Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I was interested in this boy, but I just missed out on him.

I'm looking for a sane sensible horse that can go out and hack quietly, but also do some local shows. The above is a young ex racer who failed racing due to being a bit of a plod. I've got the trainer keeping an eye out for me though. I wasn't going to look at a another TB, but I really do find them the most sensible of horses.

ReputationRep:
    hey he's nice! It's good having someone looking out who you trust... another opinion is always a value! He's a big fella isn't he? Wzz still keen on riding?

Yeah we've had a few TBs... the racehorses have been nuts though, always a 2 man job!! Had a couple of near misses in the field an stable inc feet flying inches away from head and our brood mare (who is our resident cow bag... calmer now she's a mum) gave my bro a hernia!

Think for me, next I'll be looking for warmblood or Irish x TB sport horse jobbie... few years to go yet though I reckon.. hey ho! Sadly quite set on new car (which is stupidly fast and will cost a fortune in everything!) and *ugh* getting on property ladder :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    He is rather big. 17.2hh. Wzz is still keen on riding and has been fussing over J lots so I'm trying to sideline my burning desire to snatch up a competition horse for myself and find him a sane and quite hack so we can enjoy hacking together. Which I'm really looking forward to.

I find the ex racers a bit sharp at comps when you need them to be, but out hacking they are perfect. So used to everything from racing and if they do spook they aren't likely to bolt with you. I can do anything with J and although he's a doddle to ride he's a horse you have to ride properly or he will just literally plant his feet and get sarky. Wzz has finess when riding, so he could ride J if J wasn't such a fine type. (Whereas my sister is a pony club type and was flapping away on J so he had a paddy and refused to move while looking at me with a sour look! )

I'd love a chunkier type. An ISH sounds lovely, but I quite like continental warmbloods. I seem to be getting drawn into dressage! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    He is rather big. 17.2hh. Wzz is still keen on riding and has been fussing over J lots so I'm trying to sideline my burning desire to snatch up a competition horse for myself and find him a sane and quite hack so we can enjoy hacking together. Which I'm really looking forward to.

I find the ex racers a bit sharp at comps when you need them to be, but out hacking they are perfect. So used to everything from racing and if they do spook they aren't likely to bolt with you. I can do anything with J and although he's a doddle to ride he's a horse you have to ride properly or he will just literally plant his feet and get sarky. Wzz has finess when riding, so he could ride J if J wasn't such a fine type. (Whereas my sister is a pony club type and was flapping away on J so he had a paddy and refused to move while looking at me with a sour look! )

I'd love a chunkier type. An ISH sounds lovely, but I quite like continental warmbloods. I seem to be getting drawn into dressage! :p:
    Yeah that will be really nice to hack out together... always a bit more encouraging when it's chucking it down too He must have a fair bit of savvy horse wise if he's doing ok with J. Lol! Yup have noticed that ex racers aren't so keen on any flapping... we have one (have had him 12 yrs!!) who is an ace allrounder but will use any excuse to throw little wobblers... will just stop, sort of hop up and down and squeak (which is where he got his nickname from... and he's called pip lol!)... never dangerous just funny and a bit infuriating when he refuses to move for about 10 mins then only walks backwards. Then he's fine :rolleyes: Brilliant - J giving you a sour look "mum!! what the hell you playing at??!!"

Last horse I had i guess (shared one for a wee bit), was a belgian i think... great huge fella but really liked his build and conformation... tend to lean that way so makes sense to get my own WB or ISH next. Dressage eh?! You reckon J will fill competition boots? SJ still for me reckon Wzz might have a crack at competing too? If not, could always enlist him as your groom

ReputationRep:
    I want an ISH x TB. We have a couple at our stables and all that I've seen are beautiful!
    Very unsuccesfully looking for one to loan when Im at uni but made more difficult by the fact that I can't take a car
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    You could always bum around in the mess for a couple of years before getting on the property ladder. :p:

I think if someone is experienced enough to ride an ex racer then they are fantastic. Each one has always taught me something about riding and I am quite light with my aids now as J relies on voice commands alot. My last one taught me to ride a lighter more upright seat and to always be on my toes! Your ex racer sounds like he and J are very alike! J tends to get worse if you try to push him through a strop but he never acts malicious. It's like a kid having a tantrum.

Don't know if I will compete J, his scars are quite unslightly at the minute from his run in with the fence at my old yard. He's sound as a pound jumping and never refuses so who knows!

Wzz hasn't ridden for awhile now but he doesn't seem to have any fear at all. CB bolted with him and the next day he got on my friends show jumper and had a potter around despite never riding him before. He just seems to soak up information and then be able to just do it. CB did take the piss a bit with him though so I reckon he'll do quite well with a more responsive horse.

He's interested in dressage too and wants to get into competing, so we'll see! Could be a local dressage duo in the making.

If you got another horse would you splash out on a ready made one or bring on a youngster?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Totally random, but I'm at work and took a call for a booking and ended up chatting horses with the woman for 20 minutes! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Some of my friends are gradually getting drawn into dressage, its really strange!
    Has anyone had any problems with dutch warmbloods, i know a few people that have major canter problems and their horses are dutch warmbloods, wondered if there was any connection.

ReputationRep:
    The two at our stables (from the VDL stud :O) are gorgeous. Both lookers, sweet and affection and competing dressage.
    Only problem with one of them (chunky 17.2hh) is that he can't turn particularly fast but as I far as i know thats it.
    Cool video of him playing with my friend Casey on my youtube (SilensFatuus), I would post a link but I'm at work :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    Some of my friends are gradually getting drawn into dressage, its really strange!
    Has anyone had any problems with dutch warmbloods, i know a few people that have major canter problems and their horses are dutch warmbloods, wondered if there was any connection.
    well they can be pretty forward going and keen to jump sometimes.
    My lad eventually thinks the markers are something to have a go at jumping, ruining any good dressage canter. He has always been a jumping horse since 2, so perhaps u cannot blame him at 17

Don't quote me on this, but they make fab show jumpers provided u can shorten and lengthen their stride, dressage often goes over the head of warm bloods I have met. Sure some dressage expert can name successful warmbloods though

ReputationRep:
    You could always bum around in the mess for a couple of years before getting on the property ladder. :p:

I think if someone is experienced enough to ride an ex racer then they are fantastic. Each one has always taught me something about riding and I am quite light with my aids now as J relies on voice commands alot. My last one taught me to ride a lighter more upright seat and to always be on my toes! Your ex racer sounds like he and J are very alike! J tends to get worse if you try to push him through a strop but he never acts malicious. It's like a kid having a tantrum.

Don't know if I will compete J, his scars are quite unslightly at the minute from his run in with the fence at my old yard. He's sound as a pound jumping and never refuses so who knows!

Wzz hasn't ridden for awhile now but he doesn't seem to have any fear at all. CB bolted with him and the next day he got on my friends show jumper and had a potter around despite never riding him before. He just seems to soak up information and then be able to just do it. CB did take the piss a bit with him though so I reckon he'll do quite well with a more responsive horse.

He's interested in dressage too and wants to get into competing, so we'll see! Could be a local dressage duo in the making.

If you got another horse would you splash out on a ready made one or bring on a youngster?
    I have every intention of bumming around in the mess for next few years... shall buy house and let it out close to where my folks live so they can keep an eye on it (they do it too).. will also get father off my back about me buying stupid (but just so gorgeous) car lol!

Yeah definatly get a gold star from me if you can not just handle but ride an ex racer... the tricky horses are certainly the ones you learn from... generally because that means you don't run risk of death when you get on . Seriously though, i prefer a horse i have to 'ride' and work on then something that just takes me for a ride??!!! Wzz sounds like he's a bit of a rider in the making - certainly looking out for local dressage duo!!! Must be fairly gutsy too, after being bolted with! Go wzz!

Hmm, when I get another horse I will prob go for something in between (just to be difficult) for 2 reasons a) as it will have been a fair while since last owning my own, think having something which nows the basics will be good for my confidence and b) liklihood is i will be impatient to compete and won't want to wait a year + to do so ( i know that's terrible, but thats what i love about ridingi - working towards something). Don't mind it not having much exp and needing work, but don't want to take something totally green about EVERYTHING if you know what I mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraWalker)
    well they can be pretty forward going and keen to jump sometimes.
    My lad eventually thinks the markers are something to have a go at jumping, ruining any good dressage canter. He has always been a jumping horse since 2, so perhaps u cannot blame him at 17

Don't quote me on this, but they make fab show jumpers provided u can shorten and lengthen their stride, dressage often goes over the head of warm bloods I have met. Sure some dressage expert can name successful warmbloods though
    As far as I was aware, so many WBs make good SJ is because for their first 4 years or so, they are soley schooled, but to a high level INC dressage comps... what makes the difference as so many peeps neglect dressage when it comes to SJ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, our WBs can turn a hoof to SJ, although like I said before Contino struggles with the tight turns sometimes, hes got the scope though bless him!

ReputationRep:

I thought most dressage horses were WBs :confused:

ReputationRep:
    calling something a Warmblood is a safe bet whebn trying to say the breeding of a horse. there are so many different types of warmblood. I am only familiar with dutch warmbloods and a bovarian warmblood but warmblood is just a category. You get cold bloods and hot bloods too. Cold being highlandy type, hot being the araby type. (there are also other breeds that fall into those two categories they are just examples). Most dressage horses are warmbloods as they are not hot or cold bloods if that makes any sense at all. My friend has an hanovarian cross arab (1/4) cross something else that i can't think of at the moment but a trainee instructor was asked to describe the breeding and she said, warmblood. She is correct but does that show my point? Apologies if i have just confused people more or if any of that is wrong

ReputationRep:
    TB's all the way im afraid and dressage yuk... shivers down my spine its all so... correct and no galloping BH that horse looks quite nice the one you sadly missed out on. Must be something to do with the pilot thing and wzz being fearless on horses!

Biscuit got called a fat unfit little pony at the weekend so she's on a fitness drive, along with myself! (i disagree with the unfit bit but she may be on the haevier side) its amazing how some ponies can survive on thin air and being exercised 6 times per week!

Sure some dressage expert can name successful warmbloods though
    The vast majority of dressage horses are warmbloods; just looking at the results from the 1st day at Aachen, of the horses competing, 12 were Hanoverians, 4 were KWPN, and there were also Trakehners, Czech WBs, DWBs, SWBs, Westphalians etc, as well as a healthy number of Iberians.

AFAIK the British team at WEG are all riding warmbloods.

ReputationRep:
    So what is with the branding... I was under the impression that 'offical' WBs were branded by the stud that bred them :confused: ???

Vic... Biscuit - fat, unfit little pony :eek: that's just mean!!!! Poor biscuit :p:

ReputationRep:
    Dunno about warmbloods in general but the dutch warmbloods make fine little jumpers. Yes even some of these top trainers neglect dressage early on, dam them cos it causes people problems later

They reckon the success of Milton came from a tendon injury before he went to John. He struck some clippers and had ages off jumping. They had to then bring him on slowly and he was a little fatty stable rested horse when he arrived at Whitakers. I think it is good when people bring on horses a little slower sometimes. Its all money really, they can put top jumpers together get them jumping and winning y4 classes and sell um for a fortune, so detailed dressage does nt bother them

ReputationRep:
    Sorry- ok another question. My horse is quite good, although he is getting on now- had him since I was 15. He has won 1m 40s classes in his time all sorts. The only problem is that he stumbles. Out of no where he will trip over, even in his field. He passed his vets best flying colours all those years ago. It scares the s*it out of me. I always think oh no what if he falls. When I was 16 he did it before a fence, jumped in got in a knot and fell over on top of me. We were both ok. There is nothing much wrong with him, he just seems to love to trip. Any ideas? Experiences?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.