Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emancipazione)
    The EMA doesn't work at all. I'm 17 and had to leave my family home earlier this year due to family problems and ended up having to live with my boyfriend for a few months. Having lost his job, this wasn't an ideal situation. However, I thought I'd at least be able to get EMA. Oh, how wrong I was...

Even though I'd been estranged from my parents, I wasn't allowed any EMA because my father refused to admit he'd allienated me to the government. If you live alone and have been abandoned by your parents, you can't get EMA unless you get income support, which will only be given to those whose parents are willing to tell the truth to social workers.

I feel the EMA has completely failed me. Even now, having returned home, I still feel cheated by it. I receive no EMA but my parents spend too much money and **** up all the time. Yesterday my shoes fell apart at school. We have enough money to put food on the table, but that extra £10, £20 or £30 a week would be a godsend. At least I wouldn't completely have to be a part of my parents' disregard for finance. The fact is that the EMA simply just does not reach all those that need it!
    True, EMA doesn not always get to everyone who needs it something that needs serious consideration and working. That sounds like such a horrible situation, I hope everything is on the road to getting better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    True, EMA doesn not always get to everyone who needs it something that needs serious consideration and working. That sounds like such a horrible situation, I hope everything is on the road to getting better.
    Thanks, it is quite a bit better now ^_^ But at the time it was pretty scary and nerve-racking!

I just wish the government would reassess the scheme so that it reaches more people that need it! Ideally, everyone should be given some amount.

I also find the bonus system really unfair: I know tons of people who work really hard but don't get EMA, so they don't get any bonuse - but I also know loads of people that don't try as hard and get loads of money from the bonus scheme! I've heard people say it feels like all their effort isn't getting any recognition at all.

ReputationRep:
    How exactly do they assess the effort put in for the bonus scheme? I put in my very best effort, but due to illness and fatigue I missed a lot of school, and consequently I didn't get it. I also know people who were woprking flat out and didn't receive it.

Overall, whilst I can see that EMA has it's faults, I think it is overall a good system, it just needs a couple of kinks ironed out.

(Btw emancipazione, that really sounds sucky, hope things are better, they need to sort problems like that out big time)

ReputationRep:
    In my college the Bonuses were awrded by the teachers of each student, You had to get every teacher you had sign a bonus form and it was entirely there choice wether they would sign it or nor - Hence any bad attitude, not trying hard, no homework or attendance may influence there desicion.

ReputationRep:
    I save my £30 EMA for university. I will have to get a job when I get to university because my parents can not afford to contribute anything towards my education. I'm not complaining, but EMA has made my future more secure and I imagine I would have postpone going to university this year if I did not have it. It makes me pretty angry when people stereotype the people who get EMA, my parents both work and I get As! Rant over!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humeiscool!)
    I save my £30 EMA for university. I will have to get a job when I get to university because my parents can not afford to contribute anything towards my education. I'm not complaining, but EMA has made my future more secure and I imagine I would have postpone going to university this year if I did not have it. It makes me pretty angry when people stereotype the people who get EMA, my parents both work and I get As! Rant over!
    So why should you get it and others shouldn't?

ReputationRep:
    Because my parents can't afford to contribute anything to my higher education, and very little to my education now (they fall way below the boundary to receive £30 a week), in fact if they didn't work and we claimed benefits, they would receive a little more than they earn now. It's unfair for some people who fall above the boundary, or people whose parents are richer but contribute less to their education, but I think a little compassion for those who do really need it would not go amiss.

ReputationRep:
    My friend gets EMA...she has two lessons in school a week (film studies and media) plus an after school class on thursdays. She gets £30 a week. I wouldn't mind if she saved it or helped her single mum out with it. But she goes shopping twice a week and buys stuff she doesn't need, including TWO mobile phones. Plus she's guna get uni paid for her, whereas all of my friends have to work so hard to buy what we want. I really don't like it. Another friend who get's it lives in a posh house in an expensive village and has a trampolene in his garden! somethings not right with the system!!!

But well done to ppl who save their EMA for uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected]!a)
    My friend gets EMA...she has two lessons in school a week (film studies and media) plus an after school class on thursdays. She gets £30 a week. I wouldn't mind if she saved it or helped her single mum out with it. But she goes shopping twice a week and buys stuff she doesn't need, including TWO mobile phones. Plus she's guna get uni paid for her, whereas all of my friends have to work so hard to buy what we want. I really don't like it. Another friend who get's it lives in a posh house in an expensive village and has a trampolene in his garden! somethings not right with the system!!!

But well done to ppl who save their EMA for uni!
    when you say 2 lessons, do you mean those 2 A-levels? Because when I did media it was at least 3 lessons a week on its own. The thing is this is a case of someone wasting EMA but you cannot apply this to all students, many EMA receivers also work hard to buy what they want and I hate the image that many people form is that we get it so much easier, yes some do show this abuse the of the system, But to tarr us all with the same brush can be insulting. I worked hard, I had a job throughout GCSE's and A-levels, and I got EMA and got what I needed. A Trampoline.. Randomness.

ReputationRep:
    I've seen EMA used in a good way, sadly it is mostly abused. A lot of my fellow sixth formers seem to be able to use theirs to get absolutely wasted on a Saturday night. Me, I don't qualify for the EMA and I do get by fine - I have a job - but if I had qualified for it I would have been able to get more art supplies and THAT would have been a tremendous amount of help.

As my dad says, he's paying for me and at least five of my friends to do their A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    Is EMA fair? Is if F**k!

Last year a female in our sixth form was screwing £30 a week out of the taxpayer for studying 1 psychology AS level which she later failed, in comparison to another student who was who was studying four AS levels inc. maths mech, biology, chemistry and physics. She didn't recieve ema because her residual household income was just over the set limit, her family also included three other siblings which her parents had to support. so she had to work to support her studies, finally achieving 3 A's and a C grade. had she not worked and recieved ema she possibly would have been going to Oxford this coming september... thats one theory anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorkHouse)
    had she not worked and recieved ema she possibly would have been going to Oxford this coming september... thats one theory anyway.
    another theory...

the fact that the first girl came from a family with a low income suggests that the support she receives from her family (not just financial) is less than that of the other girl (because face it, parents with low income jobs are unlikely to have good qualifications - although maybe other factors such as divorce, family commitments etc). So therefore, we have 1 girl studying 1 subject who comes from a family who wont support her as much as the other girl :confused: . And given the aim of the government is to get students from poorer backgrounds to go into higher education (and not reward academic success in general - as it can be argued that those from richer backgrounds will receive more reinforcement from their own families, and their own motivation to succeed (which can be linked to socioeconomic circumstances)).

The fact that girl 2 has AAAC shows that she is capible of success without any motivational techniques.

The fact that girl 1 has failed 1 subject shows that either 1. she is incapible of acheiving good grades through biological reasons (IQ etc - which is a load of **** - or better yet, read up on Gould and the second world war [review of Yerkes-Dodson] ) or 2. social circumstances.

Jeez, cant people stop complaining about EMA Sure it is abused, but the fact is the government has decided to implement it to encourage students to carry on into further education. If it is not working, then surely they will be thinking of changing it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    Jeez, cant people stop complaining about EMA Sure it is abused, but the fact is the government has decided to implement it to encourage students to carry on into further education. If it is not working, then surely they will be thinking of changing it? :confused:
    Maybe if the government realised the system was being abused they would do something about? Maybe everyone that is complaining should be talking to someone that can do something about it rather than whining on an internet forum? I suggest that everyone that feels the current system is unfair go and talk to an MP or similar.
    I dont get EMA, I dont have a problem with other people getting EMA. I do have a problem with people that really dont deserve EMA spending it on crap they really dont need.

Gordon

ReputationRep:
    There are 23! pages here where people have debated whether EMA is fair or not. Ultimately, yes there are problems with it that could be sorted out which would make it fairer, e.g. taking into account number of children in the family but it is a good idea because it has helped a great many people more than the number who exploit the system.

What is far worse are the lazy idiots where I live who have four or more children, six is very common, and never work! At least two children are diagnosed with ADHD or whatever the mother can convince the doctor to do (they have all their children tested, normal or not) and the mother receives Disability Living Allowance and Carer's Allowance for that child. Carer's Allowance goes up for each dependent you have and it doesn't matter whether they are healthy or not. For one child someone can receive something stupid like £650+ a month! I know a woman who has five children and is pregnant again, their income from benefits alone is over £33,000! She goes and spends £45 on having her nails done and wears beautiful clothes, drives a new car and has a lovely house. Her rent is paid for because it is a council house (not even on an estate) and she pays no council tax. That £33,000 is just for gas, electricity, tv, food and clothes. The children qualify for free school lunches too. My mum works and earns far less than this (I get £30 a week EMA)! Some of my friends parents both work full time and earn around £33000 (gross) so they don't even get £10 a week EMA yet lots of families like this one get this much money and more a year for doing nothing. If this woman and her partner went out to work they would bring home around £6,000 less (still need to pay for childcare) than they receive in benefits. I think the principle of "less eligibility" should be applied a little, it should not be substantially economically rewarding to be unemployed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saiyamana)
    another theory...

The fact that girl 1 has failed 1 subject shows that either 1. she is incapible of acheiving good grades through biological reasons (IQ etc - which is a load of **** - or better yet, read up on Gould and the second world war [review of Yerkes-Dodson] ) or 2. social circumstances.

If it is not working, then surely they will be thinking of changing it? :confused:
    the "social circumastances" of which you speak include the fact she had to work full time for the school holiday preceeding her exams just to support herself (and fund a missionary trip to the phillipines to work with and promote awareness of the plight of the country's street children) so her parents didn't have to as they have to raise three other siblings on just over £30,000 or whatever the threshold is.

The system is highly flawed. But...
    There's no doubt that it benefits the students who recieve it, but at what cost to the rest of the student population?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    when you say 2 lessons, do you mean those 2 A-levels? Because when I did media it was at least 3 lessons a week on its own. The thing is this is a case of someone wasting EMA but you cannot apply this to all students, many EMA receivers also work hard to buy what they want and I hate the image that many people form is that we get it so much easier, yes some do show this abuse the of the system, But to tarr us all with the same brush can be insulting. I worked hard, I had a job throughout GCSE's and A-levels, and I got EMA and got what I needed. A Trampoline.. Randomness.
    Yeh 2 lessons meant 2 subjects...and I understand that a lot of EMA students work hard for what they get (hence the *well done* at the end)...I wasn't having a go @ any one on here, just saying how most ppl I know do abuse it yet still come out on top!

:-) x

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its fair.
    This girl in my class at college has two horses, she went to private school and her brother is at private school and yet she gets ema.
    Her parents have also just bought her a pretty decent car. And yet she gets EMA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humeiscool!)
    Because my parents can't afford to contribute anything to my higher education, and very little to my education now (they fall way below the boundary to receive £30 a week), in fact if they didn't work and we claimed benefits, they would receive a little more than they earn now. It's unfair for some people who fall above the boundary, or people whose parents are richer but contribute less to their education, but I think a little compassion for those who do really need it would not go amiss.
    So does a young person whose parents choose not to support them financial above the basics of shelter and food deserve to recieve EMA. Why shouldn't a student earn the money they require for items such as travel and stationary?

ReputationRep:
    EMA does fail those people, undoubtedly. However, I think that in reality most parents who can afford to, contribute more than just the basics to their children's education, at least in terms of paying for trips and travel and things like that.

My parents CAN'T, therein lies the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorkHouse)
    in comparison to another student who was who was studying four AS levels inc. maths mech, biology, chemistry and physics. She didn't recieve ema because her residual household income was just over the set limit, her family also included three other siblings which her parents had to support. so she had to work to support her studies, finally achieving 3 A's and a C grade. had she not worked and recieved ema she possibly would have been going to Oxford this coming september... thats one theory anyway.
    My best friend did exactly the same A-levels (aswell as a furthur 5th As), Has 2 other siblings and also had a job and Got 4 A's and into oxford. You cannot blame lack of EMA in the case as it is just as mine is a case study, and case studies cannot be generalised to the mass population due to individual differences. It is just one theory, In general we cant look at the EMA to blame for peoples shortcommings, because what would be to blame 2 years ago? EMA hadnt even come into exsistance.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.