Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Completely irrelevant to EMA, but you're wrong. That kid who got two Us got £300 bonus. You get qualifications and a potential future ahead of you earning that much every few days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Timeslikethese)
    I believe you're a sponger
    I believe you are vain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellohello12)
    I don't know how the Media Studies teachers at my school have time to teach anything. Practically the those class is on EMA! They must send the whole time signing EMA forms. Why is it that nobody at my school who studies double maths/physics gets EMA?
    My brother does Physics, Maths, English Lit and Art. He is predicted AAAA and receives £30 a week. Not all poor families are completely thick.

ReputationRep:
    I, also, have not read through the 30 odd pages on here, but I don't think EMA is fair. If the money went to the parents, fair enough, but it doesn't, it goes straight to the students. Now this is a generalisation, but any student at the age of 17-18 is not going to save this money, or use it to contribute to their living costs, especially (another sweeping generalisation here) those from families that are eligible for EMA.
    Also, even if you completely disregard the above statement, there are still more reasons it is unfair. Now I'm not eligible for EMA, but do my parents give me £30 a week? No. So if you look at it from the students POV, those with poorer parents, get money given straight to them to spend how they like, while those with wealthier parents get told by them to go out and get a job if they want money.
    Some students can be working their asses off, both at school to get A grades, and outside to save up for uni, while those on EMA can come into school a couple of times a week, sign in, then bugger off to town to spend their 30 quid that they did nothing to earn. Fair? Hardly.

ReputationRep:
    Your 'sweeping generalisations' are certainly true from what I've heard. Speaking to other pupils after the assembly we had for EMA, they were all laughing ludicrously at the thought of spending it on school books.

ReputationRep:
    Is EMA fair...yes, and the Cheeky Girls are a high form of art.

I'm not normally worried about money but I was swindled out of over £200 on the fact that i got a '3' for maths. Never mind that I had not missed a single day, had been to every lesson (and I was doing 5 subjects, mind), and was predicted mostly A's, no, this was not good enough for the tight-fisted, sadistic Mr Burns clone in Whitehall who decided that he was going to keep it in order to put up more profiteering speed cameras or send another thousand troops to their death sucking up to Dubya. To add insult to injury, the fact that my mother decided to get a job in order to support us means I have had only £10 a week for the past year. EMA is a joke, allowing the lazy to get something for nothing and punishing hard workers.

Ideally I would like to use my car, on whose fuel I have spent most of the money I actually recieved, to run over the aforementioned government cretin, before stopping and reversing back just to make sure.
    :soap:

ReputationRep:
    Can I just say that I am not part of the 'sweeping generalisations'. I most definitly will be spending my EMA on school books, and saving the rest for uni. Won't be much but better than nothing. Most of my friends will do the same as we actually want to get somewhere in life and not just get drunk every night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwi)
    Is EMA fair...yes, and the Cheeky Girls are a high form of art.

I'm not normally worried about money but I was swindled out of over £200 on the fact that i got a '3' for maths. Never mind that I had not missed a single day, had been to every lesson (and I was doing 5 subjects, mind), and was predicted mostly A's, no, this was not good enough for the tight-fisted, sadistic Mr Burns clone in Whitehall who decided that he was going to keep it in order to put up more profiteering speed cameras or send another thousand troops to their death sucking up to Dubya. To add insult to injury, the fact that my mother decided to get a job in order to support us means I have had only £10 a week for the past year. EMA is a joke, allowing the lazy to get something for nothing and punishing hard workers.

Ideally I would like to use my car, on whose fuel I have spent most of the money I actually recieved, to run over the aforementioned government cretin, before stopping and reversing back just to make sure.
    :soap:
    Then again, The turner art nominees wouldnt be considered art but Low and Behold switching a light on and off.. Its Marvellous!

One Point though, Please dont make such the insulting argument that it is allowing the 'lazy'. Your mother Has a Job, So does mine, and My father has a furthur two. (Used to have 3 but He had to retire from the firefighting.) This is not laziness they just have the misfortunate of having lower paid jobs, That amount together does not the best income in the world. I would never call my parents Lazy. So I would prefer it if you didnt either.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    *cant be bothered to read the whole 30 odd pages*

but i think it is totally unfair! My mum and dad earn about 32,000 a year so im just over the boundary yet i get nothing and my friend whos mum and dad are divorced but her dad earns buckets gets £30 a week! It really really really annoys me, esspecailly with people who get it say "but i have to spend it on petrol/my car/stationary, but I still have to buy all this and my mum and dad never ever give me any money for stationary or petrol money for me car, i have a part time job for this (and i work 16 hours a week).
    It is the most unfair thing ever! It should be for every student or no students!

ReputationRep:
    I think that is one of the main problems, The divorce factor but then again when they did it on both parents salary and for example I know my fired doesnt get a cent from his father so it wouldnt be far on them If its done by both when you donty always get the father support. I think the system needs to become more tighter, But then again its alot to task from a goverment who has screwed up tax credits again for the second year running.

ReputationRep:
    I receive Ema and i can see both arguments. I get 30 quid n to be honest i think thats unfair as my friends dnt get nething but their parents dnt give them an extra 30 quid a week so they are short!! Its not fair on them its only cos my parents are sivorced that i get it... But on other hand my friend gets it and gives 30 pund to her mum to help towards their livign costs as they are really short when her dad passed away. SO in that sense it can be fair.. even though i get it i really agree that its disriminating against the people who are just on the border!!
    But im not gonna tellthem to stop payin me lol
    x

ReputationRep:
    What annoys me is that my parents earn not all that much over the threshold, and there's 5 kids in my family yet we don't get anything in terms of EMA! Even though we as a family, are less well off than those on lower incomes/benefits, and all of my friends who get it, spend it on brand new cars, phones etc, it never gets used for school stuff,, they see it as a wage like they're getting paid for a job. If they're going to have EMA everyone should be entitled to it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by tinkerbellejess)
    What annoys me is that my parents earn not all that much over the threshold, and there's 5 kids in my family yet we don't get anything in terms of EMA!
    good point. it doesn't take into account the number of children in the family the parents will need to spend money on. so someone earning £25,000 with one child can give that child more than someone earning £25,000 with 3 children. perhaps this needs to be taken into account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanzing)
    From my experience she will get it while on exam leave and when taking her exams, EMA will stop after she has completed her last exam.
    Is this true for the whole of the country. Does ema stop immediately on the date of the last exam even if you have to go back to school to start A2's?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    no if your in year 12 it will continue as normal until the end of the school year, for year 13 it stops on june 30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alispam)
    no if your in year 12 it will continue as normal until the end of the school year, for year 13 it stops on june 30.
    Thanks, will this also be so if students have an extra long holiday and the school doesn't offer lessons?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    not sure bout that. ask your school they should know.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair to say that after 30 pages of debate, people who don't get EMA need to stop complaining and shut it. EMA is staying for the moment, and anything you say on this forum isn't going to make it go away. Kapeesh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dabster)
    on another point, my school say that if your late anytime during the week, you wont get paid for that week!

that's not the case with ours
    if ur late u get it
    if ur absent four days a week but theyre authorised u get it
    u just have to turn in for half a day one day a week!

ReputationRep:
    That's really not fair

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.