The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Spent a lovely morning at the yard today even with a throbbing hangover. Went in to do some of my NVQ and had an enojyable time standing in the sun plaiting manes over, washing tails and plaiting them.
Reply 201
Its still too cold up here in Scotland to even consider washing tails. The horses would get a chill... unless you could blow dry them:rolleyes:
coss
Its still too cold up here in Scotland to even consider washing tails. The horses would get a chill... unless you could blow dry them:rolleyes:

There is an actual equine solarium at the livery yard where Frey lives!! Its like Gods own special gift to dirty horses lol! :biggrin: Hose 'em, toast 'em :wink:

Frey is doing SO well, he's been back in work about a week, getting a *bit* of turnout (better than none, especially now weather and grass are improving) and he is demolishing every foodstuff he can get to again!!! :smile:
I've been spending loads of time with him lately as my friend is so busy and recovering from a minor op, and he's getting better every day :smile:
The riding is going well too in spite of the major height difference between us - he really listens :smile:

Ooh can anyone advise me on bit suggestions....
We want to get him a softer bit - he came from his old owner last Nov in a grackle noseband and a waterford gag ... my vote is just to whack him in a straight noseband and a snaffle while he's unfit and see how he goes - is this pushing it a bit does anyone think???? Any suggestions on a compromise bit??
:confused: He is quite strong and very fast and forward, but not at all naughty, just big and strong and inquisitive, he really does listen :smile:
lessthanthree
I rode a 17hh police horse the other day (: ooooh, I want to start riding properly :frown:

Come and ride my baby, he's 17.3hh!!!!!! (well he belongs to my friend, I have him a few times a week, long story :rolleyes: )
coss

Most days its too cold but yesterday was gorgeous. All had rugs off, well except for the competitions horses who were in coolers.

I just found out that my aunties horse (pic posted of him somehwere) was almost put down last week. We do not know how but he seriously cut his leg,apprantely he almost took it off. Hes had similiar incidents with barbed wire in the past so all their fields are electriced fence. Hes spent the week at an equine vets where he was touch and go and hes on box rest. :frown:
Really hopes hes going to be alright.
Reply 205
ellewoods
Ooh can anyone advise me on bit suggestions....
We want to get him a softer bit - he came from his old owner last Nov in a grackle noseband and a waterford gag ... my vote is just to whack him in a straight noseband and a snaffle while he's unfit and see how he goes - is this pushing it a bit does anyone think???? Any suggestions on a compromise bit??
:confused: He is quite strong and very fast and forward, but not at all naughty, just big and strong and inquisitive, he really does listen :smile:

I'm not an expert on bits but you want to make him softer in the mouth. I would personally try a copper bit with french link or something similar so there is something for him to concentrate on in his mouth. Some people prefer sweet iron but i don't like the idea that they can rust. Does he chew bits? Happy mouth?
If you need a bit more control, there is the hanging cheek snaffle with/without french link. If you're not worried about the dressage arena you could try a pelhem. You can get some soft ones. They don't have to be harsh. Just take the curb chain off. I ride a 17hh horse sometimes. Hes in a volcanite straight bar pelhem. He goes really well in it cos its secure in his mouth. There's no curb chain so he doesn't back up to much - curb chain can make some horses back up a lot!
Hope that helps:wink:
Reply 206
coss
I'm not an expert on bits but you want to make him softer in the mouth. I would personally try a copper bit with french link or something similar so there is something for him to concentrate on in his mouth. Some people prefer sweet iron but i don't like the idea that they can rust. Does he chew bits? Happy mouth?
If you need a bit more control, there is the hanging cheek snaffle with/without french link. If you're not worried about the dressage arena you could try a pelhem. You can get some soft ones. They don't have to be harsh. Just take the curb chain off. I ride a 17hh horse sometimes. Hes in a volcanite straight bar pelhem. He goes really well in it cos its secure in his mouth. There's no curb chain so he doesn't back up to much - curb chain can make some horses back up a lot!
Hope that helps:wink:

If its a snaffle you want I would agree with the idea of a hanging or cheek snaffle. If he's strong I wouldn't go for a french link though as they are more gentle than the traditional jointed snaffle. I used to use a kimblewick on my pony for a bit more control when a snaffle wasn't enough. They are quite old fashioned and not many people use them these days but I have always found them to be a good intermediary between snaffles and pelhams.
Good luck!
coss

Lol, we've just got a solarium for the horses, its being installed next friday!! Yey, its such a god-send for bathing in winter. Can't wait!!!! and I can't wait for those bitter cold days...guess who's going to be stood under the solarium warming up lol!
Thanks for the advice on bits everyone :smile:

Selina (his owner) is going to try him in a snaffle and just see how he goes - if he's too much in it, we'll go for something else...
He is quite soft in the mouth anyway, I personally think he'll be ok, he rides strong but doesn't pull or bolt or anything. The impression I get from his old owner was that he was a bit scared of Frey, that he *could* just cart off with him, so the old owner took 'precautions' with his bit and tack.

I'll keep you posted...

(unless the snaffle turns out to be far too optimistic and I end up in a thorn bush somewhere in deepest darkest Derbyshire :wink: )
Reply 209
lekha85
If its a snaffle you want I would agree with the idea of a hanging or cheek snaffle. If he's strong I wouldn't go for a french link though as they are more gentle than the traditional jointed snaffle. I used to use a kimblewick on my pony for a bit more control when a snaffle wasn't enough. They are quite old fashioned and not many people use them these days but I have always found them to be a good intermediary between snaffles and pelhams.
Good luck!

Kimblewicks are weird... not in a bad way. I used to ride a highland who was the laziest horse. He was originally in a plain snaffle and he was really hard work. I had many arguements with him. My instructor put him in a kimblewick - not as gentle as the snaffle- and he became a different horse. you could actually ride him into your hand. He was very on his forehand and the kimblewick just picked him up a bit. with the kimblewick you could concentrate on getting the forward impulsion without worrying about losing the energy through the front end:biggrin:
If the horse is soft in mouth i would still go towards the french link - they have a gentler action but the horse may prefer it. My arab was in a jointed loose ring snaffle. She didn't go well in it at all so i changed to a happy mouth roller bit - loose ring again. She now accepts the bit really well and has softened to the hand. The only way i used to stop (about 10 years ago) was to point her at a gate cos i knew she wouldn't jump it but that would make her stop. Jointed snaffles can dig into the roof of the mouth.:eek:
Thanks Coss :smile:
You're on my rep list for that xx
Reply 211
Woohoo!! I just had my 7 weeks instructing confirmed for this summer! yay- a summer of riding in sunny sussex beckons!

Only the small issue of my Uni finals to do before that but i'm trying not to think about that...
Reply 212
ellewoods
Thanks Coss :smile:
You're on my rep list for that xx

Thank you. Hope any info i gave will come in useful:smile:
Reply 213
coss
Thank you. Hope any info i gave will come in useful:smile:

Hey Coss,
I just realised you are from Scotland...what areas do you compete/ ride in?
Reply 214
I'm in the area between Aberdeen and Inverness. I don't compete :frown: much as i have no transport but rely on a friend who does. Also, Dawn is getting a bit old for the competitions although she doesn't mind the little ones and is really well behaved. Harry is a nightmare at shows!!! He takes off at the slightest thing. I only do dressage at shows cos thats "safe" with him. Dawn doesn't jump.

I ride in our fields cos we live on a farm. My instructor lives about 15mins away so i go to her house for lessons on my horse (if i get a lift) or on the horse my instructor has on loan. It works quite well:smile: . Where about are you? Sorry just read you location!!
Reply 215
Hey
What a wonderful thread
I started riding about a month ago, only been on the horse twice :redface:
But it was great fun and I am really glad I started
Will hopefully post the pictures of my first lesson later :redface:
Mittow xxx
*~>Mittow<~*
Hey
What a wonderful thread
I started riding about a month ago, only been on the horse twice :redface:
But it was great fun and I am really glad I started
Will hopefully post the pictures of my first lesson later :redface:
Mittow xxx

Welcome to our thread! :smile: I must say its one of the friendliest Iv come across :smile:

Good luck with your lessons!! Its so exciting!!
I returned about 4-5 months ago after a six year break, and did my first jump on Sunday :biggrin: was very exciting!! I really felt like he was going to duck out, and I was chanting in my head, "find your line, ride him forward and keep him straight" :biggrin: and luckily we landed without a scratch on the other side!!

Looking forward to seeing pics of your lesson :smile:
Bump :wink:
We were almost on page 2 again! :eek: :biggrin:
Welcome Mittow!!! Hope you're well and truely addicted now!!

Well, hopefully within the next couple of days we will have a baby dales. The mare is fully waxed up, bagged up. Her muscles have dropped and foalie appears to be in the right position. Mare has been pretty uncomfortable too in the last few days, lots of moving around and looking extremely imminent.
So Wills going to be ok. Hes had his leg in a plaster cast (didn't know they did that to horses but nm) for 10 days and its off now. Not sure what state hes in atm, will have to ring my auntie at some point!

Awwwww thats so sweet Anna. Normally when we have foalies at our work they bring them back to the stables but the owners being selfish and keeping them at her farm :P Our stallion and one of the mares he covered are both smexi so we must have a supermodel foalie!

Latest