Turn on thread page Beta

"Man is born free, wherever he goes, he is in chains" watch

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I just got a 2:1 on my essay on the Social Contract.

ReputationRep:
    I'm free to steal, free to speak, free to act etc. but from the very fact that I'd been born not through my own will, I cannot consider myself absolutely free. We are all basically limited by the laws of nature and it is when we try to pass such natural limits (i.e. trying to fly with a human body)that we should consider ourselves "chained".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgangills)
    I don't see the problem, both me and Ferrus were merely answering a question by another poster.

If that doesn't form a conversation then heck I don't know what does...
    Nonono, I wasn't having a go at you! Everybody else was just posting single sentences, which is why I asked in the first place was Rosseaus view actually was so the question would make more sense. You and Ferrus responded explaining it a bit, so I was quoting you as a starting point for trying to give more of a complete answer.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough...

ReputationRep:
    'What we want is neither happiness nor misery. Both make us forget our true nature; both are chains,one of iron, another of gold;behind both is the soul'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grapefruit_girl)
    the choice to be employed/unemployed
    Somewhat debatable as to how much of a 'choice' that is. And Rousseau wasn't living in our society today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calvin)
    The liberty to do whatever you can and not to be constrained by others?
    Which is still limited by society, physical laws, etc.

I think free will does exist to some extent, because we all have the capacity to make choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zooropa)
    Which is still limited by society, physical laws, etc.
    I don't see your point...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grapefruit_girl)
    "Man is born free, wherever he goes, he is in chains" - Rousseau

argue.
    You cheat! Anyway, making this thread didn't help much in the end, did it?!

ReputationRep:
    We always try hard to avoid answering the question, just in case

ReputationRep:
    It's not a dig at anyone here, the OP made this post because she had to represent her boarding house in a debate on this subject. However, crash&burn seems like a good way to describe how it panned out.

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with discussing something you need help on. Would be nice if people started off with an intro to show they made the effort. 'Discuss' is a rather patronising thing to say when you are essentially asking for help.
    To be honest I sympathise though. It's a dull topic, I hate politics. Gah!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    I have never studied any Rosseau, but I'm going to go with the idea that he roughly meant the same thing as Sartre when he said 'Man is condemned to be free'. Am I close?
    Dunno. I think Sartre was going more for the burden of existentialism whereas Rousseau was simply making a social criticism.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.