Anorexia, Bulimia and treatments

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Does anyone have any info on eating disorders and therapy...or drug treatment?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Hi, We have to do this in Psychology, is that what this is for? I can help a bit with this, but not extremely in depth!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Well i just need help with research thats all...any websites where i can find studies...etc!!
Jacquie
Badges: 0
Report 16 years ago
Hi. Am revising this at the moment. Have had to look at my notes for you, but have not found much actually!
On psy. research look at Hamilton & Waller who looked into media influence involvement with AN & BN. You'll find it mentioned in your R.Gross text book.
On the biological research, I can't remember any names but there's two studies which stick out for me - the CCK hormone which was found by looking at cows - and it makes you feel full. Anorexics were found to have more of CCK in their bloodstreams. Also, a few studies have been done with twins where MZ twins have a 50% concordance rate for AN (in other words, were 50% more - or less!- likely to develop AN than DZ twins).
Favia found that seratonin levels were lower in BN sufferers, and by eating more carbohydrates, it increased these levels - so maybe it's the body's way of demanding more seratonin?
Good luck with your exams!
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I have quite a bit of info on this, please ask exactly what u want to know and i can help you, there's too much to just put down here if most of it is irrelevant to you, is it just treatment info u want? or causes of the diseases?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (162)
15.58%
Uncertainty around my education (170)
16.35%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (100)
9.62%
Isolating with family (71)
6.83%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (39)
3.75%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.65%
Loneliness (103)
9.9%
Financial worries (46)
4.42%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (95)
9.13%
Exposure to negative news/social media (74)
7.12%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.65%

Watched Threads