Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well, the idea that if household is 30k and you can get evrything is quite subjective. It all depends on individual circumstances and the number of people in the family as well

ReputationRep:
    It is not fair at all. Yes just because my parents earn over £30k dosnt mean they give me £30 a week. I have a job and work, i dont say why anyone else can. Okay yeah maybe someone who dosnt earn over £30k is a single parent BLAH BLAH.. but can i just point out its not about the parent its about the student, im sure the eligble to get a job like everyone else. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobss.)
    It is not fair at all. Yes just because my parents earn over £30k dosnt mean they give me £30 a week. I have a job and work, i dont say why anyone else can. Okay yeah maybe someone who dosnt earn over £30k is a single parent BLAH BLAH.. but can i just point out its not about the parent its about the student, im sure the eligble to get a job like everyone else. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Hear hear! just cos my parents earn over £30k doesnt mean I see any of it most of my friends who live right near college still get it too whilst i have to work to pay over £100 p/month fares to college > system sucks.

ReputationRep:
    They're starting to charge us for bus travel to college from September 2011, when I'll be going into my 2nd year and really getting ready for college. I have a job, but all of that is going into a savings account ready for university and living expenses so that I don't have massive debts. I'll be eligible for the £60 a fortnight (Wales) payment and I certainly will be applying for it, because without it, I won't be able to get to college and I won't be able to fund my way through university. My parents are on benefits because neither can work other than therapeutically, and so can't afford all the stuff my friends' parents can afford. They always complain because they won't be eligible for EMA, but they get everything they ask for from their parents, whenever they want.

At least I know the value of money :/ but I'd much rather have two healthy parents without all their mental and physical problems rather than £60 a fortnight. Yes, it's helping me through my education, but what is education compared to having a healthy, happy family?

ReputationRep:
    I am not entitled to EMA because my Dad earns to much. I do not see a single £ of his money and I am struggling to find a job. I am financially screwed at the moment. The government reassures me my Dad can support me when he has clearly stated he won't give me any money for turning up to college like I am supposed to. All my friends that get EMA do not spend there £30 on supplies for college, maybe £10 of it a month goes to that and the rest goes to entertainment and booze. I think every one should be entitled to it as it has become clear EMA is just a Bribe to keep people who have just left school off JSA and get them back into school on a cheaper benefit called EMA. I think every one should get it or no one should.

ReputationRep:
    They always complain because they won't be eligible for EMA, but they get everything they ask for from their parents, whenever they want.

Having rich parents sucks! My dad earns well over 40k a year and so does my mum. I hardly see my mum because she works away from the city and my Dad is always working too so I see him for a few minutes in the evening. I don't have a job at the moment and I am not entitled to EMA because my parents earn so much and my parents made it clear that they weren't going to financially support me. I am lucky to get £10 a month off my dad and my mum stop giving me money years ago. I have no money nearly all the time (well until I find another job) and I would kick ass for £30 to help support me through college and help prep me for UNI. You don't know how lucky you are to have parents that are around even though they are poor. ME thinks lots of money can turn parents into d*cks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    It's kinda of ridiculous all of these brats saying it isn't fair because their parents don't give them £30 a week.

No, they don't. But I have a hard time believing that you live the same life as most of the people genuinely entitled to EMA. Just because the £30 a week doesn't enter your pocket personally doesn't mean that it isn't being spent on you. Clothes, food, books. All of these are bought to a higher standard (statistically proven) by higher income families.

Yes, there are people who are out there who get it who don't deserve it, and there are people who don't get it who do, but as a general rule, it's given to those who need it.

Get over it.
    All my friends that get EMA spend it on drink on the week end and you are telling me they need it? I actually want to have a career and half the "Brats" on EMA only go to college for EMA. My parents are rich and my family and financial life is some what shockingly bad in comparison to poor people. Yes I get my own room but that's all I get. Either no one gets EMA or every one does that is what the rule should be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanzMurphy)
    They always complain because they won't be eligible for EMA, but they get everything they ask for from their parents, whenever they want.

Having rich parents sucks! My dad earns well over 40k a year and so does my mum. I hardly see my mum because she works away from the city and my Dad is always working too so I see him for a few minutes in the evening. I don't have a job at the moment and I am not entitled to EMA because my parents earn so much and my parents made it clear that they weren't going to financially support me. I am lucky to get £10 a month off my dad and my mum stop giving me money years ago. I have no money nearly all the time (well until I find another job) and I would kick ass for £30 to help support me through college and help prep me for UNI. You don't know how lucky you are to have parents that are around even though they are poor. ME thinks lots of money can turn parents into d*cks!
    You can have my EMA. You can also have my struggling family, the worry of where today's meal is going to come from, having to talk both my parents out of suicide, having to answer the phone/door whether I'm in my pyjamas, on the toilet, asleep, whatever, because my parents are too ill to answer either. You can look after my little brother and sister all the time, comfort them when they're crying or when they're scared because our parents are ill. You can pick up the pieces after my parents argue and they're both ****ging each other off, threatening to divorce, and you can have my job, and you can call my boss when I'm due in work but can't get there because I have to look after my parents, and you can have the letters and meetings with the head of A Levels and my subject tutors because I'm missing college because I'm ill and stressed, or because I can't leave my parents for fear of what they'll do to themselves while I'm out. You can have the sleepless nights and getting told off because I was too busy trying to help out and catch up on sleep to do assignments. But of course, none of that matters, because you'll be getting a measly £30 a week.

Get a freaking sense of perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I had EMA in Sixth Form, and believe me, it really isn't fair. In honesty, I will admit that I didn't need it, but it was helpful when I wanted to buy things and such. But people do abuse it, this guy in my year who's father runs his own business doesn't have a set salary, thus he got the full 30 quid a week, and he had a Mercedes. It just isn't fair the system, they need to re-structure it completely.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Considering EMA is meant to aid students going to college it's really amazing that no one I know spends their EMA on travel, books, pens, paper. In fact (and I know this is NOT the case all over the country) the majority of people who get EMA at my college are only there for their EMA hence their 'easier' subjects.
    I reckon EMA should be available to everyone, perhaps subjected based?
    Clearly people doing maths should benefit and people doing media should get fook all?

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.