Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Aww how lovely Frankie is absolutely adorable.

Anyway, guess what? My mom just got a new horse (really cool, as she hasn't been riding for a while). She usually rides my horse when she's away, but she's kind of afraid of him and she wants to start eventing. She tried this horse out and was jumping him on the first day, after not jumping for 6 years!!! So anyway, because I'm in Scotland I haven't met him yet (though apparently he and my horse are bff now lol), so I was looking around the internet for eventing results he might have. I found some pictures that were taken at an event I went to. Turns out...

My mother's new horse was in my division last summer and beat me by a place!

Btw he looks awfully cute. I'm so excited for her
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't know what to do...

My mate is giving up her horse that I've been eyeing up for awhile now and she's offered her to me. Dapple grey cob mare who is really good natured, safe and honest. Perfect as that means my other half can ride too.

But we can't afford another horse. So I'd have to get rid of my TB. Who I love a lot and am trying to persevere with, but after 5 months he tends to irritate me. For instance, yesterday I brought him in and he just went ballistic. I tried to tack him up and he was rearing and bucking, biting and kicking. Not to mention screaming his head off. I'm a very experienced rider, but sometimes I just want something a little more push button!

My other half is into horses, but a novice so there's no way he can ride Jasper. This other horse, he could ride. He's been mentioning recently how expensive Jasper is and how he doesn't feel bonded with him at all, so I feel terrible. Like it's my extravagence and he gets no gain from it and still ends up down at the yard every day helping me.

Pros to New Horse
    My Other Half can Ride her
    She is very easy going and push button
    she's a mare (foals)
    She's young
    Good doer, thus less expensive
    100% load shoe clip catch etc
    It would make my other half happy
    No more fighting with a horse just to bring in/groom/ride

Negs to New Horse
    Probably too easy going for me.
    I'm used to 16hh+ horses, she's a 15.1 cob. I'm worried I'll look daft.

Pos to Jasper
    I've had him for a few months and turned him around a lot in that time.
    I feel a bit bonded to him and feel good around him.
    When he wants to be he is a lovely horse.

Negs to Jasper
    Moodswings, one day he's fine, the next he wants to kill me.
    Scares my other half.
    Scares other people on the yard, has bitten two people in the last week.
    I fight with him about something every day.
    Bad doer, really expensive to feed and care for.
    Older (13) So not much of a competitive career.
    Can't travel or load.
    He's lazy and refuses to do any sort of schooling and will try to buck me off.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like you already know what to do. Plus, can this mare compete? I know it's always terrible saying goodbye to a horse; I'm in absolute tears for weeks every time. But sometimes it's the better choice, for both of you. Perhaps Jasper would be happier doing something else?

Take your time, and good luck with it... I know it's an awful decision.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    The mare is 6 and fully fit, so she'd be very happy competing. I'm not sure what I'd do with her though, I'm worried by how small she is! She certainly won't be an event horse which is what I originally wanted, but then again I'm going into RAF training in July, so maybe I should shelve my competition life until next year Hunting she is fab at, which is something I enjoy.

Bah I just don't know. I've put off going to the yard today as I'm a bit depressed by the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    Woo-hoo! Hi Guys!

I live in Cheshire in term time cos i'm a vet student, and Sheffield on the edge of the peak district in the holidays. My horse is a 16.1 hh pure bred bay leopard appaloosa due to foal soon:

http://spaces.msn.com/eleacaster/photos/?_c02_owner=1

and as you can see, together we enjoy in hand showing (filllies, colour, hunter).

In term time I'm a part time instructor at Wirral Riding School and my favourite aspects of riding are hacks out in good countryside, showjumping, drill riding and polo. This is my 14th year of riding!! and My first year having a horse and I like doing lots of other horsey things too like show grooming, fence judging, Stewarding and natural horsemanship.

[ridehor]

ReputationRep:
    Blackhawk, its a really tricky decision. To be honest you don't sound yourself that keen on either if that makes sense. There is no point buying another because of someone else if she's not what you want to be doing. Couldn't you look for others that will suit both of you...don't feel trapped into just buying the mare because you've been offered it now, there will be other horses out there that you can both enjoy and have fun on. It sounds like the fun might have stopped with Jasper and whilst you should be commended on doing so well with him maybe its someone elses turn to take him on and let you have a breather. I dunno?

Hey leggie lass...I can't see the pics!!

ReputationRep:
    I think she certainly could be an event horse! I event myself but I used to compete a 15.2 quarter horse gelding with bad hocks. Just depends on how bold and scopey she is. But if you're really not keen on her, don't mind me. I'm partial to the beautiful gray horse with untapped potential :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_tucker)
    Hows Frey ellewoods??
    Not great

He had an allergic reaction to his powered broad spectrum antibiotics, so he's all lumpy-skinned So we switched onto twice-daily penicillin injections, however after 2 injections he got wise to it, and is literally distraught by the prospect of being injected again, and is completely unmanageable, we simply cannot inject him safely. He bolts if outside, crushes us against the wall if inside, can't twitch him because his lips are all swollen due to broken tooth and infection, and he's a big strong 17.3hh - we simply cannot pin him down. So switched AGAIN and trying another powdered antibiotic. He had his first dose yesterday, so fingers crossed.

And his legs and sheath are so swollen due to the infection, so he's on anti-inflammatories as well. However there doesnt seem to be any improvement yet, he started on them last Friday, so we might put him in some stable bandages in a day or two if his legs dont improve.

So generally he's fed up, bored, (turnout is limited to one hour a day at our yard at the moment - long story :mad: ) and in a foul mood.

Thanks for asked though darling, I'll keep you posted xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to he ar about Frey Elle! :hugs:

Anyone in the Chester area know of anywhere cheap and local to the uni that I could ride at? Possibly even work?

Or even more ideally someone wishing to loan/share their horse around that time?!

I don't ask much at all!

I gave up my lunch at work to wash one of the school horses tails on Sat. He's a 16 3hh iron grey gelding with a lovely white tail. IT hadn't be washed all winter and was disgusting. He seemed to really enjoy it and his tail looked lush by the end of it. Also gave him a through groom to help him mault (Sp?)
    Very satisfying to see the end result!

ReputationRep:
    Whoever repped me for the picture of Cog getting better. Thanks. I worry about him a lot, so its nice to hear he is starting to look ok again.

ReputationRep:
    RE: Anyone in the Chester area know of anywhere cheap and local to the uni that I could ride at? Possibly even work?

Or even more ideally someone wishing to loan/share their horse around that time?!

Hiya, I'm from Wirral Riding Centre, approx 15 mins from chester and theres lots of good, flexible work going, PM me. Also if your on the circuit there's plenty rides going its big horse country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silens_fatuus)
    Sorry to he ar about Frey Elle! :hugs:
    Thanks for the hugs, I needed them

Update: he now cannot have ANY antibiotics. We cannot inject him. We have to give him pain relief and just ..... wait. WHAT?!!! :eek:
    I am thoroughly fed up, and I can assure you that Frey is too.

On a lighter note, Iv been asked to work an 11.2hh, just cos it needs work and Im small :rolleyes: so that should be lots of fun and keep me occupied while Frey recuperates!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    The mare is 6 and fully fit, so she'd be very happy competing. I'm not sure what I'd do with her though, I'm worried by how small she is! She certainly won't be an event horse which is what I originally wanted, but then again I'm going into RAF training in July, so maybe I should shelve my competition life until next year Hunting she is fab at, which is something I enjoy.

Bah I just don't know. I've put off going to the yard today as I'm a bit depressed by the whole thing.
    If you don't think she needs to be an event horse then don't worry about that aspect. How tall are you? a 15.1 cob can be quite wide so may take up some of your leg. Just a small indication: I am approx 5ft7 and my two arabs are 14.2's. I am a little on the tall side for them but i'm light and they cope with my height well. I also have long legs so it makes it more difficult to give accurate leg aids but they are narrow. Cobs are much chunkier and this mare is over 15hh. One of my friends is 5ft 10. Now, she would look silly on a 15.1 cos her legs are son long (35/36inch inside leg). She needs a 16hh horse but she is v. tall. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone here from the Derbyshire / Yorkshire area??

Im also a member on the newrider website (under same username) and they are having a group meet at Northfield Farm in Derbyshire in May - 25 pounds for 2 hours, just a fun get together really.

Not sure if I can make it yet due to exams / assignments, but just wondered if anyone else was interested?

ReputationRep:
    Depends when in May I finish on the 12th

ReputationRep:
    Who rides? Mee
    How long have you been riding for? erm since i was 6 till when i was about 12, only ride occasionally when i have the time now
    Are you competative (SJ, D, XC, etc.)? Or do you prefer to take it easy and have lessons and hacks? Nice n easy hacks please:p:
    Are you lucky enough to own/loan/share a Horse/Pony? Sadly no!

We should have a TSR horse riding club
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Well I'm 5'9 and my other half is just over 5'8. The mare is 15.1hh and I'm going to see her next month. Shes a good stocky mare so theres no doubt she can take my weight, it's just that I've never ridden anything under 15.2hh. However, you see adults riding ponies all the time, and if they can take your weight then what does it matter.

ReputationRep:
    The height thing shouldn't make much of a distance because the width will take up a lot of your leg...I'm 5ft7 and have Dales...need I say more! lol When I'm riding I ride a 14.3 and a 14.2 normally!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Well I'm 5'9 and my other half is just over 5'8. The mare is 15.1hh and I'm going to see her next month. Shes a good stocky mare so theres no doubt she can take my weight, it's just that I've never ridden anything under 15.2hh. However, you see adults riding ponies all the time, and if they can take your weight then what does it matter.
    And she sounds like she must have good feet, which is in my opinion the most important criterion for an event horse (besides willingness, obviously!).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraWalker)
    Depends when in May I finish on the 12th
    21st. PM me if you fancy it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 11, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.