Turn on thread page Beta

Mmmhmm...

You do realise that cambridge is the same as ever don't you? I have a few friends there and they've told me that the rich kids are harsh.

You'll be trounced with your working class self righteousness and benefit fraud - by the way cambridge accept on strength of charachter, you'll stumble hard there.

The only way you would ever get in is by negative discrimination - they need poor folk to look good.

I don't care how old your brother is, if your family could afford it then fine but your mither is being ridiculous, everyone else copes fine in school. If your parents are so poor, then you should get a job until you can afford it yourself!

Someone died to give you the education you're sponging, live with that on your conscience - i'm not being nasty to you because i feel like it - i hate goverment resources being wasted when they could save lives in the nhs!

(Original post by Hanzing)
    They wanted to do that for my 17th birthday, Who are you to deny them the right to do it?
    Because they couldn't really afford it - that money + insurance is way more than a bus pass - there are no excuses for taking what you seriously do not need!

Wake up, you're only in such denial because you feel the guilt
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Timeslikethese)
    You do realise that cambridge is the same as ever don't you? I have a few friends there and they've told me that the rich kids are harsh.

You'll be trounced with your working class self righteousness and benefit fraud - by the way cambridge accept on strength of charachter, you'll stumble hard there.

The only way you would ever get in is by negative discrimination - they need poor folk to look good.
    So? I couldn't care less. When/if I get to Cambridge I won't have "working class self-righteousness". As long as I'm in Cambridge, or indeed anywhere away from here, I'm my own man, free to earn my own money and not waste my life as my parents were forced to do with their own. And even then, I'm sure I'll be big enough to stay away from any nasty rich kids who might be picking on me by then... (Edit: and I'll claim whatever benefits I'm entitled to, without ever breaking the law, and not spend it on tobacco and petrol and getting drunk every night, and my conscience will be clear. )

I don't care how old your brother is, if your family could afford it then fine but your mither is being ridiculous, everyone else copes fine in school. If your parents are so poor, then you should get a job until you can afford it yourself!
    You're not reading what I'm saying, you're seeing select words, pouncing on them and insulting me. I'm saying my brother is 4 and my mum needs to look after him since she can't get a babysitter. Therefore, she can't get a job that's outside his school hours. Which jobs are there that start at school time and end at school time? The most logical idea (since it's the one where you'll be in school for as long as the kids, and always out at the same time as them, in the right place to collect your own) is a job in his school. Sensible thing to do. In what way is that ridiculous?

Someone died to give you the education you're sponging, live with that on your conscience - i'm not being nasty to you because i feel like it - i hate goverment resources being wasted when they could save lives in the nhs!
    Do you not remember protests for huge payment increases a year or so ago? A large percentage of any more money pumped into the NHS will go on inflating the pockets of those who work there. Do you smoke? Does any of your friends smoke? That's sponging off the NHS, surely, in a few years' time when people need liver transplants, whereas that money could've been put into universities to lower fees. And don't forget how much money (especially from tobacco, alcohol, petrol... most of the stuff that people who waste EMA generally spend it on) gets pumped straight back to the government through taxes. Everything would be peachy if there was an infinite amount of money available but unfortunately people have to make sacrifices. Raise taxes and people complain. Lower them and people complain. Raise university fees and people complain. Lower them, and people complain. There is no perfect solution.

I value my education more than I value the life of some 70-year-old smoker who can't breathe off a machine who's wasted their life knowing the risks. Sure, that might sound harsh, selfish and morally wrong (and no doubt now your 24 hours are up you'll be available to negative rep me again, and might even bring your friends along this time), but I have my life ahead of me and don't want to turn out like my parents, sponging off your precious salary. I am also of the opinion that the NHS should prioritise - 70-year-old chain smokers going pretty damn near the bottom for the sake of every 16-year-old who's dying of cystic fibrosis or something. Of course in an ideal world we could save everyone. And education would be free, and people would be happy, and trees would be embraced. But this world isn't ideal.

Edit 2: I actually give a fair amount of money to charities. Not just like "give a kid a squeaky sausage" charities, but actual well known charities like Claire House (which I think is local, so look it up if you don't know it) and so on which the NHS can do nothing about. Not huge amounts of money either, unfortunately, but I can't really afford it, and I've both participated in and organised plenty of sponsorship events. However, I promise you - as I have promised myself, knowing that I've had a life fairly sheltered from disease and death, with the occasional shock, like everyone - that I will end up giving back more than my fair share of EMA to charities. But for now this money is rightfully mine to get me through my education and allow me to do such things.

It's an unfair world. I didn't ask to start off poorer than you. And you certainly wouldn't trade places with me, and although I really can't stand you from first impressions, I wouldn't want you to. I wouldn't want anyone used to a cushy lifestyle to have to get used to mine, even if it's not the worst in the world or even probably in the area. But everything evens itself out in the end. I get my EMA, and use it wisely. Those who choose to waste it just throw 95% of that money straight back at the government, and line their lungs and livers with the other 5%... and it's the NHS that's left to clear it up. How about you shout at those people, not me?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmmmm, do i sense that the formality of this debate is heading downhill...?
    Anyway,
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    The last time I went to get a bus pass or railcard I remember them being in the realms maybe £100+ for a month for very very local journeys
    I disagree with that; I have a bus pass to get to my college which is 45 mins away and it costs me £80 per term, so the entire year costs £240. Given that fares obviously differ around the country but not that extensively by any means. Also, I have to pay for that pass from a job because I don't recieve ema and my parents don't give me £30 per week...

Also, I forget who said it, and it is a minor point, but I also disagree with the idea that some people may need more than £30 per week. No one needs more than £30 per week for education - including travel costs etc. etc.

I use my bus pass every day in the morning (mon-fri), and 3 times a week in the evening (£80 per term). I get a train home the remaining 2 times a week which costs an extra £2.40 on top of bus pass each time, (should be £3.50 but i bought a young person's train pass : £20 and you get a third off all fares for a year - good buy )

Including an average £3 for a meal 3 times a week, this all amounts to £18.80 per week (using a 52 week year - I am aware that you don't get ema in holidays, but then I wouldn't be paying for trains and food and stuff then either so it averages out.) If you then add on the actual education maintainance of say £5 per month for paper and pens (a little more if you do art or something) then it comes to £19.95 per week.
    If the government is going to be calling this scheme the education maintainance allowance, then they really ought to have done some market research first. £30 a week is generous. More than that seems silly.

Some people say they are saving up for university,
    for Uni, I did apply for a hardship grant along with my loan and got £900 pounds, Which I have recieved in 3 installements over the year. The Max you can recieve is a £1000. I also have my tution fees paid as well.
    As you can see there are already measures in place to help fund students through university - not ema, but the same sort of general idea - income based grants. Given it is a lot more expensive to live alone at uni, (although many offer accomodation normally guarenteed first year, sometimes 2nd, 3rd years.) But ema shouldn't be given under the excuse of saving for university. £1000 grant is a lot of money, especially on top of the loans that all students can get. "I also have my tuition fees paid aswell" ; tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't tuition fees are ~£3000 per year? That seems like alot of money to me to be given. I don't personally think that ema should be used to cover future debts in university because there are already measures in place.

Once again, I am not attacking people with my comments (unlike some people on some threads...) I am attacking the system and government.

ReputationRep:
    Because they couldn't really afford it - that money + insurance is way more than a bus pass - there are no excuses for taking what you seriously do not need!

Wake up, you're only in such denial because you feel the guilt
    Actually, It worked out cheaper, Because and me and my friends (Who diodnt earn EMA by the way.) Ran a pool and so We all went in to together allowing my to get some return on the petrol costs and others I was using.

Pfft, I think I know a lot about Denail, and I feel no guk,t why should I? I would think you should be the fun feeling thw guilt around here, You so easily cast assumptions on people who Get EMA, what their lives must be like, what there parents must be like without a second thought for anything else. I find that the bigger denail o the what the real world is like.

I disagree with that; I have a bus pass to get to my college which is 45 mins away and it costs me £80 per term, so the entire year costs £240. Given that fares obviously differ around the country but not that extensively by any means. Also, I have to pay for that pass from a job because I don't recieve ema and my parents don't give me £30 per week...
    Exactly in many rural area the Bus's can charge excessively because they are only bus service that run that route, and so can afford to hike up the prices, Hence why mine were so expensive when I had to take the bus first year.

As you can see there are already measures in place to help fund students through university - not ema, but the same sort of general idea - income based grants. Given it is a lot more expensive to live alone at uni, (although many offer accomodation normally guarenteed first year, sometimes 2nd, 3rd years.) But ema shouldn't be given under the excuse of saving for university. £1000 grant is a lot of money, especially on top of the loans that all students can get. "I also have my tuition fees paid aswell" ; tell me if I'm wrong, but aren't tuition fees are ~£3000 per year? That seems like alot of money to me to be given. I don't personally think that ema should be used to cover future debts in university because there are already measures in place.

Once again, I am not attacking people with my comments (unlike some people on some threads...) I am attacking the system and government.
    Yes, But beleive me £900 doesnt make it a comfortable experience, I already pay out around £3,000 for accomdation (and Im in one of the cheapest halls) As well as The books for my course (Which are a good £40 a pop) then you have to buy food shopping every week, Pay money for Deposit for my house next year (£500) and General other things I need to stay alive,and bills and such forth. University is expensive. Im heavily in debt as it is even with that 'Help'. In regards of Tution fees they are £1,175 (Where did you get 3k from?!) for the year, and That money is paid directly from the student loans people to the university. Beleive me it seems alot to you, But once your at uni you will understand. I dont find your comments a personal attack, Its nice to have some constructive oppostition that doesnt degrade to that level, The system isnt perfect definately but i think its there for a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, tuition fees were less last year, i forgot they're hiking it up this year:

"Depending on where and what you study, you may have to pay a contribution up to a maximum of £3000 a year."
    http://www.aimhigher.ac.uk/student_f...ition_fees.cfm

Exactly in many rural area the Bus's can charge excessively because they are only bus service that run that route, and so can afford to hike up the prices
    I live in a village with 650 poulation. That's fairly rural I would think...

ReputationRep:
    Ditto, I think mines probably less, Maybe 500? Im suprised then that you dont experience such increases. How many bus services are there in your area? how many different companies?

You're not reading what I'm saying, you're seeing select words, pouncing on them and insulting me. I'm saying my brother is 4 and my mum needs to look after him since she can't get a babysitter. Therefore, she can't get a job that's outside his school hours. Which jobs are there that start at school time and end at school time? The most logical idea (since it's the one where you'll be in school for as long as the kids, and always out at the same time as them, in the right place to collect your own) is a job in his school. Sensible thing to do. In what way is that ridiculous?
    It's ridiculous because she could get a better job and then actually afford a babysitter, get a grip!

Do you smoke? Does any of your friends smoke? That's sponging off the NHS, surely, in a few years' time when people need liver transplants, whereas that money could've been put into universities to lower fees. And don't forget how much money (especially from tobacco, alcohol, petrol... most of the stuff that people who waste EMA generally spend it on) gets pumped straight back to the government through taxes.
    First of all, you have shocking grammar - good luck with your cambridge application. Secondly, I do not smoke, nor do any of my friends and finally, you admit people squander EMA. Thankyou.

I value my education more than I value the life of some 70-year-old smoker who can't breathe off a machine who's wasted their life knowing the risks. Sure, that might sound harsh, selfish and morally wrong (and no doubt now your 24 hours are up you'll be available to negative rep me again, and might even bring your friends along this time), but I have my life ahead of me and don't want to turn out like my parents, sponging off your precious salary. I am also of the opinion that the NHS should prioritise - 70-year-old chain smokers going pretty damn near the bottom for the sake of every 16-year-old who's dying of cystic fibrosis or something. Of course in an ideal world we could save everyone. And education would be free, and people would be happy, and trees would be embraced. But this world isn't ideal.
    The plot thickens, your education is no more imporatant than the life on anyone, how dare you feel that way, I agree that smokers should have less priority - that's not an issue at all. But to say that supporting your parents finances is more important than a life just because they refuse to earn a real living is proposterous, in an earlier post you say that you would go to school anyway, even if you didn't have EMA, thus claiming you were able.

Edit 2: I actually give a fair amount of money to charities. Not just like "give a kid a squeaky sausage" charities, but actual well known charities like Claire House (which I think is local, so look it up if you don't know it) and so on which the NHS can do nothing about. Not huge amounts of money either, unfortunately, but I can't really afford it, and I've both participated in and organised plenty of sponsorship events. However, I promise you - as I have promised myself, knowing that I've had a life fairly sheltered from disease and death, with the occasional shock, like everyone - that I will end up giving back more than my fair share of EMA to charities. But for now this money is rightfully mine to get me through my education and allow me to do such things.
    How noble, is that your EMA money you 'give' to charities, without it you really couldn't afford to. Everyone knows that charities related to the NHS and public health are research based, and with our corrupt world that's useless, The cure for cancer has already been discovered, they would never tell us though - population sizes would be immense. Don't waste your money, if you must spend it on something, spend it on a childrens charity like NSPCC. You can never give that money back in the right way, you can never save the life that is lost and you can't give it directly in the way the government can't, the deed is done.

I really can't stand you from first impressions. Those who choose to waste it just throw 95% of that money straight back at the government, and line their lungs and livers with the other 5%... and it's the NHS that's left to clear it up. How about you shout at those people, not me?
    You dislike me because I disagree with you, and very strongly - but believe me you would like me if I was fighting your corner, because I do it well and I say exactly what I think. Also, I have made my point to every EMA claiming student about this issue in an alternative thread, along with this one and certain individuals within each thread.

Final point - interesting name!!! (..sure you don't spend money getting drunk)

ReputationRep:
    First of all, you have shocking grammar - good luck with your cambridge application. Secondly, I do not smoke, nor do any of my friends and finally, you admit people squander EMA. Thankyou.
    1. Why do people resort to picking out pathetic mistakes in others arguments when losing?
    2. He admitted 'most of the stuff that people who waste EMA' Its well acknowledged some people do not use EMA for the right reasons, But that is not everyone. So if a small minority abuse it. Should the vast majority who use it correctly be punished?

1. Why do people resort to picking out pathetic mistakes in others arguments when losing?
    2. He admitted 'most of the stuff that people who waste EMA' Its well acknowledged some people do not use EMA for the right reasons, But that is not everyone. So if a small minority abuse it. Should the vast majority who use it correctly be punished?
    You miss the point every time, Nobody needs EMA! Everyone can work before going to college, it's a joke! Why use government resouces for people who want to go asap?

You in particular abuse it

ReputationRep:
    Really? I never myself find I abused it. I was told it was used for College, for travel costs, for supplies and for other trips etc. I used it for travel costs, for supplies, for other trips etc. I cant see the abused bit in there... The car is part of travel costs, which actually even made it cheaper to run than getting the bus! My Job helped paid for everything else along with the Mot etc. I used it at my discretion to what helped my education, I didn't use ir for new clothes, Cd's, DVDs, smoking, alcohol or anything else that would be attributed to entertainment away from college.

But Lets see what EMA tell me.
    Once the money is in your bank account, it's up to you how you spend it. Only you know what you need the money for that week - whether it's books, equipment, getting around, contributing towards family income or any other costs that add up when you're learning.
    Well I never.

ReputationRep:
    You miss the point every time, Nobody needs EMA! Everyone can work before going to college, it's a joke! Why use government resouces for people who want to go asap?

I disagree. Although obviously a lot of people who don't need EMA get it, I do think some people need EMA.

Sometimes a job isn't enough. No matter what you say, I do think it's a good idea to use EMA or money from an additional job to fund university. According to your profile, you're at university yourself. Surely you know how expensive it is? Loans and grants just aren't enough even if you cut corners everywhere, eat beans every day and live in rubbish accommodation! It's an Education Maintenance Allowance - I don't see what's wrong with using that to maintain your education at university.

If I were at sixth form still and I could get EMA, I'd probably keep my job and save my wages for uni, and use EMA for books, trips, travel and so on. I think that's fair enough, although clearly you disagree.

I'm intrigued as to why you think it's so easy to get a job though... it sounds to me like you live in a little happy bubble! Where I'm from, there's not much in the way of industry. Since I live in a rural county, people here can't just go to the nearest town for jobs - we are the nearest town, so people from the surrounding villages as well as the residents compete for the few jobs for teenagers that there are. We could go to the nearest city but it's 45 minutes away and the travel costs would negate the point of the job.

I'm a very strong candidate for employment (I'm not being conceited, it's true) and it took me a year and a half to get a job here and even then it was because one of my friends was leaving her job to go to uni and recommended me. By that time, I was in Yr 13! My friends and sister have had similar experiences.

The situation is the same for full-time work too. There aren't many jobs here, FACT. So it's not always as easy as you think to get a better job, or even a job at all. My parents are lucky to have the jobs that they do. Most of the industry here is in manufacturing but as I'm sure you're aware, British manufacturing is in a bad state at the moment so loads of people are being made redundant all the time. That leaves people with two options - commute (expensive, often unaffordable) or move (even more expensive).

So what do you suggest people do? Simply saying 'get a (better) job' isn't going to cut it.

I never myself find I abused it
    You wouldn't.

You've missed the point again, you didn't need it, not one bit

ReputationRep:
    Don't judge me!
    you didn't need it, not one bit
    Oh, the irony!

When you went to college, if you travelled there then you could work where you travelled to, before or after college or during free periods. If your college was in your minute villiage then you didn't need travel costs. A full time job before college, so you can save up will far outweigh travel/commuting costs.

Once again, no excuse.

I know what uni is like but Along with my parents' contributions (because they work hard) and my own TWO jobs, I get along nicely - That's the real world.. hard bloody work and graft, at the end of it all when I have no debt and I didn't claim money i will be in a much better financial position than half the spongers here.

The apple never falls far from the tree

(Original post by amie)
    obviously a lot of people who don't need EMA get it

(Original post by amie)
    If I were at sixth form still and I could get EMA, I'd probably keep my job and save my wages for uni, and use EMA for books, trips, travel and so on. I think that's fair enough, although clearly you disagree.
    We can all play the 'taking words out of context and twisting them game'

But judging from the above quotes and your entire post, you didn't qualify for EMA, yet you wanted it even though you're one of those people who 'dont need EMA'

ReputationRep:
    When you went to college, if you travelled there then you could work where you travelled to, before or after college or during free periods. If your college was in your minute villiage then you didn't need travel costs. A full time job before college, so you can save up will far outweigh travel/commuting costs.

Once again, no excuse.

I know what uni is like but Along with my parents' contributions (because they work hard) and my own TWO jobs, I get along nicely - That's the real world.. hard bloody work and graft, at the end of it all when I have no debt and I didn't claim money i will be in a much better financial position than half the spongers here.

Is that aimed at me?

I never said I lived in a minute village. Technically it's a city because it has a Cathedral but it's a medium sized town.

Your argument is frankly terrible. First of all, you assume that villages will have jobs. I've just told you that my town doesn't have many, and nor do the surrounding villages meaning that people from a large area compete for few jobs. So you've still not addressed my point about jobs. Good on your for having two jobs (and I mean that) but what of places where jobs are hard to come by? I barely found one, let alone two. I'm waiting for a suggestion here - what do you think people should do?

Second, although there are travel costs incurred getting to college in my town (it's a good hours walk away from my house, since we live on the outskirts on one side and it's on the outskirts at the other - I didn't go there but my sister does and she needs a bus pass), travel is not the only thing it pays for. Books, trips, uniform (yep, the boys grammar school sixth form has a full siut-like uniform - not at all cheap), stationary and more.

I do think that EMA currently is too much, but I don't think it should be scrapped entirely. Some people do require a small amount of money to get by and get the education they deserve, and to ignore that would be to stick your head in the sand.

About university - some parents cannot afford to make contributions. You're very lucky. It's not always a case of not working hard, sometimes its due to a lack of jobs as I discussed above, or maybe because it's a single parent family with just one income. And I've already talked at length about how it's not easy to get part-timejob everywhere, so I won't go into that again.

Plus, some universities don't even allow part-time work. Mine is really against us doing more than 8 hours work a week because it can be detrimental to your studies, which is a fair point I think. If people save up their EMA and don't have to work as much, and get more out of their degree in the long run, then they're more likely to get a better job and contribute to the economy more in the future than if they scrape a 3rd because they couldn't juggle all of their necessary work hours with their studies and end up working in a lower paid job. Obviously that's highly simplistic, but I'd like to see what you have to say about that.

Out of interest, do you get a student loan or grant, or contributions to your tuition? Do you think they're an example of 'sponging' too?

ReputationRep:
    We can all play the 'taking words out of context and twisting them game'

But judging from the above quotes and your entire post, you didn't qualify for EMA, yet you wanted it even though you're one of those people who 'dont need EMA'
    Actually, I was too old for EMA - my year group didn't qualify, it was brought in the following year. So really you don't have a point.

I'm not sure if I would qualify under the current rules, but if I did I wouldn't need it. If you read my posts earlier in the thread, you'll see that I'm in favour of changing the assessment criteria so there are stricter rules as to who gets EMA - maybe a lower threshold for family income? I don't know. The one reason I would qualify for EMA (if I did) is because they go on household income which doesn't actually include the maintenance money my Dad gives my Mum for my sister and I. Since my Dad has a highly paid job whereas my Mum earns around £13,000 a year, we get a lot of our money from him and I don't think it's fair that we could get around the criteria by exploiting that.

Also I think that EMA should be reduced because £30 really is quite a lot, but not scrapped entirely.

ReputationRep:

So you don't have a student loan? If you don't then you must have incredibly rich parents to be able to afford the accommodation, and tuition fees. Oh by the way, Love to see evidence of mount of hard work vs amount earned. Celebrities can turn up at clubs for about 10 minutes, and leave earning up to 10 grand for an appearance.. It must be so hard. There is not always a correlation. Heh, I'd love to see how you could say my family doesn't work hard, as a child I barely saw my father who had a 9-5 job, then a caretaker evening job as well as being a part time firefighter and would be out most nights on calls. But your right, aren't we all just stereotypical poor slackers? Probably just as much as your a rich spoilt girl who wouldn't understand what it would be like to earn as much as we do, with your cushy lifestyle, and your two jobs which were probably I don't know working with your parents, or maybe slacking as god knows. I don't believe this (It may be true, I wouldn't know) But your the one who wants to use sweeping assumptions.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    It's ridiculous because she could get a better job and then actually afford a babysitter, get a grip!
    You tell me one job she can get without qualifications. Even a school is pushing it in that respect.

I never denied people 'squandered' EMA... but I don't. Also, "any" can also be used as a singular (e.g. "does any one of your friends smoke?", rather than "do any one of your friends smoke?"; "does anyone smoke?" - I was actually implying that even one of your friends might smoke, and still be your friend, even if they didn't hang around in gangs of 50), and you kinda stopped before reading to the end of the next bit you stuck in bold, which I think makes perfect sense. Don't patronise me.

The plot thickens, your education is no more imporatant than the life on anyone, how dare you feel that way, I agree that smokers should have less priority - that's not an issue at all. But to say that supporting your parents finances is more important than a life just because they refuse to earn a real living is proposterous, in an earlier post you say that you would go to school anyway, even if you didn't have EMA, thus claiming you were able.
    Blah, I've explained that not being young dynamic qualified university graduates (or indeed any of those things) they can't get better jobs. And yeah... I would say my education (i.e. the future state of my life) is more important than the life of someone who is perfectly prepared to waste it completely and die a horrible and painful death because they wanted to look cool when they were 17. "A life" is quantifiable. That 70-year-old chain smoker has nothing to look forward to, clearly doesn't want a life, and is sponging off the NHS more than I'm "sponging" off the government. I'm not saying don't save them - I'm saying if I'm sponging, they're sponging more, since they're getting more money and put themselves in that position on purpose.

Also you don't **** those people off, you **** me and my parents off, and I am henceforth making it my mission in life to earn more than you so I can **** you off in several years' time when you're claiming benefits and "killing people".

How noble, is that your EMA money you 'give' to charities, without it you really couldn't afford to. Everyone knows that charities related to the NHS and public health are research based, and with our corrupt world that's useless, The cure for cancer has already been discovered, they would never tell us though - population sizes would be immense. Don't waste your money, if you must spend it on something, spend it on a childrens charity like NSPCC. You can never give that money back in the right way, you can never save the life that is lost and you can't give it directly in the way the government can't, the deed is done.
    My understanding was that Claire House was a children's charity, and not at all research-based, for children with ternimal illnesses (as a direct contrast to that smoker again - these kids didn't choose to have a terminal illness, that smoker did). Also please note: "charities", plural.

You're right, and I don't like donating to charities that hand money out in chunks of tens of thousands to people who are deprived of great-grandfathers because they died in some war, or research-based stuff which is clearly going nowhere, because that doesn't save lives, but there are plenty of good charities out there. The NSPCC is just one of them.

http://www.claire-house.org.uk/

You dislike me because I disagree with you, and very strongly - but believe me you would like me if I was fighting your corner, because I do it well and I say exactly what I think. Also, I have made my point to every EMA claiming student about this issue in an alternative thread, along with this one and certain individuals within each thread.
    I would dislike you if you told other people they were "killing people" while still upholding my point. I dislike you because you've insulted me and my family on numerous occasions, ignored most of what I've said picking on the pathetic things like my grammar (which you base entirely on what you've heard in spoken English, which, as anyone should know, is almost a different language to written English at times... and which in fact you are wrong about), and told me I'm a murderer. I think you're sick, essentially. I would think that if you were on my side too.

Final point - interesting name!!! (..sure you don't spend money getting drunk)
    Even more interestingly, you are the first person who's actually mentioned my name knowing what ebriety is. However I'd like to point out it's a complete piss-take of those who do go out getting drunk, since I don't respect the 'pastime' at all, and I like to know when I'm having a good time, rather than conclude the morning after that I must have done because I have a hangover. I picked the name a while ago (and when I did pick it, I'd never drunk in my life) and it's stuck since I use it for a lot of things, and I don't plan to change now. I've had two pints of beer and a shandy in my life (since picking the name), all on separate occasions, all of which were bought for me. Should I have pawned them and spent them on a few pencils...? Every little helps...

Edit: wow, my longest post yet.

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.