The Student Room Group

Edexcel chemistry - unit 2 19th january 2012

Poll

WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'LL GET ?

Helllooooo People :biggrin:
Hoping everyone's revision is going goood :smile:

This thread is made for revision & discussion of anything related to unit 2 chemistry:smile:
Just thought if everyone would share their useful chemistry knowledge & make the world richer :P

Goood Luck folks :colone:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by aqua05
Helllooooo People :biggrin:
Hoping everyone's revision is going goood :smile:

This thread is made for revision & discussion of anything related to unit 2 chemistry:smile:
Just thought if everyone would share their useful chemistry knowledge & make the world richer :P

Goood Luck folks :colone:

I'm re-sitting this unit as I got a B overall in AS Chemistry last year but was just 6 UMS marks off an A. To make it easier for me to get an A overall in the A2 exams it was best to resit otherwise it will hold me back!

I'm working my way through the Edexcel AS Students' Book and I've finished the first 3 chapters (shapes of molecules, electronegativity and intermolecular forces) so just about to start redox. How's your revision going?
Reply 2
Original post by Cetacea
I'm re-sitting this unit as I got a B overall in AS Chemistry last year but was just 6 UMS marks off an A. To make it easier for me to get an A overall in the A2 exams it was best to resit otherwise it will hold me back!

I'm working my way through the Edexcel AS Students' Book and I've finished the first 3 chapters (shapes of molecules, electronegativity and intermolecular forces) so just about to start redox. How's your revision going?

I'm resitting this unit as well... this year the unit 2 paper was waaay tooo difficult !:frown:
Reply 3
Original post by aqua05
I'm resitting this unit as well... this year the unit 2 paper was waaay tooo difficult !:frown:

I know! I didn't do too badly on the MC section but I fell down on the structured section, especially the diagram question for 4 marks, the titrations and the NO2 question. Which questions did you find difficult?
I'll be doing this unit again. The most difficult part is probably group 2 and 7 stuff, a lot to remember.
Reply 5
Original post by Cetacea
I know! I didn't do too badly on the MC section but I fell down on the structured section, especially the diagram question for 4 marks, the titrations and the NO2 question. Which questions did you find difficult?

I know i messed up section B the most :frown:
Reply 6
Original post by NutterFrutter
I'll be doing this unit again. The most difficult part is probably group 2 and 7 stuff, a lot to remember.

Thats true !
Reply 7
the hardest thing is memorizing colour of iodine in different things !! :tongue: chlorine is mostly pale yellow , bromine is brown , iodine is different in every thing !!!!! :tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by moizedexcel
the hardest thing is memorizing colour of iodine in different things !! :tongue: chlorine is mostly pale yellow , bromine is brown , iodine is different in every thing !!!!! :tongue:

I know what you're saying, although I remember iodine easily because it's violet in an organic solvent which is quite a bold colour!

I think the best way to learn the Group 7 colours in water and organic solvent is just to write them out over and over again and perhaps cover up the halogen or its colour and name it from memory.

A couple of points:
1. I read an examiner's report of Edexcel Unit 2 and they said that they prefer you to say pale green or green in terms of the colour of chlorine in water, although 'virtually colourless' may be accepted occasionally.

2. It's best to say bromine is yellow-orange in water because strictly speaking iodine is brown in water, so saying they are both brown wouldn't be correct!
Reply 9
Original post by Cetacea
I know what you're saying, although I remember iodine easily because it's violet in an organic solvent which is quite a bold colour!

I think the best way to learn the Group 7 colours in water and organic solvent is just to write them out over and over again and perhaps cover up the halogen or its colour and name it from memory.

A couple of points:
1. I read an examiner's report of Edexcel Unit 2 and they said that they prefer you to say pale green or green in terms of the colour of chlorine in water, although 'virtually colourless' may be accepted occasionally.

2. It's best to say bromine is yellow-orange in water because strictly speaking iodine is brown in water, so saying they are both brown wouldn't be correct!

aww jee thanks !! those are some nice tips ...! :smile: so iodine in hydrocarbon solvent is red or violet ....?!? i read somewhere red ...?!

aww jee thanks !! those are some nice tips ...! :smile: so iodine in hydrocarbon solvent is red or violet ....?!? i read somewhere red ...?!

Purple/violet.
Original post by NutterFrutter
Purple/violet.

ok please can u gimme a nice explanation of iodine thiosulphate titration ( i h8 it !!) its so difficult can u tell me what do v know and what do n have to know ..?! and reducing agents and oxidising agents in it....?!?!
Reply 12
so does anyone have checklist or just a list of different types of experiment we should know how to draw out?
Reply 13
Original post by arnab
so does anyone have checklist or just a list of different types of experiment we should know how to draw out?

Based on what apparatus is drawn in most AS textbooks, I should think the following pieces of apparatus are good to know how to draw:

-Reflux apparatus
-Distillation apparatus
-Separating funnels
-Gas syringes

There isn't a lot else they can ask to be honest, but I was reading something written by a chief examiner and they said that diagrams aren't drawn particularly well in exams at the moment! The most common one is probably people drawing sealed apparatus (which in reality would cause a build-up of pressure therefore explosion!)

I think you also have to know about errors with apparatus, e.g. incorrect water flow, sealed apparatus, thermometer bulb too high in distillation apparatus etc. as it came up in one of the 2009 papers (June I think).

Hope that helps.
Reply 14
Original post by Cetacea
Based on what apparatus is drawn in most AS textbooks, I should think the following pieces of apparatus are good to know how to draw:

-Reflux apparatus
-Distillation apparatus
-Separating funnels
-Gas syringes

There isn't a lot else they can ask to be honest, but I was reading something written by a chief examiner and they said that diagrams aren't drawn particularly well in exams at the moment! The most common one is probably people drawing sealed apparatus (which in reality would cause a build-up of pressure therefore explosion!)

I think you also have to know about errors with apparatus, e.g. incorrect water flow, sealed apparatus, thermometer bulb too high in distillation apparatus etc. as it came up in one of the 2009 papers (June I think).

Hope that helps.

THANKS! do you have any usefull links for those drawing?:biggrin:
Reply 15
errm a bit confused....do we need to need about group2 stuff for unit1? just did the unit1 paper for june 2009 and there were some group2 question which i thought can only come up in unit2?

Also can someone help me understand this question :

Which of the following has the smallest ionic radius and WHY?

A. F-

B. Na+

C. Mg+2

D. O-2

The numbers refer to charge of each ion. The right answer is C but can someone give me a reason for it please?
Reply 16
2+ has higher charge density than 1+, hence the size of 2+ will be smaller. Dnt be confused by the "-" ...Still remember tat the ionic radius of "-" always bigger than parent atom and "+" always smaller the parent atom? Now,can u relate their relationship? :smile::smile: hehehe hope u understand wat i meant...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by arnab
THANKS! do you have any usefull links for those drawing?:biggrin:

Have a look here for the reflux and distillation apparatus. There's a good diagram of a separating funnel here on Chemguide (towards the bottom of the page).
Reply 18
Original post by Cetacea
Have a look here for the reflux and distillation apparatus. There's a good diagram of a separating funnel here on Chemguide (towards the bottom of the page).

THANKS YOU!!!

also can you tell me, do we need to know about group2 stuff for unit1?
Reply 19
Original post by arnab
THANKS YOU!!!

also can you tell me, do we need to know about group2 stuff for unit1?

I'm not actually re-sitting Unit 1 but from what I remember I don't think it really comes up. Check the specification (on the Edexcel website) or ask your teacher. I think it's just bonding, energetics, introductory organic chemistry, moles and formula calculations and the periodic table. This last section may contain group 2.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending