The Student Room Group

Would it be viable to drop a subject after AS and take a different AS in year 13?

Hi,

I'm currently studying maths, further maths, physics and french. However, I don't want to do A2 french because it's a lot of history and culture and stuff, but I don't want to just have 3.5 A levels either - I want 4

Would it be viable to drop french at AS, and then take something like AS biology/economics in year 13? what do universities think about this?

Thanks
Reply 1
Then you still wouldn't have 4 a levels, you'd have 3 A2 levels and 2AS levels.

I don't really see the point to be honest? sorry :/

edit: And surely your offer will be based on your A2 grades, I.E 3As, 1A 2Bs. So again I dont see how having an extra AS level will help
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by NW86
Then you still wouldn't have 4 a levels, you'd have 3 A2 levels and 2AS levels.

I don't really see the point to be honest? sorry :/

yeah but 2ASs is equivalent to 1 A2, just like 2 half course GCSEs is basically a full course GCSE (when talking purely in terms of quantity of course)
Reply 3
If you don't like it - drop it.

3 A2's and 1 AS is perfectly fine, I don't really see the point in picking up another AS when you can just focus on those 3 A2's next year, along with you (presumably) having a good AS grade too.

Make the decision when you get your AS results, if they're what you wanted, go for it, but if you have resits to do and didn't do as well as intended, I wouldn't bother.

Good Luck :-)
Reply 4
Original post by Refrigerator
yeah but 2ASs is equivalent to 1 A2

Ummm no. That's not correct.

An AS in maths and an A2 in maths = a whole A level

An AS in maths and an AS in english = 2 AS levels.

There is a difference I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Original post by Refrigerator
yeah but 2ASs is equivalent to 1 A2, just like 2 half course GCSEs is basically a full course GCSE (when talking purely in terms of quantity of course)

I just lol'd at that.

So a Sociology As + History As makes an A Level somehow? lol ..

Quick Reply

Latest