Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nel48)
    No one is 'making them work' its purely up to them, but if they do, they'll receive higher wages. Although this would actually be unfair to higher income background students who will work the same hours but only get half the pay....equal opportunities law? I think a person of the same age doing the smae job must get the smae wage if i am correct?

I still think a more feasible idea would be to have an 'ema card' which gives money off stationary, books, transport etc and would cu the price off of school trips.
    An EMA card how degrading would that be? All your friends are paying with cash and you bring out a 'special' card to pay for things with. Also some shops wouldn't accept them like bakeries where you buy your dinner etc.

Just because you come from a low income family doesn't mean that you should be treated any differently from those who aren't.

ReputationRep:
    It's absoulute rubbish, my cousin gets it and he goes to a PRIVATE school which is around 15,000 a year anyway! Plus he owns a brand new car n lives in a dam good house just because his mum dusnt work. Fair enoguh give it to those really under priveleged people but still don't tell me some council estate chavs are going to go out and spend it on anything resembling education becase its a fact that they won't and don't.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by button16)
    Just because you come from a low income family doesn't mean that you should be treated any differently from those who aren't.
    So do you support EMA or oppose it? Cos that kinda suggests that EMA shouldn't exist at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by button16)
    An EMA card how degrading would that be? All your friends are paying with cash and you bring out a 'special' card to pay for things with. Also some shops wouldn't accept them like bakeries where you buy your dinner etc.

I really don't see how that would be degrading. Is a UCAS or student card degrading just coz you get money off?

Low income families have to be treated 'differently' in order to help fund their education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    So do you support EMA or oppose it? Cos that kinda suggests that EMA shouldn't exist at all.
    I think my last comment kind of came out wrong, I was meaning it in the sense that you wouldn't want to use something none of your friends did. Think of the own clothes day at school, you turn up wearing something that your grandma knitted and you'd be gossiped about. No-one wants to walk around with something that labels them from coming from a low income family, it would be quite embarrassing. The way EMA is set up avoids these problems. I do receive EMA and also have a part time job, so I think it is a good idea but some flaws need to be ironed out so people can not take advantage of the system.

With EMA though you don't get money off, you get things paid for so a discount card wouldn't really work.

ReputationRep:
    Just have an allowance, that you would claim.
    'Can I have £13.47 to cover what I spent on a text book and a set of file dividers, heres the receipt.'
    Up to a limit of £10/£20/£30 per week. Whats wrong with that?

ReputationRep:
    That would be very complicated and not a feasible system to run i don't think. That wouldn't help with transport costs either.

Would you have to bring in your reciepts for stationary/books/lunch/transport everyday?

ReputationRep:
    The goverment would literally go crazy if that was the case.

ReputationRep:
    The proiblem with EMA is that it is too easy for those that dont deserve it to get it and too difficult for thoser that do deserve it to get it. I'm not having a go at those that do get it but i think its truly unfair that someone who doesnt even turn up to skoo, still gets it but people like me, who do turn up, dont get nethn. Can someone please explain the Governments explanation for this? it boggles the mind!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninja463)
    The proiblem with EMA is that it is too easy for those that dont deserve it to get it and too difficult for thoser that do deserve it to get it. I'm not having a go at those that do get it but i think its truly unfair that someone who doesnt even turn up to skoo, still gets it but people like me, who do turn up, dont get nethn. Can someone please explain the Governments explanation for this? it boggles the mind!!!
    But, How do you prove who deserves it?
    Also most students will not get EMA if they dont turn up to school as that violates the terms of recieving it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    But, How do you prove who deserves it?
    Also most students will not get EMA if they dont turn up to school as that violates the terms of recieving it.
    Yes but you don't even need a doctors note to say you're ill. Therefore all you have to do is ring school and say you're ill and you can skive off. There's no way of checking - yes you need a certain attendance % but it doesn't stop people going shopping for the day and still getting EMA - i know people who do.

Yet another fault with the system....Well done Labour.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    Yes but you don't even need a doctors note to say you're ill. Therefore all you have to do is ring school and say you're ill and you can skive off. There's no way of checking - yes you need a certain attendance % but it doesn't stop people going shopping for the day and still getting EMA - i know people who do.

Yet another fault with the system....Well done Labour.:rolleyes:
    Actually with my system there were pretty tough, You had to ring up yes, also you neede a note from parent/doctor for absences longer than 3 days. People skive with or without Ema, Yes in occasions they can but just because the odd people do it, why should the rest of the recievers who attend all there hours of lectures a week (Also a certain amount of hours a week need to be obtained if you have no valid excuse for absence.) Have to suffer. It is not a system without flaws but It ha in place some stratergies to try and minimise this and i ema recievers knew what was good for them they wouldnt risk it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Konstantine)
    These arguments are so fantastically circular, and it's clear people haven't got a clue about the EMA criteria, but feel in a place to criticise it anyway.
    You have to sign a contract stating the amount of hours you MUST be in school for. There are other restrictions on whether or not you'll get your money too. Do you honestly not think teachers will catch on if you're skiving 90% of your lessons?
    Also, you have to pay for doctor's notes. Someone who is on EMA is hardly going to be able to fork out a tenner in order to get their thirty.
    I'm not talking about that extreme, obviously then the system would work. Its people who every now and again, say once a every couple of months, have a day off to go shopping. I don't care if they do, its the fact that they still get their EMA as they ring up and say their ill. They still have over 90% attendance in all, so they're meeting the requirments. Its just blatantly not fair that they can go shopping and ironically still get paid £30 for doing it.

It would be much fairer if you lost your EMA for any absence, if it was due to illness for more than 3 days then payments would be as normal. EMA fails in its objective of stopping people skiving as this low level stuff continues, yet this is precisely the stuff it could be most effective against it was done better.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanx for the rep, though i do believe this idea would have some effect. Yes it might hurt some people, but i believe it would discourage people from having a few days off.

ReputationRep:
    It is an idea, But the fact is there is some days you Just cannot make it Ill, I remember last year I Pulled my neck muscles out (Yipee!) On a friday and so was off all day, and Luckily could go back on the Mon.. But why should I have my EMA taken away for the Full Mon-Thur I worked and attended. Its one way of looking at it but it may lead to people dragging themselves into college when they shouldnt, or just are plain Ill - extremely infecting others? (Hmm maybe not.. anyway.)

ReputationRep:
    I have pretty severe (and oft unpredictable) insomnia-type sleep problems, which means that sometimes it's impossible for me to get up in time to get into school on time, and so I miss a half day from time to time. I do try really hard to get into school whenever I can, even if I do end up feeling dead for the rest of the day. These do add up, and often I end up getting my EMA cancelled. I've been told that with a doctor's note I can still have my EMA paid, but they were still very difficult about it, it required a couple of trips to the doctor, paying £15 for the letter and then a letter from a parents every time I'm late, and on the rare occasion that I can't come in for a full day I have to phone the school as soon as I can to let them know. I tell you all this just to let you know that it is particularly difficult to skive and get EMA.

Personally, I hate not going into school. Partly because I miss seeing everyone, but almost entirely because I get so far behind just for missing one lesson that I have to work around the clock to catch up sometimes. I could never skive just because I wanted to go shopping or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Podge)
    i think it is sooo stupid...i dont recieve it...but god, people at my sixth form have bought cars...like 2 thousand pound cars with it....paid for holidays....shopping i.e clothes....anything apart from things to help you at school!
    I am with you. EMA is a deeply flawed system. I don't recieve it, I currently am trying to hold down two jobs, as well as helping out at home AND 3 AS levels. I can't cope at all!

It is very unfair I have to go to these lengths to give myself a basic social life and buy lunches and bus fares when there are 100 odd chavs at my school who do 1 A2 level and get £30 and do nothing.

It is unfair that people like me don't get it yet we have to work harder for money they get for free and we have to work harder because we do more subjects.

I loath EMA

HairsprayQueen:suitc:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HairsprayQueen)
    I am with you. EMA is a deeply flawed system. I don't recieve it, I currently am trying to hold down two jobs, as well as helping out at home AND 3 AS levels. I can't cope at all!

It is very unfair I have to go to these lengths to give myself a basic social life and buy lunches and bus fares when there are 100 odd chavs at my school who do 1 A2 level and get £30 and do nothing.

It is unfair that people like me don't get it yet we have to work harder for money they get for free and we have to work harder because we do more subjects.

I loath EMA

HairsprayQueen:suitc:
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Why do you assume people who get EMA only do one subject? And of course there slackers.. Seems a bit stereotypical to me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes is it stereotypical, but at my college, moderately accurate.
    I know that there are people on EMA that work hard, do lots of hard subjects, etc
    BUT at my college the majority of people on EMA are complete losers, and its an excuse for them to get a lot of cash in their hand at the end of the week, that they can spend on anything.
    Which is why I think that you should have to claim back any college related expenses, that way, those of you that genuinly do deserve EMA and spend it on worthwhile stuff cant complain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GordonP)
    Yes is it stereotypical, but at my college, moderately accurate.
    I know that there are people on EMA that work hard, do lots of hard subjects, etc
    BUT at my college the majority of people on EMA are complete losers, and its an excuse for them to get a lot of cash in their hand at the end of the week, that they can spend on anything.
    Which is why I think that you should have to claim back any college related expenses, that way, those of you that genuinly do deserve EMA and spend it on worthwhile stuff cant complain.
    But the fact is people have experience from there college, But you cannot generalise that to the entire EMA recievers.. If that was entirely the case in colleges UK wide then I really dont think EMA would of passed the initial year.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.