Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bruisepristine)
    Yeah, it also kind of annoys me how people seem to assume those who get £30 a week are in some way lucky. The disadvantages of living in a household with an income of less than 20,000 far outweigh the advantages.
    Hear, hear. Those with incomes of above £30k are likely to have had a far more comfortable lifestyle than those without, regardless of whether their parents give them £30 a week or not.

ReputationRep:
    What peeves me off is that many EMA students get given more money in a week than I earn. I work 8 hours a week and get £26, as well as going to college. An EMA student I know gets £30 for doing nothing. He has the same job as me and so gets over twice the amount I do. As well as £100 bonuses. He spends all of the money on computer games and gig tickets. How the hell is that fair?!

Also, someone further back in the thread was complaining that the maintenance grant will only just cover their first choice accomodation. Well, be bloody thankful! I'm not gonna get any sort of grant whatsoever. And earning £26 a week I won't have much saved up either. Poverty it is for me whilst all the poor kids get given 1000s of pounds. Yay.

ReputationRep:
    I would also like to point out that I do not get EMA because my income is a few thousand over the threshold

BUT

my parents work DAMN hard and we don't have much money because they are still paying for the 100% mortgage and loans etc they have taken out so we can live in a DECENT house and actually have a car and so on.

sorry but i work all hours gods sends to get money and what do my mates on £30 a week do? nothing because their parents are either "retired" or self employed and have fiddled the books so they can get the EMA.

the system sucks. debt is rising for adults in the UK and because their income is low doesn't mean they are comfortably living. quite the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notebooksecrets)
    Poverty it is for me whilst all the poor kids get given 1000s of pounds. Yay.
    Oh please. Poverty for you? If you were living in poverty you would be entitled to EMA. The full £30 of it, in fact.

ReputationRep:
    Oh please. Poverty for you? If you were living in poverty you would be entitled to EMA. The full £30 of it, in fact.
    a. Yes, it was a slight exageration.
    b. I was referring to next year.

ReputationRep:
    Well aren't maintenance grants just deducted off the total loan amount anyway? So you'll still have as much money as anyone else, just slightly more to pay back at the end of it all.

ReputationRep:
    Take into account; a. the amount of tax a family has to pay and b. the amount of debts/bills a family has to pay. A family of eight could have to live off £35,000 a year while a family of two might have to live off £18,000 with no debts/mortgage. Who - in the eyes of the EMA - is better off? And who - in the eyes of the real world - is better off? I'm sick of looking at it both ways and then getting people like you that refuse to.

A mate of mine lives with his mum, doesn't have a dad and his mum is 'disabled', they have no money worries whatsoever. His mum got the house for free when her uncle died. All she has to worry about is getting her bills paid. She can afford to give my mate £30 a week and then some, he is a prime example of someone who doesn't need EMA. But because his mum gets £16,000 or whatever a year then he needs the EMA to get him to go to sixth form. *******s, open your eyes will you and see things from both sides.

Good on you Notebooksecrets for getting off your arse and getting a job, and also good on your mate for getting a job despite still getting EMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unagi)
    Take into account; a. the amount of tax a family has to pay and b. the amount of debts/bills a family has to pay. A family of eight could have to live off £35,000 a year while a family of two might have to live off £18,000 with no debts/mortgage. Who - in the eyes of the EMA - is better off? And who - in the eyes of the real world - is better off? I'm sick of looking at it both ways and then getting people like you that refuse to.
    I understand there are exceptions, believe me, and I can see both sides to it. But it was the use of the word 'poverty' that led me to say what I did. As far as I'm aware you're considered to be living in relative poverty in the UK with an income of around 15K or less. The fact that the person who posted it doesn't receive EMA means their household income is at least twice that, so how can they claim poverty?

People who abuse the system are wrong to do so, and similarly I can understand why people just above the cut-off point feel angered. But there has to be a cut-off point.

I guess I'm just a little worked-up from all the people in this thread who seem to think that everybody in receipt of EMA are scroungers/don't work hard/have somehow cheated the system.

Oh and I get EMA and also have a job.

ReputationRep:
    the EMA system was started to help poorer kids go to Further education. and we cant knock that.

It is a system highley open to abuse. I know loads of ppl who swap households if thier parents are divoreced t get the money etc.

And it is unfair if your slightly over the cut off point.

And it is also true to say that it does actually work for some kids, as, if they have the money to buy CDs etc. it can a)stop them robbing them. b) riase their self esteem, becuause now they can afford some of tthe luxuries that some of the more well off kids get. It also makes SOME of them turn up to lesson and not bonk off, although wether they actually take in anything in that lesson is another question.

However, EMA really is not the answer at all. In my opinion it is a poor excuse for politicions to say they are encouraging less fortunate kids to stay in education. In this thread we have seen the inequality and its loopholes, so obviosly the politicians didnt think it through properly, but i dont think that matters to them because......................... ............Paying £30 or less to some families is a hell of a lot cheaper than doing the right thing and....

GIVING EVERYONE A FREE EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i cant think of a fairer system than that!

and if you think it wont be possible because you will need to raise taxes, think again.

All that needs to happen is to not go to war!!Cut down millitary spending. that will save us billions.

opinions? any flaw(s) in the give everyone free education idea?

ReputationRep:
    I understand there are exceptions, believe me, and I can see both sides to it. But it was the use of the word 'poverty' that led me to say what I did. As far as I'm aware you're considered to be living in relative poverty in the UK with an income of around 15K or less. The fact that the person who posted it doesn't receive EMA means their household income is at least twice that, so how can they claim poverty?

People who abuse the system are wrong to do so, and similarly I can understand why people just above the cut-off point feel angered. But there has to be a cut-off point.

I guess I'm just a little worked-up from all the people in this thread who seem to think that everybody in receipt of EMA are scroungers/don't work hard/have somehow cheated the system.

Oh and I get EMA and also have a job.
    Fair enough.

I get worked up about EMA for a number of reasons. I think there would be a lot less hassle if it just didn't exist at all. (Then we'd have the argument of people not being able to afford to go to college/sixth form. But if you can't afford something you want, what do you do? Don't buy it. Harsh, but true.)

ReputationRep:
    I do not have a problem with those that need it getting the EMA but what annoys me so much is seeing those from private schools getting the full amount because their parents are divorced. I know someone who lives with her mother, her father is rich and obviously pays for everythign for then alogn with giving her a lot of money a week, on top of this she is getting the EMA, how is this fair?

ReputationRep:
    '''...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natalie-C)
    I know someone who lives with her mother, her father is rich and obviously pays for everythign for then alogn with giving her a lot of money a week, on top of this she is getting the EMA, how is this fair?
    But how do you know her Father pays for everything? How do you even know he pays for anything? If someone lives with one parent then you've no way of knowing if the other parent contributes a penny (unless the CSA are involved, but that money would go to the other parent, not the child).

My parents are divorced and I get EMA. Am I cheating the system? Why should my Father's income be taken into account when I don't even live with him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipper_99)
    That is harsh very harsh. I'm from a working class family. If it wasn't for EMA I certainly wouldn't be studying at college. Why? Because my family simply could not afford it. I wouldn't be able to travel to college and even if I could, I would end up not eating anything during my time in college.

Thanks to EMA I have reached my second year in college with very good results in my first year. Just think about that will you?
    See? Not nice when someone has an opinion different to yours. I'm assuming that people that get EMA waste it, you're assuming that people that don't get EMA are loaded and don't need it. (Not you specifically, just a lot of people in this thread.)

ReputationRep:
    Well people at my college don't need EMA. College doesn't cost anything. All the students are local, so its walking distance for everyone. We don't have to buy books. Lunch doesn't cost any more than it would anyway. All we have to buy is a pen.

Thinking about it, yes I think EMA is a good idea for those who have to travel, but that's probably it. Certainly EMA spent on the students at my college is money wasted.

ReputationRep:
    Well I actually think that EMA helps young people to learn how to manage money I think the system can be unfair and like the orginal poster example of her Brother getting ema beacuse he lives with her dad I think that situation is unfair as is those working on the sly but reciving income support etc
    I disagree that bbooks etc should be given to students and also may I point out ema isnt just for that
    I think that at the lower end of the eaning bracket its a HUGE help, I think that it is somtimes seen a but pubihsing too those whose parents are in a higher earnings brackets since it dosnt mean tehere parents will have small outgoings or know how to mangage money( Im not suggesting that is the case of ayone on here) and also somone made the point of just beacuse youearn 30K it donst mean youll have money to give your kids anything well I think this is true partiully if you live in london or somwhere with high living costs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notebooksecrets)
    Well people at my college don't need EMA. College doesn't cost anything. All the students are local, so its walking distance for everyone. We don't have to buy books. Lunch doesn't cost any more than it would anyway. All we have to buy is a pen.

Thinking about it, yes I think EMA is a good idea for those who have to travel, but that's probably it. Certainly EMA spent on the students at my college is money wasted.
    But EMA wasn't designed to be spent on simply books, travel and stationery. Nowhere does the Government say this.

ReputationRep:
    But EMA wasn't designed to be spent on simply books, travel and stationery. Nowhere does the Government say this.
    And I quote
    "If you continue to learn and develop your skills, you could receive up to £30 a week to help you out with things like books, travel and equipment."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipper_99)
    That is harsh very harsh. I'm from a working class family. If it wasn't for EMA I certainly wouldn't be studying at college. Why? Because my family simply could not afford it. I wouldn't be able to travel to college and even if I could, I would end up not eating anything during my time in college.

Thanks to EMA I have reached my second year in college with very good results in my first year. Just think about that will you?
    Why is eating at home any different to taking your sandwhiches to college?
    + colleges/schools have subsidised canteens and free school meals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    And I quote
    "If you continue to learn and develop your skills, you could receive up to £30 a week to help you out with things like books, travel and equipment."
    Ok, and I quote:

"But EMA wasn't designed to be spent on simply books, travel and stationery. Nowhere does the Government say this."

By simply I meant 'only' and your quote states that EMA intends to 'help out' with things like these.

I stand somewhat corrected, but my original point still stands, even if it was rather badly worded.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.