The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
StaVix
is flickr like bebo and ringo?

Yes, don't know if its better/worse but i've joined and on first glance it looks quite good. Not making all my pictures available to the public, if you join then i should be able to make them available to you:p:
Reply 421
coss
Chestnuts are the best colour after all.

chestnuts.. no... i like black horses best, and the unusual colours like dun's. Brght bay horses are great too but far too many of them. steel greay with dark manes and tails are nice :biggrin:
Reply 422
agreed about the grays. I own to chestnuts hence my opinion on that colour (little biased i know)
Just wanted to say hi to all the other horsey people!!!

Had an *amazing* lesson last night - I have this brilliant instructor who literally took me back to the beginning and rebuilt my riding from scratch, and I can see how my riding has improved 1000% since we started in April :smile:

Last night I nailed my leg yield in trot, and a *proper* canter position :smile:

I know this sounds really basic, but for someone who graduated from a riding school then bombed about on loan ponies developing incredibly bad habits for 9 years, learning to ride *properly* is something of a revelation!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Hopefully we'll be doing a few little shows by the end of summer, bit of dressage and some baby showjumps :redface:
Reply 424
I should be taking my boy to a mini dressage comp next week, fingers crossed he behaves
Reply 425
coss
agreed about the grays. I own to chestnuts hence my opinion on that colour (little biased i know)

My family always somehow ends up with chestnuts, I had a chestnut mare, my little sis has had 2 chestnut geldings and my mum has a chestnut gelding too so a little variety would be nice!

elle woods, glad your enjoying it! i know what you mean about picking up horrible habits, converting to polo you have to re-adjust your riding and do things like, neck reining which are horsey sins in other branches, the biggest compiment i got at my last job was when my boss told me I had stopped riding like in was in the pony club!
Reply 426
coss
I should be taking my boy to a mini dressage comp next week, fingers crossed he behaves

good luck, let us know how you get on! we're going on an adventure to the beach, did the forest last week :biggrin: cant wait to go galloping along the beach, i love doing that sooo much, when I took my pony there i managed to get her to swim, felt v cool. think my current girls are a bit scared of the waves :rolleyes:
StaVix
good luck, let us know how you get on! we're going on an adventure to the beach, did the forest last week :biggrin: cant wait to go galloping along the beach, i love doing that sooo much, when I took my pony there i managed to get her to swim, felt v cool. think my current girls are a bit scared of the waves :rolleyes:

your current gels?
Reply 428
Hiya everyone,

I am another horse lover. I haven't been riding for quite a long time. (Too long!) I'm hoping to start riding again soon and hopefully when I go to uni I'll find a good place.

Anyone know a good place around Sussex Uni for riding?

Luv J x
Reply 429
pendragon
your current gels?

Ive been lent 2 polo ponies for the summer to get fit for a friend :biggrin: they get referred to as 'the girls', just easier to distinguish from my sisters pony (male).

Beach trip cancelled due to dodgy suspension on car :frown:
Reply 430
ouch - just make sure you have fun once the suspension is fixed, keep ua posted
Well I've decided to do my BHS stages, has anyone else done them?

They look fairly straight forward so I'm going to see if I can get to BHSAI by this time next year.
Reply 432
good luck, is that to keep you occupied until next feb? no I haven't done them but do know people who have and there is quite a lot of theory but generally they are not too bad, do yo not have to do your stages first, ie 1,2 3 or is that the old system?

I hate to say this but its raining :biggrin: the ground will get a bit softer :biggrin:

BH are you going to Waddington?
Yep it is. You have to go through the stages first so I'll have to sit them all. 1 & 2 look fairly straight forward though. Wonder how soon I can get them all done? :p:

Rains holding off here so I may see about jumping today :biggrin:

No I'm not going, are you?
Quick question....

Yard manager at the yard where I am has asked me if I would be interested in providing a service to DIY liveries who struggle to get to the yard every day, ie, turning out, feeding, mucking out, whatever they require.

Basically my yard does DIY or full livery, so some people who are enquiring for part livery are being put off, and the yard manager thinks I could help. (I have an arrangement with a livery where I help her out in exchange for riding Fluke and she teaches me for free as well, so I'm at the yard frequently already)

So my question is, what sort of charges would be acceptable? It would be a mix and match list, and the livery would simple specify what they want to to do.

What would you deem acceptable to charge for:
* feeding
* turning out
* bringing in
* mucking out
* filling / hanging haynets
* rug changing
* grooming
* exercising

I'm not greedy, I want to be reasonable lol! But have no idea what other people charge for this...
Thankyou :smile:
My yard charges the following:

Feeding: 50p
Turning out/bringin in: £1.00
filling haynets: 50p
Mucking out: £2.00
rug changing: £1.00
grooming: £1.00
Exercising: £5.00
Reply 436
BlackHawk
Yep it is. You have to go through the stages first so I'll have to sit them all. 1 & 2 look fairly straight forward though. Wonder how soon I can get them all done? :p:

Rains holding off here so I may see about jumping today :biggrin:

No I'm not going, are you?

I think i might well be, Lou is so should be fun and ive never been to one.
do you have a local agri college, they normally do them through there. hows the jumping going? is your horse getting more confident?
Reply 437
BlackHawk
My yard charges the following:

Feeding: 50p
Turning out/bringin in: £1.00
filling haynets: 50p
Mucking out: £2.00
rug changing: £1.00
grooming: £1.00
Exercising: £5.00

:eek: wow thats very cheap!!! lucky you, my mums horse is basically on full livery at £70 per week, while my horses are on grazing only at £12 per week.
Reply 438
My horses are at home so i'm not up to date on prices that much but a friend of mine told me ages ago that they had to pay for the DIY livery but if for whatever reason they couldn't make it in (as long as it wasn't a regular thing) then they just paid a little extra - approx same prices as quoted by blackhawk
Reply 439
The cheapest my yard offers is £45 for grass livery per week, schooling is £20 per hour and shavings are £11 per week. And for full competition livery it's £193 per week, for a 16.3hh horse with the same extras.

Latest