Black people using sunbeds ?

Watch
dennisraymondsmith
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
This one is mainly for all the black folk on tsr but anyone can get involved

So I'm chillin ,sitting next too my wifeys sister and she said to her friend "it's so cold outside I should have jumped on a sunbed" so I said to her why would you jump on a sun bed ? (she's light skin) and then her friend jumps in (she is black) and says "why not I go on them all the time"

So i'm there thinking she was just talking a load of hot air but then she said she goes on it every few weeks because it's good for your skin and gives you a healthy glow and gets rid of spots etc

She then pointed out to me that black people's skin is designed to be in the sun and needs uv to stay healthy etc

Anyone else know black people that do this?

Btw this girl was brought up in a strict African household and she is not one to socialize outside her race before people label her a bounty or a coconut ( Not that there is anything wrong with that btw but yeah )
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 9 years ago
I've used them before in the hope of getting my lips the same colour. I was... unsuccessful.
sb492
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
That is so weird! I don't think she needs to do that. She's putting herself at risk still and you get UV rays even in winter :/
natty_d
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
LOL the weather isn't that bad!

Sounds a bit odd to me - why use a sunbed when you've got a permanent tan
tomatoslayer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i'm just confused..
PendulumBoB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Do black people need suntan lotion?
Lewis :D
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by PendulumBoB)
I wonder this too!
rlw31
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't know about suntan lotion, but I used used basic sun cream since my shoulders got burnt when I was on holiday.
CantThinkOfaUsername
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, apparantly they do.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5219752.stm
I'm not sure how reliable it is but this article explains that very dark skin has a natural SPF of 13 but at least SPF 15 is recommended to prevent UV damage, so sunscreen would still be useful.
Foghorn Leghorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Lewis :D)
I wonder this too!

Yes!

Black skin doesn't make you immune to UV damage, the higher amount of melanin just makes it less sensitive to the sun.

My aunt is black an burns like **** when she's on holiday.

OP that lady is right in saying black people/people with higher melanin in their skin need higher amounts of UV to get a sufficient intake of vitamin c, however sunbeds are not the answer. She is talking complete bull****, using a sunbed is not healthy every once and a while at all. She might have black skin but using sunbeds will increase the chances of skin cancer dramatically for her no matter what skin colour she is. There are safer ways of getting extra UV and vitamin c in your body.
PendulumBoB
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by rlw31)
I don't know about suntan lotion, but I used used basic sun cream since my shoulders got burnt when I was on holiday.
(Original post by CantThinkOfaUsername)
Yeah, apparantely they do.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/5219752.stm
I'm not sure how reliable it is but this article explains that very dark skin has a natural SPF of 13 but at least SPF 15 is recommended to prevent UV damage, so suntan lotion would still be useful.
(Original post by Foghorn Leghorn)
Yes!

Black skin doesn't make you immune to UV damage, the higher amount of melanin just makes it less sensitive to the sun.

My aunt is black an burns like **** when she's on holiday.

OP that lady is right in saying black people/people with higher melanin in their skin need higher amounts of UV to get a sufficient intake of vitamin c, however sunbeds are not the answer. She is talking complete bull****, using a sunbed is not healthy every once and a while at all. She might have black skin but using sunbeds will increase the chances of skin cancer dramatically for her no matter what skin colour she is. There are safer ways of getting extra UV and vitamin c in your body.

Thanks.

I have wondered this for too long.
King Leonidas
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yes, it is also advised they drink Guiness.

Research it!
Rant
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Why would anyone use a sunbed?
theoferdinand
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Doesn't she mean heat rather than sun ? because black people cannot walk outside their houses without a good few layers and gloves in winter because our skin gets dry so quick where as , for instance white people can walk outside with just a t shirt and sandals and be fine , thats why we have to cream our skin because any little bit of cold will mean our skin will get dry
Foghorn Leghorn
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by theoferdinand)
Doesn't she mean heat rather than sun ? because black people cannot walk outside their houses without a good few layers and gloves in winter because our skin gets dry so quick where as , for instance white people can walk outside with just a t shirt and sandals and be fine , thats why we have to cream our skin because any little bit of cold will mean our skin will get dry
Tempreature tolerance has nothing to do with skin colour, it's purly down to the individual and his/her body's ability to adjust. Just like when people move from cooler climates to hotter climates they say it takes roughly 4 days to adjust apparently. :dontknow:
natty_d
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I use it sometimes!
^^^HHH^^^
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I actually think that that black people do tan quite well - although using a sunbed is such a bad idea. I remember a friend of mine, whose black, coming back from holiday and she tanned really beautifully. I think people think it odd that black people can tan, but they do!

Also, as far as I know, yes they do require suntan lotion just like the rest of us.
AspiringGenius
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would lol

But sun beds are so dangerous.
Winning
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by dennisraymondsmith)
black people's skin is designed to be in the sun and needs uv to stay healthy etc
I smell a religious fundamentalist
Maidintheuk
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I use them. Living in the UK winter weather makes your skin dull. I even go a few shades lighter. I like when my skin has a dark rich sunkissed colour like i just arrived from the caribbean or Africa.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (386)
56.76%
I don't have everything I need (294)
43.24%

Watched Threads