Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! New to this thread.
    Bit about me-I ride racehorses, mainly for Lucinda Russell.Also work as a riding instructor during the holidays while I'm not at Uni. Planning on a career that involves horses but I somehow think that's unlikely. If anyone wants any advice on any discipline I'd be happy to help out...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm now this is going to sound odd but Dream are you dream off SU and if so I never knew you rode hunters ??

Ahh Laura, thats so sad when they die so young, it just doesn't seem right. We went through a cancer scare with the stallion late last year which was terrifying to be honest but he's fine now. Its hard losing any horse but especially when they are so young.

Hey Lekha85, sounds like you've got a pretty good job. We have racehorses although none in training right now. Our mare is down at Newmarket at the stud having just had her second colt by Zaha, she's going to Mark of Esteem this spring so fingers crossed for a good match next spring. Hopefully the yearling is headed to James Given's this autumn. We also train with Mark Johnston up at Middleham but it depends on the horse who goes where (if that makes sense!)

ReputationRep:
    Yes Anna - will PM you actually.

ReputationRep:
    I got back on yesterday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First time in SIX YEARS!!!!

What the hell was I thinking staying away this long??!!!!!
    It was the best afternoon Iv had in, ooh, six years!!

ReputationRep:
    oh fantastic Ellewoods!!! Congraultions!!! Major achievement just to get back on board. Well done!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_tucker)
    oh fantastic Ellewoods!!! Congraultions!!! Major achievement just to get back on board. Well done!!
    Thankyou Im still smiling like an idiot :rolleyes:

My old pony was 14.2hh, and as I mentioned before I was nervous about getting straight onto 17.2hh which is the horse Im looking after now, so I compromised and borrowed a friends' who is 16.1hh. I was quite surprised, he didnt feel much bigger than I was used to, but maybe Iv just forgotton after all this time!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ooh while I remember, can anyone recommend a good website for good value equipment? I need the full caboodle, jods, hat, some muckers, some wellies - Iv been mucking out in jeans and last seasons Ugg boots :rolleyes: - so need to get myself kitted out at a fairly reasonable price - I cant afford to spend too much, and I'll only be riding twice a week maybe until summer when uni is done, so just need decent basics
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Nice pictures everyone

I'm just back from work and off to ride, then back to work at 4pm. Where on earth do we all find the time to look after our beasties?? I'd post a picture of mine, but I'm afraid he's still suffering a bit and is a bit on the skinny side. Before and after pictures to come at some point though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I'm just back from work and off to ride, then back to work at 4pm. Where on earth do we all find the time to look after our beasties??
    I know exactly what you mean!!

However, since I started looking after my friends' horse about six weeks ago, I am so much more motivated and organised at uni ... I think its because I know that if I don't have my work done, then I can't possibly justify spending hours up at the stables, especially as its' my final year. :rolleyes:

I was up and mucking out at 7am today, everything done and home by 8am, and pre-horse I wouldn't have even got out of bed til 8.30am, so I suppose we just adapt!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. I posted pictures on the fanatics forum. didn't no u'd moved Does any1 no how to like the society wiv this thread?^o)

ReputationRep:
    Does any1 have snow at the mo. We ahve lots. Its so fun to ride in cos u can see where u've been - unfortunately this shows how inaccurate my circles are sometimes but it also showed some good 1's

ReputationRep:
    Lol, we never ride in the snow or frost as it tends to ball up in our lots feet which makes things too slippery lol. Must be our surface.

Blackhawk and ellewoods, just wait until you don't have them for a while...seriously I get so bored and wonder what I did pre-horse and what everyone else does instead of doing the horses!!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to either Oxford or Camb next year, I just don't know what I am going to do with my horse. I cannot afford to really take him.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    We've had snow today, but I don't ride it it for a couple of reasons. The first is that I don't have studs on my shoes so snow tends to ball up in their shoes and second that I think the TBs would faint if I took their rugs off!

ReputationRep:
    Ahh Black hawk you need some hardy dales...the 'poor' beasts are out there in their woolly coats and nothing more. They are still v.warm I hasten to add.

Laura have you considered putting him out on loan? Or even part share at Oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    We've had snow today, but I don't ride it it for a couple of reasons. The first is that I don't have studs on my shoes so snow tends to ball up in their shoes and second that I think the TBs would faint if I took their rugs off!
    I put vaseline or cornucresine on the soles of there feet to prevent balling up (my horses aren't shod so that prob makes a difference as well tho).

I bought an exercise rug for my horses so that it is not such a shock to the system. After working in the snow for a while yesterday my horse was on the verge of sweating cos she was so hot!!

I''ll insert the fotos i took while riding l8r.

ReputationRep:
    I am at a really nice yard now. Perhaps on loan on the condition he stays there. He is a lovely horse so I doubt I'd have too many problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraWalker)
    I am at a really nice yard now. Perhaps on loan on the condition he stays there. He is a lovely horse so I doubt I'd have too many problems
    I'm thinking of loaning next year when I move back to Sheffield for my LPC. I really haven't looked into it yet though, and my other half is pining for a mortgage so we'll have to see... :rolleyes:

anna_tucker I know what you mean ... I cant believe I ever let the horses go, I look back to the past few years and I just think, all that time I could have been riding!! Its great to be back Another lady at the stables has offered me her smaller one (the 16.1hh I rode the other day) to borrow anytime, so will be able to ride out with my friend whose horse I look after (still with me?!) which will be great

Yes we have snow!! Iv just invested in a pair of pink wellies with blue and dark pink spots - excellent. The horses love them, I could just sense their approve as we trudged through the snow and mud when turning out yesterday!!!!!!!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    oh well with your training contract u can soon become a rich lawyer and buy one !!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Had such a great riding lesson yesterday! For the past 3 years or so I have had a major fear of jumping, at its worse I would cry and shake when a cross pole just off the ground was put up. Yesterday I did a 2ft 9 grid with a bounce onto 1 stride! I was so happy just grinning all day. The pony I was riding was a 14.2hh bay roan mare who is definately very marish! She bucks a lot and can be very nappy but I've been riding her for so long now have figured her out and can get her going very nicely!
    Just after I jumped her throught the grid a couple of times, another girl in my lesson got on her and she was such a horror! So proud that I can ride the little bugger!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.