Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    Ugh, concussion isn't fun.... altough the actual bang hurts, like you say it's the feelings after which make it so rubbish.... 1st time I got concussion I was oly about 13/14 something like that. My younger brother had a load of his mates over and we all started playfighting in the living room as you do, and in the process of attempting to body slam one of his mates, i managed to engage my head with a very large, very heavy coffe table... felt quite poorly and for the rest of the day lay sprawled out in the bathroom because I felt so sick. Second time, I managed to spear talk someone playing rugby, hurt my neck in the process too but continued to play... was fine until the adrenalin wore off on the bus ride home... I did't move for days and ended up in hospital, but that was more because of the pain in my neck. Either way, it was quite unpleasent!! You certainly have my sympathies!! :hugs:

Its a difficult situation working with a horse that knows it's bigger and stronger than you and takes full advantage of the fact... we are often faced with the dilema of balancing our own safety with perciverance... 'how tough do you get with said horse?' and a what point, is it not worth the risk?

Anyway, cuddles rock and makes it feel all worthwhile, glad you are ok

Ouch! Your second concussion sounds pretty bad!

Yeah, but there's something else though. It's not just that she knows that she's bigger and stronger, but also that she doesn't give a **** about people. It's almost like she thinks they are inferior to her. Even leading her she'll look away from you to look for other horses to fight with and in doing so she constantly steps on you. Try telling her off and she lunge at you. She has major dominance issues.

I would call myself experienced as J had a lot of this behaviour when he arrived and now he's a lovely riding horse. However, for him it was out of fear and a lack of understanding. Once I taught him how to understand what was going on, and I did a lot of ground work, schooling and natural horsemanship with him he was an angel.

CobBlob will do the perfect dressage test. Sometimes she takes my breath away with what she is capable of, but she has these issues. Shes come from a lovely home, so she was never mistreated.

I think it's gotten to the point where she is far too dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    RAWR :mad: :mad: :mad:

I hate her so much. Just found out last week she attacked two girls who walked into her field to get their horses out. She's seen these girls everyday.

I went to feed her a minute ago and brought her in and she was fine. Turned the corner to get something and she brought my stable door and wall down but throwing herself through it. What kind of horse does that?!
    A dangerous one!! Heck!

How come these girls didn't tell you straight away what she had done?

When is Cob Blob going back?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    A dangerous one!! Heck!

How come these girls didn't tell you straight away what she had done?

When is Cob Blob going back?
    I think she's in season which would account for the change in behaviour but she's downright scary.

No idea why no one told me. It was my old yard where no one told me anything. :rolleyes:

asap hopefully. I'm emailing her old owner now and will get a reply tonight. J will just be on his own for a bit and have the horses next door to look at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Ouch! Your second concussion sounds pretty bad!
    Lol, yeah wasn't much fun... especially as I had to sleep on the floor because of my neck/back which i did NOT enjoy :mad: Hey ho, we do these things don't we:rolleyes:

Yeah, but there's something else though. It's not just that she knows that she's bigger and stronger, but also that she doesn't give a **** about people. It's almost like she thinks they are inferior to her. Even leading her she'll look away from you to look for other horses to fight with and in doing so she constantly steps on you. Try telling her off and she lunge at you. She has major dominance issues.

I would call myself experienced as J had a lot of this behaviour when he arrived and now he's a lovely riding horse. However, for him it was out of fear and a lack of understanding. Once I taught him how to understand what was going on, and I did a lot of ground work, schooling and natural horsemanship with him he was an angel.

CobBlob will do the perfect dressage test. Sometimes she takes my breath away with what she is capable of, but she has these issues. Shes come from a lovely home, so she was never mistreated.

I think it's gotten to the point where she is far too dangerous.
    Argh, gosh I feel for you BH.... must be very frustrating too because you know you are capable and you know your experianced but there are some horses that are just a bit tapped in the head (like people really). Arrogance in a horse can be great in performance, but not on the ground.... fighting with other horses?? Sheesh! We had a TB racehorse, who we had had since 6mths but when he grew up, he grew up to a whopping 17hh and had this great little habbit where if you hit him on the shoulder for being a little beggar, he strike out at you with his front leg... that's a big horse to hi-five with! We had to walk him (and his sister before we put her into foal) out in a Chiffany (and lung line)... tbh, it did the trick because we could keep control when the little (or should I say big?) sod decided to practice his racing with you attahed to lead rope! Maybe being able to give cob blob a bit of a short sharp shock will remind her who is boss?

Like you say, at least with J, you knew what was causing the problem so you could fix them - bad experiances instead of major attitude problem!!

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound a really stupid question but it is something no one had ever told me for sure...
    When showing, does it matter which side the mane lays on? If so which side should it lay on?

Is there a particular reason why people have preferences as i know that some professionals get really annoyed when the mane is on the "wrong" side

ReputationRep:
    Traditionally in english style riding, the mane goes on the right. I got really annoyed (silly, I know) when I came back from uni and my barn manager (who barrel races) had tamed Liam's mane to the wrong side.

ReputationRep:
    thank you for confirming... by what you just said, does that mean western riders prefer it on the left?
    it is just a really confusing thing :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think western horses' manes are tamed to the left. Probably because they're not braided or something *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    life just gets confusing!! Oh well, at least i know now. Why they can't just sit on the side they want sit on i really don't know. thank you. will probably rep you tomo
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    My horses have their manes to the left, as that's the way it naturally falls. I didn't realise it had to be on a certain side. From a senior M&M judge:

"Personally I don't take a blind bit of notice which side the mane falls providing it is neat and tidy, if I have one to produce which has the mane the "wrong" side I leave it, as it is a devilish job to get it to go over and it never ever looks as good."

ReputationRep:
    Harry's naturally fall to the left most of the time but it does occasionally flip over in places. I think that quote is brilliant. I brushed harry's over to the "correct" side this morning just to see what it would look like. It didn't look that bad but you could see that it naturally lies left as there were slightly fluffy bits that would normally be covered up.

I still don't see where the whole mane thing came from. I know that we mount from the left because cavalry men used to have swords on the left of their belt so they couldn't physically mount from the right. I just don't see where the mane convention could come from

ReputationRep:
    yea should be the right side. Rosies mane goes all over the place but if i'm plaiting up I will bring it over to the right side.

ReputationRep:
    left harry's mane plaited on the right side (have to plait it when i ride as it gets tangled in the reins) over night after riding yesterday. Rain overnight brought the horses inside this morning and took out the plait and his mane stayed quite happily on the right side. left it and when i went out later some was on the left, some the right so flipped it all back to the left where it naturally lies. Harry shakes and it all flips back to the right. It seems to lay where i put it. so when i last saw him this evening his mane was on the right and it was raining which seems to make it stay put. So without particularly trying very hard his mane is lying on the right at the moment. Don't know how long (or if) it will stay like that. I like experimenting when its not going to do any harm.
    I have heard that if you plait everytime you go to a show then it can be good for the mane to lye left naturally as when you pull it over to the right and plait up it makes the plaits stand up on top of the crest better hence showing the horses neck off better. This may only apply to showing and dressage i don't know but it kind of makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh brilliant tip! Hmm... maybe I should re-train Liam's mane. Ugh but I'm too lazy...

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    thats v. true!

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd check how everyone's results went if they were expecting them...?? I will be studying Geography at KCL!!! WOO!!!! Hope everyone else is good

(Well that came across like I'm a right r*tard!!)

ReputationRep:
    Well done loser88. I got 2 Bs at Advanced higher. (Maths and Physics) In scotland so found out results last week.
    Didn't need the results as i was already into uni but am delighted with the results. Am going to study maths and physics at uni for the first two years then may decide to change to one or the other.

Am going to be staying about 10mins from the uni otherwise known as 50miles away from home so will onely be able to get home to the horses at weekends and hols but my mum will look afer them. just hope harry doesn't take advantage of her too much!

Rode harry tonight but had to give up cos we couldn't see properly. I took a photo using my camera on my phone...

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=coss]Well done loser88. I got 2 Bs at Advanced higher. (Maths and Physics) In scotland so found out results last week.
    Didn't need the results as i was already into uni but am delighted with the results. Am going to study maths and physics at uni for the first two years then may decide to change to one or the other.

Am going to be staying about 10mins from the uni otherwise known as 50miles away from home so will onely be able to get home to the horses at weekends and hols but my mum will look afer them. just hope harry doesn't take advantage of her too much!

Well done!! I got an A in Geography a B in English and a C (nearly a B!!) in History....but then again I am TRAGIC at History!! So I'm REALLY pleased
    That's one thing that I don't have to worry about as I don't have a horse at the moment......I'm sure he'll adjust...as will your Mum! Great pic- what time was that?!

ReputationRep:
    9.45pm About a month ago i was riding in broad daylight at 10.15 and sometimes later. Unfortunately the camera makes it look darker than it actually was but i think that is to do with the fact that my eyes were accustomed to the dimming light. I had the flash on. My mum is used to harry and vice versa but he knows he can get away with stuff with her. He used to bite be (not vicious just playful) but i told him off just as it happened. With my mum, its goes like this:
    Harry: *nip*
    Mum: "ow, he just bit me"
    Harry: *eat hay*
    Mum: "don't bite me, naughty harry"

So the delay means he thinks he's not allowed to eat hay if she's standing there and he gets confused. i've told my mum thats what happens and harry is lots better now so fingers crossed she'll cope. As i say, i'll be home as often as poss so will hopefully be able to moniter the situation and prevent it getting worse

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.