Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RanchmanNukes)
    The problem doesn't lie with EMA, the problem lies with your parents.
    You honestly think that! I'm guessing you get the full amount. Alot of families are just above the limit and if the truth was known, probably won't be able to afford giving their child money, how can you say it's the parents fault?

I know my parents wouldn't give me £30 a week, I get £10 off EMA and not a penny more off my parents. The thing is they couldn't afford to give my £30 a week, next year I probably won't get EMA as my dads wage has gone up by a couple of hundred, so next year I will only get given the money I need off my parents and not a penny more.

ReputationRep:
    This is one of the few cases where the haves are envious of the have-nots, as in this situation the have-nots are the haves. Hopefully the haves can now understand why so many have-nots where attracted to communism? It wasn’t any sophisticated ideology, it was just jealousy and anger, which you are all displaying now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinkle.twinkle)
    You honestly think that! I'm guessing you get the full amount. Alot of families are just above the limit and if the truth was known, probably won't be able to afford giving their child money, how can you say it's the parents fault?

I know my parents wouldn't give me £30 a week, I get £10 off EMA and not a penny more off my parents. The thing is they couldn't afford to give my £30 a week, next year I probably won't get EMA as my dads wage has gone up by a couple of hundred, so next year I will only get given the money I need off my parents and not a penny more.
    I receive no EMA payments.

ReputationRep:
    I've not read the whole thread, just the first 7 pages.

This week we had a debate in class about EMA, my school is about 90% no ema and 10% ema and only one person in the class received it, so it probably was very one sided, especially since most of our school is middle class. The topic was my idea as i was pretty mad when i couldn't get it and then my friend was buying computer games with the money.

The conclusion was that it was too expensive to give everyone something and that nobody should get anything except in special circumstances, then the student would receive a free bus card and free stationary or books. To give the majority of students the chance to earn money it should then be up to the school and local council to find suitable jobs which would suit them, even paid community service could be done. Then only the people willing to work hard for their extra money would stay on at sixth form.

ReputationRep:
    Has this country gone barmy? Once I finish my degree I'm outa this place...

ReputationRep:
    it is really not fair, im basically the only one i know who doesnt get it and the majority of my friends are richer than me.
    my brother whos a year above me got it in his first year of college but i didnt even though we probably earned less.... my mum got some payment cos she had to retire due to illness which meant we dont get it even though we have much less money now. and all of the money we got went on debt so its not like we had it to spend. one of my friends lives in literally a mansion and she gets £30 a week just because her dad moved out

also everyone spends it on clothes and going out and stuff and i really needed it for equipment when i was doing photography cos it was so ****ing expensive.

wow that was a rant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irule)
    wow that was a rant
    A bad one at that.

ReputationRep:
    Is being born into a family where you can live comfortably without having worked for it fair?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I get £10 EMA each week and it goes on my dinner money. I wouldn't be supprised if most people in my area get no EMA because I live in quite a posh and expensive area. My parents don't seem too badly off but thats probably because their business pays for quite a bit (eg. computer and car).
    I believe EMA should be given in voucher form and it should be regulated to make sure it is spent on the right things. Either vouchers or a special card. That way you could use it at school and stationers etc.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think the whole EMA thing is fair. the majority of my friends get it, and they're the ones that are always moaning they have no money.

i think it should be the people that have to spend like £10 every week on bus fare that should be getting it.

ReputationRep:
    LOL. nooo. your parents are earning over 30k. they can afford to.

stop coming up with silly suggestions as this thread has been debated dead.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is very unfair. I am not going to get it even though y parnts are refusing to buy anything for me. My best friend has hundreds in the bank, her mum buys everything for her and she's going to get it because her parents earn just under the limit.

I think it's stupid that people who get EMA get more for doing a good essay or whatever because there is no difference between an essay written by a poor kid to a rich kid if they get the same grade.

ReputationRep:
    In some cases a kid might have genuine need for EMA, in other it's a waste of tax payers money. Life isn't fair - get over it. If your parents don't give you money and you don't have EMA... get a job? Don't waste time moaning about it. PS I dont have EMA and I couldnt care less! Im not jealous of the people that do have it, good for them I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vv2006)

30k a year is not a lot of money for two people to be earning.... EMA is an absolute farce and benefits those have clever accountants far more than it benefits the truly needy.... if your mum earns £29k and you live with just her then you are quite well off, if you live with both parents who earn combined £32k with 3 kids then its a completely different story...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vv2006)

You are a complete fool, does it matter that someone has parents that earn over 30k? How much of that money actually goes into the pockets of the children? I doubt their parents just hand them £30 a week just for going to school, after bills, tax etc and any debts that they have got the parents could have the same amount of money each week as someone on benefits, look at the bigger picture before making silly comments over something you have obviously got no idea about, and maybe if you ever get a job you'll realise how hard it is having to work for your money as opposed to having it handed to you on a plate like those that choose not to work, and those people are usually the ones that are better off. (with the exception of genuine people that can't work, they are the people that deserve benefits etc.)

ReputationRep:
    Nope its totally not fair. I dont get EMA.
    Ok as you can see from my name i have two sisters.. surely there should be some sort of other form of EMA for people that have 2 or 3 and more children especially when they are the same age as you often have trips at the same time.
    When it comes to going on trips if its all 3 of us it comes to alot of money and EMA would be really hopeful.. aswell as for books an stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Ok as you can see from my name i have two sisters.. surely there should be some sort of other form of EMA for people that have 2 or 3 and more children especially when they are the same age as you often have trips at the same time.
    When it comes to going on trips if its all 3 of us it comes to alot of money and EMA would be really hopeful.. aswell as for books an stuff.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Is the sole purpose of EMA to help people with their education? I only ask because a number of people have said that it's for going back to school, and the people behind EMA haven't said that it's only meant for education, if that's the case everyone should get it. Whether you earn over 30k or not, it's the parents earning the money - not the kids.

ReputationRep:
    Lool...ppl r being so naive....u think all the EMA ppl earn less than £30,000?
    The system is flawed.....i have friends who are v.rich but they still get EMA. IMO everyone should get it, or noone gets it.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.