Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Actually, young carers can get EMA as well as the benefits they have to live on (http://www.youngcarers.net/who_can_help_me/88/101). After looking at the criteria for receiving Carers Allowance and knowing in general how low government benefits can be, I imagine that the EMA money can be a great help to the education of these kids.

It doesn't matter that it's an extreme case and they're an absolute minority, because that just proves my point. Most people that get EMA don't need it but as I keep saying, there are a few people that do - young carers are an example of that. That's why I don't think the EMA should be scrapped entirely, but possibly reduced and the assessment criteria changed.

And I've already said I'm done discussing jobs with you.
    I would just like to say that I care for my nan and what you have said is spot on. If I didn't live with my nan I would live 10 minutes away from school and would have no problem walking there, as it is I have to spend £2.60 a day on the train and walk 45 minutes on top of the train journey. I am doing 4 A Levels and have no time to get a job because I need to do lots of things around the house and for my nan, so EMA really helps, especially as this year I've had to buy quite a few books (admittedly I will use them in the future). I'm not saying that I deserve EMA, or even that anyone deserves EMA, but it does make my life a lot easier! I agree that the system does need some sort of reform though, especially when there are people whose parents are divorced who receive EMA and a lot of money from the parent they don't live with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    I would just like to say that I care for my nan and what you have said is spot on. If I didn't live with my nan I would live 10 minutes away from school and would have no problem walking there, as it is I have to spend £2.60 a day on the train and walk 45 minutes on top of the train journey. I am doing 4 A Levels and have no time to get a job because I need to do lots of things around the house and for my nan, so EMA really helps, especially as this year I've had to buy quite a few books (admittedly I will use them in the future). I'm not saying that I deserve EMA, or even that anyone deserves EMA, but it does make my life a lot easier! I agree that the system does need some sort of reform though, especially when there are people whose parents are divorced who receive EMA and a lot of money from the parent they don't live with.
    Wow, seriously I am in awe of you. I don't know how I would have coped doing 4 A-Levels and looking after an elderly relative - I screwed my A-Levels up enough without the extra responsibility! I'm glad that you agree with what I've said, because I would have hated to have been inaccurate about such a big issue.

I really hope you get the grades that you want and get to do whatever it is you want to when they're over. Good luck

I must then, bow down and amit that on this one point you are right - but only in these extreme circumstances - it should then be called young carers education allowance or something of the sort. It is Hanzing i am more mad with, a genuine sponger, and even generalebriety and yourselves have stated that you use/would have used EMA - you are not extreme cases.

Good luck to LeanneMann -it must be difficult and tiring but ultimately very rewarding. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amie)
    Wow, seriously I am in awe of you. I don't know how I would have coped doing 4 A-Levels and looking after an elderly relative - I screwed my A-Levels up enough without the extra responsibility! I'm glad that you agree with what I've said, because I would have hated to have been inaccurate about such a big issue.

I really hope you get the grades that you want and get to do whatever it is you want to when they're over. Good luck
    Thanks . I agree with what you say about it being a minority case but like you say, it doesn't mean the need isn't there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timeslikethese)
    I must then, bow down and amit that on this one point you are right - but only in these extreme circumstances - it should then be called young carers education allowance or something of the sort. It is Hanzing i am more mad with, a genuine sponger, and even generalebriety and yourselves have stated that you use/would have used EMA - you are not extreme cases.

Good luck to LeanneMann -it must be difficult and tiring but ultimately very rewarding. xx
    That pretty much sums it up! Spongers annoy me, but to be honest, if you're being offered the money, you would have to be very stubborn and set in your ways not to take it, whether you agreed with it or not. That's why I think they should change the circumstances under which it is given and also perhaps lower the rates or offer it on a 'sliding scale' like uni loans, rather than simply £10, £20 or £30.

ReputationRep:

Yeah, I probably would have used EMA if I had been entitled to it. I think that's just human nature. If you're offered free money, I think 9 times out of 10 you'll take it if you don't think it through. But I really just make the case for changing the criteria stronger!

Having been involved in this thread though, if I were at sixth form and offered EMA now I don't think I'd take it because it's certainly made my stance on it more clear in my mind. Beforehand it wasn't something I gave much thought.

I don't see how changing the name would help though. I'm sure young carers aren't the only students out there genuinely in need of the money, for example I know of a 16 year old girl that lives alone due to family problems, works and goes to college. I'm sure that a little extra money wouldn't go amiss for her. Plus, at it's core it'd still be the same as EMA, just with much, much harsher criteria

Edit: I must remember to pos rep you tomorrow when I'm allowed to again - it takes a lot to admit that you could be a bit wrong about something (I'm the worst for swallowing my pride!) and I respect that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    That pretty much sums it up! Spongers annoy me, but to be honest, if you're being offered the money, you would have to be very stubborn and set in your ways not to take it, whether you agreed with it or not. That's why I think they should change the circumstances under which it is given and also perhaps lower the rates or offer it on a 'sliding scale' like uni loans, rather than simply £10, £20 or £30.
    I agree completely
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Here's a new thought. How about you blame the government for introducing EMA and not spending the money on the NHS? In that respect I'm "sponging" in the dictionary sense but you can't call it bad. It takes around five times what I get in a year to perform a lung transplant on a smoker. If I backed out now, and all the people who have argued against you backed out, where would that get us? Maybe one lung transplant. Great! Another life saved for 6 months when they go and mess themselves up again. Assuming the lung isn't rejected. The NHS needs a lot of work done to it before it can start employing more staff and so on.

Also you haven't told me your opinion on the smokers themselves, who turn their internal organs into playdough willingly then sponge off the NHS, the free service the government offers. Like EMA, but for those who are less fortunate with their health, not their money. Except in this case it'd be like me earning £30,000 a year and burning £23,000 of it just to get that free service.

You know, I went to my GP a few months back and complained I hadn't been sleeping well and explained the symptoms. A few questions later, I was referred to a counsellor and diagnosed depressed. Now I knew that already, all I wanted was some sleeping pills or something, since the over-the-counter stuff I'd tried wasn't working (it never has for me, for any of my illnesses, rare as they are). But the worst bit is I got referred absolutely free of charge and was told I could start off with 12 "sessions" then if necessary get 12 more for the same price and so on. Imagine how easy it is to sponge off the government in that respect. If EMA is so bad you've got a hell of a lot of tidying up to do before you even get to it.

Edit: and leannemann, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you how lucky your nan is. Good luck in everything.

(Original post by amie)
    Yeah, I probably would have used EMA if I had been entitled to it. I think that's just human nature. If you're offered free money, I think 9 times out of 10 you'll take it if you don't think it through. But I really just make the case for changing the criteria stronger!

Having been involved in this thread though, if I were at sixth form and offered EMA now I don't think I'd take it because it's certainly made my stance on it more clear in my mind. Beforehand it wasn't something I gave much thought.

I don't see how changing the name would help though. I'm sure young carers aren't the only students out there genuinely in need of the money, for example I know of a 16 year old girl that lives alone due to family problems, works and goes to college. I'm sure that a little extra money wouldn't go amiss for her. Plus, at it's core it'd still be the same as EMA, just with much, much harsher criteria

Edit: I must remember to pos rep you tomorrow when I'm allowed to again - it takes a lot to admit that you could be a bit wrong about something (I'm the worst for swallowing my pride!) and I respect that.
    I really respect you for how you stand by what you believe in! Let's just agree to disagree on some things and put an end to this thread

ReputationRep:
    I really respect you for how you stand by what you believe in! Let's just agree to disagree on some things and put an end to this thread
    Aww an almost happy ending! Sometimes it's better to agree to disagree!

ReputationRep:
    Coolio! Agreed. Like Leanne said, it's almost a happy ending! Although I have a feeling that this thread will continue for ages yet (not us two disagreeing, just the thread in general)!

ReputationRep:

I use my EMA for travel costs and expenses, School equipment and any other educational linked items.Just because some of them dont fall into your schema of what it should be used for Im in the wrong, Even If I am following the EMA guidelines.
    LeanneMann, You do an amazing thing, I really hope good luck in whatever you do. I dont have the will to argue with you anymore to be honest timeslikethese so Im just dropping it.

ReputationRep:
    oooh, there are some case studies on the EMA site... interesting :p:

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/financialhelp...&ContentID=115
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Blah... fine by me.

ReputationRep:
    I leave at the end of the week and Im used to funding myself without the help of EMA...however others have been so dependant that they are going to find out what its like to be broke in a few weeks when their EMA ends [awww bless] ...Join the club...unlucky!

ReputationRep:
    Awwh.. Well Im sure they have already experienced what its like to be broke for most of their life up to that point so Im sure they'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is a shambles at my school. Our head of 6th form said he doesnt want to be in a 'God' position deciding who gets paid and who doesnt if lessons are skipped. As a result the learning agreement isnt worth the paper its written on, everyone gets paid the full amount. Most of us are even going to Greece this summer and a majority paid for it using EMA. I cant remember what it was intended for as its meant to encourage post 16 education rather than soley to pay for school material, but having a holiday out of it isnt what the Gov had in mind I dont think lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allan87)
    Our head of 6th form said he doesnt want to be in a 'God' position deciding who gets paid and who doesnt if lessons are skipped
    I cant beleive he actually said that. I think there does need to be more pressure put on teachers to make it work as well, rather than letting people off. My college were really strict on EMA, Yet others are very slack. If a scheme like this is going to work they need to operate it effectively and carry it through.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    This is an enquiry for someone, when do you stop getting paid EMA during Lower 6th Form is it the last day of term. eg will my friends sister get it whilst she is on exam leave? Thought you guys may be able to help with this one. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic_rules)
    Hi
    This is an enquiry for someone, when do you stop getting paid EMA during Lower 6th Form is it the last day of term. eg will my friends sister get it whilst she is on exam leave? Thought you guys may be able to help with this one. Thanks
    From my experience she will get it while on exam leave and when taking her exams, EMA will stop after she has completed her last exam.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.