The Student Room Group

Is EMA fair?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Circumstances. Meh.

Fact of the matter is, if everyone is doing the same they should all get the same.

I could do with financial assistance for everyday things like dinner money, travel, paper etc but I don't get it. If there are trips I have to make do without because apparently, my household income (one wage) is too high, yet amazingly, my parents can't afford to help me out with stuff like this.

It's exactly the same as University financial arrangements; rediculously idealistic and totally unfair.
Reply 241
True true, but then those who recieve EMA are even worse off than yourself. If your parents are struggling to pay for you, how much harder is it for those parents whose children are recieving EMA.
Reply 242
jbfergie
True true, but then those who recieve EMA are even worse off than yourself. If your parents are struggling to pay for you, how much harder is it for those parents whose children are recieving EMA.

I see your point, but the fact of the matter is that my parents can't be that better off if they are finding it equally as impossible.
Reply 243
i understand but they're obviously earning over 30k which is a few k more than mine. Theres got to be a cut off point somewhere.
Reply 244
I agree, but there should also be equal opportunities from everyone.
Reply 245
I don't think your quite getting the drift of what i'm saying. The government has been stupid to implement this whole thing but their flawed thinking was to create equal opportunites for everyone. Your parents are more able to support you in their eyes than others. Those parents such as mine who are earning less than 30K are less likely to be able to support their kids.
Reply 246
I know exactly what you are saying.

I'm just saying that clearly, they haven't thought it out very well.
Reply 247
i get £20 ema a week and every penny + some more goes on books, travel, food, equipment costs (i do photgraphy), ema is not pointless at all, and those saying it is might want to try getting to college when you dont have a job and your parents give you nothing to go to college, without it i very much doubt i would be able to go to get the education i want

i would also add it greatly encourages atendance, i know many people that have not once purposly missed a lesson as they new if they did they wouldnt get any money the following week

the system is a little unfair - the fact the my parents now earn under the limit needed for £30 a week but its based on the year befores earnings

its also based on income - not how much money you actually have - ie, a freind of mine gets 30 pounds a week and 20 pounds from his dad, so obviously hes not going to spend 50 pounds a week on college costs

ema is a valuable and much appreciated weekly income that allows people in the kinda area that i live in to actually want to better thenselves and not just get stuck in the same old dead end job routine
m3csl2004
i get £20 ema a week and every penny + some more goes on books, travel, food, equipment costs (i do photgraphy), ema is not pointless at all, and those saying it is might want to try getting to college when you dont have a job and your parents give you nothing to go to college, without it i very much doubt i would be able to go to get the education i want

i would also add it greatly encourages atendance, i know many people that have not once purposly missed a lesson as they new if they did they wouldnt get any money the following week

the system is a little unfair - the fact the my parents now earn under the limit needed for £30 a week but its based on the year befores earnings

its also based on income - not how much money you actually have - ie, a freind of mine gets 30 pounds a week and 20 pounds from his dad, so obviously hes not going to spend 50 pounds a week on college costs

ema is a valuable and much appreciated weekly income that allows people in the kinda area that i live in to actually want to better thenselves and not just get stuck in the same old dead end job routine

Apart from the dodgy tactics EMA used to stop me getting the £10 a week i should be getting, as you can read in a previous post of mine on here, i have another problem with this. The people who are getting £10 a week and are close to the 30K limit are actually getting more money than i am, especially since i have 4 siblings, thus unbalancing the whole system. Because of the dodgy tactics used by EMA i have missed out on hundreds of pounds that i am entitled to under the law, whilst there are apparently thousands of people scamming the money out of EMA, and people who are fairly getting it, despite being in a better financial situation than myself. This does sound selfish, but it's just i'm bloody pissed off that i have missed out on this because some EMA guy thinks my family's car is worth £5000! and for some reason should be added to our income?!

The entire EMA scheme is flawed. The methods by which it is decided who gets the payments are useless and open to fraud. The only factor they take into account is parental income, which on its own is pretty useless. And the fact that quite literally, a person with 1 penny less than £30K will get £10 a week, whereas a person with 1 penny more than 30K gets nothing. Not to mention the very questionable methods used by EMA to try and avoid payment wherever possible.

The whole reason for creating the scheme is nonsensical rubbish. The main idea was to try and increase the number of students staying on to sit A-levels by providing them with a small sort of income to do it. However, i very much doubt there is a single person who's decision to stay on and do A-levels has been the result of the fact that they can get EMA payments. Especially since anybody, even in a minimum wage job, could earn a lot more by leaving school than they could through EMA. Yes, i'm sure it does help a lot of students, but the fact is the system is a shambles.

I have even written to my MP in a desperate attempt to try and resolve one of my main issues with the EMA scheme, why the number of dependent children is not also taken into account along with the parental income, since this is of course a major issue when it comes to what amount of the income is being used to support a child. The reply......the usual politician bullsh*t, saying how it has nothing to do with the number of children in a family (yet some how it is related to the family income!?) then some more stuff not evenly remotely linked to my question, and so all in all they don't know what they're talking about. Not that i expected much else.

I have nothing against EMA in principal, although it may not achieve what the government wants it to (afterall what does?!) i am sure it does help some students, but the fact remains that others are abusing the system at the expense of the taxpayer, since the system it seems, is quite easy to manipulate, whilst many more are not benefiting from the system when they should be, and all because of the huge flaws in the process of deciding who gets EMA, and the seemingly relentless efforts of the EMA to avoid paying wherever possible.

Rant over :smile:
Hi Nel!! i don't think it's fair because people who get it don't spend all of it on stuff for school. helen
Reply 250
Thanks for your wise words Helen
JaDaAu
Apart from the dodgy tactics EMA used to stop me getting the £10 a week i should be getting, as you can read in a previous post of mine on here, i have another problem with this. The people who are getting £10 a week and are close to the 30K limit are actually getting more money than i am, especially since i have 4 siblings, thus unbalancing the whole system. Because of the dodgy tactics used by EMA i have missed out on hundreds of pounds that i am entitled to under the law, whilst there are apparently thousands of people scamming the money out of EMA, and people who are fairly getting it, despite being in a better financial situation than myself. This does sound selfish, but it's just i'm bloody pissed off that i have missed out on this because some EMA guy thinks my family's car is worth £5000! and for some reason should be added to our income?!

The entire EMA scheme is flawed. The methods by which it is decided who gets the payments are useless and open to fraud. The only factor they take into account is parental income, which on its own is pretty useless. And the fact that quite literally, a person with 1 penny less than £30K will get £10 a week, whereas a person with 1 penny more than 30K gets nothing. Not to mention the very questionable methods used by EMA to try and avoid payment wherever possible.

The whole reason for creating the scheme is nonsensical rubbish. The main idea was to try and increase the number of students staying on to sit A-levels by providing them with a small sort of income to do it. However, i very much doubt there is a single person who's decision to stay on and do A-levels has been the result of the fact that they can get EMA payments. Especially since anybody, even in a minimum wage job, could earn a lot more by leaving school than they could through EMA. Yes, i'm sure it does help a lot of students, but the fact is the system is a shambles.

I have even written to my MP in a desperate attempt to try and resolve one of my main issues with the EMA scheme, why the number of dependent children is not also taken into account along with the parental income, since this is of course a major issue when it comes to what amount of the income is being used to support a child. The reply......the usual politician bullsh*t, saying how it has nothing to do with the number of children in a family (yet some how it is related to the family income!?) then some more stuff not evenly remotely linked to my question, and so all in all they don't know what they're talking about. Not that i expected much else.

I have nothing against EMA in principal, although it may not achieve what the government wants it to (afterall what does?!) i am sure it does help some students, but the fact remains that others are abusing the system at the expense of the taxpayer, since the system it seems, is quite easy to manipulate, whilst many more are not benefiting from the system when they should be, and all because of the huge flaws in the process of deciding who gets EMA, and the seemingly relentless efforts of the EMA to avoid paying wherever possible.

Rant over :smile:

How exactly are the tactics dodgy? I am also unsure why you say your family car has been added to your parent's income. Your car is a current asset, therefore it shouldn't be included. That makes no sense. The fact is, your moaning because your not entitled to EMA. Deal with it. How are people abusing the system? If a student lives at home with his mother who is on a low-income whilst their father is in a well paid job, then it shouldn't matter, that is their choice. That is quite simply not manipulation, you haven't told your parents to split up! The EMA do not attempt to avoid paying, otherwise the system wouldn't have been set up. How do you know it hasn't achieved Government's intention. Include some figures in your argument instead of moaning, and perhaps I will agree with some of your unfounded points.
Reply 252
probally not, since you're so up my arse about it. but since when did the TSR demographic ever come near to the real picture of british 16-18 education.

Says the person who couldnt find a single reason for his statements...

Maybe someday you will find out what the word argument means and be able to contribute to threads as opposed to mindless crap. And maybe TSR isnt proportional, do the mods actively seek and force any minorities to sign up?? Of course not, its our choice and the overwhelming majority are incredible people and not just aged 16-18 but they can still put forward a valid opinion.
jr2007
Says the person who couldnt find a single reason for his statements...

Maybe someday you will find out what the word argument means and be able to contribute to threads as opposed to mindless crap. And maybe TSR isnt proportional, do the mods actively seek and force any minorities to sign up?? Of course not, its our choice and the overwhelming majority are incredible people and not just aged 16-18 but they can still put forward a valid opinion.

boo diggidy hoo, do you want andrex or cleenex tissues, my dear? i don't do internet 'arguments', as you put it.
Ben_Stephenson
How exactly are the tactics dodgy? I am also unsure why you say your family car has been added to your parent's income. Your car is a current asset, therefore it shouldn't be included. That makes no sense. The fact is, your moaning because your not entitled to EMA. Deal with it. How are people abusing the system? If a student lives at home with his mother who is on a low-income whilst their father is in a well paid job, then it shouldn't matter, that is their choice. That is quite simply not manipulation, you haven't told your parents to split up! The EMA do not attempt to avoid paying, otherwise the system wouldn't have been set up. How do you know it hasn't achieved Government's intention. Include some figures in your argument instead of moaning, and perhaps I will agree with some of your unfounded points.

No the fact is i am entitled to EMA, and you have said in your post you agreed with me. You said my car should not have been included, but EMA decided it should be for some reason, thus pushing us above the limit.
I live in a family with 5 dependent children, how is it fair that this is not taken into account, compared with a family with one child.

I never said the scenario you have quoted from god knows where was manipulation, if you would care to read some of the previous posts you will see how some people have, as they admit, abused the system to get EMA.

If EMA do not try to avoid paying, explain why they added my family's car to the income, which as you said yourself, they shouldn't have, and as a result they said i was ineligible for EMA.

I am simply stating my views from what i have seen and heard from the many people i know who are on EMA, i never stated them as facts, but please forgive me for having an opinion. If you care so much about figures then may i suggest you go an find them?

I am moaning because i and my brother are both legally enititled to receiving EMA, and yet we are not receiving it through no fault of our own.

And may i suggest that if you are going to attempt to counter the points made in my post that you actually use the points made in my post rather than making up your own ones as if i wrote them. Try reading my post, it may help your arguement.
Reply 255
=I know it's meant to encourage people from poorer backgrounds into higher education but i still feel it is an unfair system.

Its damn unfair!!!!!!
Just because your family earns a certain amount a year, that doesnt mean that money is spent on you!!!!
JaDaAu

I am moaning because i and my brother are both legally enititled to receiving EMA, and yet we are not receiving it through no fault of our own.

Have you actually tried phoning them and making them aware of the mistake, asked to speak to a supervisor? You might get somewhere if you concentrated that 'moaning' at the EMA people, and not those that can't help you with your situation.
zippy_gerbil
Have you actually tried phoning them and making them aware of the mistake, asked to speak to a supervisor? You might get somewhere if you concentrated that 'moaning' at the EMA people, and not those that can't help you with your situation.

Have you thought for perhaps a second that maybe, just maybe i thought of that and did it!?

Basically they wouldn't tell us anything and avoided the issue that they had added something to our income which chould not under any circumstances have been added. I gave up eventually since i figured i wasn't going to get anywhere with them before the end of the school year anyway. I do apologise for posting my thoughts about EMA being unfair on a thread called 'Is EMA fair', how foolish of me, i will be more careful in future.
Reply 258
EMA is a good policy even if it is not "fair".

If just one child, who would have not gone to 6th Form without the £30 they get, gets the money and goes on to university, does some beneficial work for mankind such as finding a cure for a widespread disease, then EMA will have been worth it. This is undisputable.
Baal_k
This is undisputable.

Wrong, it is very disputable as the several pages of this thread show.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending