Turn on thread page Beta

How hard to get a 1st? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElWilson)
    How much social life are we talking about when people say you will have to take some time of it?
    There is no magic formula which, if followed, will render certain the attainment of a First class degree.

ReputationRep:
    How much social life are we talking about when people say you will have to take some time of it?
    I know people who got a first, and others who will almost certainly get one, and they have as much of a social life as anyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Going to be taking Management or Business Admin at either Bath, Nottingham or Warwick. How hard exactly is it to get a 1st degree? What do you have to dedicate towards it? etc.

Thanks
    It all depends on what uni you attend, how smart you are, and how much effort you put in, plus what you're like in exams.

ReputationRep:
    i think that although a social life and getting a first don't have to be separate, it will be pretty difficult if you do go out a lot (i'd say that going out and getting drunk at least 3 times a week would count as this).

ReputationRep:
    This thread has been hijacked.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how easy you find the course or how much you understand it and that you are organised you could get it easily IMO.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - but what does IMO mean?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry - but what does IMO mean?
    "In my opinion"

ReputationRep:
    Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    My brother got a first in history. He said you don't necessarily need to read reams and reams of material, you just need to read the 'right' material. And keep to deadlines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poison Ivy)
    It depends how easy you find the course or how much you understand it and that you are organised you could get it easily IMO.
    And how good your memory is. In fact, I would say that is the single most important thing (assuming average intelligence).

I got a 70+ in all my modules last year, and understand everything we have done this year, but whether I can cram it all into my head is another matter! Perhaps other subjects are different, but biology is incredibly memory-demanding!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    And how good your memory is. In fact, I would say that is the single most important thing (assuming average intelligence).

I got a 70+ in all my modules last year, and understand everything we have done this year, but whether I can cram it all into my head is another matter! Perhaps other subjects are different, but biology is incredibly memory-demanding!
    you are very consistent with your marks, with me, it ranges from getting 45 - 84, so even tho, i got 84 in 3 modules, i also got three 3rd. This is why i am gonna get either a 2:1 or 2:2

to get a 1st, its all about consistency

ReputationRep:
    I asked my teacher and she said you've either got it or you havn't, it takes something special to get a 1st beyound just pure hardwork. Although you still have to work hard though, she did 5hours+ per day for her first.

ReputationRep:
    5+ hours a day isn't a lot...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    5+ hours a day isn't a lot...
    I think you just fell down a sarchasm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)

I find memory a big problem. A lot of the time I just can't go into the details needed because I can't remember it, and its frustrating because I do generally understand it. Luckily the this semester is more coursework heavy, so hopefully that will help.

ReputationRep:
    hmm - i have lectures 9-5 most days, then work until around 2am during the week, bar tuesdays when i have rugby at 2 then a piss up, then I do on average atleast 8 hours a day at weekends, so - no, it most certainly is not a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    you are very consistent with your marks, with me, it ranges from getting 45 - 84, so even tho, i got 84 in 3 modules, i also got three 3rd. This is why i am gonna get either a 2:1 or 2:2

to get a 1st, its all about consistency
    Yeah I agree. IMO, to get a first you have to work hard throughout your degree, instead of just a few months before the exam. This includes the first year, because if you don't know the basics then you can't expect to do as well in the following years (from a science course point of view where knowledge builds on itself).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikerx23)
    hmm - i have lectures 9-5 most days, then work until around 2am during the week, bar tuesdays when i have rugby at 2 then a piss up, then I do on average atleast 8 hours a day at weekends, so - no, it most certainly is not a lot.
    That is only 16 hours a week outside of contact time. We are advised to do at least 30 hours outside of our contact time.

ReputationRep:
    Is it? I think you should do your calculations again - that is 16 hours at the weekend, on average in a night i will do about 7-8 hours, so it is a hell of a lot more than 16 hours of contact time, it is also a hell of a lot more than 30.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.