The Student Room Group

Is EMA fair?

Scroll to see replies

no it bloody well isnt. i hate EMA system and HATE the unfairness and now im going to be quite before i get warned for getting angry...:frown:
Reply 601
mc_hamster
Get a job damn it, I had to and countless others before you. I really hate the fact that I'm paying tax to fund things like this, it's crazy.

If you had read through the thread you would see many of us who recieved/recive ema also have jobs.
Hanzing
If you had read through the thread you would see many of us who recieved/recive ema also have jobs.

That just makes it worse, so you get paid plus the amount of free money you get from the government? That's crazy! So how come all students before you managed to pay their way but now for some reason they can't?

I also disagree with the system as it just means people are there for the money as apposed to get a good education. And don't say it doesn't happen because it does.

I'm never going to change my mind on this topic, no matter what anyone says.
Reply 603
mc_hamster
That just makes it worse, so you get paid plus the amount of free money you get from the government? That's crazy! So how come all students before you managed to pay their way but now for some reason they can't?

I also disagree with the system as it just means people are there for the money as apposed to get a good education. And don't say it doesn't happen because it does.

I'm never going to change my mind on this topic, no matter what anyone says.

I suppose that people may need both in order to survive is such a ridiculous idea to you? The idea is that it might of been that over the years students had to get jobs with such invasive hours that it effected their studies, such a huge volume compared to others in their age group it made it hard to attain a good grade, does that sound fair? Now a implement that allows them to work a minimal amount of hours just as other students who are from better off incomes do and its not fair. Who said students managed to pay their way before? How do you not know these studies just couldnt attend college.
No one says the system is perfect, im sure the goverment doesnt think so either.

Im not going to say people dont only go for the money, i sure they would its human nature, If everyone complaining aganist ema was offered it Id love to see who wouldnt take it - alot of the main created spite aganist it is that others dont get it. But ofhandingly ust singling out that people get it for the money hides others who get it and go to college because they need it. Also as said before (I seem to be repeating the same arguments over and over) Many colleges are making it as tough as possible to just turn up, doss about and get some money. Recievement is judged on many factors such as attedance, work grades and effort.

I'm open to debates and arguments everyone has, otherwise wheres the point?
"i'm never going to change my mind on this, no matter what any one says"

I'm sorry to be blunt, but what a ridiculous attitude!
Whoever neg repped me for saying i thought ema was unfair, please get a life. isnt the point of this to share our opinions? i just dont agree with the system, i think the initial idea was a good one, but too many people use their ema for the wrong things like shoes and clothes and alcohol! im not sayin all people do, but i know quite a few! for instance one boy in my year, his parents are divorced so hes eligible as his mum is a single earner. But his dad is wealthy and has just had a plasma tv put in his house etc and gives his son loads of money, yet the son still receives ema. thats why i think ema is unfair. so whoever neg repped me, please try to look at things from both sides in future.
Reply 606
Even though I'll get EMA when I get into sixth form next year, many of my friends won't, and in a few years time my step-sister won't either. Just because your parents earn more doesn't mean they can always afford to give it to their children, however necessary it is. People who recieve EMA also get the bonuses for reaching targets and good attendance etc. so even if they didn't give everyone EMA, surely everyone should be able to get the bonuses every now and again
Reply 607
xEmZx06
. People who recieve EMA also get the bonuses for reaching targets and good attendance etc. so even if they didn't give everyone EMA, surely everyone should be able to get the bonuses every now and again

I think that's a good idea, as Bonuses are quite a good initiative and I think that no harm would come from running it throughout the schools. Only problems would be the cost but surely some kind of system where only select pupils were picked for their grades, but mostly effort and achievement/advancement. (I would think It would be unfair to always give the top graders the bonuses as people can put a lot of effort in for a lot less grades.)
Probably not, is anything in life fair?
Reply 609
Hanzing
I think that's a good idea, as Bonuses are quite a good initiative and I think that no harm would come from running it throughout the schools. Only problems would be the cost but surely some kind of system where only select pupils were picked for their grades, but mostly effort and achievement/advancement. (I would think It would be unfair to always give the top graders the bonuses as people can put a lot of effort in for a lot less grades.)

If you look on here at the various statements made by people on the subject of bonuses you will see there are varying criteria. Some colleges/schools take it very seriously and require each teachers signiture others like mine simply go by whether your attenedence is above a certain percentage. It seems bunuses are applied in different ways depending on your school/college.(You can't surely suggest that a top graders shouldn't get the bonus because thyey can't get any better, where can you go from AAA)
Reply 610
JBacon
If you look on here at the various statements made by people on the subject of bonuses you will see there are varying criteria. Some colleges/schools take it very seriously and require each teachers signiture others like mine simply go by whether your attenedence is above a certain percentage. It seems bunuses are applied in different ways depending on your school/college.(You can't surely suggest that a top graders shouldn't get the bonus because thyey can't get any better, where can you go from AAA)

No thats not what I was suggesting, I mean that for example with two of my friends one naturally got A's with little to no effort wheras my other friend would work like anything and out in a lot of effort but would get a B. Its a case of perception really and which one deserves it more in your opnion.

I understand criteria changes from college to college, ours was quite tough with teachers only signing if you had attendence, good grades, homework up to date and a good work effort, I know one of my friends attempted to bribe the teaches.. But alas to no avail! (He didnt seriously but it was quite amusing) But that is the problem with individual schools execution o the system, surely this would benefit guidelines from the EM<A to each school on what counts (If it doesnt exist anyway.)
My friend gets it, her parents aren't together, she lives with her mum who earns <£20k so she gets £30 a week, yet her Dad pays her school fees....

I don't see the logic...
Revd. Mike
"i'm never going to change my mind on this, no matter what any one says"

I'm sorry to be blunt, but what a ridiculous attitude!

It's not at all, I am sticking to my principles and saying what I think. But obviously as I don't agree with you that must mean I have a 'ridiculous attitude'. I'm not the only one that thinks this, everyone of my friends thinks it is a really bad system. I haven't met anyone out in the real world yet that thinks overwise. I understand people may like the idea but I really don't think it's fair at all. That is MY personal opinion.
And no I'm not changing my mind, not because I'm trying to be difficult or because I have an 'attitude'. It's because I strongly believe this system is wrong.
Reply 613
mc_hamster
It's not at all, I am sticking to my principles and saying what I think. But obviously as I don't agree with you that must mean I have a 'ridiculous attitude'. I'm not the only one that thinks this, everyone of my friends thinks it is a really bad system. I haven't met anyone out in the real world yet that thinks overwise. I understand people may like the idea but I really don't think it's fair at all. That is MY personal opinion.
And no I'm not changing my mind, not because I'm trying to be difficult or because I have an 'attitude'. It's because I strongly believe this system is wrong.

I dont actually think the fact you opose his opnion is the point here, By making such a statement it completely irrevelances the idea of debate. Everyone has principles and morals but for most they are not oposed to listening what the other side has to say, Having morals and principles is great but having the ability to change what you beleive if evidence arises is even better. If you are not even prepared to have an open mind in a debate there is little point. You are entitled to your opnion, as is the poster.
If you read the thread you would se there are several people that actually agree it is a good system (hence there are real people that think otherwise.. 'Hello' :smile: ) and a good idea however many of the fundermentals of it are flawed mainly its execution and its requirements.
Reply 614
Hanzing
I dont actually think the fact you opose his opnion is the point here, By making such a statement it completely irrevelances the idea of debate. Everyone has principles and morals but for most they are not oposed to listening what the other side has to say, Having morals and principles is great but having the ability to change what you beleive if evidence arises is even better. If you are not even prepared to have an open mind in a debate there is little point. You are entitled to your opnion, as is the poster.
If you read the thread you would se there are several people that actually agree it is a good system (hence there are real people that think otherwise.. 'Hello' :smile: ) and a good idea however many of the fundermentals of it are flawed mainly its execution and its requirements.

Is Mc Hamster making the statement however implicitly that he is informed of the situation, has heard various sources and come to the conclusion that EMA is unfair and the system wrong. He has already heard evidence and believes that there is no further evidence that can sway his opinion.
Reply 615
JBacon
Is Mc Hamster making the statement however implicitly that he is informed of the situation, has heard various sources and come to the conclusion that EMA is unfair and the system wrong. He has already heard evidence and believes that there is no further evidence that can sway his opinion.

That may be, But what is the point of entering a 'Discussion' with a statement that nothing said will change your mind, I just think that it defeats the object.
JBacon

Thanks for backing me up but I am a female.
Reply 617
mc_hamster
Thanks for backing me up but I am a female.

SORRY!:redface:
JBacon
(You can't surely suggest that a top graders shouldn't get the bonus because thyey can't get any better, where can you go from AAA)

That's the trouble - for example I am told that I've improved in some subjects, but not those that I've always got A's on, yet I've worked hard at it! But that's aside from the question of EMA.

Interesting post amby3000... it is true that a lot of people spend the £30 unwisely. However if they fritter away the £30 on cigarettes then somewhere the money must come from to pay for their bus fare. As a matter of fact, £30 per week wouldn't pay for my weekly bus fare which comes to £35 per week (though it is paid over a term) - but that's thanks to the various transport bodies not agreeing who should pay for the bus so it has to be run as a profit-making venture by the company rather than being subsidised like every other one (I'm rambling now...)

I know however of some people on EMA who get the money, they have appauling attendance and are hardly ever at registration on time, yet their "bus was late" (despite them driving) or they were "talking to the head of year" (who the tutors dare not challenge), and when they're "ill" (shopping is alledgedly a cure for some people...) the parents reel out notes left right and centre. They continually get around the system and get their bonuses - by saying their targets at the start of term were Ds and Es so when they get Cs and Ds it looks like an improvement.

I agree that students should be supported 16+ but perhaps this shouldnt be via money paid directly. For example make all school bus travel free, books required for study free etc. I also hate the criteria used, I could have qualified this year (I am in L6th) but as I am outside the age range (being by age a year 11, but was moved up several years ago) I don't qualify, as to quote the letter from the lovely people at the EMA office "you are not in post-16 education and therefore do not qualify" *sigh* so when I become 16 I suddenly need to pay for loads more things which I didn't need earlier in the year when I was 15?
mc_hamster

I'm not calling your attitude ridiculous because you oppose my view point, or you hold differenct principles; I call your attitude ridiculous because you come into a debate with a preformed set of ideas and announce that no matter what information was put to you, you refuse to change it. It's wonderful to have formed strong opinions on important issues (most people our age seem to be too apathetic), but it is just as important to be able to adapt. There is no shame in admitting you might have been wrong, it is far more admirable to adapt your view points for new information.

It's that ingrained stubbornness that causes problems like abortion being illegalised and prejudice and discrimination proliferating.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending