Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    (Original post by JBacon)
    But fair play - if I was eligible I'd claim
    Who wouldnt? Lets be honest.
    I didn't. I thought being payed to go to school demeaning. Yeah, £30 extra pocket money would have been nice but I'd rather struggle on myself than have the government demean me by implying I needed to be bribed into educating myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    I didn't. I thought being payed to go to school demeaning. Yeah, £30 extra pocket money would have been nice but I'd rather struggle on myself than have the government demean me by implying I needed to be bribed into educating myself.

I suppose If you Percieve it that way, personally I saw it as support.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    What? I saw it as free money. It was offered to me, I took it. I don't need it - without it even though I couldn't help to support my family they would get loans and stuff. How many non-Christians celebrate Easter? Christmas is a family occasion... Easter isn't. What's that other than free chocolate to you?

I very much appreciate the money the government has kindly offered and I won't turn the offer down. I don't need it. But it makes life both easier/more comfortable and more satisfying for me.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of people at my school get it and they really don't need it! I know of one guy who was made to drop 2 out of 4 of his courses, still never does any work, mucks about, distracts everybody, is about 15 mins late to every lesson, his attendence is terrible yet the teachers happily sign away so he gets his money. REALLY annoys me... the teachers have no idea what theyre signing; I heard one ask what it was that they were signing for and why a while ago!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by custard88)
    Loads of people at my school get it and they really don't need it! I know of one guy who was made to drop 2 out of 4 of his courses, still never does any work, mucks about, distracts everybody, is about 15 mins late to every lesson, his attendence is terrible yet the teachers happily sign away so he gets his money. REALLY annoys me... the teachers have no idea what theyre signing; I heard one ask what it was that they were signing for and why a while ago!

Yes, The system is flawed. Teachers should really be better educated on it as well, I wonder if there any guidleines EMA goves to schools.

ReputationRep:
    I found out this week that i get a £100 bonus in June - when i finish my exams and leave! I don't see the point in giving out bonuses then - surely it would be more helpful in March time.

ReputationRep:
    Be nice towards Uni, Help you buy all the things your gonna need.. Beleive me you dont realise who much you need!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's pathetic. My parents earn enough so I don't get it, but they don't give me any money. Just my travel and lunch.

Most people at my school get it and they use the money to save up for cars, driving lessons etc. I can't find a job anywhere, and neither can they, but they get all this stuff and it isn't fair!!!!

What is worse is the bonuses you get for doing well, it's disgusting.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    :congrats: i feel your rage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xrosiex)
    I think it's pathetic. My parents earn enough so I don't get it, but they don't give me any money. Just my travel and lunch.

Most people at my school get it and they use the money to save up for cars, driving lessons etc. I can't find a job anywhere, and neither can they, but they get all this stuff and it isn't fair!!!!

What is worse is the bonuses you get for doing well, it's disgusting.

That's what I spent mine on.

Cant get a job? Some places are harder than others indeed, But they are out there. I live in a tiny rural village mainly thriving from tourists (In the summer only.) and locals with the minimal amount of shop,post office, news agents. I still managed to find a job. Yes Even people On ema get jobs as well..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    That's what I spent mine on...
    Just because you spend it on that, and obviously you find it really important in that respect, it doesnt mean that everyone uses it like that. The people I know who get EMA certainly dont use it as you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    Just because you spend it on that, and obviously you find it really important in that respect, it doesnt mean that everyone uses it like that. The people I know who get EMA certainly dont use it as you do.
    Yes but then I could say Just because you know some people don't use it like that, doesn't mean everyone else doesn't use it for good does it? Its a circular argument. End of the day we know not everyone uses it like it should be and that can be don to many factors - Mainly a lot through the assessment of who should get it, But then again should it be taken away and punish those that use it, and need it?

ReputationRep:
    EMA is stupid.
    I starve myself every week to get £8
    when people on EMA just sit back and get £30 a week.
    takes the piss tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mengzor)
    EMA is stupid.
    I starve myself every week to get £8
    when people on EMA just sit back and get £30 a week.
    takes the piss tbh.
    What?

ReputationRep:
    EMA should all be the same every1 receives the same amount, cos single parents should b looked at and their child should b given the same as every1 else, i live with my mum and get £10 a week, i got mates who live with their whole flipping family who earn more than the EMA limit but still get it. i fink its fair if every1 gts the same!

ReputationRep:
    Or not, what if youve got to support 7 children and theres 2 parents. 1 parents with 1 child is easier. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    If youre family earns more than the EMA limit, you dont get it. Its 30K a year me thinks. A guy in 1 of my classes has millionaires for parents but they are retired so he gets the 30 quid Fair play though, id take it if I could.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nishanmru)
    EMA should all be the same every1 receives the same amount, cos single parents should b looked at and their child should b given the same as every1 else, i live with my mum and get £10 a week, i got mates who live with their whole flipping family who earn more than the EMA limit but still get it. i fink its fair if every1 gts the same!

As of the last application period for this year (2005/2006) It only counts the household income, rather than the parents join income, so it does count only single parents.
    If you earn over 30k you wont get it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Be grateful you don't pay for half your own food and clothes and transport or something. £8,000 to £30,000+ (the sky's the limit really) - now that is unfair.
    ________________________________ ___________________________
    GCSE: 10A*, 1A
    Currently Studying 6 AS subjects, 1 GCSE
    I agree with you that many people need the payments and actually use them for 'maintaining their education', because as you said incomes vary enormously.

But really; look at your GCSE results, and you are studying 6 AS subjects; now tell me you aren't going to college next year until they give you the £100 just for signing up to the second year...
    It's the bonuses that disgust me.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon EMA should be given to everybody or nobody. That's my personal opinion. The idea is good but they have put it into practice wrongly. Anyone out there who doesn't recieve EMA:

Who's parents give them £30 every week?! certainly not mine.

Also, if it is based upon the parents' income, then surely the money should be given to the parents, instead of giving it straight to the kids who, a lot of the time, spend that money on cigarrettes and even more of the time, definately not on school supplies. Having said that, I'm sure that anyone who is bright enough to come on here and have a sensible argument is not one of those people who spends their EMA on getting 'wasted-maaaaate'.

Actually, out of interest, anyone who gets EMA, how much of it do you honestly spend on college supplies each week?
    I'm not judging you, I'm judging the system.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.