The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Botticello
i see what you mean - its unnatural to lock them away, as in the wild they mix with females all the time

this is also true. stallions that run free with mares also seem to respect mares more (they have to be more polite:wink: )
posterpreviouslyknownascoss:D
pure_joy... there is something about the first one that stands out - i think i prefer the first one :redface:

The first one had a lovely character, very trainable- I broke him and trained him myself and had completely no problems. The stallion was very well-trained already and he was an amazing mover, with really nice gaits. I personally liked both horses, they were very different, though.

Botticello- I used to ride a lot of stallions before - I was riding in a state stallion stud (like the ones in Warendorf or Celle in Germany). Some can be a bit crazy, especially in spring, when their hormones start to get in the way. Basically, stallions are not dangerous killers (as some people think), but you have to be a bit more careful with them, both when grooming and riding. Most can be quite easily handled, but you shouldn't trust them too much- e.g. never walk a stallion on a headcollar and leadrope, always take a long lunge and a bridle. In general, stallions seem to have a stronger will than most mares and geldings, so it takes a bit more effort to keep them in line, but if you can make them cooperate, they can perform really well.
I see what you mean. Whether I'd trust one enough to own Im not sure.

I ride a mare on my lesson who sometimes has tantrums, and whirls around in the middle of the school cause she's not used to the school environment, though shes been schooled for 6 weeks and is getting better, and squeaks at the other horses, and bucks a bit. Its rather embarrassing!
Just don't let her do it- try to keep her busy. I don't know what's your level of riding, but if you keep her busy even with doing lots of different sized circles, simple transitions (walk-trot, trot-canter), halts, etc, she'll probably stop having tantrums.
There might be other reasons for horses misbehaving, than boredom, though- wrong aids from the rider, badly suited saddle, which is rubbing the horse, etc. She might just not be used to having lots of horses around. Also, some mares can get really stupid when they're in season.
Thankage :smile: Yeah, she's fine out on a hack, its just she gets worked up around the others in a school. I've been riding for 11 years, so Im very used to it all :smile:
pure_joy
The first one had a lovely character, very trainable- I broke him and trained him myself and had completely no problems. The stallion was very well-trained already and he was an amazing mover, with really nice gaits. I personally liked both horses, they were very different, though.

Botticello- I used to ride a lot of stallions before - I was riding in a state stallion stud (like the ones in Warendorf or Celle in Germany). Some can be a bit crazy, especially in spring, when their hormones start to get in the way. Basically, stallions are not dangerous killers (as some people think), but you have to be a bit more careful with them, both when grooming and riding. Most can be quite easily handled, but you shouldn't trust them too much- e.g. never walk a stallion on a headcollar and leadrope, always take a long lunge and a bridle. In general, stallions seem to have a stronger will than most mares and geldings, so it takes a bit more effort to keep them in line, but if you can make them cooperate, they can perform really well.

the 1st one looks slightly softer i think. i also appreciate they are both different horses and you can't just by photos :p:

I've never heard of not trusting a stallion (just because its a stallion). The few stallions i've known are worked like any other horse (except they aren't turned out with other horses). Both are lead with just a headcollar and leadrope. Even one of the transporting companies commented on how easy they were to handle (they normally use a controller head collar but didn't bother) I do think they're upbringing plays a large part though :p:
I went on a beach ride for 2 hours today it was FUN!
Lucky you :smile: We have mud everywhere now, the snow has just melted.

I've never heard of not trusting a stallion (just because its a stallion). The few stallions i've known are worked like any other horse (except they aren't turned out with other horses). Both are lead with just a headcollar and leadrope. Even one of the transporting companies commented on how easy they were to handle (they normally use a controller head collar but didn't bother) I do think they're upbringing plays a large part though

Those two are really nice horses then. Of course stallions can be worked like any other horses. It's just that it's worth to be extra careful for two main reasons- first, stallions can get really excited easily (or more easily than most mares or geldings), so they can be more difficult to handle, and you do want to keep them obedient all the time. So why give them an opportunity for getting stupid.
Another thing- if a stallion manages to run away, it's a big problem. The place I ride in is really big, 3 large stables for more than 100 horses. The area is a few square kilometers and there are lots of other horses around and a main road is not very far away, so it's quite dangerous when a horse runs away. And a loose stallion can cause more damage than any other horse and it can be more difficult to catch, so it has more time to hurt itself. This is why there are a few extra things we try to be careful about with stallions.
Of course, usually the stallions behave ok and you just turn out to completely not need extra precautions. But sometimes a horse gets crazy and it's nice to be able to avoid accidents.
I'm not talking about anything dramatic, just simple things like always walking a stallion on a bridle, never leaving the stable door open, even for a few seconds, not coming too close to other horses, not turning them out with other horses.
I agree with you that upbringing is very important- not only with stallions, with actually all horses.
pure_joy
Lucky you :smile: We have mud everywhere now, the snow has just melted.

Those two are really nice horses then. Of course stallions can be worked like any other horses. It's just that it's worth to be extra careful for two main reasons- first, stallions can get really excited easily (or more easily than most mares or geldings), so they can be more difficult to handle, and you do want to keep them obedient all the time. So why give them an opportunity for getting stupid.
Another thing- if a stallion manages to run away, it's a big problem. The place I ride in is really big, 3 large stables for more than 100 horses. The area is a few square kilometers and there are lots of other horses around and a main road is not very far away, so it's quite dangerous when a horse runs away. And a loose stallion can cause more damage than any other horse and it can be more difficult to catch, so it has more time to hurt itself. This is why there are a few extra things we try to be careful about with stallions.
Of course, usually the stallions behave ok and you just turn out to completely not need extra precautions. But sometimes a horse gets crazy and it's nice to be able to avoid accidents.
I'm not talking about anything dramatic, just simple things like always walking a stallion on a bridle, never leaving the stable door open, even for a few seconds, not coming too close to other horses, not turning them out with other horses.
I agree with you that upbringing is very important- not only with stallions, with actually all horses.

well.. yes, that is very true :p: the stallions i know are on a privately owned place and should they escape they can't go far - i do see your point though :smile:
I realise Im mightily behind on this post! You guys have been at it (typing!) for years! Haha. Anyway, I've been riding since I was 4 and Im 20 now, so I make that 16 years! Ive owned horses since I was 9 and was incredibly lucky to own a 3 year old imported American ex-racehorse stallion (what a mouthful) a few years ago. He was AMAZING! Unfortunatly I had to sell him (as a 6 year old) due to college - just not enough time to school him so he went to a show-jumping home. Desperately want my own horse again:frown:

Im pretty competitive, but all the horses I've owned have been babies so have needed more schooling than competing. My sister owned a retired Grand Prix warmblood so I was very lucky so learn all the GP movements on him. A few years ago I was very priveliged to be invited to train in the US with a GP dressage rider and might go again this year. As you can tell, I love my dressage haha!

Think thats the basics about me really!
Reply 1270
Hi all! Wow I just didn't realise this thread was here! Tucked away in Sport lol, shows I would never go in the Sports forum as I'm a lazy bum! :p: I've got a horse, Thornton, on loan. He's a 16.3hh liver chestnut TBxID gelding, and I luff him lotttts :smile: :smile: :smile:
I've just made a forum on proboards for all us crazy horsey peeps :redface: there are some piccies of Thornton on there, the address is http://saddleupforum.proboards54.com
Apologies if it looks messy I literally only made it this evening and have never used proboards before!!

Anyways, good to find this thread.
Dani x
neither did I, as the society is pretty dead! I like the facebook group "People who say that riding isnt a sport should get out there and try it!"
Haven't seen that facebook group, need to have a look. All my friends at uni say riding is not a sport and it's just rubbish.
people who say that are just jealous cause they don't have the guts to ride!!
Has anyone here ever rode Western?

I've been riding English for about 8 years now, but in a few months I'm going to be on a ranch where it'll be Western. Can anyone tell me the differences or how hard it is to adjust?
I've tried western once- after 10 minutes I came back and changed the saddle to my normal dressage one. It's not for me, but I have some friends who do it. The differences are in the schooling of the horse (e.g. very slow, sometimes 4-beat canter, with weight on the forehand instead of a very collected canter, with weight on the hindquarters.). Other differences are in the rider's seat- the saddle holds you really tight, and you sit with completely straight legs, your lower leg being further from the horse than in a classical saddle, whether jumping or dressage one. The bridle is slightly different, and there are lots of different bits, some of them very strong.
Id love to try it to see what its like, but Id probably like the old english GP saddle, what I was brought up with!
This is Tess, who I ride, isnt she cute? I call her big baby cause of the tantrums she has!

She's really cute :smile: And she has a really sweet wild mane.

If we're back to photos, those are two trakehners I used to ride:

(please don't laugh, I was 12 when the photo was taken, the horse was a 16 y.o. schoolmaster and she just knew she can be lazy)

A really great mover and the most insane horse I've met.
nice looking horses :smile: and the pictures are fine! Lunatics can be quite fun if you have a crazy side!! I like his clip and neck outline
wordsearch
Has anyone here ever rode Western?

I've been riding English for about 8 years now, but in a few months I'm going to be on a ranch where it'll be Western. Can anyone tell me the differences or how hard it is to adjust?

Both of my horses are schooled for both English and western style, but unfortunately I don't have the money for western saddles and bridles. However, I still apply a few western principles when hacking/schooling, depending on what I am aiming to achieve, of course.

As for the style, and how it differs -

Much longer stirrups, and thus much straighter legs - I found this the main difference as far as I was concerned, as a newbie. You have to get used to lots of sitting trot, and long, rangy canters. More like a lope really. And jog-trot. Personaly, I think jog-trot can be THE most confortable gait to ride. The saddle puts you in near-enough the right position, and it is much more confortable for long distances than English style. I've ridden for 8 hours a day, 7 days a week in western style before (I worked as a trail guide for a few seasons), and compared to doing the same stint in an English saddle, it is heaven!

There is much more empahsis on riding one handed (so that your other hand is free for other things) - as a result, most of the steering is done via your legs, position in the saddle and neck reining. My horses are so sensitive that I barely have to think "turn left", and they do it.

I also find that a western saddle lets you feel closer to the horses back, and lets you feel more 'at one' with the horse. I have ahieved a much better connection when riding my horses western than English - simlar to riding bare back, but easier :p: there was one time while acting as a guide that I had to drive a wild colt away from the group, and the little git was leaping about, dashing around, and generaly getting the other horses VERY excited! King (my young man) and I just turned and drove the pony back. Every time he lept to the side, King would follow, snaking his head low and driving him back. I was barely thinking instructions, and he was following them flawlessly. We pushed the pony back, and managed to get the group through a gate on the mountainside.

However, I've never been schooled in western. I pretty much was given a trained horse, and some tack, and told to figure it out for myself. So I can't give you too much advice!

I will say, however, that western bridles can have VERY strong bits, so if you try riding English style, with a strong contact, you might not make the horse too happy.

Latest