What happens if you take amoxicillin and don't need it? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
What happens if you take amoxicillin and don't need it?
bestofyou
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you implode
stargirl2012
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Probably nowt. It's not the best idea bit you won't die.
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
you die a horrible death.
LeeC
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What happens if you take amoxicillin and don't need it?
You pointlessly help harmful bacteria develop resistance to antibiotics. Diseases such as gonorrea are already becoming very resistant to conventional antibiotics.

Also you wipe out a lot of bacteria in your body, which could give you a dodgy stomach, smelly breath perhaps.
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Not much. You would just get the typical side effects. Maybe a bit of nausea and diarrhoea.

Can't help but ask 'why?' though, seeing as the misuse of antibiotics contributes to the microevolution of antibiotic resistant organisms.
jimbo139
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Nothing.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Not much. You would just get the typical side effects. Maybe a bit of nausea and diarrhoea.

Can't help but ask 'why?' though, seeing as the misuse of antibiotics contributes to the microevolution of antibiotic resistant organisms.
I was just interested.
alisparkle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have a very sore throat and it feels like it does when I usually have strep but the rapid test says no but I have long one that I have to wait for and I need to feel better in two days and I have amoxicillin laying around from previous streps if I take that when I’m almost positive I have strep is that ok
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by alisparkle)
I have a very sore throat and it feels like it does when I usually have strep but the rapid test says no but I have long one that I have to wait for and I need to feel better in two days and I have amoxicillin laying around from previous streps if I take that when I’m almost positive I have strep is that ok
No, it isn't okay. You probably have a viral infection, which amoxicillin will do nothing to deal with. All you'll do is wipe out your gut flora and possibly breed antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

You will probably feel better in two days. That's about as long as most colds last anyway.
Royal.T
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
No, it isn't okay. You probably have a viral infection, which amoxicillin will do nothing to deal with. All you'll do is wipe out your gut flora and possibly breed antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

You will probably feel better in two days. That's about as long as most colds last anyway.
This situation sounds like me. But i only had the infection on my left side. I went to the doctors three days in a row. First time, they told me it wasn’t strep and gave me triple wash to get rid of the bacteria. Said use three time daily. Stuff wasn’t making it feel better, so I went to a different hospital and again, they said not strep and gave me nothing. Went to that same hospital again but with a different doctor. He gave me amoxicillin
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Royal.T)
This situation sounds like me. But i only had the infection on my left side. I went to the doctors three days in a row. First time, they told me it wasn’t strep and gave me triple wash to get rid of the bacteria. Said use three time daily. Stuff wasn’t making it feel better, so I went to a different hospital and again, they said not strep and gave me nothing. Went to that same hospital again but with a different doctor. He gave me amoxicillin
That doesn't mean the first two doctors were wrong. That just means you kept coming back until you found someone negligent enough to give you amoxicillin when he wasn't 100% sure you had strep throat.
Royal.T
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I didn’t say they were wrong. I just meant that it kept getting worse. I tried the medication they gave me, all it did was numb my throat. Once it wore off, it was the same pain.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
AbenaAmaka
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Sore throats are often caused by cytomegalovirus. Can flare up whenever you get stressed or run down. It's a virus that lives in the body after you've contracted it and causes reoccurring sore throats.In regard to antibiotic question, it will harm your gut flora to take antibiotics without a need for it. Which is why I almost never take it when doctors prescribe it without any tests or any diagnosis. Many doctors over prescribe and in fact many just tell you to try antibiotics without having a diagnosis. They use it as elimination method but causes more harm than good.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (79)
26.69%
No (217)
73.31%

Watched Threads