism.

My favourite quote so far, as in it is quite true. It is an example of how muslim actions to such issues can prevent further occurrences.
    Aggression needs to be removed from the religion! (not that it was in the religion, just muslims in particular regions of the world)

Also, im glad to see the poll is now changing with more people accepting that these cartoons were unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just curious and dont slate me too much :p:
    but if people are allowed to publish these cartoons under freedom of speech and expression, why can't crazy muslims make stupid death threats, why cant they, under freedom of speech, say anything and everything to anyone?
    The guy saying this could pretend its a pointless, tasteless joke and just trying to show people can be blown up :rolleyes:
    I just think there has to be a limit to freedom of speech so you dont just go around offending and threatning people...

ReputationRep:
    but if people are allowed to publish these cartoons under freedom of speech and expression, why can't crazy muslims make stupid death threats, why cant they, under freedom of speech, say anything and everything to anyone?
    The guy saying this could pretend its a pointless, tasteless joke and just trying to show people can be blown up :rolleyes:
    I just think there has to be a limit to freedom of speech so you dont just go around offending and threatning people...
    Well, quite honestly if freedom of speech needs to be curtailed to such an extent that it doesn't offend anybody at all we'd hardly be able to utter or write a word.

Besides, what gives somebody the right not to be offended exactly? Where does this ludicrous and unworkeable idea come from?

ReputationRep:

Offence is actaully a good thing. It makes us think about our beliefs and challenges us it this acts as a central dynamic for progress in society. It's when you are allowed to say what you want that innovation breeds.

ReputationRep:
    on channel 4 news tonight they had signs "behead those who insult islam" tad overdramatic. would such a fuss be made if it was a cartoon made mocking christians? nope. crazy radicals :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dupoynt)
    on channel 4 news tonight they had signs "behead those who insult islam" tad overdramatic. would such a fuss be made if it was a cartoon made mocking christians? nope. crazy radicals :|

my head says they have a right to protest etc but my heart wants someone to shoot them all.

ReputationRep:
    When The BBC was reporting the march in London - One of the signs said 'Europe your 9/11 will come'

My arugments over

ReputationRep:
    They are being waay overdramatic, one tiny cartoon seriously christians get taken the mick out of all the time, they need to just realise they dont have monopoly on the truth. Its all being blown waay out of proportion, while i agree with people should have the freedom of speech , whats the point in Danish newspapers printing an item they know will cause trouble , just to assert their right to freedom of speech. Hardcore muslims have shown themselves to be dangerous and have bombed us , so why shake the bee's nest just to prove a point, it just isnt worth it.

I realise that not all muslims are immigrants and many have lived here for many years and are avalid part of society but i hate people who make a conscious effort to come to this country, despite strongly beliving that it is the source of the devil, and expect people to agree with them and get angry and call them sinners when they dont. Just dont come over here , it makes sense to enforce those strong rules in a country which is actually dominated by that religion, and where there are like minded people. I just thyink these hardcore muslim fundamentalism are just making themselves upopular and is reflecting badly on the decent peaceful muslims who are now getting stick because of these stubborn idiots.

ReputationRep:
    kill them all!! brainwashed fools!

theres my freedom of speech.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.