Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    nice looking horses and the pictures are fine! Lunatics can be quite fun if you have a crazy side!! I like his clip and neck outline
    Thanks, the chestnut was really good looking, wasn't he. Unfortunately, he wasn't just a lunatic, more like "ok and now I'll rear up and make your head hit the wall". It was my horse, sold him to a showjumper 2 years ago, I turned 18 and he was no prospect for young riders class, because of his craziness it was already hard to ride him in junior, which is only advanced medium.

(Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I worked as a trail guide for a few seasons
    Sounds really fun, where was that?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of helpful stuff
    Would you say that it's pretty easy to adapt too? And what kind of length would you say the legs should be? I've tried looking at websites, but haven't really found anything helpful.

Also is it true that there is no rising trot in western? Which is hell for me, I am not the worlds biggest sitting trot fan by any means!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wordsearch)
    Would you say that it's pretty easy to adapt too? And what kind of length would you say the legs should be? I've tried looking at websites, but haven't really found anything helpful.

Also is it true that there is no rising trot in western? Which is hell for me, I am not the worlds biggest sitting trot fan by any means!
    You *can* do rising trot (i.e, it isn't impossible), but I've never seen it done in a show/by someone experienced.

I found it very easy to adapt to, but I am used to riding in a similar manner in an English saddle (long stirrups, ages in the saddle, loping canters, etc). If you are only used to riding school work and jumping, it might be trickier.

As for length of leg, if you let them dangle while working without stirrups, you wouldn't be far off the right length.

Lemmie find a picture . . .

This is of my mother riding my ponies' older brother. It's not a great picture, but might give you an idea of stirrup length, etc.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pure_joy)
    Thanks, the chestnut was really good looking, wasn't he. Unfortunately, he wasn't just a lunatic, more like "ok and now I'll rear up and make your head hit the wall". It was my horse, sold him to a showjumper 2 years ago, I turned 18 and he was no prospect for young riders class, because of his craziness it was already hard to ride him in junior, which is only advanced medium.
    I knew a horse like that . . . he, erm, isn't around anymore

Silly bugger managed to knock his brains out.

Sounds really fun, where was that?
    Black Mountains in Wales.

It was amazing. The place was so beautiful, and the horses were all really bright, strong, capable creatures. No dull trekking ponies here!

ReputationRep:
    Black Mountains in Wales.

It was amazing. The place was so beautiful, and the horses were all really bright, strong, capable creatures. No dull trekking ponies here!
    That's a really nice holiday idea. I'm jealous I've been to Wales once and it's really lovely, I'd love to go for some horse hacking holiday there.

ReputationRep:
    The place I used to work at has closed down now, due to the owner retiring. We bought two of the horses

The idea was essentially that you get a horse to ride for a week. On day one you set out, and head to a pub for lunch, and then onto a youth hostel/B&B for the night. The horses would be turned out in local fields. The next day you would move on, another pub, another youth hostel. Etc. Do that for 7 days, taking a loop around the mountains. We would cover about 150 miles in the week. And it wasn't all just plodding! The horses were very fit and used to the work, so they were always up for a canter, or even a gallop. We would move as fast as we could, weather, ground and horse permitting.

The terrain was very varied - everything from the open common, to the bare mountain side, to narrow sheep tracks, to road work, to marshes and bogs. Some of it could be quite dangerous, and once we had Jet get stuck up to his belly in a bog. He was so brave, and plunged out, but it gave us all quite a fright! There are also nasty 'swallow holes' where the ground just gives away and caves in, and the fog can be so thick that you can't see a horse's length in front of you. It is so eerie to see the waters of a mountain lake gently lapping at the banks in the thick fog, where you can't see the other side. It might go on forever, and looks very Arthurian. I almost expected the Lady of the Lake to emerge!

ReputationRep:
    You *can* do rising trot (i.e, it isn't impossible), but I've never seen it done in a show/by someone experienced.

I found it very easy to adapt to, but I am used to riding in a similar manner in an English saddle (long stirrups, ages in the saddle, loping canters, etc). If you are only used to riding school work and jumping, it might be trickier.

As for length of leg, if you let them dangle while working without stirrups, you wouldn't be far off the right length.

Lemmie find a picture . . .

This is of my mother riding my ponies' older brother. It's not a great picture, but might give you an idea of stirrup length, etc.
    I do a lot of bareback riding so I'm hoping it won't be too different from that! Thank you for that picture, that has reassured me quite a bit because my legs are naturally like that when I ride bareback anyway!

Final question on the subject I swear Do you still keep your heels pointing downwards? In all the pictures I've seen they haven't been, but that could just be because they are more candid.

ReputationRep:
    There isn't so much an emphasis on "toes up, heels down", but it doesn't go the other way either. I think the position is just a lot more relaxed.

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to do a riding holiday.. the wales one sounds wonderful..
    the closest Ive been is in burgundy, france for a half hour ride, I got a tubby norwegian fjord and she wouldnt canter and the instructor had to lend me a whip. most embarrassing!
    I really want to go on this one
    www.mozambiquehorsesafari.com

ReputationRep:
    *drools*

I am so tempted to book the 8 day safari right now!

I wish I could take my babies back to the mountains for a few days, but most of the rides were across private land and I doubt I could get the permissions again. Not only that, but most of the hostels stopped providing a field for the horses once the business closed down. I wouldn't have anywhere to put them!

ReputationRep:
    Schmokie Dragon- sounds really amazing, and 150 miles in a week is very impressive. I need to think about something like that, maybe next year. I would love to take a break from dressage for a week or two, but I've got to many horses to train this summer.

ReputationRep:
    Do you get to ride every day?

ReputationRep:
    I've riding basically all my life so about 16 years.

My family has 4 horses but I ride one of them.

Recently, become more competitive, competiting most weekends. Do a bit of everything but mainly showjumping although in the summer do about 3 or 4 one day events. Do alot of Pony Club stuff and hoping to go to champs, although not sure if the team will qualify.
    Anyone else involved in that??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Botticello)
    Do you get to ride every day?
    are you asking about the trail ride?

if so - yes, you do. Well, at least you did on the one I went on. If you're asking about the safari, I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    just found this thread and wanted to have a rant about the lack of horse action on tv - i occasionally spot something on eurosport or sky sports 3 but its so frustrating there isn't more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fabbo)
    just found this thread and wanted to have a rant about the lack of horse action on tv - i occasionally spot something on eurosport or sky sports 3 but its so frustrating there isn't more.
    agree entirely though i don't always have access to sky so even worse

ReputationRep:
    I know, its the only sport im actually interested in!

ReputationRep:
    are there any guys who compete on TSR?
    or am I the only one? lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaveItForTheMorning)
    are there any guys who compete on TSR?
    or am I the only one? lol
    i compete when i can but its rare as i don't have any transport

ReputationRep:
    Lol sorry I meant guys as in males!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.