Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ahh wicked!! Trekking is on my list of things to do...i've always fancied going somewhere random like Chile (sp!) to do it though.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    Wow, a horsey thread
    I started riding when I was about 6, after much much begging to my totally non-horsey parents!! I bugged them for a pony for about 8 years and finally got one on loan when I was about 14...yay!! But I think I kind of rushed into choosing him (Billy, a 20 y.o...hmm I think he was NF x TB? Maybe a bit of Welsh in there too! Not sure!! 14.3hh) cos although he was sweet to handle he was just too strong for me, and I couldn't afford to have lessons or do anythin with him really as paying for livery & feed & essentials (worming; shoeing etc) was enough of a stretch as it was! So I was just kinda stuck to hacking out on the roads (luckily I live in a quiet rural area) as as soon as his feet touched the grass he was off! I knew I wouldn't come off or anything but I had no chance of stopping him, I just had to sit it out till he calmed down after 5 minutes of galloping round and round a field!! So naturally that wasn't to much fun, and schooling him was a joke, I had no guidance really and wasn't really sure what I was doing. Plus he was far too strong in the school. He was just a cheeky older pony with a lot of experience of taking the mickey out of his riders :rolleyes:
    Anyway, so as I wasn't really getting much 'out of it' and my GCSEs were coming up we decided to find a new loaner for him. Haven't seen him since
    I think had I been enjoying having him a bit more, or had I had a different pony which suited me more, I might not have given it up.
    Anyways...am 18 now - last summer I helped out a bit at a small riding school, worked during their pony camps and also went down to ride every so often in return for a bit of a hand with the chores, a bit of mucking out/poo picking/haynet filling etc. However as I'm back at college now and it's kinda the 'final straight' before the A2 exams (and I really need to get my AAB!!) I'm a bit pushed for time really!! So I haven't been for a few months (Also being winter, I'm a wuss and riding isn't half as attractive in December!! Hehe)
    Sometimes I really wish I had my own pony/horse again. I think I'd be a lot more selective about finding one to suit me if I did it again. I was soo excited before that I just kind of 'loved' the first pony I went to see (Billy). If I could keep one at home with me it'd be so much easier you know, cos travelling 7 miles and back to a livery yard each day is a hassle.
    Wow sorry just realised how stupidly long this post is!! Sorry guess I get carried away when I start going on about horses!!
    I'm hoping to get into University of Birmingham this year for Psychology (really need that AAB!!) does anybody know if there are any horsey 'opportunities' there? Like, a uni riding society or nearby stables?
    Sorry to go on!!!
    x x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_pennell)
    Lol ellewoods..they love the mud too much, our hairy boys are out minus rugs right now and are like bog monsters!!
    Frey may be 17.2hh but he's too much of a fairy to be out without rugs just yet!! :rolleyes: He has his huge NZ on with a neck hood thing on, but manages to get every single exposed inch of himself caked in mud! His tail is literally a mud rope, its so vile!!

He isn't mine, I help out an overstretched friend who works lots of hours - I havent ridden since my last loan pony went back about 7 years ago Iv only recently got back into horses, and havent even been back in the saddle yet due to Frey's height!! (Im five foot and 8st 12lbs!) However he is impeccable mannered and schooled, and Im having my first "refresher" lesson on him on Friday - Im nervous and excited!!!

Doe anyone have any advice for riding a horse much too big for you?? Will I be ok?? :confused: Iv never ridden anything over 15hh before!!

ReputationRep:
    I love horses and have been riding for about 8 or 9 years.

I've been riding someones pony for them for about 5 years but have recently stopped because she's a bit small for me and pretty old. I still go and see her, feed her etc cuz I love her to bits.

ReputationRep:
    Nick Griffin likes horses.

ReputationRep:
    I have been riding for about 12 years and I own 2 arabs. My first pony was a connemara cross ands she was a a bit of a handful to ride until i was a bit older. She was an ex-riding school pony and new all the tricks of the trade. Looking back now, i see how much she taught me - survival techniques.

I keep my horses at home so ride in our fields. One of my Arabs is 29 this year. She is a real sweetheart. She no longer jumps but i still ride her otherwise she gets in a strop. Does any1 else own an elderly horse/pony that they still ride? If so, do they get in a bad mood if you don't work them?

My other horse will be 11 this year but his mind is still young. I wish it would catch up. He has the potential to be a lovely pony but has a spooky edge to him. I can see the potential but his sillyness (is that a word?!) is rather annoying. If i had the knowledge i do now when i got him, i'm sorry to say i probably would not have bought him . At the time i bought him there seemed to be no other horses about that seemed suitable so it just seemed right. I must say, i couldn't live without him now even tho he is a brat :rolleyes:

I really enjoy dressage as it gives me the sense of a bit more control. Its bad enough having a spooky pony without trying to get him over a "scary jump":eek: . Are there any more dressage fans out there? Most people say they hate it and that its boring but i find it really helps with everything - jumping, hacking etc.

ReputationRep:
    I've been riding since I was about two-- my parents strapped me on with a little rainbow seatbelt!! I've gone through about a billion horses, as my parents own a boarding stable back in the States... just got back from Florida, where I'd taken my horse down for the winter to do some events- it's lovely and warm! His name is Liam, and he's a big gray Irish Sport Horse; loves getting dirty and eating my mom's straw hat. I don't get to see him much now that I'm away at uni in Scotland

But he's my very best friend and the most fun out on cross country!
    Some pictures from last month if you'd like to see... I love showing him off :P

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1

http://www.photoreflect.com/scripts/...um=0&adjust=-1

So handsome

ReputationRep:
    I've been riding for 13 years at Wellington Riding (have a nosy! http://www.wellington-riding.co.uk/) and it costs about £25 for a one hour group lesson, however, even the top group got a bit rubbish with kids falling off push-buttons(!! HOW!!) and so I have a semi-private now with my friend which costs between £38 and £41 depending on the day! So quite pricey but it's an EXCELLENT yard and I know all the horses so well worth it!

I used to have an Arab called Sonnet who died when he was 36 and right up to the end he jumped and infact a month or so before he died I competed him around a 3ft course- not bad for an old timer! I competed him a bit (show jumping, dressage) but not much due to his age...not that it mattered AT ALL!

After Sonnet it was a choice of another horse or a good school- I chose the good school with the view that i'd get good grades, get into a good Uni and get a good, well paid job so that i could keep LOADS of horses...!!! So i stuck to Wellington and finally found the perfect horse who I had from 1999 to 2005 called Rosie- Throroughbred cross something-that-no one-knew-that-made-her-bolt-a-lot!!!! who I adored. She left to live with an old lady due to 'bad legs'- there was nothing wrong with ehr she just got bored as she couldnt' do jumping every day!

I rode Spider for a while (his pic is under 'Horses' on the Welly site)- he is over 17hh, Thoroughbred x tiny-bit-of-Arab and ABSOLUTELY MENTAL- can jump ANYTHING when he wants too, can also fall over 2 inch poles intended to persuade him to do a flying change between fences! He also fell over a jump the other day- only about 3ft but still he managed to fall right over- but i stayed on!! do NOT know how!! And that is it up till now- i'm riding on Friday after mocks and prob won't be Spider as there are some new horses i'd like to try....I competed up until a few years ago regularly at Wellington but due to the quality of the Rosie apparently it 'wasn't fair on the kids' (DO NOT aks why EVERYONE was put int he same comp- if under 18 you all rode together- heights just changed- WAS EXCRUCIATING!!!) and I had to ride crap horses- lazy cobs who had given up the will to live- and so I stopped as no point but hopefully will pick up again when i have my own horses in the future!

Sorry about the length of the post!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah I vaguely (as in very vaguely) know Wellington. I love the golden oldies that keep going forever, we used to have a grey thing that was 36 when he retired. We bought him age 33 and he kept my sister going for ages and they both loved just having fun. He had a wicked sense of humour too lol!!

Ellewoods - don't worry about the bigger sized horses. I went from riding a 14.3 Dales job to a 17.3. Big difference but I barely notice the height difference and when you are on you don't feel any bigger. Its just things like extra space and support round the corners that they need as they are so big.

He is lovely littleheadache, I am so jealous.I don't have the confidence to jump at all! I barely manange 2ft lol!!

Coss if its any comfort we've an 11 year old the same. He has tonnes of potential but ruins it by squealing the whole way round the ring (yes literally just a highpitched whistle of excitment) and then pigrooting in canter!! Monsters! We do some dressage too through winter. Its very useful discipline to have/do and it helps in all spheres.

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever ridden at Wellington? It's really good- not so great for learning though- better for when you can actually ride and do good stuff. My brat sister wants to learn to ride and apart from the shame factor- she won't be riding there because it's too big and they don't really take the time neccessary over begginners....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loser88)
    Have you ever ridden at Wellington? It's really good- not so great for learning though- better for when you can actually ride and do good stuff. My brat sister wants to learn to ride and apart from the shame factor- she won't be riding there because it's too big and they don't really take the time neccessary over begginners....
    Where abouts do you live? i know wellington and dont live too far away from there!

i have been riding for about 14 years and own a 17hh cleveland bay x tb gelding. He has 22 BE points (not with me) and i do novice eventing with him. i have only had him 8 months and he has been lame for 6 of those - really roten luck!! fingers crossed hes back on track for a bit later in the season!! i love riding so much and really dont know what to do in september wen i go to uni! ive applied for physio and know i wont have any time to look after him whilst im there but dont really want to loan him! i concidered putting him in as a working liverly - that way i could ride him at weekends...i really dont know!!!

Whats everyone else doing with there horses? i cant imagine not riding for 3 years!!!

Theres some pictures of Archy and Gem on MySpace!

http://spaces.msn.com/baranifreak

ReputationRep:
    Nice horses! I have been riding for about 12 years. I will be going to uni in Sept too. I have a 28 (nearly 29)year old Arab mare and 11(nearly 12) year old Arab gelding. I'm really worried too. My mum will be looking after them as I keep them at home but its still concerns me cos she cannot exercise them at all. My mare is becoming prone to becoming lame at the slightest thing (i wish she was younger) and my gelding can be a little vicious on the odd occation. I recognise when he's going to turn but i'm worrid that other people will get kicked or worse cos he's so cheeky . I will be going home as often as possible as the uni is about 50miles away from home.:s: I'm just going to go with the flow and hope for the best:rolleyes:
    I'm just lucky my mum is prepared to look after them.

ReputationRep:
    I have made a horse fanatics society although its not in the societies section. u can go up to the Socs link at the top and join if u want. open to any1 who loves horses...........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_tucker)
    Ellewoods - don't worry about the bigger sized horses. I went from riding a 14.3 Dales job to a 17.3. Big difference but I barely notice the height difference and when you are on you don't feel any bigger. Its just things like extra space and support round the corners that they need as they are so big.
    Thankyou Makes me feel better!! And I never thought about practical differences like space and corners etc Im so used to bombing round on little ponies, so thanks for bringing that up!!

Littleheadache Im having a rubbish day and those beautiful photographs of your beautiful horse just made me smile for the first time today!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)
    Littleheadache Im having a rubbish day and those beautiful photographs of your beautiful horse just made me smile for the first time today!!
    Awww thanks so much!! He makes my day too

Hope you're feeling better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleheadache)
    Awww thanks so much!! He makes my day too

Hope you're feeling better!
    Yeah I am today thanks
    Just final year pressure catching up with me .... who needs a degree, I want to just ride all day!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Well i went riding today, and had Spider and concentrated on the positions of my friend and I so just jumped a plain double about 3ft. Spider was a bit spooky, and Charade was in a grump- bloody mare!- and so being annoying. I was just wondering if anyone knew of any good yards in or around London? As i'll hopefully be at Uni there and it's a bit pricey to travel back to Wellington? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Liam competed last weekend in Florida with my trainer and got 8th! I'm very pleased Then again, we'll have to work extra hard to move up in the summer...

ReputationRep:
    ah well done littleheadache, i gather its big competition out in Florida...everyones seems to migrate there in the winter months to compete at any rate!!

Loser88 has Kings or Queen Marys got a riding club, I'm out at RHUL and we ride at Langshot at Chobham (Fab riding school!) with the club. They are your best option when you get to uni as they are cheap lessons too.

Coss sounds like you're in a difficult situation but 50 miles isn't too far so hopefully you'll get home lots but don't let it affect your enjoyment of uni> I had one friend that used to commute home from uni (slightly more distance) every weekend religiously to compete and really struggled to bond with the people on her floor. Once the season was over and she stayed it got a lot better. Try and strike a good balance although I completely understand wanting to get home to see them as much as possible, i know i do!

Hana he's gorgeous!! Gosh I miss horses so much, way more than family (is that wrong lol). They are off to their first party (show!) this weekend after a long weekend and I'm stuck thousands of miles on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Its sucks so bad sometimes, not that I would give up being in Canada for the world. I just wish I could move everything over here (selfish i know but hey I'll live!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_tucker)
    ah well done littleheadache, i gather its big competition out in Florida...everyones seems to migrate there in the winter months to compete at any rate!!

Loser88 has Kings or Queen Marys got a riding club, I'm out at RHUL and we ride at Langshot at Chobham (Fab riding school!) with the club. They are your best option when you get to uni as they are cheap lessons too.

Coss sounds like you're in a difficult situation but 50 miles isn't too far so hopefully you'll get home lots but don't let it affect your enjoyment of uni> I had one friend that used to commute home from uni (slightly more distance) every weekend religiously to compete and really struggled to bond with the people on her floor. Once the season was over and she stayed it got a lot better. Try and strike a good balance although I completely understand wanting to get home to see them as much as possible, i know i do!

Hana he's gorgeous!! Gosh I miss horses so much, way more than family (is that wrong lol). They are off to their first party (show!) this weekend after a long weekend and I'm stuck thousands of miles on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Its sucks so bad sometimes, not that I would give up being in Canada for the world. I just wish I could move everything over here (selfish i know but hey I'll live!)
    Thanks for the idea: I dunno about King's but on the open day at QM the girl that was showing me around didn't know. I've found a couple of places that are a few stops away from where I'm going to live that look really good and are about the same price as Welly. They have good looking horses and lessons at the right standard for me so that's all good- but would like to look around and then go visiting them all- poss when supposed to be on a school trip to see Hamlet!!! So any other ideas would be great.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.