Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    God it was *DISMAL*. Had a lovely big grey called Huggy- near 17hh, and the last time I rode him very forward going and a big jump. Got him out of his box today and he didn't walk alongside me but I literally had to drag him to the block...Was thinking uh oh....Was nappy as I asked him to walk away from the fence whilst I did girth/stirrups....again...uh oh.... Got into the menage after realy having to *kick* to get him to walk on even when following my friend...I've not kicked a horse for many years- normally a nidge will do. Anyway- the long and short of it is that Huggy has been ruined. Dead to the leg, hard mouth, as good as given up the will to live. I had to use my stick (I hate doing this) and eventually got some canter (I could not believe this- hadn't happened since I was learning!!) Got a few enormous bucks at the stick which I got a bit excited about as I thought he might have woken up!! So first buck lost me one stirrup, then he jumped sideways and crushed my leg into the fence, then rebounded and jumped in the air and bucked- I lost my other stirrup- he touched down and I growled (again not for a long time) "GET ON" booted him and got literally 2 strides of decent canted until he just stopped got my stirrups back and carried on.

Now due to several falls (the horse falling too) and general disastrous occurences my confidence whilst jumping has been severely knocked (I'm fine with all aspects of riding, rearing, bucking, broncing, bolting, flightyness and mental behaviour- just not jumping....) So RI puts up a cross pole to warm up and jumped it from a painfully empulsion-lacking, nearly-going-backwards canter and flopped over it then ground to a halt straight after...then instructor put an upright up behind it and I said, quite honestly, (regardless of nerves), that I didn't think he'd get over it....So she just put one cross up again and was like I'm sure he'll wake up soon...:eek: So I get canter after 3 off on the wrong leg attempts and turn the corner- two strides out breaks to trot, and nearly FALLS OVER the smallest crosspole....I was like SH*T ME, WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE- really cross (quite understandable I think)...and said no- this is ridiculous I am having to hit this horse (on RIs demand) to get him to WALK, he does not want to do this- he does not want to be here and I do not want to spend an hour beating a horse who has been ruined through no fault of his own over a course of fences I don't honestly think he can jump anymore). I said I'm stopping, I'm going for a walk. So I went into the adjoining field and walked around- the horse literally did not want to put one leg in front of the other. Totally disinterested when most horses would at least perk up when surrounded by XC jumps..!!So I had a walk on the long rein and thena little trot- bit of a battle but for his and my sake I had to end on a good note and pointed him at a *TINY* log- literally 30cms...he stopped- would not even walk over it.... turned away and came in at a bit of a better trot (stick resorted to ) and he popped it quite well, little happier anyway- RI said jump the bigger log (she's continued teaching my friend who was doing very well on a horse who is *UNFORTUNATELY as she was blinding* gradually being ruined jumping 3'6'' courses very well...) I said he doens't want to and neither do I- only about 1ft!! SO I came into the little one again- reasonable trot (most important thing to me: ears forward) so let him bumble in and slither over the log and then took him in....

I don't know what to do- I'm really not full of myself but I used to be quite good- not an Olympic rider or anything but able to ride any horse over any fence confidently and well....4ft courses on a regular basis, XC, SJ etc. etc. the thing is I still love jumping and want to do it.....It all went wrong when the horse I rode every week for 6 years was retired...

I'm going to try a semiprivate with my friend one more time on a horse I used to ride a lot (17.2hh TB) and see if that helps, but a fast hack in Windsor Great Park in the meantime....

Any words of wisdom/encouragement/sympathy for me anyone?? I never cry and today I broke down in the lesson because I felt so SH*T about my confidence and hitting Huggy- I thought he was napping and RI said he needed to be woken up- but still

ARGH

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    Good luck!!!
    *cyber luck* flying towards you
    Thanks for the though

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Huggy.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  12.3 KB Huggy.

Name:  Kitty.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  12.6 KB Kitty- who I'll ride next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loser88)
    God it was *DISMAL*. Had a lovely big grey called Huggy- near 17hh, and the last time I rode him very forward going and a big jump. Got him out of his box today and he didn't walk alongside me but I literally had to drag him to the block...Was thinking uh oh....Was nappy as I asked him to walk away from the fence whilst I did girth/stirrups....again...uh oh.... Got into the menage after realy having to *kick* to get him to walk on even when following my friend...I've not kicked a horse for many years- normally a nidge will do. Anyway- the long and short of it is that Huggy has been ruined. Dead to the leg, hard mouth, as good as given up the will to live. I had to use my stick (I hate doing this) and eventually got some canter (I could not believe this- hadn't happened since I was learning!!) Got a few enormous bucks at the stick which I got a bit excited about as I thought he might have woken up!! So first buck lost me one stirrup, then he jumped sideways and crushed my leg into the fence, then rebounded and jumped in the air and bucked- I lost my other stirrup- he touched down and I growled (again not for a long time) "GET ON" booted him and got literally 2 strides of decent canted until he just stopped got my stirrups back and carried on.

Now due to several falls (the horse falling too) and general disastrous occurences my confidence whilst jumping has been severely knocked (I'm fine with all aspects of riding, rearing, bucking, broncing, bolting, flightyness and mental behaviour- just not jumping....) So RI puts up a cross pole to warm up and jumped it from a painfully empulsion-lacking, nearly-going-backwards canter and flopped over it then ground to a halt straight after...then instructor put an upright up behind it and I said, quite honestly, (regardless of nerves), that I didn't think he'd get over it....So she just put one cross up again and was like I'm sure he'll wake up soon...:eek: So I get canter after 3 off on the wrong leg attempts and turn the corner- two strides out breaks to trot, and nearly FALLS OVER the smallest crosspole....I was like SH*T ME, WHAT THE **** IS GOING ON HERE- really cross (quite understandable I think)...and said no- this is ridiculous I am having to hit this horse (on RIs demand) to get him to WALK, he does not want to do this- he does not want to be here and I do not want to spend an hour beating a horse who has been ruined through no fault of his own over a course of fences I don't honestly think he can jump anymore). I said I'm stopping, I'm going for a walk. So I went into the adjoining field and walked around- the horse literally did not want to put one leg in front of the other. Totally disinterested when most horses would at least perk up when surrounded by XC jumps..!!So I had a walk on the long rein and thena little trot- bit of a battle but for his and my sake I had to end on a good note and pointed him at a *TINY* log- literally 30cms...he stopped- would not even walk over it.... turned away and came in at a bit of a better trot (stick resorted to ) and he popped it quite well, little happier anyway- RI said jump the bigger log (she's continued teaching my friend who was doing very well on a horse who is *UNFORTUNATELY as she was blinding* gradually being ruined jumping 3'6'' courses very well...) I said he doens't want to and neither do I- only about 1ft!! SO I came into the little one again- reasonable trot (most important thing to me: ears forward) so let him bumble in and slither over the log and then took him in....

I don't know what to do- I'm really not full of myself but I used to be quite good- not an Olympic rider or anything but able to ride any horse over any fence confidently and well....4ft courses on a regular basis, XC, SJ etc. etc. the thing is I still love jumping and want to do it.....It all went wrong when the horse I rode every week for 6 years was retired...

I'm going to try a semiprivate with my friend one more time on a horse I used to ride a lot (17.2hh TB) and see if that helps, but a fast hack in Windsor Great Park in the meantime....

Any words of wisdom/encouragement/sympathy for me anyone?? I never cry and today I broke down in the lesson because I felt so SH*T about my confidence and hitting Huggy- I thought he was napping and RI said he needed to be woken up- but still

ARGH
    Poor huggy and poor you!!! so did huggy used to jump really big, bold and willing? that is such a shame it annoys me when people ruin a perfectly good horse :mad: Sounds like all the RI was interested in was getting you to jump bigger, just pleased you stuck to your guns, you should be proud that you got huggy happier to jump, he could probably do with a complete break from jumping with lots of hacking... hope your next lesson is better especially as you were really looking forward to it.

On a happier note (sort of) I see what you mean about Herbie's mum being annoying lots of people have told a person to drop the stirrups a few holes and she's turned round and told her to just drop the heel as the stirrups are long enough...the rider does need to drop the heel but in doing so the leg will lengthen and need a longer stirrup :rolleyes:

Again, hope next lesson goes well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    Poor huggy and poor you!!! so did huggy used to jump really big, bold and willing? that is such a shame it annoys me when people ruin a perfectly good horse :mad: Sounds like all the RI was interested in was getting you to jump bigger, just pleased you stuck to your guns, you should be proud that you got huggy happier to jump, he could probably do with a complete break from jumping with lots of hacking... hope your next lesson is better especially as you were really looking forward to it.

On a happier note (sort of) I see what you mean about Herbie's mum being annoying lots of people have told a person to drop the stirrups a few holes and she's turned round and told her to just drop the heel as the stirrups are long enough...the rider does need to drop the heel but in doing so the leg will lengthen and need a longer stirrup :rolleyes:

Again, hope next lesson goes well.
    The last time I rode him, I struggled to keep him from galloping...in a 70x30 arena- put one upright up about 3'6'' and flew down over it without a second glance... Then did a course at 3'3''-3''6'' in the same way- It's appalling that such a good horse has been ruined

She is a freak!! I must go and investigate this thread!! Hehehe!! She knows *NOTHING*.

Thank you for comforting reply!!

ReputationRep:
    it annoys me when riding schools ruin horses. The riding school i went to before change of ownership was really good, change of ownership and it went down hill. nearly all the horses have gadgets all over the place. i went with my school just so i could ride something different, was put on an older horse (obviously good when he was young but due to age, not quite supple for much anymore and has a can't be bothered but if i have to attitude). my school teacher had ridden him the day before and told me how wonderful he was. I tack him up and notice he's in a pelham, (brain thinks, must be very forward going then) get on without a stick as think we're going to be bopping and find he's really lazy. start to hack and get bored so asked for shoulder in/out etc (walk hacks are not that fun when waiting for beginners). turn round to go back to yard and the horse brightens up in a "we're going back this is exciting" so get better work from him. in the afternoon we were given a lesson and it was obvious the horse could work properly so i asked him to but there was no need for the pelham and he was completely bored and didn't really want to do anything Its so bad

My fingers are crossed for your next lesson, hope it goes better, really hope your RS gives huggy some horse time. he needs more riders like you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    it annoys me when riding schools ruin horses. The riding school i went to before change of ownership was really good, change of ownership and it went down hill. nearly all the horses have gadgets all over the place. i went with my school just so i could ride something different, was put on an older horse (obviously good when he was young but due to age, not quite supple for much anymore and has a can't be bothered but if i have to attitude). my school teacher had ridden him the day before and told me how wonderful he was. I tack him up and notice he's in a pelham, (brain thinks, must be very forward going then) get on without a stick as think we're going to be bopping and find he's really lazy. start to hack and get bored so asked for shoulder in/out etc (walk hacks are not that fun when waiting for beginners). turn round to go back to yard and the horse brightens up in a "we're going back this is exciting" so get better work from him. in the afternoon we were given a lesson and it was obvious the horse could work properly so i asked him to but there was no need for the pelham and he was completely bored and didn't really want to do anything Its so bad

My fingers are crossed for your next lesson, hope it goes better, really hope your RS gives huggy some horse time. he needs more riders like you
    It's the one bad thing about RSs really.... Thank you for that

ReputationRep:
    mud fever?

Excuse poor pic quality, those yellowy bit are like weeping scabs and she had them before, they don't look so bad when their dry, i'm back to the purple spray :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I really am no expert but isn't mud fever more widespread rather than just two points? Maybe she's knocked herself or it's mud fever before it gets bad- I'd say purple spray anyway, as she looks so good!! Sorry I can't be more help.....

Have been offline due to a broken laptop by the way!!

Have booked a riding lesson, on Kitty, for December 20th....:eek4:

ReputationRep:
    pics aren't great, she had a much larger area than those pics before s it spread but its gradually got better, i don't know what she could have knocked herself on, there's nothing in the field and if shes in at night she has bandages on. I purple sprayed it last weekend and washed her legs again tonight. will purple spray again tomorow morning. new scabs keep forming and then i wash the legs and some come off. viscious circle maybe :confused:
    Its so frustrating, do you remember ages ago that i mentioned she had patches on her legs and i was using purple spray, e45 etc. Think i may be doing this again :rolleyes: Go away mud fever-ish thing #go away#
    Is your laptop fixed now then?#ff2#
    Do you like Kitty? i'm sure you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    pics aren't great, she had a much larger area than those pics before s it spread but its gradually got better, i don't know what she could have knocked herself on, there's nothing in the field and if shes in at night she has bandages on. I purple sprayed it last weekend and washed her legs again tonight. will purple spray again tomorow morning. new scabs keep forming and then i wash the legs and some come off. viscious circle maybe :confused:
    Its so frustrating, do you remember ages ago that i mentioned she had patches on her legs and i was using purple spray, e45 etc. Think i may be doing this again :rolleyes: Go away mud fever-ish thing #go away#
    Is your laptop fixed now then?#ff2#
    Do you like Kitty? i'm sure you'll be fine

Incidentally someone just negged me for the above comment with 'random revenge Neg' as the comment- how very sad....:toofunny:

Anyhow, I dunno what it could be if she has had the problem before like you said on here I would suggest doing as you did before...good luck

Laptop completely dead- I'm going to buy a new one and my flatmate has got a PC but the internet is not protected yet so I'm at my uni library doing coursework but also catching up on net!!

I've not ridden her for a while but I did used to like her yeeeeeesss....:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Incidentally someone just negged me for the above comment with 'random revenge Neg' as the comment- how very sad....:toofunny:

Anyhow, I dunno what it could be if she has had the problem before like you said on here I would suggest doing as you did before...good luck

Laptop completely dead- I'm going to buy a new one and my flatmate has got a PC but the internet is not protected yet so I'm at my uni library doing coursework but also catching up on net!!

I've not ridden her for a while but I did used to like her yeeeeeesss....:eek:
    How random

ReputationRep:
    YAY horsies! I've been horse riding for 10 years! I'm a huge jumping fan, and im a sucker for chestnuts and arabs or quarter horses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleSnow)
    YAY horsies! I've been horse riding for 10 years! I'm a huge jumping fan, and im a sucker for chestnuts and arabs or quarter horses
    Me too Aren't they just gorgeous :love: I have two chestnut arabs :love:
    Always like the look of quarter horses but never actually met any :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    How random
    Quite!!

ReputationRep:
    coss: How're Dawn's legs??

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,
    Am new to this thread but I love horses so thought i'd add!
    I have been riding for about 10years now at various places but have had a horse on loan for the last 5yrs. Her name is Olivia and although she can be extremely cheeky sometimes she keeps me on my toes! Im very lacking in time lately so we dnt do so many shows and have recently been concentrating on dressage. I also used to work at Ada cole rescue stables- now merged with redwings. Don't know if anyone knows of it!?
    xx

ReputationRep:
    coss: How're Dawn's legs??
    Well, gave up on purple spray as it helps to an extent and then it stop improving... can' keep her in for long periods of time as she has to wear bandages and they heat her legs too much and she tries to kick harry etc so i moved onto a very expensive mud fever cure of lotions and potions (fingers crossed it works).

Have you heard of nettex? well, they do a muddy marvel range, wash the legs in shampoo (i use gallop extra strength) and rinse thoroughly,
    massage MM de-scab and leave for 5-ish mins and thoroughly rinse off - the
    massaging the scabs get them to peel off a bit, so hoping the next
    session will get rid of them all :rolleyes:
    Then, wait for the legs to be completely dry and rub in MM disinfectant, wait for that to dry...
    Then finally massage in MM barrier cream - it is so thick but hoping it will prevent the mud and moisture getting into the skin.
    See what i mean by lotions and postions?! fingers crossed it works and NO allergic reactions
    Will update next week again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    Well, gave up on purple spray as it helps to an extent and then it stop improving... can' keep her in for long periods of time as she has to wear bandages and they heat her legs too much and she tries to kick harry etc so i moved onto a very expensive mud fever cure of lotions and potions (fingers crossed it works).

Have you heard of nettex? well, they do a muddy marvel range, wash the legs in shampoo (i use gallop extra strength) and rinse thoroughly,
    massage MM de-scab and leave for 5-ish mins and thoroughly rinse off - the
    massaging the scabs get them to peel off a bit, so hoping the next
    session will get rid of them all :rolleyes:
    Then, wait for the legs to be completely dry and rub in MM disinfectant, wait for that to dry...
    Then finally massage in MM barrier cream - it is so thick but hoping it will prevent the mud and moisture getting into the skin.
    See what i mean by lotions and postions?! fingers crossed it works and NO allergic reactions
    Will update next week again
    I have my fingers crossed!! I've not heard of it know- because I've not had my own horse for over 6 years I don't ahve to buy stuff like that- partly good I guess but also partly bad. Well, with all that cufuffel it had better work!!!! Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I have my fingers crossed!! I've not heard of it know- because I've not had my own horse for over 6 years I don't ahve to buy stuff like that- partly good I guess but also partly bad. Well, with all that cufuffel it had better work!!!! Good luck!!
    it better work as i have come down with tonsilitis so i really don't feel up to doing anything horses seem happy enough though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.