The Student Room Group

Why is it unnaceptable to look at cleavage?

And also to compliment a woman on her cleavage?

Is there any logical reason for this?

And an additional question - is it regarded more or less insulting to receive a compliment about the 'derriere' ?

Edit : for the record - im a legs man myself
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Because treating someone like a sex object and a piece of meat is not a good attitude.

Edit : I really can't believe I'm being negged for NOT being a pervert. Not that I give a **** about reputation anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Yarpie
Because treating someone like a sex object and a piece of meat is not a good attitude.

How is looking at clevage treating someone like a sex object or a piece of meat
?
Reply 3
Original post by Yarpie

It depends. People can treat others how they please.
Original post by Gaziden
It depends. People can treat others how they please.

I dont think anyone will give a clear answer on this ie Why is looking at someones chest corelated with treating them as a peice of meat -when looking at someones hair or hands is not?
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food
I dont think anyone will give a clear answer on this ie Why is looking at someones chest corelated with treating them as a peice of meat -when looking at someones hair or hands is not?

Because breasts are generally seen as more sexual than hands or hair...
That much is pretty obvious imo.
Reply 6
Original post by Indo-Chinese Food

Because you're not viewing their hands in a sexual manner and sitting there ogling them.

If I have to sit here and explain to you why sexual harassment is wrong then your parents have clearly failed in their duty of raising you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by PinkFriday
Because breasts are generally seen as more sexual than hands or hair...
That much is pretty obvious imo.

If you are going to get technical, then breasts are not more sexual than hands as they dont have necessarily have a function in intercourse. They have a purpose of milk production for rearing children.

Im often told by female friends im suppossed to publically comment on the attractivenss of girlfriends new hairstyle or even overall figure ( if she has clearaly got in shape for example) . I beleive it is also perfectly reasonable to tell a girl she has a pretty face. Why not also impressive cleavage?
Original post by Yarpie
Because you're not viewing their hands in a sexual manner and sitting their ogling them.

If I have to sit here and explain to you why sexual harassment is wrong then your parents have clearly failed in their duty of raising you.

Dont be silly - need i remind you that there are native women that live in south america, africa and pacific islands that display their chests publically to men in day to day life. The issue of sexual harrassment is an issue within the minds of those that entertain it.
If someone glances at clevage occasionally I think it's acceptable, I mean why have a cleavage if you don't want anyone looking. If someone is staring non stop then it becomes rude, in the same way examining your fingernails or watch would be rude if someone is talking to you, because it shows you are dis interested in that person.
I think the problem with complimenting boobs or staring too much is it is a commonly assumed fact they are releated to sexual interest. I guess if the woman likes you then a compliment would be appreciated, but if you compliment every single female who has nice boobs you would be classed as perv or offensive. It's all down to social boundaries and there's a fine line indeed.
Original post by SilenceYouBeast
If someone glances at clevage occasionally I think it's acceptable, I mean why have a cleavage if you don't want anyone looking. If someone is staring non stop then it becomes rude, in the same way examining your fingernails or watch would be rude if someone is talking to you, because it shows you are dis interested in that person.
I think the problem with complimenting boobs or staring too much is it is a commonly assumed fact they are releated to sexual interest. I guess if the woman likes you then a compliment would be appreciated, but if you compliment every single female who has nice boobs you would be classed as perv or offensive. It's all down to social boundaries and there's a fine line indeed.

Yes i agree if someone is just staring constantly at you then they probably have some sort of problem, that doesnt apply just to your chest but anywwhere as you say.
But as a heterosexual male, i will be perfectly frank and say i have no problem when a women is checking me out physically i am quite body proud generally, and would go as far as to say if she lowered the gaze down to the trouser dept to see what im packing, i still would not take it as some sort of sordid experience or be offended. Why is there such a marked difference?
I don't know really, people are silly sometimes, you'll get women who absolutely adore the attention, and some who will interpret it as being pervy. Perhaps the question should be: Why do some women have their cleavage out if they get offended when people look? lol!
Original post by SilenceYouBeast
I don't know really, people are silly sometimes, you'll get women who absolutely adore the attention, and some who will interpret it as being pervy. Perhaps the question should be: Why do some women have their cleavage out if they get offended when people look? lol!

Agreed!
I personally don't mind if it's just for a fraction of a second but anymore than that (especially if it's a man wayyy older - like 30 or 40 etc), I feel v.uncomfortable as I'd assume they're being really pervy and what they're thinking as they're looking etc. But I have mine covered anyways unless it's summer or a nice occaision.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
I think it all depends on how you compliment them.

If you say, "you've got a bangin' pair of tits" it probably won't go down too well. If you say, "I must say, you are in possession of a cracking pair of norks," you're probably going to be OK.

But yeah, I don't know really.
Original post by Romisa_lovesA7X
Agreed!
I personally don't mind if it's just for a fraction of a second but anymore than that (especially if it's a man wayyy older - like 30 or 40 etc), I feel v.uncomfortable as I'd assume they're being really pervy and what their thinking as they're looking etc. But I have mine covered anyways unless it's summer or a nice occaision.

Yeh that's my outlook too, I keep mine covered most of the time unless it's hot or an evening dress, and then it's nice to be appraised, but not lechered over :tongue:
Reply 15
I think it depends on the person more than anything. I'm fine with it as long as it isn't the creepy old guy scenario. Although the awkward moment at work when someone's read your nametag...o_O
Reply 16
i will always have a good look at some girls cleeveage.. i love it! obviously i wont stare/get caught; well try not to get caught.

if shes got it out, shes asking for it.. im not complaining though :wink:
Original post by Romisa_lovesA7X
Agreed!
I personally don't mind if it's just for a fraction of a second but anymore than that (especially if it's a man wayyy older - like 30 or 40 etc), I feel v.uncomfortable as I'd assume they're being really pervy and what their thinking as they're looking etc. But I have mine covered anyways unless it's summer or a nice occaision.

Lol 30 is too old :smile:?
Reply 18
I'd find it weird if I'm honest. I usually respond with the really arsey "My face is up here, mate." I don't have much to brag about but even so, if someone was to openly compliment my rack I'd be like "...". It's not the done thing, really. It's like me walking up to a lad and being like, you have an amazing package. Though a lad would probably appreciate it... ;-P
Well, I don't think it's too much of a problem if you have a quick look. I guess it's only natural to check out a person's body and your cleavage is part of that. Also, if a girl doesn't want guys looking, she shouldn't be flaunting it. But I would object (doesn't really affect me because I don't have much there and I don't really wear low cut tops anyway) if a guy were having a conversation with me... well, more accurately, my breasts. If he can't look you in the eyes when he's talking to you, then it's clear there's only one thing on his mind... and call me boring, but that's probably not what's on my mind.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending