Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well some just stop, so they get sold.... no doubt after they have been *ahem* encouraged to jump again :mad:

I think the majority of riders, don't resorte to such disgraceful methods, but once again, it is the majority that give the sport a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    think you mean minority give sport a bad name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    Its a shame that such tactics are taking hold in small competitions too now!!

Unfortunately, it's not uncommon the higher up you go... i used to hear all sorts of stories of people, who people would think were their frinds would give their horses drugged polos/chocolate etc just before they went into the class - poor horse would be able to pick their legs up properly and crash through about 4!

What really used to make my skin crawl was what people used to do to make sure the horses jumped bigger/cleaner.... fishing wire 6 inchs above the fence so the horse hit it, fell and then jumped bigger next time round.... horses being left in ovenight stabling with boots that gave off electric shock every couple minutes so horse came out next morning walking like mr soft.... grocers grass/plastic chippings put on inside of boots so if horse hit fence would hurt like hell.... rapping - as horse jumped, bod on ground would lift pole to hit horses legs... all sorts, used to make me sick :mad:

Pony club parents btw are nuts... I used to do mounted games and the mothers would fight all the time - scream at each and make each other cry, was crazy... and all over who got selected/what races child was in/child place in race order.... was rediculous and part the reason i stopped - think me and my family just found it all a bit draining, which was a real shame

I've heard of some of them, but FISHING WIRE- JESUS CHRIST! :mad:

That's why I quit PC too- I wasn't allowed to ride my usual horse (even though I was in the top 'group') because she was 'too good' (i.e. she jumped with me because I knew her inside out, but not with others), so I was put on a cob every time who never jumped and actually was't used to it and so couldn't- meaning I spent the whole time being eliminated, which for £30 for a warm up and jumping round was no good and no fun- that was the fault of PC parents and an easily swayed PC coordinator....B*TCH!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    i never did pony club as my parents a) couldn't really afford it, b) were city people turned country so didn't know enough and finally c) because they had seen how mad pony club parents became and didn't want to be one of those.
    There are advantages and disadvantages of being/not being in the pony club

ReputationRep:
    I was put down from the top group beacuse my cob coloured type, who could jump 3 ft 3 courses so was well up there didnt match with the parents images of bay and thoroughbred eventers and they wanted their little dears who were obviously going to win Badminton needed the experience of being in the top group. The camp was v funny as a couple of girls in the top ride had brought youngsters thus ruining the badminton prep and as second top i was with a much nicer bunch of people and we eneded up doing lots of fun stuff.

advantage definately access to xc courses etc and different instruction.
    am goign to try and pic of new pony up... fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    Loser 88 they stopped you taking your good horse! that terrible!

ReputationRep:

help any IT minded people, why do i keep getting an x picture as above? its from bebo and ive followed coss's instruction like last time? any suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StaVix)
    think you mean minority give sport a bad name
    Ooops!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Slight slip there...yes definately MINORITY!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LouE3D)
    Ooops!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: Slight slip there...yes definately MINORITY!!! :rolleyes:
    lol must be the thought of all those irons making you a bit dolally

ReputationRep:

help any IT minded people, why do i keep getting an x picture as above? its from bebo and ive followed coss's instruction like last time? any suggestions?
    Just had a look at the properties, and it looks normal... hmmm, i would try linking it again, it has a ? in the url which suggests that there is something wrong. Have another go but i really don't know why its done that

ReputationRep:
    Not been much action on here for a few days...Just letting you all know that I'm moving out tomorrow and won't be online for a while, but I'll be back ASAP, good luck anyone else who's off to Uni/a new stage in life....(CHEESE!!!! :rolleyes: :p: )

ReputationRep:
    good luck with uni, its soo much fun i loved it!!! lots of like minded people. Biscuit went today cherola is so sad trotting round her field neighing

ReputationRep:
    Thank you I'm actually really nervous and haven't really got a clue what's going on :confused: as well as starting a new job at the same time!!!! ARGH!!!! I'm sure I'll be fine though....*fingers crossed*

ReputationRep:
    good luck with uni, its soo much fun i loved it!!! lots of like minded people. Biscuit went today cherola is so sad trotting round her field neighing
    oh no!! Ah poor cherola and poor you... bet you are missing her? Me and my bro bought in the baby racers today... always a mildly unsettling experiance

First was mum and mini baby... fine and till we got to the stable and mum became mesmorised by a sheep and refused to enter her box... wee bit of patience and foaly dissapering into stable soon encouraged her :p:

Then the yearling and the two year old... little bit flighty at the best of times so chiffeny's on - messing is just dangerous! So we are walking down from the field to the stable and i'm just plodding with my pony singing to him as i do and my bro is like "come on dooley" and I'm all like "hey don't do that - you want me to do something, talk to me, not the horse" and he goes "well you're leading him like an old hack" at which point I opted out of argument because if he didn't get why I was being v laid back then that's his problem, not going to have an argument while leading loopy youngsters when grass blowing in the breeze can make them act like zebbardy lol!

Oh well, guess we all have our ways, but for me - if I'm chilled out and not bothered, then horsey tends to be chilled out and not bothered...

ReputationRep:
    i like the emphasis on the tends! if only that was always the way!

ReputationRep:
    Would be good wouldn't it :p: Well farrier apparently had an uneventful trip too, which is good... apparently the first thing he asked was if he was going to have to trim our little ponies feet... bro replied no... farrier replied "Oh that's all right then"

Apparently, Santa (aptly named as animal resucue shelter found him wandering down a main road on xmas day... was only 3 yrs old ) is a little beggar.... 12.2hh welshie, chesnut and a little tyke! He's a real fidget bum to the point that my brother (who is nearly 6 ft ) has to help hold pony still... last time, santa decided he didn't want to play anymore so just chucked himself on the floor and started rolling :eek: Wasn't stressed out or owt, just impatient and has v short attention span bless him.

Drives my bro nuts, but he's my little scamp coz he's great for cuddles :p:

ReputationRep:
    Ack little ponies are hilarious!
    Just got this in an e-mail, made me giggle a fair bit! As its quite true...I also added number 36.

1. He won't come into my hands!

2. There's nothing like having 17 hands between your legs.

3. I'm gonna get off now.

4. More leg, less hand...

5. It was a great ride, but hes kinda sticky.

6. He needs a good 20 min warm-up...

7. Relax your back, dont pinch with your knees, go with the motion, rock your pelvis...

8. When he gets excited he really foams up!

9. If he's not ridden 5 days a week he gets cranky...

10. I rode yesterday, but Gwen is gonna ride him today.

11. Go ahead, ride him, you'll like him...he'll be good for you!

12. Push!!! Squeeze!!! Pull hard!!!

13. He's being a pig, get his head up!

14. He bends to left, but he's really stiff to the right.

15. He really over reacts when I sit down into him...

16. Smack him if he refuses!

17. Good, thats looks much better with his head down.

18. When your getting ready for a jump, press your knuckles firmly into his neck, to push yourself off.

19. You want his hindquarters to be balanced and even with yours.

20. If you squeeze with your thighs and legs he'll get off earlier.

21. You two perform really well with each other!

22. Go hack him for a few minutes.

23. Turn him out for a while.

24. I rode him bareback.

25. He's/She's been around.

26. My trainer's gunna do him in the PreGreens and Lows.

27. He's too much for her, maybe you should get on.

28. He's a bit of a bumpy ride, just try not to grip with ur thighs too much.

29.Make sure you release.

30. Don't lean forward unless you want him to go faster.

31. Don't pump too much.

32. Squeeze and release... squeeze and release...give and take

33. "How was he today?" reply... "Excellent, very obedient for once."

34. I got my daughter a made one, he's super easy.

35. I just love riding the big ones!!!

36. Can someone hand me a whip, hes just not learning.

These are things that probably only horseback riders will understand... and its hilarious to see what other non-horseback riding people have to think about them.

ReputationRep:
    How not to alter your boot- mum snapped it

ReputationRep:
    why not?

ReputationRep:
    he he, well he stood still, bless

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.