Turn on thread page Beta

Which do you drive - manual or automatic? watch

• View Poll Results: Manual or Automatic?
    Manual
    84.33%
    Automatic
    11.94%
    Semi-Automatic (Manual Gearbox, no clutch)
    3.73%

ReputationRep:
    Most autos (even 20 year old ones like mine) will not let you do that. If you change to too low a gear at too high a speed, then the box will simply ignore it and not change down. For example, in mine, if i'm going at 60 mph in 4th and then bung it into 2nd, it will just stay in 4th and ignore the change to prevent engine damage.

ReputationRep:
    He didn't really even need to use the shifter, just floor it and it will kick-down automatically. Depending on the ratios, it is certainly feasible for an automatic to get to 65 in 2nd, and seeing as the revs jumped to 7k, that is probably redline for 2nd gear. If he was flooring and downshifting, then the car would not have slowed down, it would've just carried on at that speed.

Tell your friend to leave the damn shifter alone if he's going to do that sort of stuff. There is no need for it, let the kick-down do its job. The only reason to shift manually is if you're racing and the auto shifts too early, then you can hold it in gear for a little longer. Or any other reason why you would need to hold it in gear for a little longer.

ReputationRep:
    i drive manual.

hate the really nice cars which have a automatic gear box for example i saw a classic mustang have a automatic.

dont mind the ranges and phantoms having automatic as those cars ara all about relaxing and riding!!!!

manual RULE FOREVER!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Most old muscle cars are automatic. The manual ones are more rare and more expensive now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by johnuk)
    You can get automatics in 4, 5, 6, or even 7 speed gearboxes!

Many autos have sports modes which change gears / shift ocurs at higher RPM, which improves acceleration. They have snow modes which pull away in 2nd gear and stay in a high a gear as possible. So i think they are just as good as manuals when it comes to control and accelration.

As for autos being bumper cars, its likely all cars will be like that in the future. Automatics are getting alot more common now. Most things these days minimise human effort execpt when it comes to cars.... Automatics are the future! Look at America, about 90% of people drive automatics. The UK will be like that eventually.
    Americans have always had the tendancy to drive auto's, doesnt mean we will eventually? I think its a very lazy culture of driving, it takes all the fun and control out of the whole driving experience. No gearing down for that extra acelleration ( unless u have sports mode fitted of course) most drivers i know would never ever consider autos, in saying that me and my friends are all petrolheads, so auto's are totally out of the question!!!

ReputationRep:
    I can't see auto's coming to Britain. They are coming in, in luxury cars like Mercedes. But thats understandable, it's a luxury vehicle and part of the luxury is not having to change gear manually, just a totally relaxed drive where the car is doing nearly all the work. However since most people in Britain take their driving tests in manuals, most people in Britain do not want to spend more money buying an Auto when there is no need.

Seriously if all you've ever driven is a manual and you are comfortable with it, why would you want to pay extra money on a car to have an auto? The only person I knew who had an automatic only license was disabled and born without the use of his legs. He had a hand lever that let him break and accelerate, and of course an automatic gear box.

In America the situation is the exact opposite, when you buy a car you are given an auto as standard, so I believe in America you pay extra for manual's. I may be mistaken. But since in American and Canadian tests they don't distinguish between automatic and Manual, almost everyone does their test in an auto so most people will continue to drive them afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Automatics used to be mainly on the luxury cars like mercedes, bmw etc. But these days in britain you can get automatics on almost all cars, even the small cars like vauxhall corsa, ford fiesta, peugeot 106 etc you name it, its likely to have an automatic option.

Over the last few years automatics have got alot better then they used to. I know not autos have sport modes, snow modes, manual modes etc but those are starting to become more common and i think there likley to become standard on all automatics in the future. With new technology like CVT, you cant feel the gear changes as its so smooth and the fuel effiicency is getting alot better on autos then it used to. Sure maybe there may be a few problems with the new technology but if there is i dont think it will be too long before they sort it out.

There are some things a manual cant do that autos can, take a look here for all the functions autos can do:

http://www.kentrospa.org.uk/news/vie...13&newsindex=9

This is the definition it gives for snow mode:

This feature is used for winter driving in icy and snowy conditions. It is selected by pressing a button alongside the gear selector or on the dashboard. This locks the gearbox in an intermediate gear (usually 3rd gear) reducing the risk of wheel spin when setting off. Setting off is much slower as the gearbox has to move the vehicle from rest in 3rd gear. The torque converter manages this with ease and no excess strain is placed on the gearbox or drive components. The feature automatically reverts to normal operation when a preset road speed is reached (normally 40 mph.). On manual/auto transmissions it only works when in automatic mode. If manual operation is selected it disengages.

Now thats quite impressive, I doubt you could pull away in 3rd in a manual, if you could then it would be very hard. An automatic wouldnt have a problem doing this at all and would never stall.

As for learning to drive, i know alot of people these days are learning in automatics probally because they dont understand why anyone would purposely want to make driving more difficult then it needs to be and go through all those horrible moments of stalling at traffic lights when you dont need to.

I know all the people here who prefer manaul arnt gonna change to auto, but personally ive tried both manual and auto and i never really enjoyed manual, but i really do enjoy driving my automatic.

ReputationRep:
    You don't pay more for a new car with an automatic in America. Manuals are cheaper. It's only for 2nd hand performance cars do you pay more for a manual. This is because the manuals are more desirable for motoring enthusiasts and manuals are more rare.

Manuals will never be better than a manual. They may be very clever, expensive and almost as good as a manual, but never better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    They may be very clever, expensive and almost as good as a manual, but never better.
    Most new automatics have automatic modes and manual modes. Once the manual modes get to the stage where they shift faster, smoother then manuals, surely then automatics will be better then manuals. Correct me if im wrong but hasnt this already started to happen on paddle shift cars? ok maybe not many cars are like this at the moment, but the future who knows? theres a good chance they will be. These cars would be good for both automatic drivers who use auto mode and also for manual drivers who can use the manual mode.

ReputationRep:
    It's a matter of personal taste. However since 90% of cars on the road in Britain are manuals, and since auto's cost more most people will probably continue driving manuals in Britain for a long time. One thing that bothered my bro when he drove an auto was going up a hill. I haven't driven one but I paid attention when I was in a car with someone who has one and I noticed it too.

The car keeps changing gear when you drive up a hill. The reason is because the revs get high in a lower gear so it goes to a higher gear, but then the engine starts to labour in a higher gear so it switches back to a lower gear. I doubt I will ever drive an auto, because until AI is so good that the car can change gear better than I can, there will never be a need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninman)
    The car keeps changing gear when you drive up a hill. The reason is because the revs get high in a lower gear so it goes to a higher gear, but then the engine starts to labour in a higher gear so it switches back to a lower gear. I doubt I will ever drive an auto, because until AI is so good that the car can change gear better than I can, there will never be a need.
    hear hear, you redeemed yourself with that post! perfect answer, *hint* thread cut off point *hint*

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    It's a matter of personal taste. However since 90% of cars on the road in Britain are manuals, and since auto's cost more most people will probably continue driving manuals in Britain for a long time. One thing that bothered my bro when he drove an auto was going up a hill. I haven't driven one but I paid attention when I was in a car with someone who has one and I noticed it too.
    yeah most cars are manual, but with sites like autotrader.co.uk , there is so many cars on there that its quite easy to get the car you want in an automatic. Thats where i buy my cars. I havent found automatics (used) to be any more expensive then manuals, although if you brought one brand new automatics might be more expensive.

The car keeps changing gear when you drive up a hill. The reason is because the revs get high in a lower gear so it goes to a higher gear, but then the engine starts to labour in a higher gear so it switches back to a lower gear.
    Yeah this is probally true. This is the type of situation where you could use the selector to lock it either gear 1, 2 or whatever. All automatics should have this function (even the old ones).

You wouldnt need to manually select gear much at all in an auto, but in this a situation you could and it would solve the problem. Most people probally wouldnt bother doing that though. Its up to you, depends on whether it annoys you when driving up hills. I personally wouldnt bother because i cant notice the gear changes.

ReputationRep:
    Try to heel-toe a paddle shift. You can't replace the feeling you get when gripping a manual. The vibrations that travel through the lever are part of the experience.

I'm not going to say that I'll never drive an auto, because I most certainly will if I have to live/work in the city. I hate driving manuals in stop-go traffic; it's irritating, especially for me because I have a lower spine injury which affects my left leg. Most likely, my daily commuter will be an auto in the future, and it probably would be even if I didn't have the injury. But for road trips and spirited drives through the back roads, I'll stick to manual, thanks

To each their own, drive what you want.

ReputationRep:
    The vibrations that travel through the lever are part of the experience.
    And its bloody great when you see that national speed limit sign, you drop a gear, go, then do a perfect fast change into 3rd/4th......Then you see a 30 sign :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snmichaels)
    Try to heel-toe a paddle shift. You can't replace the feeling you get when gripping a manual. The vibrations that travel through the lever are part of the experience.
    Not like Mr Joe Bloggs can do a heel-toe though is it :laugh:

I don't even think I can; never tried it even though I've been on tracks many a time. Anyway - Manual Manual Manual. There is no reason for an automatic unless you're the laziest person ever with no expectations from driving.

ReputationRep:
    Manual allllll the way!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    *Googles Heel-Toeing*

Ahhhh, it dosen't sound too bad. I've been blipping the throttle since I was a learner, think i'll give it a try tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I can heel-toe, but I'm not good enough yet, that I'm faster than normal down-shifting. ATM, it's actually a little slower for me. But I've seen it done perfectly and very quickly and it is beautifully smooth.

The times I raced were on very tight, slow tracks (autocross), and most of the time, you stay in 2nd with my car in the US. So didn't get much practice then. I try sometimes, but you know how it is. It's hard to get pumped up, trying to heel-toe a diesel golf.

ReputationRep:
    Tried it last night. Got it first time, but haven't done it as good since lol. Probably because im using my dad's car makes it harder, theres alot more travel on the brake pedal before it actually does anything

ReputationRep:
    You should only heel-toe on a an empty road or on a race track!!
    Not even nearly sensible to do it on a public road.

I've seen a video with a chap doing this with the video looking at his feet and his steering. It was mental. All I can say is - you need to be experienced.
    I would advise against it, and get proper practice in a completely empty place with no walls the opposite side. One slip of the brake, say hello to wall.

Heel-toeing a diesel golf - i bet it would choke!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.