Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the EMA is unfair. I mean I got it last year. £30 a week. On top of that, I, personally, was earning another £50 on top of it from part-time employment. I know I didn't really deserve to get it, but I wasn't going to complain back then!! Stuff like that really should be taken into consideration, but it isn't. Ah well, c'est la vie. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Not neccessarily I'm afraid.
    What i should of said was the average parents would be earning over the limit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mike101)
    The boundries are also rediculous, the average person outside London earns £26,000, meaning 2 parents working (even part time) would be over the limit.
    Isn't that the point, though? Two parents each earning £26K earn more than enough for their children to not need to work. I don't really see why someone coming from a family earning £52K a year needs extra help in order to keep them in education.

ReputationRep:
    i think it should be an all or nothing case
    Why?? No benefits are 'all or nothing', they go to the people who actually need them, so why should EMA be any different?

the average person outside London earns £26,000, meaning 2 parents working (even part time) would be over the limit.
    You're assuming a) that everyone earns the average wage and b) that everyone is in a household with 2 working parents, both of which are ridiculous.

why should my parents who have worked hard to get a decent wage support other people who are too lazy to get a job
    Now you're assuming that people who get EMA have lazy parents who don't work, which is also ridiculous, not to mention extremely snobby and elitist. I got EMA for both years of sixth form and I now get a grant at uni. Guess what? I live with both of my parents and they both work :rolleyes:

EMA was designed to keep more people in education who would be better suited to a job, its keeping people who dont want to learn in school, therefore increasing class sizes and spoiling people who want to works education
    No, it's designed to keep people in education who would otherwise have to get a job to support themselves and their families. Saying that it increases class sizes and harms others is saying that poor people don't deserve to be educated; again snobby and elitist.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I agree that some people do abuse the system.. but generalising and saying that no student should need it and should go out and get a job is just wrong.
    I get £30 a week and also have a part time job, that barely pays for transport, food, college etc and without that I wouldnt be able to focus on my college work. I work very hard on college work ( I would only get EMA if I attend ALL lessons anyway), look after my disabled brother to give my mum a break to go out to work and spend the rest of my time visiting my ill dad. Without that money I would probably not be able to continue education because the support isnt there.
    I admit that I spend the odd bit of money on going out and enjoying myself but I think everyone is entitled to that once in a while, its not as if I dont work for it. If you are saying that people dont deserve EMA and should just get a part time job and all would be fixed I think that would be depriving hard working people (some generalise to say scroungers) from the help they need.

That wasnt very well structured I admit.. I'm tried atm

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, I don't exactly agree with bonuses. Is the £30 a week not a big enough incentive to go to lessons? I know they're supposed to stop people from just turning up to classes to get EMA, and to actually achieve on their course and things, but it's not fair to the other people who work hard too.

I also know someone who goes to boarding school and gets EMA because her dad is retired so their income is below the cut off. But they can find the thousands of pounds to send her there each year. That is ridiculous.

(I would like to point out that I do agree with EMA, just not the finer points).

ReputationRep:
    In case any of you weren't aware, there are a few petitions popping up on The Prime Minister's website where, if you think EMA is unfair, you can sign and hope for change.

See here.

|| Sam

ReputationRep:
    EMA isn't fair, but apart from Universal benefits, none are.

It's better than nothing though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emxx)
    Loadsa people i know get ema, some of whom are doing 1 subject and not even always turning up for
    That's your school's fault for authorising the payments. They shouldn't unless a certain attendance requirement is met, i.e. attending all lessons except for when there is good reason (and a written note explaining absence).

Don't blame the system for your school's misjudgements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 00sharrow)
    In case any of you weren't aware, there are a few petitions popping up on The Prime Minister's website where, if you think EMA is unfair, you can sign and hope for change.

See here.

|| Sam
    I couldn't find how long the petition had been online for, so perhaps you could tell me? I only ask because it's received 6 signatures which isn't a lot, but understandable if it's only a new petition.

ReputationRep:
    It might have been there a while but the people who set it up probably havn't publicised it well.

Also, there might well be a few duplicate petitions - I've not looked though, and the Minister's office is supposed to stop duplicates.

Anyhow, FYI, it needs 200 signatures before any reply or consideration is given by the office.

|| Sam

ReputationRep:
    EMA, housing benefit, student grants.....
    In essence a goverment minister has decided this is the total living expenses for a family with one, two three children etc, therefore you will have £X of disposable income, hence you can give £x amount to your children in terms of disposable income.

You think EMA is unfair...wait untill you get to Uni and find you have to pay £3k per year!!! I was fortunate to go Uni with the smaller tuition fees but I get really annnoyed when my housemates complain about 'not having any money'. My situation is I clean all through summer at student halls of residence (great job I know). My parents give me no money as they just cant afford it....have seven children!!!
    Anyways my housemate - Sarah's parents are on benefits as her dad was an alcholic and I think he has a few health relation problems (has a bad back...yeah that old prolem). Anyway her mum does not work from what i gather due to depression.
    So Sarah gets £1000 a year grant and her tuition fees paid £1,200. I get neither and I pay all my tuition fees....so in effect I am £2,200 worse of on the first day of Uni!!!
    What pisses me of is that she says she has no money!!! How can she not have any money when she is so much better of every year???? I work hard, go where I want and doing ok.
    I used to think EMA was fair, but **** it! If you cant afford to go Uni then tough ****. Its not like you cant study part time! Whats £30 a week? If you live far from School you can get a bus pass, lunch is not alot of money if you make it at home and if you want a social life then you have to work for it.
    My parents have bought 7 children in the world, they knew the score and FYO, benefits are not that great!!! My mother got the usual child benefit which everyone gets and then a bit of income support. I remember her being in tears when she found out she was getting £15 a week less. My mother used to paint the house white as then everything would match and it was also the cheapest paint.
    My parents work hard, yet dont go on foreign holiday or any kind of holidays and buy there clothes from Tesco.
    Furthermore they earn an income of £32,000....however my brother who went to Uni 4 years before me had to pay £0 in tuition fees...we were not so long ago poor! Funny how you can get credit for everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
    EMA, housing benefit, student grants.....
    In essence a goverment minister has decided this is the total living expenses for a family with one, two three children etc, therefore you will have £X of disposable income, hence you can give £x amount to your children in terms of disposable income.

You think EMA is unfair...wait untill you get to Uni and find you have to pay £3k per year!!! I was fortunate to go Uni with the smaller tuition fees but I get really annnoyed when my housemates complain about 'not having any money'. My situation is I clean all through summer at student halls of residence (great job I know). My parents give me no money as they just cant afford it....have seven children!!!
    Anyways my housemate - Sarah's parents are on benefits as her dad was an alcholic and I think he has a few health relation problems (has a bad back...yeah that old prolem). Anyway her mum does not work from what i gather due to depression.
    So Sarah gets £1000 a year grant and her tuition fees paid £1,200. I get neither and I pay all my tuition fees....so in effect I am £2,200 worse of on the first day of Uni!!!
    What pisses me of is that she says she has no money!!! How can she not have any money when she is so much better of every year???? I work hard, go where I want and doing ok.
    I used to think EMA was fair, but **** it! If you cant afford to go Uni then tough ****. Its not like you cant study part time! Whats £30 a week? If you live far from School you can get a bus pass, lunch is not alot of money if you make it at home and if you want a social life then you have to work for it.
    My parents have bought 7 children in the world, they knew the score and FYO, benefits are not that great!!! My mother got the usual child benefit which everyone gets and then a bit of income support. I remember her being in tears when she found out she was getting £15 a week less. My mother used to paint the house white as then everything would match and it was also the cheapest paint.
    My parents work hard, yet dont go on foreign holiday or any kind of holidays and buy there clothes from Tesco.
    Furthermore they earn an income of £32,000....however my brother who went to Uni 4 years before me had to pay £0 in tuition fees...we were not so long ago poor! Funny how you can get credit for everything!
    If your parents decided to have 7 children, meaning that despite a fairly good salary, it meant that you still weren't well off and couldn't get benefits that you need, then tough ****.

By the way, I really do sympathise with your situation, but someone could easily turn round and say the above back to you. It isn't fair that someone be denied access to university because they cannot afford it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruisepristine)
    That's your school's fault for authorising the payments. They shouldn't unless a certain attendance requirement is met, i.e. attending all lessons except for when there is good reason (and a written note explaining absence).

Don't blame the system for your school's misjudgements.
    :ditto: To get the weekly payments, you have to be doing a certain amount of hours per week (so not just one subject unless it's some kind of vocational course) and have good attendance. I agree the bonuses aren't necessary and should be scrapped, although they were certainly nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dk9)
    If your parents decided to have 7 children, meaning that despite a fairly good salary, it meant that you still weren't well off and couldn't get benefits that you need, then tough ****.
    :ditto: Saying 'if you can't afford to go to uni, tough ***' is just selfish, elitist and the kind of thinking that means unis are still dominated by the middle classes. It was your parents' decision to have so many children, therefore they have no right to complain if they don't have as much money as they'd like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
    If you cant afford to go Uni then tough ****.
    That is utter ****. You might as well have said "Being middle class, I don't want to have to mix with the peasants when I get my education."

The system has issues and there are many many special cases that need to be considered but outright removing EMA is just terrible as some people really need money.
    And remember, most of you who don't get it have probably enjoyed yearly holidays, a nice big house with double glazing, central heating, a nice car (or two) etc etc. So stop moaning when somebody who isn't you gets a break!

ReputationRep:
    I think EMA should be given in things like vouchers for actual educational purposes, free bus pass and what. Because I don't know a single person whose EMA doesnt go on weed/pills/****/booze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ems~)
    I think EMA should be given in things like vouchers for actual educational purposes, free bus pass and what. Because I don't know a single person whose EMA doesnt go on weed/pills/****/booze.
    I used mine to buy a laptop for uni.
    Most people on here arguing for EMA use it for sensible things.

ReputationRep:
    I think one thing that definately should be changed about EMA - and maybe this would be a better idea for a petition than the other one (realistically the government aren't going to pay £10, £20 or £30 a week to every single person in further education, especially when the new rule comes out for everyone to stay in some sort of education until they are 18) - is the tax.

The EMA people base your parent(s)/carer(s) income on the amount of money they received that year - but they include tax. Someone's parents could earn £33,000 but take away the tax and they could only receive £25,000. So in that respect it's not fair to someone whose parents earn a few hundred/thousand over the limit to receive EMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ems~)
    I'm assuming this is personally you dont know anyone who doesnt waste their EMA but it can be quite assured that the people that are trying to defend it here on this topic are the ones that use it for sensible reasons as SsEe said. It seems that no matter what is said by the people that do recieve EMA, the people who dont get it come up with the same argument over and over again. I am quite sure that if you did get EMA this topic wouldnt be here. And perhaps I may be stating the obvious by saying so. However I am seriously getting quite annoyed by being branded as the child of a benefit scrounger when both my parents work and pay more tax per month than the EMA I recieve in the same period. True, people are abusing the scheme but must I also be branded as a pill popping, weed smoking alcoholic that doesnt care about their studies. Actually I care alot about my studies and so does the other people that are posting here defending their right to recieve EMA, or otherwise we wouldnt be here posting on a forum called The Student Room.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.