Turn on thread page Beta

Which do you drive - manual or automatic? watch

• View Poll Results: Manual or Automatic?
    Manual
    84.33%
    Automatic
    11.94%
    Semi-Automatic (Manual Gearbox, no clutch)
    3.73%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninman)
    this is all crap. Gear boxes, cars ect. Who cares? Seriously?
    Surprisingly, cars and gearboxes are the sort of thing you'd expect to find in a motoring forum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninman)
    if that's not avoiding the swear filter I don't know what is
    Maybe he is trying to get his point accross bluntly? Normally only occurs as a result of irritating meaningless unconstructive posts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the point I was trying to make is who cares what kind of gearbox your car has.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I use kickdown now and again, but it doesn't necessarily hold it in that gear - the car changes back up again which isn't ideal when you're dealing with long steep inclines.
    dont u have a way of keepin it in 2nd or 3rd?? Normally you can but dunno wot ur car is

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I can hold my car in any gear I want for as long as needed - I was just replying to Kalis who asked why I change manually when kickdown is available.

ReputationRep:
    A car isn't a car without a clutch.

ReputationRep:
    Now who can question a coherent arguement like that eh?

ReputationRep:
    a perfectly valid point

ReputationRep:
    A car isn't a car without a clutch.
    All cars, Automatic or Manual....Have clutches

ReputationRep:
    edit: nevermind

ReputationRep:
    ninman is the worst troll who ever trolled.

also autos suck and always will. End of thread cut here....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a troll, I'm a hobbit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    All cars, Automatic or Manual....Have clutches
    No, they don't....

Manuals obviously have clutches are most know them.
    Semi-autos usually have a robotic clutch (same style as manual but done automatically)
    Automatics have a torque converter, very different to a clutch.

ReputationRep:
    But isn't it slightly similar with the plates etc etc

ReputationRep:
    SUN AND PLANET GEARS READ ALL ABOUT IT

also if you ever see a picture of the deely that moves oil round on older auto transmissions you will go "wow what an awsome maze that would make"

ReputationRep:
    You mean the valve body?

Also...
    (Original post by Jax)
    Also anyone can drive an auto smoothly once you are above 10mph
    What are you talking about? Why would you have to be above 10mph?

ReputationRep:
    also if you ever see a picture of the deely that moves oil round on older auto transmissions you will go "wow what an awsome maze that would make"
    I've seen a diagram of a 70's auto box, im scarred for life now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    You mean the valve body?

Also...

What are you talking about? Why would you have to be above 10mph?

Well ok not quite that speed but I find every auto ever cannot ****ing make up its mind weather it wants 1st or 2nd when going slowly in traffic at <30 and so decides to jerk about a bit until you find the speed above or below it wants not to piss you off.

ReputationRep:
    Never really noticed that problem. But I did have a car that wouldn't go into OD until you got to about ~62mph, but almost everywhere around that area, the speed limit was 55mph. Very irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Just yesterday I almost **** myself in an auto. My friend, also 18, drives an avensis auto (a few years old). He was driving me and another guy to the cinema.

Well you know how people drop down a gear to accelerate faster? Well this guy is a **** driver anyway but thought to do the same. One problem - highest selectable gear in second!

So picture this - duel carriage way, heavy traffic, driver wants to overtake quickly as there is a narrow gap in right hand lane. Therefore - at 65mph he yanks the shifter drom D in 2! Revs somehow (because there is a limiter) jump to almost 7000 revs! Somehow - someone please explain - we didnt really slow down the engine just screamed!? Limiter works again so engine comes down to nudging red line - I thought the engine would shatter! or at least the gear box!

he said he does this all the time, although not often at 60+ but regularly below that.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.