Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My school is pretty strict on EMA - we have to have every lesson signed for by a teacher (meaning we can't go home during free periods). Yes, it sounds bad, but I think it's good. At least this way I use my free lessons productively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    But surely the larger family get more in benefits already through eg the child tax credit system?
    well..true! lol do you know what i think?? The goverment did research to suggest that if your household income is a certain amout you are less likely to carry on studying....so they decide to offer an incentive.....we'll give you £,,, if you stay on....

i dont think...ema is for helping lower household incomes with expenses...its a pull factor or something to encourage you to go to school/college!

ReputationRep:
    I dont get EMA and my parents are divorced :confused: the whole system is wrong why should my parent pay someone else kids EMA through taxes and all this **** about those from poor backgrounds getting less support at home maybe they should look at the people that do earn above the 30k more than half the time im at home alone as my mam and her partner are out arresting the chav that are using thier EMA to buy alchol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillyvicky)
    I dont get EMA and my parents are divorced :confused: the whole system is wrong why should my parent pay someone else kids EMA through taxes and all this **** about those from poor backgrounds getting less support at home maybe they should look at the people that do earn above the 30k more than half the time im at home alone as my mam and her partner are out arresting the chav that are using thier EMA to buy alchol.
    That is such a narrow-minded generalisation! Believe it or not, not everyone who gets EMA is a chav who buys alcohol with it :rolleyes: I got £20 a week EMA plus the £500 bonuses, which I used for things I needed for school and saving up for uni.

ReputationRep:
    It costs me £11.10 to come into college every week. My mum cannot afford to give me that, so EMA pays for my travel. My college is really expensive with food (£0.70 for a bottle of unbranded water! :eek:), so my EMA pays for food as well. The remaining money is spent/saved at my leisure.

ReputationRep:
    I think a large percentage of people on EMA (I was on it, £20) can get things paid for in other ways. I know some need it, which is fair enough. But I honestly did not. My parents paid what little stationary I needed, and for a bus pass. I had no other outgoings.

But at the end of the day, people should get over it. If you want money, get a job. Everything for the next few years will be mostly income based. Everyone will get different loans and grants for uni, it's just life.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm - there are plenty of holes in the system, and disparities. For example, it costs me £35 per week on the bus to school, yet if my only money were from EMA I would be £5 a week short. Whereas other people going to different schools need only £4 a week to get the bus, they would have £26 over for lunch / stationary and the like. It would be better if each person were assessed individually, and given a payment for true travel costs & allowance for stationary & for lunch. Or do something which would help everyone - like subsidise school food and make bus travel free.

ReputationRep:
    That is such a narrow-minded generalisation! Believe it or not, not everyone who gets EMA is a chav who buys alcohol with it :rolleyes: I got £20 a week EMA plus the £500 bonuses, which I used for things I needed for school and saving up for uni.
    ok so you deserve it i was on about the 90%+ of people especialy in this town that go into sixth form for no other reason but to get paid then go out and get pissed some people deserve it some dont it should be based on more than what your parents earn it should also take into account what your likely to do with the money like they could insist on people keep reciepts of what they have spent that cash on or bank statements of them saving the money.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a crap.

Come December I'm going to have to pay like £20 a week just to get to school and my parents can't afford it. Because we're over the £30k bracket I'm considered rich, who the hell earns that much and is "rich"??

It doesn't take into consideration where people live, In london £30k is pittance due to mortgage and travel etc, where up North it's probably worth a bit more, obviously not a lot more, but more.

My parents give me £20 a week. £10 for my train fare and £10 for lunch for the week, whenever I need a school book or whatever then I have to save the lunch money and use it to buy the book.

At the moment I need £5 for passport photos, £7 for an NUS card, £5 for an ID card, £6 for a Chem revision guide, £10 for a mates bday present, £15 for drinks at the party, £15 for a cab home, a fancy dress costume for another friends party, more money for that (cab and drinks), then I'm going away for a week with the school and need all this gear.

My parents can't afford it and I haven't got a job and I'm nowhere near lazy by not having one, over the last year I've handed out over 100 CVs and I've got one interview (next week)

ReputationRep:
    ok so you deserve it i was on about the 90%+ of people especialy in this town that go into sixth form for no other reason but to get paid then go out and get pissed some people deserve it some dont it should be based on more than what your parents earn it should also take into account what your likely to do with the money like they could insist on people keep reciepts of what they have spent that cash on or bank statements of them saving the money.
    I agree, I think it should be given out in vouchers rather than cash. The vouchers could then be used for travel, lunch, stationery and books.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xrosiex)
    I think it's a crap.

Come December I'm going to have to pay like £20 a week just to get to school and my parents can't afford it. Because we're over the £30k bracket I'm considered rich, who the hell earns that much and is "rich"??

It doesn't take into consideration where people live, In london £30k is pittance due to mortgage and travel etc, where up North it's probably worth a bit more, obviously not a lot more, but more.

My parents give me £20 a week. £10 for my train fare and £10 for lunch for the week, whenever I need a school book or whatever then I have to save the lunch money and use it to buy the book.

At the moment I need £5 for passport photos, £7 for an NUS card, £5 for an ID card, £6 for a Chem revision guide, £10 for a mates bday present, £15 for drinks at the party, £15 for a cab home, a fancy dress costume for another friends party, more money for that (cab and drinks), then I'm going away for a week with the school and need all this gear.

My parents can't afford it and I haven't got a job and I'm nowhere near lazy by not having one, over the last year I've handed out over 100 CVs and I've got one interview (next week)
    Haven't you contradicted yourself there? First you said your parents couldn't afford to help you out, then you said they give you £20 a week :confused: The point of EMA is not that everyone whose parents earn over £30k is rich, but that their parents can afford to help them out if they need to, which you've just proved. Some parents genuinely can't afford to give their kids money every week, which is where EMA comes in. I agree with what you said about London though. They should do the same thing they do with uni loans and give you more for London.

ReputationRep:
    who the hell earns under 30k a year? if me and my girlfriend worked full time in our current jobs we'd earn not far short of 25k and that's as teh lowest of low at supermarkets.....

EMA is a farce, one of my mates gets it, his dad just bought him a laptop, he has broadband, he has Sky, he's 'poor'.....

It's superb that in these days of encouraging children not to smoke the Government near enough pay for their 20 a day habit....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbie)
    EMA is a farce, one of my mates gets it, his dad just bought him a laptop, he has broadband, he has Sky, he's 'poor'.....
    Hang on if it done on earning alone what happens to all these people who parents dont work but they are worth a fortune do they get it:confused: and yeah that going on around here to and designer clothes etc wrong is all i can say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebbie)
    who the hell earns under 30k a year? if me and my girlfriend worked full time in our current jobs we'd earn not far short of 25k and that's as teh lowest of low at supermarkets.....

It's superb that in these days of encouraging children not to smoke the Government near enough pay for their 20 a day habit....
    My household income was £24, 045 last year and my parents both work, so believe it or not, some people do earn less than £30k :rolleyes: And again, please stop with the stereotyping. Yes, some people on EMA use it to smoke and drink, but not everyone. You wouldn't like it if I said everyone who earns over £30k is a snob.

ReputationRep:
    The point of EMA is not that everyone whose parents earn over £30k is rich, but that their parents can afford to help them out if they need to, which you've just proved. Some parents genuinely can't afford to give their kids money every week, which is where EMA comes in. I agree with what you said about London though. They should do the same thing they do with uni loans and give you more for London.
    One of the few times I disagree with you Kelly ... :eek:

My parents are divorced, and I live with my mum and her partner. My mum's income is around £13,000 p.a. Her partner's income is just over £20,000 p.a. Although my Dad earns a higher income than them combined, his money goes almost exclusively towards his mortgage. As with my dad, my mum and her partner's income goes towards the mortgage mainly, then food bills and utility bills. After all of this, plus stuff like petrol, necessities, etc, we're left with very little spare cash for general things like money for school lunches, clothes, even saving for a university fund.

My parents can't afford to help me out. We struggle to pay for a food bill every week; how is this being better off than someone who receives EMA? Just because I'm around £3350 over the upper limit, why should I be cut off and receive nothing? Surely that's a bit unfair, especially considering the situation that I've described.

The majority of people that I know that receive EMA definitely don't use it for school related items. I know someone who bought a new mobile phone with their bonus; how does that help with studies? :rolleyes:. I think the whole concept is pathetic. There may be people like you that spend it on university funds or whatever, but why shouldn't people like me be allowed some of that money for uni funds too? And I bet that no doubt when I go off to university, I won't be able to receive a grant to help subsidise my education because I'm 'too wealthy'.

The whole thing is a farce, set up without a thought for the people who earn just a bit over the limit but suffer as badly as people earning below the limit.

ReputationRep:
    And again, please stop with the stereotyping. Yes, some people on EMA use it to smoke and drink, but not everyone. You wouldn't like it if I said everyone who earns over £30k is a snob.
    90%+ of the chav population is going to get EMA as that the background they generaly come from and i very much doubt any of them are going to use it properly. My parents earn well over 30k does that make me a snob no i get £80 a month and i have to buy most my clothes out of that plus anything else i want those getting EMA at £30 a week are getting £120 a month so that makes them better off than me so more likely to be "snoby" and as i said above some people do deserve it and if some of them are chav fair enough as long as they use it as intended

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    One of the few times I disagree with you Kelly ... :eek:

My parents are divorced, and I live with my mum and her partner. My mum's income is around £13,000 p.a. Her partner's income is just over £20,000 p.a. Although my Dad earns a higher income than them combined, his money goes almost exclusively towards his mortgage. As with my dad, my mum and her partner's income goes towards the mortgage mainly, then food bills and utility bills. After all of this, plus stuff like petrol, necessities, etc, we're left with very little spare cash for general things like money for school lunches, clothes, even saving for a university fund.

My parents can't afford to help me out. We struggle to pay for a food bill every week; how is this being better off than someone who receives EMA? Just because I'm around £3350 over the upper limit, why should I be cut off and receive nothing? Surely that's a bit unfair, especially considering the situation that I've described.

The majority of people that I know that receive EMA definitely don't use it for school related items. I know someone who bought a new mobile phone with their bonus; how does that help with studies? :rolleyes:. I think the whole concept is pathetic. There may be people like you that spend it on university funds or whatever, but why shouldn't people like me be allowed some of that money for uni funds too? And I bet that no doubt when I go off to university, I won't be able to receive a grant to help subsidise my education because I'm 'too wealthy'.

The whole thing is a farce, set up without a thought for the people who earn just a bit over the limit but suffer as badly as people earning below the limit.
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation but if your household income is £33k and you also have a dad earning more than that, surely you're in a better position than someone with a household income of less than £30k? Your parents may have mortgages to pay, but so does everyone else and the fact is that they must be doing pretty well to be able to afford houses like that in the first place. EMA is just like any other benefit- it's abused. It's unfortunate, but do you really think it should be scrapped and all the deserving people who actually need it cut off just because some idiots waste it? It's unfortunate that you're just over the limit, but there has to be a limit because the government can't afford to give it to everyone and for whatever reason, £30k is the limit they decided on.

ReputationRep:
    The whole EMA concept is critically flawed. I'm not just saying this because I recieve nothing. There are some people who deserve and need the money and dont get it. Likewise there are people that don't deserve the money, given what their plans for the money are.

To be fair though, It would be unbelievably difficult to develop a system wherein all the people who deserved extra money got it, because the system is based on numbers and statistics and dosent take into account any qualitative aspect of someones life situation. And I accept that it would be very difficult for a system to do this.

My situation quickly. My Dad is the main earner of the family, and earns way over the limit for recieving EMA money. Now however he's in hospital for 4 months having his cancer treated, leaving just my mum to pay for all the running costs, despite the fact she earns considerably little compared to my father. At the moment we can barely pay for essentials, and theres nothing in the way of support from the government. Certainly not EMA.

Ah well Life's a ***** I guess

ReputationRep:
    90%+ of the chav population is going to get EMA as that the background they generaly come from and i very much doubt any of them are going to use it properly. My parents earn well over 30k does that make me a snob no i get £80 a month and i have to buy most my clothes out of that plus anything else i want those getting EMA at £30 a week are getting £120 a month so that makes them better off than me so more likely to be "snoby" and as i said above some people do deserve it and if some of them are chav fair enough as long as they use it as intended
    Of course it doesn't make you a snob- that was exactly my point! Those with parents earning above £30k wouldn't like to be called snobs, so they shouldn't call people with parents earning less than that chavs or whatever. As I've said countless times, it's unfortunate that EMA is abused and people get it who don't deserve, but that happens with every benefit. It doesn't mean they should all be scrapped and all the deserving people should be cut off to because some people really need it and use it properly. To be honest, I really don't see what you're complaining about if you get £80 a month from your parents- that's quite a lot! Another thing to remember is that not everyone on EMA gets the full £30 a week- some get £20 and some get £10.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation but if your household income is £33k and you also have a dad earning more than that, surely you're in a better position than someone with a household income of less than £30k?
    You'd think so, as the Labour government does too. But as I said before, very little actual spare cash comes out of that ...
    Your parents may have mortgages to pay, but so does everyone else and the fact is that they must be doing pretty well to be able to afford houses like that in the first place.
    My parents bought the house we live in twenty years ago, when it cost £45,000. When my parents divorced, as a stipulation of the divorce, my mum and her partner had to help my Dad with his purchasing of a new flat financially. To raise the money for that, she had to remortgage the house. As you can imagine, the house had gone up in value. Therefore, my mum had just had another mortage of ~£115000 on her plate. My Dad now pays around 75% of his actual income on his mortgage of £115000. My Mum and her partner pay a LOT of their income on their mortgage. Sadly, things aren't as straight as they look...
    EMA is just like any other benefit- it's abused. It's unfortunate, but do you really think it should be scrapped and all the deserving people who actually need it cut off just because some idiots waste it?
    Sadly, there are very few deserving people that actually DO need it. Some people might take it and use it for their gas bills, electric bills, food bills, etc. But the majority of the time, it's used for crap such as a new phone, clothes, going out, etc. People need to understand that it's not just some who abuse the system, it's MOST.
    It's unfortunate that you're just over the limit, but there has to be a limit because the government can't afford to give it to everyone and for whatever reason, £30k is the limit they decided on.
    OK fine, there is nothing I can do about the limit as there has to be a limit, obviously. However, let's talk about the bonuses. Some people receive bonuses of £100+ for 'hard work'. So, I haven't been working hard enough to be rewarded? What kind of message does this give across when some receive bonuses, but not others.

It's all depressing

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.