Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loser88)
    I normally warm up for a minimum of 20 minutes for a jumping lesson- walk, trot, canter, both reins, transisitons, circles, serpentines- sometimes I even go on for longer doing yielding etc. if the horse I'm on is difficult!!
    Is always good to incorporate transitions and variety of bends in warm up for SJ.... think peeps forget that behind SJ, good dressage is required.... suppleness, responsiveness etc

Leg yeilding is good as are demi-pirouets (sp?)... not that I've had then chance for a while :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    well done Coss sounds like you and Harry are doing well at your dressage...

its day off today no horses although I am getting a slight guilt trip about leaving my 2 in the field all day with the flies.. am contemplating bringing them in... but then i will have to muck out thus negating the no horse activity rule... mmm

Lou sounds as though you are having withdrawal symptoms! Im sure the RAF saddle clubs cant wait to have someone like you who enjoys jumping etc! is there a club at your FC base... cant for the life of me remember what its called. (p.s forgot list.. sorry.. ).
    Yup crossing tracks does count as a refusal as I have done to my cost .

the more horse stuff i do, the more i think dressage is the basis upon which horses becomme successful. take polo although they are broken to one rein riding asap and neck reining etc, schooling you do lots of turns on the forehands stopping using their hind legs getting them off the forehand etc etc. the best ponies are the most balanced, agile and supple ones. i rode this one who was soooooooo one sided (a common problem as you tend to use the right canter lead to hit off and circle right) it was really stiff and on the left rein went round in a crooked shape poor thing almost fell over in shock when i went round to the left and asked it to canter on the left lead!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaVix)

its day off today no horses although I am getting a slight guilt trip about leaving my 2 in the field all day with the flies.. am contemplating bringing them in... but then i will have to muck out thus negating the no horse activity rule... mmm

Lou sounds as though you are having withdrawal symptoms! Im sure the RAF saddle clubs cant wait to have someone like you who enjoys jumping etc! is there a club at your FC base... cant for the life of me remember what its called. (p.s forgot list.. sorry.. ).
    Yup crossing tracks does count as a refusal as I have done to my cost .

the more horse stuff i do, the more i think dressage is the basis upon which horses becomme successful. take polo although they are broken to one rein riding asap and neck reining etc, schooling you do lots of turns on the forehands stopping using their hind legs getting them off the forehand etc etc. the best ponies are the most balanced, agile and supple ones. i rode this one who was soooooooo one sided (a common problem as you tend to use the right canter lead to hit off and circle right) it was really stiff and on the left rein went round in a crooked shape poor thing almost fell over in shock when i went round to the left and asked it to canter on the left lead!
    Yup! Totally.... miss it quite a bit a mo and am looking forward when I can get back into it properly - it has to be all or nothing in a way, couldn't cope with going for the odd hack, would rather not go - just not the way im wired. I love having something to work towards, namely competition and like to be able to give it 110 % (you'll know this tho, its like anything really? ). Am going to email Ellie and see what info she can give me on SJ teams etc, saddle club locations (is it me or is that such a cheesy name?). I'm going to be a Boulmer for FC and don't recall one, but i didn't ask so who knows?

ReputationRep:
    ah ha Boulmer thats it had a total blank moment! it will be nice riding country up there.. cold... but nice!

the saddle club is a very cheesy name reminds me of those books, did you used to read them when you were younger, with stevie, lisa and... other random girl who was sensible..?. they made a tv show of it and it was not quite the same!

ReputationRep:
    YEAHHHHHH! oh those were the days! I think the other girl was called carol? Remeber colbalt the pony and the spoilt girl who owned her and wasn't the riding school owner called max and everyone used to guess who his dad was or something (pirate, bank robber etc). Think thats why i find the name so cheesy - feel about 9 again ... ''I'm a member of the saddle club.... mum, can I have 50p'' lol! Am sure the two are quite different though :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaVix)

Thank you, fingers crossed that it wasn't just a really nice judge. The person who won achieved 76% so i am leaning towards that fact it was a very positive judge. Saying that, the judges are meant to be really good at this comp so maybe other judges are too strict. anyway - still pleased with outcome.
    It is the same with me, i always used to prefer jumping to dressage. There was a change over of instructors at the riding school i was going to and suddenly the jumps were lower and there was more schooling even for a jumping lesson. gradually it became apparent that the schooling was helping the horses jump better and was improving my riding. The clearest lesson i can remember was when the jumps were postioned as follows,
    JUMP 2AGap between fencesJUMP 2B
    centred...Instructor

centred...JUMP 1
    As you went over the first jump you had to be absolutely straight as the instructor would point to whichever jump you were to jump 2nd as you took off. It quickened all the riders reactions and made the horses more alert. It also meant that both sides of the horse were being worked equally as they had to sort themselves out on landing to be balanced to turn.

Leg yeilding is good as are demi-pirouets (sp?)... not that I've had then chance for a while
    Agreed, demi pirouettes are very useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    YEAHHHHHH! oh those were the days! I think the other girl was called carol? Remeber colbalt the pony and the spoilt girl who owned her and wasn't the riding school owner called max and everyone used to guess who his dad was or something (pirate, bank robber etc). Think thats why i find the name so cheesy - feel about 9 again ... ''I'm a member of the saddle club.... mum, can I have 50p'' lol! Am sure the two are quite different though :rolleyes:
    I used to love The Saddle Club books! Do you remember that amazing sounding ice cream parlour they used to go too? I always used to be more envious of that than I did the horse riding that they did.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you just don't get those in the UK do you? Or not round were I used to live anyway . I remember how Stevie used to have a swimming pool too, which always sounded awesome!

Foaly is home btw... happy and healthy - phew!

ReputationRep:
    Pleased foal is ok. Temperatures meant to peak today, too hot already although there is a bit of a breeze so could be worse

ReputationRep:
    Cheers Coss,
    down my way we are expecting temperatures to hit b/t 35 and 37 degrees OMG, its going to be soooo warm - lots of water peeps!!

ReputationRep:
    OMG it was hot these last 2 days, hope everyones horses are ok, got up at 8 to ride (having gone for a run) did some laps bareback and they were still sweating buckets. poor little things waited until it was nearly dark to ride tonight for the second set, giving them lots of electrolytes. Got pony club hell tomorrow spoilt little brats demanding their favourite ponies and wanting to warm up hours before their match, charging up and done, hanging onto ponies mouths then getting upset when the ponies start bouncing around!

ReputationRep:
    Tell me about the heat, discovered tonight on a late night ride that my horse is scared of Wheelie bins, bless x

ReputationRep:
    heat so bad. Rode at 21.30 - 22.30 yesterday evening. Lovely workable temperature but far too many midges!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    heat so bad. Rode at 21.30 - 22.30 yesterday evening. Lovely workable temperature but far too many midges!!!
    OMG don't get me started on midges!!! :mad: :mad: hate the little blighters!!

Anyone else find that fly spray seems to work for allof three seconds... and if you put it on you, it attracts them :eek:

Am sweet skinned as me mam says anyway, which doesn't help *mumbles something grumbly under breath*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rose_Greenthumb)
    I used to love The Saddle Club books! Do you remember that amazing sounding ice cream parlour they used to go too? I always used to be more envious of that than I did the horse riding that they did.
    I LOVED The Saddle Club!!!!
    Cried for ages when they had to have Pepper put down, I was literally gutted

ReputationRep:
    Remember when colbalt broke his leg and how upset carol was??

Pepper.... sounds so familiar but can't quite remember??!! Wasn't there a foal involved somewhere at one point? So going to go rumage through the books tonight

Remeber the cheesy pics of those three girls they used to have on the front cover... they'd just be sat on a wall or something like they were out of a littlewoods catalogue lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    OMG don't get me started on midges!!! :mad: :mad: hate the little blighters!!

Anyone else find that fly spray seems to work for allof three seconds... and if you put it on you, it attracts them :eek:

Am sweet skinned as me mam says anyway, which doesn't help *mumbles something grumbly under breath*
    'Ditch the Itch' by Lincoln does not seem to be helping me and Cognac much, they love his saddle cloth too- must smell of strongly of horse :mad: His tail is an absolute mess

ReputationRep:
    Harry's fly rug has really helped as it broke the itch/scratch cycle . Am using a new fly repellent that seems to last a lot longer than the usual ones. No citronella so don't have to worry about that. Think its made by Nettex. Its a spray (comes in wipe form aswell) and contains DEET and TEE TREE OILits a green/turquoise label. Not for human's though . Is meant to sooth bites on the horse as well. Dawn has had quite a few horse flies biting her recently, i smack them and a small spot of blood is left. Spray her all over with the fly repellent (ears go back and she waltzes back and forth) but she doesn't mind it once ive started even when its sprays over where she's been bitten.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraWalker)
    'Ditch the Itch' by Lincoln does not seem to be helping me and Cognac much, they love his saddle cloth too- must smell of strongly of horse :mad: His tail is an absolute mess
    We have had to ditch our 'ditch the itch' :rolleyes: its been making Fluke itch lol! :p: The irony!
    Caz has made some of her own fly repellent, it smells vile she says (I cant smell it though weirdly enough!) and its seems to be doing the trick

In response to the Saddle Club questions, Pepper was the grey (with 'pepper' flecks :rolleyes: ) who was Lisa's favourite horse. He had to be put down due to old age after leading a long and happy life.
    I wanted to be Stevie so bad when I was young, I was so jealous of all the horse access she had, and I had this fixation with wanting a twin as well!! :rolleyes:
    Yup, think Im going to dig the books out the next sunny read-in-the-garden day we have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)
    In response to the Saddle Club questions, Pepper was the grey (with 'pepper' flecks :rolleyes: ) who was Lisa's favourite horse. He had to be put down due to old age after leading a long and happy life.
    I wanted to be Stevie so bad when I was young, I was so jealous of all the horse access she had, and I had this fixation with wanting a twin as well!! :rolleyes:
    Yup, think Im going to dig the books out the next sunny read-in-the-garden day we have
    Oh yeah, pepper!!! Yeah stevie rocked! She always came up with the hairbrained scheme's - totally know what you mean about the twin thing, always wondered... my mum and her mum are twins :rolleyes:

Those books were pure genius!! I was never a typically ''horsey'' child - loved riding, was v lucky and have ridden since i was two and got own pony when I ws 9, but only had 1 my little pony, didn't read horse and pony (although I was in it - was in one of their comic strips, a quiz and modeled :eek: some horse clothes you could win... me, my bro and some peeps!) and generally didn't do the horse craze thing??? Is odd??

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.