Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silens_fatuus)
    Had such a great riding lesson yesterday! For the past 3 years or so I have had a major fear of jumping, at its worse I would cry and shake when a cross pole just off the ground was put up. Yesterday I did a 2ft 9 grid with a bounce onto 1 stride! I was so happy just grinning all day. The pony I was riding was a 14.2hh bay roan mare who is definately very marish! She bucks a lot and can be very nappy but I've been riding her for so long now have figured her out and can get her going very nicely!
    Just after I jumped her throught the grid a couple of times, another girl in my lesson got on her and she was such a horror! So proud that I can ride the little bugger!
    She sounds like a typical roan, my riding instructor says she is yet to meet a roan that hasn't got a cheeky side!

ReputationRep:
    Here are some pics i took whilst riding in the snow the other day, it may have been very cold but it was so much fun... Some of the pics are not so good cos they were taken on my phone. I had it on the wrong setting :rolleyes:
    I can't ride in the snow now becos its so deep. It above my horses knees now!! At least I managed to ride a couple of times. It was fun taking my dog too. I took some videos as well but unfortunately I can't upload them.
    Has any1 else had fun riding in the snow?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coss)
    She sounds like a typical roan, my riding instructor says she is yet to meet a roan that hasn't got a cheeky side!
    I've never heard that about roans...chestnuts yes but never roans!
    We have another roan pony at our stables but hes nice maybe because whose a gelding who should have been reitred about 3 years ago!
    She lush though, just tries to push you a lot. I rode her in the outdoor arena last week and she was a complete horror, broncing, rearing, bolting and even tried to jump out the arena. She picked up on the fact that I was nervous out there. But as soon as I took her back inside (after a huge argument trying to get her to walk past the tractor she only sees about 10 times a day) and had more confidence with her she was an angel.

ReputationRep:
    We have another roan pony at our stables but hes nice maybe because whose a gelding who should have been reitred about 3 years ago!
    She lush though, just tries to push you a lot. I rode her in the outdoor arena last week and she was a complete horror, broncing, rearing, bolting and even tried to jump out the arena. She picked up on the fact that I was nervous out there. But as soon as I took her back inside (after a huge argument trying to get her to walk past the tractor she only sees about 10 times a day) and had more confidence with her she was an angel.
    Sounds similar to Spider- he's just over 17hh, very leggy and attractive looking horse. Very spooky, he can't be ridden up the yard due to rearing issues and in any school is very silly, rearing, fly bucking but he's SUCH fun to ride and it just depends on the day as to how I ride him. Some days he wants to feel his rider when he approaches fences, sometimes he just wants to be left alone- and GOD help you if you get it wrong...! He flies over fences if he's in a good mood but if he spooks he REALLY does it properly!!! I just love riding!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loser88)
    Sounds similar to Spider- he's just over 17hh, very leggy and attractive looking horse. Very spooky, he can't be ridden up the yard due to rearing issues and in any school is very silly, rearing, fly bucking but he's SUCH fun to ride and it just depends on the day as to how I ride him. Some days he wants to feel his rider when he approaches fences, sometimes he just wants to be left alone- and GOD help you if you get it wrong...! He flies over fences if he's in a good mood but if he spooks he REALLY does it properly!!! I just love riding!!
    Insane animals aren't they! My friends think I'm mad. Tell them about my "baby" (shes not mine but I love her to bits) and her bucking and broncing then the excellent jump and they're like 'aren't you worried she'll hurt you'. They just dont get they thrill out of it. I prefer my horses with that bit of awkwardness makes it even more satisfying when you get them going nicely. but not stupid horses, my aunties grey drops to the floor when shes had enough...rider or not :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Great pics Coss and well done SilensFatuus, Jumping is not my forte so I can definatly understand where you are coming from!

I just heard we've got an article in Absolute Horse this month if anyone takes it. Its a regional magazine for the south east and midlands i think! Anyway we're the Dales stud thats in there...Lowhouses Black Magic.

ReputationRep:
    My riding instructor was dicussing tempraments of horses wiv me the other wk, she also mentioned the fact that chestnuts have a bit of a reputation especially mares. Arabs have a bit of reputaion too so I'm really stuck cos Dawn is a chestnut arab mare. My instructor was saying that altho she has come across a lot of 'Typical' chestnuts she has also been in contact with some nice ones. She says EVERY roan she has come across has had a bit of cheekiness and unless they are worked really hard all the time they are real brats.
    My friend has a Roan gelding and he is so clever and so cheeky, he bucks so well:eek:

ReputationRep:
    Here are some pics of my CHESTNUT, ARAB, MARE and my CHESTNUT ARAB gelding.
    Some were taken while i was riding. Dawn galloping was a few years ago now but she hasn't changed since that foto was taken. Harry is laying with his rain rug last year. I'll have to change the resolution my other fotos cos they are all to big to upload:rolleyes:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Aww coss those horses are adorable!! I especially love the one of Harry-- what a sweetheart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littleheadache)
    Aww coss those horses are adorable!! I especially love the one of Harry-- what a sweetheart!
    He make look like a sweetheart in those fotos but his attitude can be far from it. I love him cos he is kinda cute but he has got a bit of an attitude. So many people say i'm mad for riding him. One minute he seems like a really sane dressage horse ( i will edit my fotos of him to reduce their size and put some on the forum) and the next you are taking off across the field bucking because a blade of grass moved the wrong way:eek: My riding instructor likes him tho, she's a good judge of horses so there must be something good in him:p: Taking the foto while i was on him was quite scary cos it makes a clicking sound and that spooked him a little. That foto was the 3rd or 4th attempt. He finally realised that the funny noise was just to do with me and a beast was not going to attack him!

ReputationRep:
    Insane animals aren't they! My friends think I'm mad. Tell them about my "baby" (shes not mine but I love her to bits) and her bucking and broncing then the excellent jump and they're like 'aren't you worried she'll hurt you'. They just dont get they thrill out of it. I prefer my horses with that bit of awkwardness makes it even more satisfying when you get them going nicely. but not stupid horses, my aunties grey drops to the floor when shes had enough...rider or not :eek:
    Yes indeed, he is a mad as a stick! He is so awkward that it's a really great feeling when he jumps- he's a bit stupid but doens't drop down!!!! Though having said that coming into a jump the other day he felt weird and was messing around (not lame and had already jumped it) only about 3ft3 and he took off, then changed his mind and fell over the fence- I landed on his neck and stayed on whilst he stood back up, jumped the rest of the jump that was still standing and then bolted!! THAT was scary!!!! BUT FUN!!!!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc Doc1.doc (29.0 KB, 94 views)

ReputationRep:
    gorgeous horse.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. Really really pretty.

ReputationRep:
    :blush:
    (Original post by LauraWalker)
    oh well with your training contract u can soon become a rich lawyer and buy one !!!!!
    That's the plan!!

I rode Frey for the first time today It wasn't nearly as scary being that high up as I thought!!!!!
    My friend who I help out has asked me today if I would be interested in loaning him formally - very exciting!! Im not prepared to commit to anything until I finish my final year at uni, but we're hoping to work something out at the end of May as long as I get on ok riding him and stuff over the next two months!!

Went to an excellent horsey shop today - Throstlenest Saddlery at Barnsley. (Have you been LauraWalker? Although its a hour or so from you...) Got myself a new hat, some jods, etc etc etc etc - Visa took a right hammering - and enjoyed it so much!! I feel truly "back in the game" now and its a very satisfying feeling ...... :blushing:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of your replies re: Spid the Did! That's not the best pic of him- I'll post some more when I get them on this computer!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)
    :blush:

Went to an excellent horsey shop today - Throstlenest Saddlery at Barnsley. (Have you been LauraWalker? Although its a hour or so from you...) Got myself a new hat, some jods, etc etc etc etc - Visa took a right hammering - and enjoyed it so much!! I feel truly "back in the game" now and its a very satisfying feeling ...... :blushing:
    No actually there is an equestrian super store 10 minutes down the road called R and R. It is hugh so there is not much need to go far a field. Stocked up on their special £1 per brush deal the other day. I really need some kit too. When I was unwell, I did not ride as much and made do. I think I'd like an extra pair of jods cos of weight loss (one pair that fits is not much good for a horse owner). Also my rubber boots are causing exerma

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the rep LauraWalker! I needed it!

ReputationRep:
    Dressage Harry is him working quite well at home. I like it when he is like this . Harry-dressage is at a competition. He did actually win because there were some nicer moments but this is him taking off. Unfortunately my dad didn't take the photos of him doing passage - he wasnt meant to be, he was just spooking at the sand and the bank and i don't know what else:p: If only he would stay calm for the whole dressage test. He's got a lovely medium trot but only after i've brought him back to trot after cantering away from a spooky corner:eek:
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    CRISIS!!

Frey was kicked in the field last week, and all his face swelled up, but there was no heat in it, he was happy to have it touched and he was eating properly etc., so we left it for a day or two and the swelling went down...

Anyway yesterday he was ridden again and my friend was giving me a lesson, and she noticed his foam around his bit (normal, through working him) was turning pink ... whipped off his bridle, and he was bleeding slightly from inside his mouth .... called vet, and he has broken a tooth when he was kicked, which has the become infected quite badly He has some antibiotics, a 10 day course, if these dont work he can have 2 more courses, then if it still hasnt gone, he has to have an operation where the vet goes in through the bone, and its a serious op which has a 30% mortality rate Very scared and gutted!!

Cant believe it, my friend is a qualified vetinary nurse, he's been eating normally, happy, etc., cant believe he's so poorly... feel really bad not to have spotted something even though vet says we couldnt have.

Just praying the antibiotics take hold...

ReputationRep:
    Aww ellewoods I'm sorry!!! Tell him I hope he feels better

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.