The Student Room Group

It's all over...

Down to just AS Economics and AS Politics now. I was asked to withdraw from AS Maths - I failed the mock and the tutor got the impression I just wasnt interested, problems at home havnt help but I was always going to have to go that extra mile to pass maths but it just wasnt happening. My plan was to take all three in to A2, get the good grades and goto LSE but thats not going to happen now. The other two subjects, despite quite alot of absences, the tutors still believe I can do very well in as I do have the intelligence. But down to just 2 AS's what do I do know? Finish the year off? Drop them completely? I don't know, I need some advice...
You should stick with them if you still want to go to college, this just means you'll have to spend an extra year at college if you need to get 3 full a-levels. You could pick up one or two more subjects next year. Do you actually not enjoy maths though? Maybe you should try and convince your teacher otherwise...
Reply 2
__
Reply 3
If you are enjoying politics and economics ASs continue with them and do the A2 in them next year. I think in your 2nd year you should pick up another AS level and continue it to A2 the year after. Unless you can do AS and A2 in a subject in one year alongside A2 I see your options of getting 3 A Levels (ie minimum requirements for LSE or similar) as limited to doing it in 3 years.
Reply 4
stratomaster
You should stick with them if you still want to go to college, this just means you'll have to spend an extra year at college if you need to get 3 full a-levels. You could pick up one or two more subjects next year. Do you actually not enjoy maths though? Maybe you should try and convince your teacher otherwise...

I went into AS maths knowing it would be a struggle, I hit bad form in Yr 11 and missed alot of lessons, somehow I managed to do well in the GCSE's. AS maths started off ok, but in recent months troubles have got the best of me and I once again started to miss alot of lessons. I received a mock at the beginning of January that I failed miserabley, he told me I'd have to resit it, i didnt revise for it, i did slightly less badly but he's said It would be best if I withdrawed (basically I didn't have a choice) I enjoyed my maths when I understood what I was doing, whereas in other topics where I didn't pick up things I just kind of didn't think about it. He has the impression that I have no care for maths, but things have just been a bit against me. I don't think theres any going back in that respect.
As others have said, it looks like you'll have to do your A-levels over 3 years, which most universities should be fine with but some don't like it, so you'll have to check before you apply.
Reply 6
i wouldnt drop out as that would look even worse and some teachers may not be keen on having you back on the same courses if you droped out. is it to late to enter for maths as a private candiate ?
Reply 7
Niaya
i wouldnt drop out as that would look even worse and some teachers may not be keen on having you back on the same courses if you droped out. is it to late to enter for maths as a private candiate ?

I like the sound of that...could you tell me anymore about being a 'private candidate...?'
Reply 8
Might be worth thinking about getting a GOOD tutor if money is not an issue and you have not lost a lot of time.The school may consider entering you, you will have to pay and even though you have not studied with them they may allow you to take the modules with them. A local FE college might also help and enrol with them, even though you have not been taught by them, again you will almost certainly have to pay. Might even be worth seeing if you can do a crash course with them.But you will HAVE to be dedicated and really want to do this.A good tutor may have a route into an examination venue, application procedures etc.. Only go to a tutor with a proven track record, who uses past papers and is really up to scratch on the examination board requirements. A bad tutor will cause you a load of grief, make a difficult situation worse and be a waste of money. Good luck. Personally i think you will need the 3rd A level to get in to Uni.
Reply 9
i have no idea but im sure that there are people on here who could give you more info have a search for threads about it or contact exam boards
Reply 10
Ole_Gunner
I like the sound of that...could you tell me anymore about being a 'private candidate...?'

You teach yourself, or hire a tutor. You can buy correspondance courses from various websites in which you teach yourself and then do TMA's (tutor marked assignments). Seeing as you have already been doing Maths since September it will be easy enough for you to catch up and you will have plenty of time if your only doing 2 AS's in school. Try uk-open-learning.com and nec.ac.uk.

Cant you pick up another AS at school and teach yourself the 1st module that you have missed so you are doing in total 4 AS's, I dont know what you want to do at university but LSE is generally competitive.

Latest