Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have to soak Kinky's hay now, so much hassle and I swear he doesn't like it as much. Grrr.

The silly hoss has got an attack of low grade laminitis. Grumble. We've had to make him a starvation paddock (nice and big, with a loop in the middle, designed for movement) and supplement his grass with hay for fiber. Apparently a combination of ultra-fresh grass (damned weather) and wormer brought it on. We have to ram liver tonic down his throat every night.

ReputationRep:
    How many people take their horses with them to uni?

I'm tempted to take one, or even just have him come stay in a nearby yard for the holidays.

He's gone lame though today, so hopefully he will be ok in time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scribbles)

I'm tempted to take one, or even just have him come stay in a nearby yard for the holidays.

I would love to take my babies to uni, but I shan't be able to afford it! As much as I hate keeping them inside, and would love to have them grass kept, we do have laminitis/weight problems with them and they must have stables. And I can't face putting them out in really nasty weather. I can't afford a livery yard, and there isn't anywhere close enough to uni for me to be able to get there morning and evening anyway.

ReputationRep:
    i chose my uni so i'd be close to the horses. i wouldn't be able to afford livery so my horses stay at home, are looked after by my parents during the week and i go home at weekends, just over an hour's train journey but takes a while to get to the station. its nice to know they're only 50 miles away

ReputationRep:
    im learning to ride side saddle now as i ride at riding school as it is way to expensive to keep a horse in london, and there are no fiields. I alternate 1 week side saddle lesson, 1 week normal lesson. It really help with balance and stuff and is fun, and the horses seem to like it better

ReputationRep:
    thats interesting... i've never tried proper side saddle - have sat on a gp side on but it doesn't really work :p: - i have a friend who wanted to try side saddle but there aren't horses in the area trained for it.

are they more responsive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scribbles)

I really wanted to take mine too, but I can't afford it. I decided to sell him, so I hope that UCL union riding club is any good, beacuse I would hate not riding at all for 3 years I'm also thinking about working part-time in some yard in London- I will need to work anyway, so why not try and do what I really like for a job.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tempted to learn horse-riding. Seems like a lot of fun. ;yes;

I live in Maida Vale and I've just finished my GCSE, are there any good horse riding teachings or facilities around?

ReputationRep:
    I looooove horse riding
    I've been riding for about 12 years, I gave up for a while 'cos I couldn't afford to go anymore but recently I've been getting back into it again. I don't compete, hacks are the best! I wish I owned or loaned a horse but my funds are insufficient...

ReputationRep:
    I had a couple of lessons riding for the first time at a polo club and its was great! I think i'm going to take up riding and learn to play polo.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to try polo, it looks so exciting! I work at a riding stables at the weekends/holidays (5 years and counting!) and I love it. . .definitely the best way to spend free time. If only I had the time or money for a horse of my own xxx

ReputationRep:
    Who rides? Me!

How long have you been riding for?
    A looong long time, literally since i could walk! I probably knew how to ride before i coudl walk ha ha.16 years in total.

Are you competative (SJ, D, XC, etc.)? Or do you prefer to take it easy and have lessons and hacks?
    I have never been a competitive person, i did a few Gymkhana's as a child for fun really, but nothing in that form since, i'm a spectator of competitions, supporting friends and what have you Happy Hacker is my horsey ambition! lol. I love jumping and doing schooling now again.

Are you lucky enough to own/loan/share a Horse/Pony?

I came close to loaning my friends horse whilst at Uni but her Dad has since told her she need to sell her horse and pony to pay off Uni fees. Poor Gem. So hopefully next year i shall have saved some money up to buy my own horse, i'm looking for an ex racehorse or an arab... but on a budget! Hmmm.

For the mean time, my nan owns a dark bay TB who i shall ride every weekend, and try to school a little and improve her confidence. My nan spoils her so you can imagine what kind of horse we have on our hands, she behaves like a spoilt child. I love her to bits but she needs a confidence boost and teaching some manners.

If anyone wants to discuss her behaviour and thier horses behavour with me i'd be happy to chatter bout it cuz i find it very interesting. We could share advice, tips, etc on how to control horses like this and get more enjoyment out of them.

Just linking back to what someone said in the thread about Arabs, i am really fond of this breed so i'm probably quite biased, but the breed has so much more to offer than elegance and beauty. As an article featured in Horse & Hound said of the Arab breed... I also found this article detailing the breeds uses... So please don't slate the Arab til you know what its REALLY capable of.

"Arabians are versatile horses that compete in many equestrian fields, including Horse racing, the horse show disciplines of Saddle Seat, Western Pleasure, and Hunt seat, as well as Dressage, Cutting, Reining, Endurance riding, Show jumping, Eventing, youth events such as equitation, and others. They make reliable pleasure, trail, and working ranch horses for those who are not interested in competition."- Wikipedia

ReputationRep:
    hi im new round here. i ride. have done for 10 years. only hacking at the mo with the odd dressage clinc. but going to start on the BHS Stages soon. i dont own my own i ride for a woman. hes a ex - racer from the TRC and i love him. thort id introduce myself!!

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to :tsr: Enjoy your stay, and make the most of it. :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    Whats everyones opinion on copper bits and Sweetiron bits for horses that have trouble accepting the bit? I think it's a good idea. I am totally against these people that insist on shooving aload of mental into a horses mouth for no good reason- over bitting is a pet hate of mine and it's just unneccary in msot cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SerenBach)
    hi im new round here. i ride. have done for 10 years. only hacking at the mo with the odd dressage clinc. but going to start on the BHS Stages soon. i dont own my own i ride for a woman. hes a ex - racer from the TRC and i love him. thort id introduce myself!!
    Welcome to the Horsey bit!

Thats brilliant! I love Racehorse's and it's so refreshing to hear people giving them ago and not running in the opposite direction! lol I'd happily own some of the horses i rode whilst on work exp at a race yard, they were lovely! Atm i ride my nan's TB who is a little mad but loveable all the same, this winter i really want to improve her somewhat and build her confidence through road work. Let me know how you get on with you BHS Stages, & Best of Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeandfaith)
    Whats everyones opinion on copper bits and Sweetiron bits for horses that have trouble accepting the bit? I think it's a good idea. I am totally against these people that insist on shooving aload of mental into a horses mouth for no good reason- over bitting is a pet hate of mine and it's just unneccary in msot cases.
    I hate bits, full stop. Kind of have to put up with them through, as the Pony Club that my sisters ride for insists on using certain bits for competitions etc.

I don't think a different kind of metal is the answer, tbh. It's still hard and metallic, even if it is warmer/tastes better.

My mare HATES bits. Using them too much makes her stroppy and difficult to control. Even on a good day, her performance tends to be way lower. I have recently borrowed a rubber snaffle from a friend, and am trying her in that, but she is mostly ridden in a hackamore. Its amazing! She went from being an irritable cow, who was impossible to school, to being gentle and responsive. True, she is a little strong in it, so I wouldn't recommend one for X-country (although she was jumping very well that day, even if she did manage to tank me in between jumps!). But seriously, it is a wonderful, wonderful thing and she is really happy in it!

We ride my gelding in a dutch gag. I want to train him for hackamore, but it would take time and be pointless for competitions etc due to restrictions on tack. He doesn't actually mind the bit, so maybe rocking the boat is a little silly. I just don't like seeing metal in horses mouths =(

On a side note, we nearly broke his jaw with a chiffney bit the other day. We bought it as he is/was a problem to load and we were assured by our friend that he would yield to it, as it would dig into his mouth otherwise. But no. He didn't care if we ripped his head off, he was NOT going into the trailer! He was running backwards so fast that I didn't have a chance to slacken the pressure off. Just had to let him loose, for fear of really hurting him. Never used it again, and never will.

There are some seriously scary bits out there, with all sorts of nobbles and rollers and spikey bits. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopeandfaith)
    different horses like different things. my gelding has vastly improved since changing from a stainless steel bit to a copper mouth. my mare is better in the happy mouth. all horses need a bit of trial and error to see what they will be happy in. i know one horse that works particularly well in a kimblewick which most people see as a harsh bit - you can use very light aids when in that bit, in a snaffle he tanks :rolleyes:
    a bit is only as kind as the hands using them
    i have also ridden my mare in a hackamore which is not kind "bit", you're not pulling on the mouth but you can break a horses jaw with one :eek: . she is very responsive in it but the cheek pieces always creep up to her eyes so i can't use it for long periods. i know of horses that freak in a hackamore because of the strength - they bolt, rider pulls more, horse bolts more
    Overbitting annoys me too but i do see a lightness in some horses when they have a "stronger" bit in and the aids needed via the reins are much lighter, less movement of the bit to ask and therefore - surely - more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posterpreviouslyknownascoss:D)
    i have also ridden my mare in a hackamore which is not kind "bit", you're not pulling on the mouth but you can break a horses jaw with one :eek: . she is very responsive in it but the cheek pieces always creep up to her eyes so i can't use it for long periods. i know of horses that freak in a hackamore because of the strength - they bolt, rider pulls more, horse bolts more
    Overbitting annoys me too but i do see a lightness in some horses when they have a "stronger" bit in and the aids needed via the reins are much lighter, less movement of the bit to ask and therefore - surely - more comfortable.
    I think it depends on the kind of hackamore. I have no idea how on earth someone could break a jaw using the kind I use, as there is zero pressure on the jaw. I have seen some very scary looking hackamores with far too much metal for my liking, but mine is just the metal cheeks and lots of padded leather on the nose and under the jaw. Also, my one really isn't strong. I was always told that a hackamore is a really strong bit and I believed it, but now I have used one, I can't see how it is. My mare hates people being heavy handed, and will do the opposite of what you ask her if she thinks you are trying to bully her. We did try her in a kimblewick, and she went mental. But she loves her hackamore. You can almost see her smile when she is being ridden in it. It's so cute! I put her in a bit the other day (the rubber snaffle) and her expression was just "what the hell are you playing at, woman!". We had the hackamore recommened by an Intermediate Instructior who works very closely with the Intelligent Horsemanship movement and has a lot of experience with "crazy" horses. A little like Monty Roberts or Kelly Marks.

Anyway, I'll stop sounding like I am ranting! I'm not =D

I know that a bit can be gentle and give wonderful results if used properly and if it suits the horse, but I just don't like the whole concept of having metal in the mouth. I wouldn't like it, and I think horses only accept it becuase they have effectively been indoctrinated into it and don't see that they have a choice. If someone could talk to them, I doubt they would say "oh yes, I love having a bar of metal in my mouth"

You know, horses really amaze me. Some of the crap that they put up with is astonishing. We kick them, wack them, put bits in their mouths, use spurs, force them into boxes and trailers, make them ride past huge scary lorries etc. And for the most part, they are so good about it! And we have the audacity to get upset when they do mess around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I think it depends on the kind of hackamore. I have no idea how on earth someone could break a jaw using the kind I use, as there is zero pressure on the jaw. I have seen some very scary looking hackamores with far too much metal for my liking, but mine is just the metal cheeks and lots of padded leather on the nose and under the jaw. Also, my one really isn't strong. I was always told that a hackamore is a really strong bit and I believed it, but now I have used one, I can't see how it is. My mare hates people being heavy handed, and will do the opposite of what you ask her if she thinks you are trying to bully her. We did try her in a kimblewick, and she went mental. But she loves her hackamore. You can almost see her smile when she is being ridden in it. It's so cute! I put her in a bit the other day (the rubber snaffle) and her expression was just "what the hell are you playing at, woman!". We had the hackamore recommened by an Intermediate Instructior who works very closely with the Intelligent Horsemanship movement and has a lot of experience with "crazy" horses. A little like Monty Roberts or Kelly Marks.

Anyway, I'll stop sounding like I am ranting! I'm not =D

I know that a bit can be gentle and give wonderful results if used properly and if it suits the horse, but I just don't like the whole concept of having metal in the mouth. I wouldn't like it, and I think horses only accept it becuase they have effectively been indoctrinated into it and don't see that they have a choice. If someone could talk to them, I doubt they would say "oh yes, I love having a bar of metal in my mouth"

You know, horses really amaze me. Some of the crap that they put up with is astonishing. We kick them, wack them, put bits in their mouths, use spurs, force them into boxes and trailers, make them ride past huge scary lorries etc. And for the most part, they are so good about it! And we have the audacity to get upset when they do mess around.
    It is fine if the horse is happy in a hackamore (i have an english hackamore much like the one you describe by the sounds of it) and it creates a lot of pressure on the nose and jaw if used harshly and the steering is rubbish (unless your horse is very responsive to seat and leg ainds in which case the hackamore confirms direction much as a bit should.
    [i should add at this point i'm not ranting either ] As i say, some horses work very well in a hackamore and you can use very light aids which makes it quite "light" but if the horse doesn't like it that causes problems. i don't know how it breaks the jaw but i would suspect its to do with the rotation of the shanks twisting the noseband and bring the strap under the jaw up, tightening it and if the horse twists... my RI warned me and i don't see her lying about something like that!

If you start to question putting a bit in the horse's mouth because they wouldn't be happy with it you have to question the whole riding aspect of horse ownership - horses are only happy about being ridden because we've "broken them" to make them accept us as riders etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.