Turn on thread page Beta

Finally!! A thread for the land of my life - Scotland!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Wasn't today lovely? First day back at school and it's frickin' roasting
    Apart from quite a heavy shower in the early evening, today's weather was brilliant. Even when it was raining the sky was still very blue and the sun was shining; beautiful. The sunset tonight was gorgeous too. I just wish the weather had been that way on Sunday when I had a friend up from Newcastle for a BBQ.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    The weather was really nice yesterday; I was in Edinburgh with a friend - we watched some mediocre free comedy and magic at the Fringe. :p:

I love how Scottish people even talk about the weather all the time on t'internet.

ReputationRep:
    Well the weather is quite a major factor on our happiness!

Right let's talk about something else... who's back at school now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    Well the weather is quite a major factor on our happiness!

Right let's talk about something else... who's back at school now?
    Well, that does something for my happiness - i.e. not me

(but weather is cruddy - it was positively autumninal today. And I'm convinced I've spotted trees with browning leaves - surely we're not allowed to have Winter before Summer turns up?

ReputationRep:
    The weather is so weird!

ReputationRep:
    LOVING THE SUNSHINE! Not loving spending so much time indoors
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I knew it would get sunny when everyone else went back to school. :p: The first week back and exam time are the only times good weather can be guaranteed in Scotland. Hope the sun stays for the weekend!

ReputationRep:
    its sunny today in glasgow, at least....looks like it might rain later, though

ReputationRep:
    I have just read all 33 pages of this post. I must admit it wasn't worth the effort however I would like to give my opinion on Scotland.

As a ginger haired male, I feel an affinity with the Scottish. I considered studying at St Andrews University but I ruled it out on the grounds of how far it was, how isolated it is and how long the course was (4 years as opposed to the usual 3 in England). To be honest, having since visited St Andrews, which is technically a city, I made absolutely the right decision as I am a 'big' city person and there wasn't enough there to amuse me for an afternoon, let alone 4 years. I love tradition but it also has to be accompanied by modernity for me- this is how society moves forward.

Now, Edinburgh and Glasgow are a different kettle of fish. Edinburgh is historic but thankfully not always stuck in the past. Glasgow is arguably trendier still, where Oasis were 'discovered', in King Tut's. Both cities have some fine architecture, Charles Rennie Macintosh being particularly noted in Glasgow (also for interior design and painting).

There have been some fine Scottish thinkers, painters and entertainers.
    I do question why The Proclaimers, great though their 3 or 4 hits have been, should get so much attention over fellow Scots Rod Stewart and Annie Lennox? Is it because The Proclaimers are more typically Scottish?

By the way, this stereotype that the Scottish are obese does not hold true for the student-filled cities of Edinburgh and Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's just that the proclaimers are cooler

ReputationRep:
    Are you all aware of the SNP idiots' idea of raising the drinking age to 21?! Just found out about this a couple of days back on returning from uni. Anyone else think this is a crazy breach of freedom - what on earth makes a makes an over 21 year old be more responsible? I plan to leave Scotland before too long, but it's still atrocious.

There seems to be a pretty official campaign against it here (I guess we ought to sign the petition)

ReputationRep:
    The SNP, in general, are idiots :rolleyes:
    Also, I'm moving back to Scotland in 9 days... how thrilling.

Where are you thinking of moving to, btw?

ReputationRep:
    Oh gosh, probably just anywhere in England, already spend half the year there at uni and was shocked at how much nicer the weather is - I used to live in England as a kid, and I remembered I spent every summer tripping round in dresses, but it's never ever warm enough to go out without jumper/jacket here (well, for the last ~2 yrs). Also no SNP. I'm hoping at the next election the people that voted for them will have gained a little sense, or at least those against'll feel strongly enough to vote against.

Are you coming back from Germany or from England?

ReputationRep:
    From Germany, the land without humour . Where abouts in Scotland are you at the mo'? I used to (and will again) live in the Central Belt, and it's not too cold there... if I remember correctly...?!

ReputationRep:
    We'll be coming

ReputationRep:
    I requested to join!
    i'm Jess and live a bit outside of glasgow.
    is anyone a gregory's girl fan?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in! Scottish not British!

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying in Glasgow - does that count me in?

Hi everyone,

Am just checking in as the way societies work has changed - they're now called social groups. You can see your group page here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=67

Your current leader is inactive - does anyone want to volunteer to be either a leader or a deputy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fleur de lis)
    Hi everyone,

Am just checking in as the way societies work has changed - they're now called social groups. You can see your group page here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=67

Your current leader is inactive - does anyone want to volunteer to be either a leader or a deputy?
    Can I do this?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.