Turn on thread page Beta

Equestrian watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Went to a local show yesterday. Here are some pics:
    The devil's horsemen-

Took this photo of what looked a really nice horse from the rear. Does anyone else think its front end it rather big compared to the back end (muscle wise)

Gorgeous Arab

ReputationRep:
    I agree that front end looks big compared to the rear, to me it looks like it has quite a short back?? nice markings though.

ReputationRep:
    nice markings yes but i also agree with you, the back does appear short. I wouldn't say it is the best built horse. It is only young so maybe it will fill out but i saw it a while ago and it seems like the front end gets bigger and nothing else does

ReputationRep:
    ahh yea being young I'm sure it'll grow a bit. Are many people in herre into coloureds or not??

ReputationRep:
    I like blanket appaloosas and thats it for coloureds really!

ReputationRep:
    agreed, blanket apps are quite nice but i still love chestnuts (not that i'm biased at all)

ReputationRep:
    I've always been a grey fan... not grey greys' (:rolleyes:) but flea bitten and dappled and steel etc... always find them striking, even if they do drive you loopy trying to clean them lol!

Coloureds are cool, again because they are unusual... particularly appolosas, etc.

Don't think I've ever swung to buy a horse because of its colour, but I guess if their were two, equal capability, equal temprement and i got on equally well with I might? I knew a woman, who would always make her judgement on whether the horse had a 'kind eye' or not... seems to be a good way to go,if you ask me (as a clincher, not a be all and end all obviously - that would be nuts! Although, apparently she has done that before...?)

ReputationRep:
    My first pony was a grey but due to her age she was a really white grey so keeping her clean was really difficult. When i was given Dawn she came with a skewbald cob. She was really clumsy but affectionate, not a good combination. She didn't seem to fit in with us so a friend took her on and her boyfriend really gelled. I think you really have to click with a horse before buying. My instructor will see over 40horses sometimes before buying. Time and patience is crucial

ReputationRep:
    Before I had Rosie, I had a dapple grey pony with a flebitten face called Lucy and a bay pony on loan called Pepsi. I really didn't like coloureds at all then although I'm not completely sure that I had a proper reason why I didn't' We went to Rosie expecting her to just be a strawberry roan because that's all that was advertised. I love her colour now though because it's so unusual and I like the fact that it's something that gets her noticed at shows and stuff I also like having the option to do coloured showing aswell as it gives you a few extra classes. I would def look out for a coloured the next time a buy. Obviously I don't think I would turn down a horse I really liked because it wasn't coloured but it would be a bonus

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh a horse thread.

I'm 18, have been riding for 14 years and got my first horse when I was 6 - a little 12.2hh Welsh Mountain pony whom I still have

Current horse is a 10yr old 15.2hh Irish Draught x Clydesdale gelding, complete stunner. Compete him a lot, we're usually suucessful on the rare occasions he doesn't get worked up at being somewhere new!

Photos-
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1...2/balkello.jpg
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b1.../warmingup.jpg

Taking him to uni with me, luckily the riding club and SJ team ride at a yard where I'm already in the SJ league so I can move him there relatively hassle free

ReputationRep:
    Can really see the clydsdale in him. big jump. does he wear shoes? if so does that mean you have to put a stud guard on as he really picks his front feet up

ReputationRep:
    He does have shoes on, yeah. He generally doesn't jump like that but he was terrified of the jump (it's supposed to be a haggis) and he jumped it like it was going to eat him!

ReputationRep:
    fair enough. does look a clean jump though

ReputationRep:
    He's so adorable! I'm so partial to big horses (which doesn't bode well for me, as I'm 5'1"!)... that jump is so funny looking, I don't blame him for being terrified... really lovely horse

ReputationRep:
    I'm really irritated so I'm sorry but this is going to be a rant. I'm not sure if any of you remember me saying about Rosie being freaked out in her stable and that it was probs the fire which was right outside the stable.

Well she was being funny to go in again yesterday so I asked this bloke who helps out down there if she was funny to go in on the occasions that they do her for me. Then, in a roundabout sort of way, he said that all the horses that have ever been in that stable have freaked out in there and have always been funny about it! So it's really irritated me that they have not tried to do something about it and that they have never told us about that.

Obviously I understand that when you are trying to attract someone to your livery yard, you are not going to point out all the bad points but surely you aren't going to want to allow a horse/pony to go into a stable which has scared other horses.

It really amazes me how some people say that they are animal/horse lovers yet they are not worried about distressing someone elses animal. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    That is very odd! They really should try and solve why the horses don't like it in there and maybe consider changing the use of that stable if there is anything else it can be used for. Completely see why you are so mad. I really don't understand why animal/horse lovers aren't worried about other people's distressed animals

ReputationRep:
    It irritates me even more that its not even cheap and that they have to stay in at night all thorugh the summer when usually she would live out. V. frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    why do they have to stay in at night? :confused: Thats really bad that you have to have her in as most horses hate being in at night. Horses that are badly affected by flies are sometimes in during he day and put out at night. Or if they are prone to laminitus they may be in during the day when the grass is richest and out during the night. How would your livery yard cope then?!

ReputationRep:
    hi, just discovered this thread, i ride but i dont have time for my own with being at uni most of the year, but i cant wait till im qualified so i can have my own!

ReputationRep:
    what course are you doing? I'm going to uni in september and my mum's gonna look after my two while i'm away and i'm hoping to get back home as often as possible. What sort of horse do you think you'll get once you're qualified?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.