Turn on thread page Beta

Which do you drive - manual or automatic? watch

• View Poll Results: Manual or Automatic?
    Manual
    84.33%
    Automatic
    11.94%
    Semi-Automatic (Manual Gearbox, no clutch)
    3.73%

ReputationRep:
    i just can't drive manual without killing an average of 3 kids and an old lady per ride, so i'd rather go for automatic

ReputationRep:
    Driving an automatic does indeed require changing of gears - when the police learn how to drive on their advanced courses, one of the first things they're taught is that very seldom is the car just put in 'D'. On my auto, I can select any gear I want and hold it in that gear for as long as needed - useful when going up/down steeps slopes and a godsend offroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalis)
    However, a automatic also has a clutch as you know, you only need to change manual clutches if you have a crap driver behind the wheel otherwise they last a long time - brake pads have to be replaced periodically for all drivers.
    Find me a clutch on a (proper) automatic (not automatic manual) and I would be very surprised A torque converter would make more sense Pretty different types of kit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Driving an automatic does indeed require changing of gears - when the police learn how to drive on their advanced courses, one of the first things they're taught is that very seldom is the car just put in 'D'. On my auto, I can select any gear I want and hold it in that gear for as long as needed - useful when going up/down steeps slopes and a godsend offroad.
    Most auto's still only allow choice between gears one and two! How could most people drive rarely in D? Unless you go everywhere at maximum of 15mph?

I know is is useful and you say 'useful when going up/down steeps slopes and a godsend offroad' but that is generally not everyday driving for most automatics drivers. Hence my point of automatic drivers very rarely use gears and therefore must replace brake pads more often.

ALso, what car have you got? I didnt realise they had automatics that allow selection of all 4/5/6 gears?

ReputationRep:
    I like to control what gear I'm in. I wouldn't want an automatic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalis)
    Most auto's still only allow choice between gears one and two! How could most people drive rarely in D? Unless you go everywhere at maximum of 15mph?

I know is is useful and you say 'useful when going up/down steeps slopes and a godsend offroad' but that is generally not everyday driving for most automatics drivers. Hence my point of automatic drivers very rarely use gears and therefore must replace brake pads more often.

ALso, what car have you got? I didnt realise they had automatics that allow selection of all 4/5/6 gears?
    Depends on what auto box is fitted I guess with regards to what gears can be manually selected - but most i've seen use the 'J-Gate' design which allows for manual selection of 1,2 and 3, then putting it into 'D' for 4 and 5.

I've got an old Range Rover 4 speed auto and that allows for selection of any gear, in both low and high range. So effectively, I can choose any forward gear I want out of 8 (4 in high range, 4 in low). I always find myself bunging it manually into 3rd when it would automatically select 4th to get that bit more grunt, but maybe that's just me and most auto drivers wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolo)
    i just can't drive manual without killing an average of 3 kids and an old lady per ride, so i'd rather go for automatic
    Quoted for troof that people who drive autos are incompetent.

ReputationRep:
    Pah, I've got a full manual licence but still choose to drive an auto becuase i'm lazy. I can still drive ancient manual Defenders with no power steering and the worst gearboxes known to man, so not all auto drivers are necessarily incompetant.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the best place for a lazy person is not on the road in heavy if you cant be ****ed to switch lanes or insist on playing stop start like most lolomatic drivers do.

Edit: You drive a land rover with an auto, so that is excusable because I would never really want to have to go in the mud in a manual 4x4, even though I have seen some awesome rock crawling videos where people use manual jeeps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    The 6 people here who drive autos hate driving and should really just get the bus if they are going to take that attitude with driving. The only person I know who drives an auto does so because "there were too many things to think about" with a manual. That kind of person should not be on the road in the first place. Manual gears are called mantrans for a reason, only ladies drive auto.
    What is the main purpose of a car? To get you from A to B. Automatics do this, so why would i want to drive a manual. Also I dont hate driving... i enjoy it! For me the enjoyment comes from hitting the gas and steering, not using the clutch and gears all the time.

I suppose its personal preference, if you like the clutch and gears then go for manual, i you dont mind them but dont particually get enjoyment out of it, then you might as well go for automatic. Personnly for me automatics feel more like luxury and really nice/enjoyable to drive.

Also why are all the posh cars lke mercedes, bmw etc mainly automatic? I dont know why, just wondering?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnuk)
    What is the main purpose of a car? To get you from A to B.
    Well I drive cars for fun, and having a lolomatic change down gears on a bend when I've got the whole car balanced on the throttle is not my idea of fun, but as you have stated you just want to get from A to B so why not just ride the bus because that is what you are bringing cars down to.

(Original post by johnuk)
    Also why are all the posh cars lke mercedes, bmw etc mainly automatic? I dont know why, just wondering?
    Because the fat businessmen that drive them are just like you and use them to get from a - b and are far to busy on the phone to change gear. Also anyone can drive an auto smoothly once you are above 10mph, some people still ****ing jerk a manual around at 40mph around because they don't know ***** about rev matching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    Well I drive cars for fun, and having a lolomatic change down gears on a bend when I've got the whole car balanced on the throttle is not my idea of fun, but as you have stated you just want to get from A to B so why not just ride the bus because that is what you are bringing cars down to.
    Why would i want to get on a bus? I learnt to drive so i wouldnt have to get public transport. I like driving cars and having my own transport. Whether you drive manual or automatic, either one is a million times better then get the buses/trains. I dont like public transport, i like having that freedom to go wherever i like when i like in my car.

I never said i hate driving manuals, i dont mind it at all. Having said that i still prefer automatic. I love driving my automatic so no i would rather not get on the bus

ReputationRep:
    Well then my friend i think it is there that we come to blows on this most prickly of subjects. I put it to you that it is physically impossible to enjoy "driving" an auto seeing as all you do is steer.

If you read any good publications on the matter of automobiles they will almost always state that "a manual of course would make ____ much better" top gear magazine said the mitsu colt cvt with the paddle shift was not as good as the manual version, and always you will find references to automatics incompetence, I always find it amusing when they (tongue in cheek) compair the auto with other autos because its worthless to mention manuals in the same sentence.

However yes you probably do enjoy your lolomatic because everyone enjoys cars, however you dont truly enjoy driving cars unless you prefer to drive a mantran.

ReputationRep:
    This is getting out of hand. Close this thread somebody.

ReputationRep:
    YES QUCIKLY! somebody think of the children! god damn man get a grip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    Depends on what auto box is fitted I guess with regards to what gears can be manually selected - but most i've seen use the 'J-Gate' design which allows for manual selection of 1,2 and 3, then putting it into 'D' for 4 and 5.

I've got an old Range Rover 4 speed auto and that allows for selection of any gear, in both low and high range. So effectively, I can choose any forward gear I want out of 8 (4 in high range, 4 in low). I always find myself bunging it manually into 3rd when it would automatically select 4th to get that bit more grunt, but maybe that's just me and most auto drivers wouldn't bother.
    All drivers are different I suppose. I was also under the impression than most auto's. including range rovers, have a kick down function (or whatever it is called). Where you just slam your foot to the floor and the car itself will drop the gear to accelerate faster? Why do you change down to third?

ReputationRep:
    I use kickdown now and again, but it doesn't necessarily hold it in that gear - the car changes back up again which isn't ideal when you're dealing with long steep inclines.

ReputationRep:
    this is all crap. Gear boxes, cars ect. Who cares? Seriously?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninman)
    this is all crap. Gear boxes, cars ect. Who cares? Seriously?
    LOL you sound like a real *******. Why don't you **** off if you're not interested?

ReputationRep:
    if that's not avoiding the swear filter I don't know what is

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.