Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well Im biased because I dont get it ...

But whoever mentioned about higher tax rates for higher earners has a good point. I think that my dad only just falls into the higher bracket for tax rates and he only just misses out on the higher pay band in his job. My mum doesnt earn much - shes a part time receptionist* who pays a fair bit in bus fairs getting to work but on paper, I shouldnt need EMA. Some people mention buying a car with their EMA to get to school with. Im really gonna struggle paying for lessons, never mind buying a car even with my parents helping me. And its not like my parents give me any money or we get to go on nice holidays each year. All in all, the system is probably worth it but it isnt always fair.

*Ironically, shes also a graduate - fat lot of good it did her.

Sorry for the poor grammar~ tired.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is definitely unfair. Income does not always reflect the family situation. What about families of 4 or 5 kids, just because this family has an income of above £30k or whatever the limit is, doesn't mean that they necesarily have the money to give to their kids. In my case ( I don't receive EMA ), my Dad is a plumber (don't believe the rubbish about them all being rich - it isn't true), and my mum works part-time at a primary school. Although their combined income comfortably goes over the limt you need to receive EMA, a large chunk of this money goes toward paying for the materials my Dad uses for his job. Therefore, in reality we do not have half as much money as the income suggests. Yet I am therefore unable to receive any EMA.

Don't get me wrong, i don't particularly need EMA, i get along fine with a job and occasional money from my parents. However the system just doesn't work. There are guys who have much more money than me who receive these payments but i can't get it. Bit of a bummer really.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fair at all. One of my mates got £30 a week in the first year, cos his dad started a new uni course. His parents had plenty of money before that though, and his grandparents provided a lot of cash. He's been on the insurance for two brand new Minis in about one year.

I can't even afford driving lessons without getting a job, which isn't the easiest thing ever. I only got £10 a week last year, and I don't qualify this year.

ReputationRep:
    EMA isn't meant to be for driving lessons anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    EMA isn't meant to be for driving lessons anyway.
    That's what 50% of the people in my school use it for though.

ReputationRep:
    Helps pay for that £3000+ uni course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xAllTheRagex)
    Helps pay for that £3000+ uni course.
    That's what student loans are for.

And not everyone spends their EMA on driving lessons and the like. I've just spend £20 on stuff for college and still haven't got everything I need.

ReputationRep:
    That's what student loans are for.

And not everyone spends their EMA on driving lessons and the like. I've just spend £20 on stuff for college and still haven't got everything I need.
    Loans have to be paid back and if you're of low income it helps to pay for food and accommodation as well.

ReputationRep:
    ive spoken about this issue before

i can't be bothered to voice my view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artemisuk)
    if u cud get EMA wud u really truthfully, honestly use just for school.

i used at the beginnign of the year to buy my books and equipment but after the 2nd week i had everything so i use my EMA to enjoy myself which is a must in sixth form cos the work is EVIL u need a chance to unwind or u'd explode seriously.

As level is a huge jump form GCSE believe me u need free time or face insanity I could never afford to if i didnt get EMA and don't say get a job i spend every nite after school and weekends , bar friday nite doin homework etc so its nothing to do with not wanting a job due to laziness so please keep the jelousy rant to urself ok?:cool:
    Since you posted months ago you probably won't reply to my response. But a lot of us who don't have ema and have to work have exactly the same workload as you do - but don't have the option of not working.

We're all in the same boat, but quite a few on ema (me included) give up lots of their precious spare time over to employment to support themselves through.

For what it's worth I find it strange that only a 1 or 2 of my friends who get EMA work while about 80% I'd say who don't get ema have a job hmmm I see a pattern.
    EMA works for some people who really need it, but it's quite a flawed system IMO

ReputationRep:
    I think its unfair, my parents can't afford to give me 30 pound every week.
    But yet the people who get it in my sixth form just spend it on going out at the weekend!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's fair, simply because it doesn't take into account how many people that household income is being shared between. There are six of us in my family, plus we're having to support my Grandparents at the moment as my Granddad was in an accident at work and they've stopped paying him.

On top of that, both of parents are also in part-time education. We're having to pay their fees as well.

The assumption seems to be that if your household earns over that threshold, you're going to be able to afford the resources and transport you need to go to school, when in half of the cases its not true.

ReputationRep:
    no, EMA is not fair, but nor is life.

ReputationRep:
    It is fair, some people especially with single parent families might not be able to afford to get the bus/train to school/college and then wouldn't be able to continue in education. My local sixth form college cost £6 a day to get to by train, not everyones parents can afford that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zosie)
    The assumption seems to be that if your household earns over that threshold, you're going to be able to afford the resources and transport you need to go to school, when in half of the cases its not true.
    Whilst this may be true, a lot of people who don't get EMA probably have a better standard of living than those who do get EMA.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst this may be true, a lot of people who don't get EMA probably have a better standard of living than those who do get EMA.
    Not necessarily - my friend on EMA has a car (brought mostly by her parents and she paid a little towards it, I'm presuming out of EMA money as she doesn't have a job) and has had enough lessons to pass, and petrol enough every week to keep the thing going.

I work to support myself, yet I can't even afford to take lessons.

In my experience a lot of my friends on EMA have the same if not better standard of living than me.
    Of course I am generalising here, and there are many people who really need ema (like my best friend!) I just tend to find in my experience that many people don't seem to need it.

So EMA's unfair but I actually don't know if I want it cancelled, because while I am very jealous towards those who get it and are able to get new haircuts every week, and drive their own cars, and go out at weekends there are people who really need it if they've any ope of going into further education.

I can't think of a way in which they could make it so it was a fair system, as in each situation there are so many things to consider and take into account. Plus God knows how this company would fare if they judged every case one by one:eek: people wouldn't get their money until they're own kids started sixth form

ReputationRep:
    my friend who gets EMA just spends it on subway every day anyway. -sigh-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    my friend who gets EMA just spends it on subway every day anyway. -sigh-
    At least they're eating healthily! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    At least they're eating healthily! :rolleyes:
    indeed. lol, don't even get me started on subway. :eek:

ReputationRep:
    EMA should be based on factors such as actual performance,progress,attendance, conduct etc etc rather than parents income.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.