Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Oh Lou, I didn't realise that you rode too! I take it you rode one of Stavix's? Sounds like you had a good time!

Stavix, how are the two getting on?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Stavix,
    Strangely I feel ok...? Muscles are fine, but my wrist is a little achy from holding the stick... going to practice the clock face with a broom on a mounting block I think...? Will let you know how i progress :p:

Hi Blackhawk,
    Yup, another horsey peep!! Used to do a lot of showjumping but have bee out of it now for a while... hoping to get back into it all in the RAF! Also quite interested in polo, hence stavix educating me on half shot, full shot, riding off and hooking (is that right vic?) last weekend - felt really good to be back in the saddle again! Equine wise, what you into?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    I wish i could ride advanced medium dressage!!!
    I work my horse at novice at home with elementary movements chucked in. His head carriage hasn't fully stabilised yet but he can do all the movements. Love riding Elementary 51 on him. He can do the 10m canter circles really well cos he's only 14.2hh. Unfortunately all schooling disappears at shows so i'm forced to do prelim as his brain doesn't cope with anyhing novice. We are getting there slowly but the frustration is so annoying.:p:
    I must say my dressage is questionable perhaps would be a little better now but i very much looked like an SJer when I was schooling on the flat.... was working on it though and am more inclined to lengthen my stirrups now.

Is your boy young or just a late starter? We have a horse who I used to compete who, like yours seemed to forget everything he knows once he arrived at a show... at home, it would clear 1.30m without even blinking (and I'm talking tracks here, not just single fences!)... at a show, would freak at 90cm!!!! What do you do!!!! Anyway, after perseverance, we were getting round newcomers... don't think he was enjoying it v much so we stopped... he is family pet now!!!! He does go out to shows with a family friend and does showing classes... seem to be more up his street!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    Hi Stavix,
    Strangely I feel ok...? Muscles are fine, but my wrist is a little achy from holding the stick... going to practice the clock face with a broom on a mounting block I think...? Will let you know how i progress :p:

Hi Blackhawk,
    Yup, another horsey peep!! Used to do a lot of showjumping but have bee out of it now for a while... hoping to get back into it all in the RAF! Also quite interested in polo, hence stavix educating me on half shot, full shot, riding off and hooking (is that right vic?) last weekend - felt really good to be back in the saddle again! Equine wise, what you into?
    Wow, sounds great. RAF Cranwell has a big equestrian facility.

I don't know what I'm into any more! I've always bought and brought on ex racers for eventing, of which I have 1 at the minute. But suddenly I've aquired a show cob. :confused: So showing with it and I have no idea what to do with my TB. He's 13 and a rescue case (I'll post before and after pics at some point) so perhaps working him up to some small events. Yard owner thinks I should show him, but I don't want to put too much pressure on him.

You thinking about ever getting another horse once done with IOT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Wow, sounds great. RAF Cranwell has a big equestrian facility.

I don't know what I'm into any more! I've always bought and brought on ex racers for eventing, of which I have 1 at the minute. But suddenly I've aquired a show cob. :confused: So showing with it and I have no idea what to do with my TB. He's 13 and a rescue case (I'll post before and after pics at some point) so perhaps working him up to some small events. Yard owner thinks I should show him, but I don't want to put too much pressure on him.

You thinking about ever getting another horse once done with IOT?
    yeah have heard about Cranwells equi facs so am quite excited.... really miss my showjumping and would love to get back into it again... think the break has done me good, allowed me to mellow and find out if I really enjoyed it (which I did). To be honest, I miss competing more than anything... working toward something and obviously, actually getting in the ring (me, compatitive? Never!)... loved being part of a team too with the mounted games, so perhaps thats why I'm being drawn to polo? Would love to get another horse but it'll have to be when I've settled and can give it my full commitment... upsets me when I feel I'm neglecting/wasting my horse if you know what I mean?

Hmm... sounds like you enjoy a challenge!! We have a broad mare and a few baby racehorses (one is in traing and another is due to start this year) so now what a handful they can be... we try to strat ours late and make initial backing as quiet as possible so not to ruin them, seems to be going ok so far? My bro used to lots of BSPS stuff before dressage but was never really into that side of things...? Showing might be good for your TB... something quiet, contained but still get the show atmosphere... he might be encourage to revert back to the old "run as fast as you" mentality if you take him x/c straight up? On the other hand, you don't have lots and lots of people milling around edge of ring and practically under your horses legs on an x/c course... ?

You going to get involved with the equi stuff when you get into RAF? Eventing I assume???
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Haha! He definitly has a 'run as fast as you can' mentality when he comes off a lorry! We live near a XC schooling place so I'm working him up to that at the minute. He was a flat racer so a tad useless right now.

It must be quite exciting have a few potential racehorses around! I admit I have never had any experience with them going into training, just the end result! I'm always amazed at how quiet they are on the roads.

To be honest I just used to bring them on for who ever owned them/sold them on when I was done. I didn't do much competiting for my own pleasure, so it's something I like to do with the RAF. I've had a couple of falls recently (broken hand over a fence last year and a few months ago landed on the other side of a fence to me TB but with one leg sill caught in the strirrup then he decided to piss off!) so I need my confidence working on a bit! I'd love to do it though.

Currently bringing on the cob, who is 8 but she is very very babyish. Almost to the point where is irritates me!

ReputationRep:
    Oh Lou, I didn't realise that you rode too! I take it you rode one of Stavix's? Sounds like you had a good time!

Stavix, how are the two getting on?
    The terrible 2! They are being v good girls, Biscuit, who Lou rode is being well behaved but the other one still sometimes puts in a few bucks when galloping, just as im leaning out to hit the ball :rolleyes: her sweet itch is yukky so am taking her mane off on thurs, should be fun!
    we had a bit of a session!! with me following poor Lou around yellling random instructions.

(Original post by Lou)
    Hi Stavix,
    Strangely I feel ok...? Muscles are fine, but my wrist is a little achy from holding the stick... going to practice the clock face with a broom on a mounting block I think...? Will let you know how i progress
    I forgot to give you one of my home made small sticks!, Im heading over in the next couple of weeks to my mates so could drop it off then? yup, eyes on the ball, point left shoulder at the ball, turn your body, positions 1, 2,3 straight elbow, clock face, pendulum, the stick head should end up pointing the way the ball should have gone. was v impressed as you hadnt ridden in a over a year you were v balanced!

(Original post by Lou)
    Also quite interested in polo, hence stavix educating me on half shot, full shot, riding off and hooking (is that right vic?) last weekend -
    all good, well done, gave your email to my mate and your now on official RAF polo list its my aim to corrupt as many people as possible and bring the over to "the dark side" of Polo. Nic you can be my next target as i've successfully tempted Lou into trying it plus we beat the Navy at the weekend, so its all go!

ReputationRep:
    BH -ouch those sound nasty accients!! Is the cob for Wzz? welsh cob by any chance? my sis has one and he (13 yrs) is still a total idiot, v spooky to the point where it gets v annoying grr, sadly he's now decomissioned due to injury.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I'm sure I could be converted quite easily! I already live in my England Polo team top!

I'm glad the two have settled in now! Sounds like you're having a lot of fun with them!

Shes an Irish cob. A bit of a mix but she has amzingly good conformation and unusual marking. She also has this whole attitude about her that a lot of people pick up on. It's the whole 'I'm better than you.' sort of attiude. A few people have remarked that she gives off an image that she feels people are there to serve her! :p: Yep I bought her for Wzz, but he doesn't have must interest in cob showing. He's more into Dressage. He's a learning novice though.

ReputationRep:
    Yay! Go RAF!!!!

Thank you, was quite surprised myself??!! lol! Random instructions were much appreciated... its the only way I learn!! In fact one of best trainers I ever had used to stand in the middle of the arena and yell "you stupid girl" at me... it was Elaine Straker though, so you took it as fact and did your absolutely bestest to get it right next time :eek: Think polo is THE only way to go to be honest now... (Vic's conversion plan: Louise... check!)

BH, speed exits always a little hairy to say the least! Think I was blessed with my last boy, he was a :littleang:

To be honest the only experiance I really have with racehorses is when they are small and cute... they are my bro and dads so they tend to deal with them mostly.

I know that when they do go into training, they tend to get a chance over fences then, if you like get streemed flat or nat hunt depending on what they are better at. Sounds v cool having a project to work on, v rewarding?

ReputationRep:
    Its awful when your confidence gets knocked coz a) it tends to of involved a lot of pain and b) seems to take ages to get it back... must say, I hate competing x/c due to a few near misses with a wee pony I used to as a teenager!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaVix)
    I forgot to give you one of my home made small sticks!, Im heading over in the next couple of weeks to my mates so could drop it off then?
    Yes definitely!!!! That would be great... let me know when!

thanks hun

ReputationRep:
    we've hijacked this thread everyone else obviously is a, outside enjoying the weather, although its quite rainy now or b. actually working, im doing neither just made horrible discovery neighbours has been replaced by footbal :eek: :eek: and that Togo v s.korea is a bit dull and Andy Murray is loosing to a guy with a twisted ankle!

Elaine Straker.. I recognise that name... :confused: cant think how though,

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I could be converted quite easily! I already live in my England Polo team top!
    Wow, a scot in an england shirt :eek: it is a nice top though! we are playing the Kiwi's next month, I have to say i am unfortunatley supporting NZ

She also has this whole attitude about her that a lot of people pick up on. It's the whole 'I'm better than you.' sort of attiude. A few people have remarked that she gives off an image that she feels people are there to serve her! :p: Yep I bought her for Wzz, but he doesn't have must interest in cob showing. He's more into Dressage. He's a learning novice though.
    Lovely when they think that! sounds as though she is a very self confident horse, always the most annoying as they're convinced tghey are right!
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well Crew Clothing don't sponser the Scottish team :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaVix)
    we've hijacked this thread everyone else obviously is a, outside enjoying the weather, although its quite rainy now or b. actually working, im doing neither just made horrible discovery neighbours has been replaced by footbal :eek: :eek: and that Togo v s.korea is a bit dull and Andy Murray is loosing to a guy with a twisted ankle!
    :eek: we're a mob!!! Hmm... raining here too now, waiting for thunder & lightening to start next :rolleyes:

Elaine Straker.. I recognise that name... :confused: cant think how though,
    She's Karen Dixon's (Get Smart, Too Smart) mum... all 5 of her children went round badminton!!! A truly remarkable woman, really lovely... until you did something wrong then :eek: My lil horse was Half Smart (Karen had bought him on then sold him) which made things ten times more frustrating... Elaine would yell "you stupid girl" then at points, pull me into centre of arena, stroke Pringles face and say "poor little horse..." I felt good!!

ReputationRep:
    I must say my dressage is questionable perhaps would be a little better now but i very much looked like an SJer when I was schooling on the flat.... was working on it though and am more inclined to lengthen my stirrups now.

Is your boy young or just a late starter? We have a horse who I used to compete who, like yours seemed to forget everything he knows once he arrived at a show... at home, it would clear 1.30m without even blinking (and I'm talking tracks here, not just single fences!)... at a show, would freak at 90cm!!!! What do you do!!!! Anyway, after perseverance, we were getting round newcomers... don't think he was enjoying it v much so we stopped... he is family pet now!!!! He does go out to shows with a family friend and does showing classes... seem to be more up his street!
    Very late starter, he'll be 11 in july but its not completely his fault. I have no transport so rely on catching a lift with friends. The first outing was local and very few of us turned up but it was meant to be jumping, we refused every fence but cos there were so few entries the organisers were brill and put all the jumps down til he'd been over them all. For the 2nd round, he was getting the hang so well he took off with excitement and bucked me off. Have not jumped in competition on him since... i don't get the chance to jump him much at home either so when there are jumps he is incredibly spooky. Too clever i say - he notices if an upright or spread is bigger even when its only been adjusted 1 hole (this happens when i'm not looking so i don't realise until he refuses). :p:
    He is much better than he used to be but i just wish i could get some quality work out of him when we're out and about.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    That's so frustrating, clever horses can be the bane of your life!! I like small shows like that where they are all friendly and are happy to give you a chance! he sounds quite a character!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    Very late starter, he'll be 11 in july but its not completely his fault. I have no transport so rely on catching a lift with friends. The first outing was local and very few of us turned up but it was meant to be jumping, we refused every fence but cos there were so few entries the organisers were brill and put all the jumps down til he'd been over them all. For the 2nd round, he was getting the hang so well he took off with excitement and bucked me off. Have not jumped in competition on him since... i don't get the chance to jump him much at home either so when there are jumps he is incredibly spooky. Too clever i say - he notices if an upright or spread is bigger even when its only been adjusted 1 hole (this happens when i'm not looking so i don't realise until he refuses). :p:
    He is much better than he used to be but i just wish i could get some quality work out of him when we're out and about.:rolleyes:
    Its great when show staff do their best to accomodate you - helps you get a lot more out the experiance!!! Have you tried loose schooling over fences, changing the heights up and down through the session to help him get used to it?? Watch out tho, some horses will jump a fence (as in arena barrier) much bigger than the jump to avoid it - weirdos :confused: - can be crazy!!

Maybe, if you can get a lift (that must be frustrating!!!) go to some shows and not compete, let it become all a little second nature???

Clever horses... always trouble :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its great when show staff do their best to accomodate you - helps you get a lot more out the experiance!!! Have you tried loose schooling over fences, changing the heights up and down through the session to help him get used to it?? Watch out tho, some horses will jump a fence (as in arena barrier) much bigger than the jump to avoid it - weirdos :confused: - can be crazy!!

Maybe, if you can get a lift (that must be frustrating!!!) go to some shows and not compete, let it become all a little second nature???

Clever horses... always trouble :rolleyes:
    Loose schooling is a bit of a problem when i don't have a school to work in - my arena is no smaller than a 5-acre field. the only time i ride in an arena is when i have my riding lesson.

Yes it is frustrating having to catch a lift. Most of the shows i go to a small so aren't very competitive, he's alright in the practise arena after about an hour, its the competitive bit that gets to him (probably me too).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.