Turn on thread page Beta

Which do you drive - manual or automatic? watch

• View Poll Results: Manual or Automatic?
    Manual
    84.33%
    Automatic
    11.94%
    Semi-Automatic (Manual Gearbox, no clutch)
    3.73%

ReputationRep:
    The future of cars are likely to be tiptronic automatics because you have all the advantages of automatics, but you also have the advantages of a manual because you can choose between automatic mode or manual mode allowing you to manually select any gear whenever you want. (its just like having a manual gearbox.) These can be driven on an automatic only liscense too.

The difference between tiptronic and full manual, is tiptronic dont have a clutch pedal. As you can control your speed in an automatic easily, i dont see the need to a manual clutch.

ReputationRep:
    ^ But tiptronic is slow. Its a good idea, but until they improve paddle shifts that change when you want it to, and it can be deployed in cars of less than 20k, it won't ever change.

Tiptronic is also expensive to repair (£1200 on the A Class I had). It is slower than the normal manual model, and it does take the fun out of spirited driving. Tiptronic gearboxes are found in BMW 325, 525 etc where only cruising is the way of life; not driving.

A manual offers so much to the driver. If i'm going to spend £20k on a car, I want maximum feedback, maximum input. With a manual I get this. In fact, you don't get much better than the car i've got now for that

ReputationRep:
    automatics take the fun out of driving IMO. i'd never have one unless it was a big exec type vehicle like a 7 series, but i'd rather go tiptronic in that case.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah88)
    I drive a manual, but I drove our automatic SmartCar for a bit when I was learning and it was like driving a bumper car! (because of the pedals...not because I hit people)
    The switchable automatic gearboxes in Smart cars are really horrible though - they're a really fun car to drive, except for the gearbox!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnuk)
    You can get automatics in 4, 5, 6, or even 7 speed gearboxes!

Many autos have sports modes which change gears / shift ocurs at higher RPM, which improves acceleration. They have snow modes which pull away in 2nd gear and stay in a high a gear as possible. So i think they are just as good as manuals when it comes to control and accelration.

As for autos being bumper cars, its likely all cars will be like that in the future. Automatics are getting alot more common now. Most things these days minimise human effort execpt when it comes to cars.... Automatics are the future! Look at America, about 90% of people drive automatics. The UK will be like that eventually.
    Heard you can get 8 speeds as well!

ReputationRep:
    Manual. Much more fun.

ReputationRep:
    precisely, autos are boring. A manual makes me feel like I'm actually driving.

ReputationRep:
    well...its indian view...but precisely, manual...
    i drove a coupla autos and was starting to like ot...till i drove
    the Skoda Octavia Rally Sport...to burn its wheels..for the blinding smoke..u DEFINITELY NEED MANUALS...

also for the pull (u actually get minor G forces when u pick 100kmph from 0 in 8 secs flat..tht too for Rs 16lacs - 20000 pounds)
    street racing is my passion - dunno whether legal in U..but technically speaking, 'not illegal' in India...so burnin outer ring roads needs manuals..not abt the shifts...my 5 speed is well enuf to pump upto 250kmph!!

ReputationRep:
    Manual, definately more fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    It depends if you have the 'S' button on!
    With an automatic your more likely to hammer it a bit harder because it feels easier. If you drove an automatic like a manual car, then there wouldn't be much difference.

I personally prefer manuals as automatics do take the fun out of driving, and they lack acceleration. You decide when to change the gear, not the car. All I can say is, get a 6-speed gearbox that is worthy, and you will never want an automatic or 5-speed gearbox ever again.

Also you have to replace the brake pads on automoatics much more regularly. No engine braking remember? Or hardly any.

ReputationRep:
    Although technically engine breaking is bad for the car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalis)
    Also you have to replace the brake pads on automoatics much more regularly. No engine braking remember? Or hardly any.
    This shows that most people who drive manuals really dont know that much about automatics.

All automatics allow you to hold it in a low gear. In my car i can select gear 1 and hold it in that as long as i want. so in that way its like a manual - there will be engine braking!

Also you may need to replace the brake pads more regulary, but this can be reduced alot by driving an automatic properly - that is selecting gears when its nessecary e.g. going down a hill, put it in a low gear to reduce the amount of braking you need to do.

You may pay more replacing the brakes, but you dont really lose out on money as you dont need to pay for renewing the clutch.

ReputationRep:
    If driving is your hobby then manual cars are for you because you probally enjoy changing gear and using the clutch. If you simply just want to get from A to B easily (which is most people) and you dont particually enjoy using gears and the clutch then automatic is for you IMO.

ReputationRep:
    If driving is your hobby then manual cars are for you because you probally enjoy changing gear and using the clutch. If you simply just want to get from A to B easily (which is most people) and you dont particually enjoy using gears and the clutch then automatic is for you IMO.
    The problem is that I like driving, but I can't stand the bloody always changing gear in town, thats why I like the idea of those auto boxes with the sequential gearbox as well, gets the best of both worlds, its like one of those that you find in a Maserati Quattroporte.

ReputationRep:
    i prefer semi-automatics cos you still get the fun of changin when you want without the emabarrasment of accidently liftin your foot too quickly on the clutc h with no gass in first gear

however, learn in a manual so you get full licence. Also, a lot of fun pullin off wheel spins in full manuals lol

ReputationRep:
    Automatics are the future! Look at America, about 90% of people drive automatics. The UK will be like that eventually.
    Your idea of the future sounds like my idea of a post apocalyptic one. The UK aspiring to have the driving habits of american would be the WORST thing to happen, ask any american car enthusiast.

Everybody knows automatics are only not lolomatics in 60's american muscle cars, also everybody arguing in favour of paddleshift does not know what they are talking about, I would argue that yes in a m3 CLS the paddleshift would make a normal drivers shifts quicker, but not all paddleshift cars are a m3 CLS, also I would imagine that kind of aggressive shift is not really what you want in slowmoving traffic.

The 6 people here who drive autos hate driving and should really just get the bus if they are going to take that attitude with driving. The only person I know who drives an auto does so because "there were too many things to think about" with a manual. That kind of person should not be on the road in the first place. Manual gears are called mantrans for a reason, only ladies drive auto.

ReputationRep:
    To stop in a semi-auto, don't you have to stall it in second because you can't coast for a few seconds.

ReputationRep:
    Jax calm down man. I agree with you that the American road system in awful but still. Plus what the hell is a lolomatic?

ReputationRep:
    automatics are lol so these days in car forums they are called lolomatics it is easier than having to put the roll eyes emoticon after every time you use the word automatic.

ReputationRep:
    This shows that most people who drive manuals really dont know that much about automatics.

All automatics allow you to hold it in a low gear. In my car i can select gear 1 and hold it in that as long as i want. so in that way its like a manual - there will be engine braking!

Also you may need to replace the brake pads more regulary, but this can be reduced alot by driving an automatic properly - that is selecting gears when its nessecary e.g. going down a hill, put it in a low gear to reduce the amount of braking you need to do.

You may pay more replacing the brakes, but you dont really lose out on money as you dont need to pay for renewing the clutch.
    I'm only 18 but my parents have had several automatic cars - and most automatics only allow to change between gears 1 and 2. So unless you want to go down a hill at 15 mph, generally no one changes gear!

It's not 'driving an automatic properly' as the whole point is *not* to change gears. It's a total contradiction - driving an automatic properly requires the changing of gears?

your last point is valid, I forgot about that. However, a automatic also has a clutch as you know, you only need to change manual clutches if you have a crap driver behind the wheel otherwise they last a long time - brake pads have to be replaced periodically for all drivers.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.