The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 700
cheers lou! i was like OMG guards no 1 ground too...
its not an absess, although i do love those things like that, squeezing spots etc! I hijacked the vet and he thinks it the elbow version of a capped hock? ie a capped elbow not major and i can still play her yee ha :biggrin: although was stick and balling and miss hit a neck shot and unwittingly wrapped the stick round her head :frown: plus its on camera! oh the shame..

went for mammoth hack this evening went wading in the river... so cool! poor bicuit is a bit smaller than her friends and we ie me, biscuit and my tack got slightly deeper than we imagined :rolleyes: with inevitably damp results!
Reply 701
i guess that means you will be tack cleaning lots then:biggrin:
Would members not agree that there is enough room for 3 horses in the Arena below? Cos this lady thinks there is room for two.
Reply 703
coss
i guess that means you will be tack cleaning lots then:biggrin:

lol mmm its appeared to have dried nicely by lunch today, just in time to get it dirty again!
more PC hell tomorrow, last day :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: phew!
Laura W looks fine as long as they are in control etc!
Reply 704
agreed - does look fairly big. Rider has good position i thought.
StaVix - pleased you got away without having to clean tack :biggrin:
I had the nicest thing happen to me yesterday at work.
I can't remember whether I postd about how much they have been messing around with my riding and just generally.
I was talking to one of our long-term clients who used to help out here and get on really well with her. She asked about my riding and I told her I'd had to stop because of funds and bascially fed up with them taking advantage of me and not teaching me properly because I worked there, even though I was paying same amount as everyone else.
Mentioned I wanted to do our Summer Show next week but it was a ridiculous amount to pay (£40) for hire for the day when I wanted to do 2 classes ( a tiny clear round SJ about 1ft 9. Can do bigger but don't have any of the show attire to do the bigger classes in the proper ring; and an ridden show class). She instantly offered to pay for me if I paid class fees. Would not let me pay half saying I deserved it, I'd helped her out lots, that they shouldn't take advantage of me.
I actually welled up, I couldn't believe it so off I trotted to go book my gorgeous mare but she was already booked and so was my second choice gelding :frown:
Still so grateful for her offering the chance to me!

Also had a sneaky ride on the mare I tried to book...Kerry! Lunged her for 10 minutes then sat on her. Did lots without stirrups and 1 of the instructors was actually nice saying how good my position was without stirrups and how well me and Kerry got on! Shes known to be a wee bit difficult.
Pictures of all my adventures at work with all my horses can be seen here.
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v437/pyscopathic_midget/Summerhouse/
Long post sorry!
yes it is really big, trust me. I think the lady is a beginner and was nervous about riding around other people. :smile: Its me and Cognac last winter- not quite a square halt LOL. We were at another livery yard were people were really bitchy and wanted to hog the Arena for themselves. This was a really kind person, makes a change :smile:

I remember this showground with a small Arena where you they timed your warm up session in the collecting ring so everyone got a turn
Wow just rode in my Ariats for the first time. They are amazing, I'd recommend them to anyone. Got the endurance springbok to wear with half chaps whilst its so hot. I think u can get long Ariat leather boots too.
Guys, if a horse cut himself and 24 hours later he still has swelling the size of a tennis ball, would you call the vet?

J's gone through another fence due to being away from his fieldmates and cut himself up badly this time. He isn't lame but his leg is very hot and swollen. I've been rinsing it with saline solution, cold hosing it, packing it with wound powder and then sealing it with antiseptic.
Reply 709
BlackHawk
Guys, if a horse cut himself and 24 hours later he still has swelling the size of a tennis ball, would you call the vet?

J's gone through another fence due to being away from his fieldmates and cut himself up badly this time. He isn't lame but his leg is very hot and swollen. I've been rinsing it with saline solution, cold hosing it, packing it with wound powder and then sealing it with antiseptic.

BH thats not good :hugs:

If you are unsure or worried then call the vet... it's better to be safe than sorry? Hope he gets better soon!
*sighs* Thanks Lou :frown:

Going back after work to see if it's any better. I can't believe how inconsiderate some people are on livery yards. First J was chucked out with another fieldmate, then other fieldmates owner who got me chucked out in the first place decides that as I'm leaving next week she wants to move her horse into another field. So of course she never told me. Poor J was left all alone and couldn't see any other horses so went through another fence. Much worse this time though. :frown:

Was debating about the vet yesterday, but it's nice and clean. There is some yellow gunk, but I don't know if it's pus or plasma. It's quite deep hence the need to pack it.
Reply 711
BlackHawk

Going back after work to see if it's any better. I can't believe how inconsiderate some people are on livery yards. First J was chucked out with another fieldmate, then other fieldmates owner who got me chucked out in the first place decides that as I'm leaving next week she wants to move her horse into another field. So of course she never told me. Poor J was left all alone and couldn't see any other horses so went through another fence. Much worse this time though. :frown:
Was debating about the vet yesterday, but it's nice and clean. There is some yellow gunk, but I don't know if it's pus or plasma. It's quite deep hence the need to pack it.

A similar thing happened to me in my old yard! :frown: It really irritated me. I had Rosie at the time and we also had a pony on loan called Pepsi, they got on really well so were always in the same field but because all the other horses tended to bully Pepsi it was only ever them two together.

This was fine but they had a massive field which they used electric fencing to seperate into pens in the summer and all the horses would be up there but they put Rosie ad Pepsi around the cornor away from all the other horses.

Rosie is quite a clingy horse and is not happy if she doesn't have lots of other horses around her. Therefore she obviously got upset and barged through the electric fencing and went in with the other horses. She had never barged through electric fencing as she was always very scared of it and she cut her leg and was lame :mad: She had never been lame before that and had perfect legs I was sooo annoyed!! They still continued to move them away from the other horses after that despite me asking them not to.
Reply 712
BlackHawk

Grr! I'm annoyed for you hun!! :mad: The mentality of some people amazes me!!! You can also garuntee that if you were to ask these people if what they do (hyperthetically) away from the yard, they would be jumping up and down saying how stupid it was!! Do people have no sense? Poor J :frown: You know a horse is seriously stressed if it puts itself through a fence just to be near other horses... horses are heard animals, always have been always will be!

Plasma tends to be clear and straw coloured... if it's thick and cloudy then I reckon thats pus? Purple spray maybe... crazy colour, stains terribly but good way of getting some antiseptic deep inside the cut?
Yep I've been using lots of purple spray, it's a godsend. I haven't blown up at anyone on the yard yet, but I'm very tempted. It all smacks of selfishness. I would never leave a horse on it's own without letting the owners know about it.

Luckily my mate moved her horses next door to J so he's got some company now.

It must be plasma as he's cut it quite deep (almost considered getting ti stitched up) so it's dripping a bit. The cut isn't always bleeding, but whenever I go to see him his legs covered in blood again, so it must be from him moving around at night.

Can't wait to get him moved on Sunday!
Sorry to hear that BlackHawk, people in livery yards can be very inconsiderate I know. When the horses in health is in issue they should know better. I agree with LouEds remark that they are herd animals, possibly why the little sod bolts to the other end of the field and his mates all follow when I want to catch him *screams*
sheryl06
Rosie is quite a clingy horse and is not happy if she doesn't have lots of other horses around her. Therefore she obviously got upset and barged through the electric fencing and went in with the other horses. She had never barged through electric fencing as she was always very scared of it and she cut her leg and was lame :mad: She had never been lame before that and had perfect legs I was sooo annoyed!! They still continued to move them away from the other horses after that despite me asking them not to.

Very annoying and inconsiderate isn't it? You'd think that if someone owns a horse they'd be smart enough to know that they are herd animals.

I don't think J will ever be able to show now, as he hind leg is very scarred, plus this new wound.
LauraWalker
Sorry to hear that BlackHawk, people in livery yards can be very inconsiderate I know. When the horses in health is in issue they should know better. I agree with LouEds remark that they are herd animals, possibly why the little sod bolts to the other end of the field and his mates all follow when I want to catch him *screams*

Thanks. To be honest I don't think they give a toss about other peoples horses as long as their ones are ok!
Um sounds familar. The yard I am at now is lovely, its a real mess and muddy but the people love horses so much. My old yard was really posh with all the automatic waters, posh indoor but they did not give a crap about my horses and bascially stopped feeding Cognac. By the time I noticed, he was nearly at call the RSPCA stage. I had been in hospital and entrusted this person. We pay less livery now but get food. I just cannot believe how selfish people can be a. He is an animal who feels pain b. I was ill and it hurt me too 3. He used to be a top sports horse, and still can be so they have no respect for the sport either
Reply 718
BlackHawk
Very annoying and inconsiderate isn't it? You'd think that if someone owns a horse they'd be smart enough to know that they are herd animals.

I don't think J will ever be able to show now, as he hind leg is very scarred, plus this new wound.

Any chance you can claim on your insurance under loss of use as the scarring will prevent him from showing? Value decrease and all that...

If the wound is weeping then probably is plasma, which in a way is good news... no infection :wink:
Reply 719
BH - that is terrible about J, I think you should get in contact with a vet even if they don't come out. If you've got a digital camera it may help them. I agree with LouE3D, you should go for loss of use insurance. My instructor did that with her horse when he fractured his pedal bone - he was/is a showjumper.

Latest